Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Really hard to take McGuinness's comments on player safety all that seriously when you see footage like the following.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Really hard to take McGuinness's comments on player safety all that seriously when you see footage like the following.

Ummm, pot and kettle then isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

50-50 challenge, he lead with his shoulder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

68Murph68 wrote: »

That's a fantastic example.

/sarcasm.

Donegal came up short in many a physical duel, particularly against Armagh, 03 S/F springs to mind. I watched the 95 final on TG4 tonight, plenty of cynical fouling by Dublin in the last quarter of an hour. Traditional counties like Kerry, Meath and Galway don't do this type of stuff, only the Ulster upstarts.

McHugh and Lacey have been clearly marked out as targets against Donegal. Funny how the likes of Murphy and Gallagher aren't!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think that all teams do this, the real issue is management teams and media alies attempting to influence officials between games.
    It is my belief that McGuinness in his efforts to avoid negativity around his team will create issues after a defeat to dilute negative conversation about his team losing.

Mayo were at it against Dublin last year, and as a Dublin supporter I can say from what I saw from Gilroys team, Dublin would have done the same thing in that position.
    However thanks to Brolly I firmly believe that Donegal received a benefit in the final with the early Mayo bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Stoner wrote: »
    I think that all teams do this, the real issue is management teams and media alies attempting to influence officials between games.
    It is my belief that McGuinness in his efforts to avoid negativity around his team will create issues after a defeat to dilute negative conversation about his team losing.

Mayo were at it against Dublin last year, and as a Dublin supporter I can say from what I saw from Gilroys team, Dublin would have done the same thing in that position.
    However thanks to Brolly I firmly believe that Donegal received a benefit in the final with the early Mayo bookings.
    Well alot of the Mayo bookings in the final were borderline red cards so i dont know how you figure that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jim Corr must be related

Donegal selector Rory Gallagher with manager Jim McGuinnessSunday's All-Ireland SFC quarter-final between Donegal and Mayo is rapidly becoming the GAA's biggest grudge match in years.

It follows sensational claims made by Donegal assistant manager Rory Gallagher that Mayo offered advice to Monaghan on how to beat the All-Ireland champions when the counties met in a challenge match before the Ulster final. And this has led Gallagher to believe that the heavy challenge by Monaghan's Stephen Gollogly that forced Mark McHugh's early withdrawal, and which left the Kilcar man with concussion, a burst ear drum and a quad muscle injury, was pre-meditated.

"Maybe we suspect there was a bit of collusion between Monaghan and Mayo," Gallagher said in the Irish News.

"Bear in mind Lee Keegan's tackle on Mark McHugh at the start of last year's All-Ireland final. When Lee Keegan got booked, he came out and winked at a team-mate as if to say 'job done'.

"I don't believe for one minute that Gollogly went out to do the harm he did. He went out to hit him hard, but our player came out of it badly. I know Gollogly hurt himself as well.

"I don't believe Malachy O'Rourke sent any player out to 'do' anyone. That is not in his nature. But ask some of the top referees to view the incident. Was it a dangerous tackle? It was reckless and dangerous. At the end of the day, that deserves a red card."

The former Fermanagh star also claimed that well-known sports psychologist Kieran Shannon is advising Mayo manager James Horan on what to say to the media.

"I think Horan works to a pre-mediated script and I think Kieran Shannon is behind a good bit of it," Gallagher continued.

"I know Shannon fairly well. He was involved with Fermanagh when Malachy O'Rourke was there. I think Shannon is behind Horan's statements." - See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=197876#sthash.sYWa3Iiq.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

yop wrote: »
    Jim Corr must be related

This is fast turning into farce.

The poor me and everyone is out to get me attitude is getting pitiful now.

I haven't heard crying like it since Liam McHale in 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yop wrote: »
    Jim Corr must be related

Mcguinness does look a bit like milhouse...

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/saucer-people-1961302

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

This rubbish is absolutely embarrassing and the Donegal management are quickly becoming a laughing stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cringe worthy stuff this.
    Embarrassing at this stage. Any wonder these guys are despised across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

This rubbish is absolutely embarrassing and the Donegal management are quickly becoming a laughing stock
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Cringe worthy stuff this.
    Embarrassing at this stage. Any wonder these guys are despised across the country.

All mind games lads. Ye are falling for them now and mayo will on sun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Timmyctc wrote: »

It's gone beyond mind games at this stage, Gallagher's just coming out with complete nonsense. They're won't be winning many fans with their recent comments(not that they'll care), and it just make them look sore losers. Rory should do away with the tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Jim and his staff need to read the Alex Ferguson 'creating a siege mentality' handbook again. They're so transparent.

Kind of feel bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Timmyctc wrote: »
    how is it mind games when half the threads on hear are saying its Embarrassing and Cringe worthy stuff what was he thinking saying all that crap.i dont except a reply from horan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd say most of the Donegal players are embarrassed for their management too at this stage, it is somewhat similar to the Rafa Benitez facts rant.

We'll only be embarrassed if we lose Sunday.

Had Rafa have been able to back up his rants on the football field he would've been seen as a mind game genius :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He probably has a point about Horan. Whether he should have said it is another thing!

curry-muff wrote: »
    We'll only be embarrassed if we lose Sunday.

Had Rafa have been able to back up his rants on the football field he would've been seen as a mind game genius :pac:

Donegal wont win because of the rubbish that is spouted and the so called 'mind games' - they will win because they have some top class footballers.

Donegal wont win because of the rubbish that is spouted and the so called 'mind games' - they will win because they have some top class footballers.

We've always had top class footballers, Jim with his man management and motivation we're what gave them the kick up the arse that they needed.

You have to agree that his psychology is what quashed the classic Donegal discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

We've always had top class footballers, Jim with his man management and motivation we're what gave them the kick up the arse that they needed.

You have to agree that his psychology is what quashed the classic Donegal discipline.

This element of his 'psychology' is not a requisite for success. The players don't work harder because Jimmy talks **** to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

corny wrote: »
    This element of his 'psychology' is not a requisite for success. The players don't work harder because Jimmy talks **** to the media.

All hail The Blue Book !! ... I hope Donegal win an AI again soon it will give them another opportunity to conduct themselves with dignity as befits champions....

I don't have to agree!

They were able to perform quite efficiently without hypocritical ramblings last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

DoctaDee wrote: »
    All hail The Blue Book !! ... I hope Donegal win an AI again soon it will give them another opportunity to conduct themselves with dignity as befits champions....
    Not a lot of dignity in getting relegated from their division and getting a spanking from a division 3 side in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Davin Upper now open for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not a lot of dignity in getting relegated from their division and getting a spanking from a division 3 side in the championship.
    ah you can do better, two sides that will be in the same division next year and donegal barely survived the year them won sam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

overshoot wrote: »
    ah you can do better, two sides that will be in the same division next year and donegal barely survived the year them won sam!!!
    Monaghan do have a cracking record against Donegal in fairness, no excuse for the relegation though.

The League campaign smacked of MG trying to be more clever than he actually is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That's a good point, I think they are very good at staying on the field, also good at trying to get others off the field but excellent discipline

harpsman wrote: »
    Well alot of the Mayo bookings in the final were borderline red cards so i dont know how you figure that

Well borderline red or not they got yellow cards faster than they did at the previous game.

I'm using this as an example of mangment teams influencing games, it might also take from Donegals win but that is not my intention.

Donegal would have won regardless last year, they were better prepared and a better team imho . Mayo were really a year behind them in the overall view. Different story now though. I think Mayo has the hungriest team left in the championship , and I think that could very well get them over the line.
    Really looking forward to seeing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Great record by Cork,Kerry in the quarter finals can they keep it going this weekend?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/allireland-quarterfinal-record-200112-29464174.html

Advertisement