Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Ger Brennan often found it difficult to finish a match when he became a senior regular, I remember him punching a Kildare player for no apparent reason and being shown red - my mind was boggled. He has cleaned himself up quite a lot in so far as he doesn't give referees as many opportunities to send him off.

I feel like mentioning that I've met him a few times and he's an absolute gent off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ger Brennan often found it difficult to finish a match when he became a senior regular, I remember him punching a Kildare player for no apparent reason and being shown red - my mind was boggled. He has cleaned himself up quite a lot in so far as he doesn't give referees as many opportunities to send him off.

I feel like mentioning that I've met him a few times and he's an absolute gent off the field.
    Very religious by all accounts.

I'm just after reading that Mark McHugh might be available for Sunday, which would be a huge boost for Donegal's chances. Apologies if this was mentioned/discussed before.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/boost-for-donegal-as-mark-mchugh-cleared-of-concussion-ahead-of-quarter-final-clash-with-mayo-1.1479891

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'll start with I'm from Kerry before I get accused of bias.

Winning the ball is not the sole purpose of every tackle, you are still well within your rights to bury a fella if he gets a hospital pass or leaves himself open for the wallop. You are not trying to win the ball, you are trying to hit your opponent.

I'm from Kerry as well. This is all true but you can't frontally smash a player - that's not a tackle, it's a hit. As was rightly pointed out above, it's illegal in rugby union and for good reason.
    Mark McHugh was wide open for the kill as he went for the breaking ball, hands out in front of him, no power or protection from his upper or lower body and standing still almost and he got smashed. I don't think Gollogly did anything wrong.

You've described in perfect detail exactly what happened, but drawn the wrong conclusion. "Smashing" is not a legitimate tackling style in gaelic football. If Gollogly had come from the side and buried McHugh shoulder to shoulder it would be fine. Gollogly crashes into McHugh front on, that's how he managed to get McHugh's shoulder in his eye. It's not a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I'm just after reading that Mark McHugh might be available for Sunday, which would be a huge boost for Donegal's chances. Apologies if this was mentioned/discussed before.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/boost-for-donegal-as-mark-mchugh-cleared-of-concussion-ahead-of-quarter-final-clash-with-mayo-1.1479891

2 weeks after all those injuries. Cant be taking JMcG too seriously, as I cant imagine a 5cm tear in a thigh mends itself in 14 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

harpsman wrote: »
    Very religious by all accounts.

Yeah .. look Gers had his red cards like a lot of other lads - his have been high profile... but that doesn't make him vicious ... just hot headed, which would leave him open to a bit of confrontation ;)

As an aside... with the influx of new lads into the Dublin set up, one fella has been very much to the fore in settling the young fellas into the team, as it was put to me - (we) "the young lads look up to him - he's a legend" ... answers on a post card

2 weeks after all those injuries. Cant be taking JMcG too seriously, as I cant imagine a 5cm tear in a thigh mends itself in 14 days

A bit of mind games about player selection, Jimmy is hardly a pioneer. It did say that his leg was now the main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shrewdness wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I checked the tv schedule and there's no GAA on it, though I know they are sometimes slow to change the listings. Anyone else able to confirm or deny it?
    ok, one game on Saturday at least confirmed.
    16:40
    The Championship
    2013, Monaghan v Tyrone
    Coverage of the first All-Ireland quarter-final between Monaghan and Tyrone at Croke Park.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/ni/2013/08/03

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Thanks for that, that's the one I thought was most likely to be shown given it's an all-Ulster clash involving the Ulster champions.

I've heard this a few times, sometimes you form an opinion of a person from watching them on the pitch, but their every day persona is completely different.

Another example is Dick Clerkin, he's picked up a fair few cards in his time and been involved in the occasional incident on the pitch but I've met him before, and he too is a gent. And as you can see from his TV appearances he comes across very knowledgeable and articulate, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Both games are Live on RTE 2 Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Both games are Live on RTE 2 Saturday
    keep up!

We know what games are on free state telly BUT many were hoping to have the choice to avoid TV3 on the Sunday and are hanging on the hope of ad free BBC coverage.

the same TV3 who managed to cock up showing the presentation to the Monaghan team for the first time in 25years as adverts are more important than GAA milestones to them.

Good article by Dara O'Sé in today's Irish times on Monaghan, and his run-ins with them in '07 and '08. He also mentions the Gollogly-McHugh incident, and I think he's bang on the money. Here's the related part, full article in link below:

Physicality is just the culture of football in the county. It was then, it is now and it will be in the future. They even have Jim McGuinness on the run now. I thought his comments over the weekend were off the mark and actually I was surprised at him.

I don’t think any of the managers left in the championship can really be cribbing about physicality – not Jim, not Mickey Harte, not Eamonn Fitzmaurice.

The idea that Stephen Gollogly went out to target Mark McHugh in the Ulster final just doesn’t stand up. It was a full-blooded tackle, it was seriously physical, no doubt. And I don’t think there’s any question but that Gollogly would have known that he was going to crash into McHugh.

But the ball was there to be challenged for. He didn’t lift an elbow, he didn’t lift a knee or a foot or a fist. He went in bald-headed and came out of it badly himself. To my mind, it was a very brave tackle and it just showed the commitment of that Monaghan team that day.

Imagine you were in their dressing room at half-time and you were trying to regroup for the second half. You’re tired and sore after killing yourself for 38 minutes. You’re gathering yourself to go again in the second half. All you have to do is look over at Gollogly whose eye is totally closed due the impact of the tackle he put in. There was no way Monaghan were going to take the foot off the pedal for anyone after that.

Was it a physical challenge? Of course it was. Could he have slowed down and waited for McHugh to collect the ball? Of course he could. But wouldn’t McHugh have loved that? Wouldn’t Donegal have loved that? Gollogly’s tackle was fair, it was within the rules and it told Donegal what was going to be expected of them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/monaghan-s-physicality-isn-t-about-playing-dirty-it-s-just-in-their-football-dna-1.1479776?page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I think McGuinness is mistaking what's happening alright.

Teams facing Donegal know that they have to commit 100% for every ball. Donegal raised the intensity in football to the point where they win am all Ireland last year, smaller teams have to match that and challenge for every single ball.

I do think that McHugh deserved a free because he did manage to get the ball. But to claim that there was any intent in the collision other than for the ball is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Sure no one will ever know of he really meant to hit him hard. You can't say he did but you can't say he meant no harm either. It's probably a case of if I don't get the ball I'm going to do done damage anyway. I imagine everyone would do that to get an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Neeson wrote: »
    Sure no one will ever know of he really meant to hit him hard. You can't say he did but you can't say he meant no harm either.

By that logic he must meant to bust up his eye...!

Shure he probably just wanted off the pitch :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Cliste wrote: »
    By that logic he must meant to bust up his eye...!

Shure he probably just wanted off the pitch :pac:

Arah. Just because you go into a tackle with intent to cause harm doesn't mean you are incapable of causing yourself harm. (not that I'm taking sides, apparently my Donegal blood makes my arguement null and void :pac: )

Pat Kenny for the GAA on TV3?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Great stuff from Dara O'Sé. I could listen to him all day. There was a great bit of TV last year. Liam Hayes, Senan Connell and Dara O'Sé were on the tv3 sideline panel. They indicated that they had been talking at half time about Kevin Mcmanaman. When the commentator brought up Kevin on the live analysis to discuss if he'd be brought on, Senan Connell said Ahhaaaw sure Liam says he's not an inter county player. With that Connell and O'Sé cracked up laughing Hayes looked disgusted it was all very natural and funny, just a bit of fun compared the older lads who try to out do each other any chance they get. Hayse recovered and took it well to his credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Hayes and Brady are awful.
    Besides the fact they have a hatred for Dublin, their bias for Mayo is laughable.
    Something I really like about O'Se is he calls it how he sees it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lacey in the 15 for Donegal.

Modern day Lazarus obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Moneymaker wrote: »

Suppose it's bad enough not having McHugh, kind of forced his hand with Lacey.

Wouldn't be surprised if M McHugh did play yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

he got 20mins or so against laois so hardly a suprise. Even lacey a bit of the pace is a better option than anyone else on our bench.
    really need our midfielders and half forwards to step up a level if we are to have a chance (bar Ryan McHugh who has played well)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

overshoot wrote: »
    he got 20mins or so against laois so hardly a suprise. Even lacey a bit of the pace is a better option than anyone else on our bench.
    really need our midfielders and half forwards to step up a level if we are to have a chance (bar Ryan McHugh who has played well)

To be fair I thought David Walsh played well on Saturday in the half forward line. Ryan McHugh did well also.

gallyer wrote: »
    To be fair I thought David Walsh played well on Saturday in the half forward line. Ryan McHugh did well also.
    proabably am being a bit hard on walsh alright, mchugh id already removed, i reckon he was probably our best player over the last 2 games. i think bradley is probably making me tar the rest of them. wherrity's cameos have also been very poor, which is annoying as i thought he had done very well in the league games and could have been a good player for us this year.
    there is still nobody else id rather have for kickouts than gallagher, but he does look unfit

It's funny how TV3 only ever preview the games they're showing. No mention if the other games or their news bulletin.

Just mention something that isn't really newsworthy about a game they're showing so they can go "and you can watch those games live here exclusively on TV3..." Every night in the lead up to it. Don't worry. How could we forget you're going to show some matches and ruin them in the process.

Both Sunday's games are on BBC aswell, thanks be to jaysus.

Thomas Kane ‏@thomaskane1 24m
    Great news that @monaghangaa v@TyroneGAALive, @CavanCoBoardGaa v @Kerry_Official & @donegalgaa v @MayoGAA are all live on @bbcchampionship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭willabur

do the games be broadcast on iPlayer also

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Hayes and Brady are awful.
    Besides the fact they have a hatred for Dublin, their bias for Mayo is laughable.
    Something I really like about O'Se is he calls it how he sees it.

Is there any analyst who doesn't have a bias against Dublin?

Hayes is poor for me considering he's a controversial writer, Brady is ok.

Phantom team sheet? I wouldn't be surprised he comes on late in the match.
    overshoot wrote: »
    proabably am being a bit hard on walsh alright, mchugh id already removed, i reckon he was probably our best player over the last 2 games. i think bradley is probably making me tar the rest of them. wherrity's cameos have also been very poor, which is annoying as i thought he had done very well in the league games and could have been a good player for us this year.
    there is still nobody else id rather have for kickouts than gallagher, but he does look unfit

Bradley has been poor. Wherrity I thought was our best player against Monaghan, not that it is saying much, but he looks a very head down and run type of player. Gallagher didn't look unfit against Laois at all, he was involved in everything.
    shrewdness wrote: »
    Both Sunday's games are on BBC aswell, thanks be to jaysus.

Thomas Kane ‏@thomaskane1 24m
    Great news that @monaghangaa v@TyroneGAALive, @CavanCoBoardGaa v @Kerry_Official & @donegalgaa v @MayoGAA are all live on @bbcchampionship

Best analysis of the game, shame about the commentary.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Bradley has been poor. Wherrity I thought was our best player against Monaghan, not that it is saying much, but he looks a very head down and run type of player. Gallagher didn't look unfit against Laois at all, he was involved in everything.
    QUOTE]
    would agree with that description of wherrity but while i thought he tried against monaghan, didnt think anything came off for him at all.
    maybe match sharpness may have been a better description for gallagher, he did grow into the game, (very poor first 10mins imo). although considering i put him as our best player in the ulster final, im not sure how well it adds up!

Advertisement