Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Monaghan do have a cracking record against Donegal in fairness, no excuse for the relegation though.

The League campaign smacked of MG trying to be more clever than he actually is.
    they got one less point than last year in the league (3w 4l (including 2 massive defeats) v 2w, 1d, 4l (4pt deficit max)) and went down... i dont see why people were surprised by our form in it to be honest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

overshoot wrote: »
    they got one less point than last year in the league (3w 4l (including 2 massive defeats) v 2w, 1d, 4l (4pt deficit max)) and went down... i dont see why people were surprised by our form in it to be honest

Didn't surprise thats for sure, if we won and AI I wouldn't give a fiddlers about it, even if we went to Div 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

This is serious pre-game craic for Sunday.

I don't know if Gallagher's comments are wise, but they sure are entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

This is serious pre-game craic for Sunday.

I don't know if Gallagher's comments are wise, but they sure are entertaining.

Pretty foolish/nonsensical if you ask me.Pure speculation/borderline paranoia.Mayo advising Monaghan on how to beat Donegal.The game will be won on the pitch on Sunday,nowhere else.These mind games,psycho babble although highly entertaining are given far too much importance.All heightened I think by Jim McGuinness's occupation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Gallagher has really annoyed me this year. Noticed him during the league games always on the pitch mouthing at opposition players and acting the wag to refs, I don't know how he hasn't been sent from the line.

Didn't notice it as much to this winter and its continued into the championship. Jim would want to have a word as he is embarrassing at this stage with his hard man act. Do the talking on the field lads no need for this infantile crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pretty foolish/nonsensical if you ask me.Pure speculation/borderline paranoia.Mayo advising Monaghan on how to beat Donegal.The game will be won on the pitch on Sunday,nowhere else.These mind games,psycho babble although highly entertaining are given far too much importance.All heightened I think by Jim McGuinness's occupation.
    in fairness it strikes me as a jose mourinho style job, its all about the management, not the players. the player performances isnt being analysed as they would be otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

greeno wrote: »
    Gallagher has really annoyed me this year. Noticed him during the league games always on the pitch mouthing at opposition players and acting the wag to refs, I don't know how he hasn't been sent from the line.

Didn't notice it as much to this winter and its continued into the championship. Jim would want to have a word as he is embarrassing at this stage with his hard man act. Do the talking on the field lads no need for this infantile crap.

Agreed. When I heard about the new rule limiting the number of people allowed on the sidelines, I felt bad for managers, who couldn't consult easily with their selectors if they were banished to the stands. I don't feel that way any more. Gallagher is an obnoxious little gobshyte who needs to be banished to the stands and made to fcuking stay there. End of !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agreed. When I heard about the new rule limiting the number of people allowed on the sidelines, I felt bad for managers, who couldn't consult easily with their selectors if they were banished to the stands. I don't feel that way any more. Gallagher is an obnoxious little gobshyte who needs to be banished to the stands and made to fcuking stay there. End of !

To be honest at first I thought it was Jim getting him to do his dirty work but I don't think that anymore. Jim (apart from last week) is normally the epitome of calm on the sideline. Gallagher is a great coach and a great tactician but the words 'too big for his boots' is coming to mind this season and I'm a Donegal man.

The sideline itself could be entertaining at this match! :D

Do think its a shame that they can't just stay stum and act like champions. There is no need for this, the game itself should be good enough without drama from the touchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

I'd say the game will be a big letdown and u wont hear any1 talking about it next week or ever again because it was that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

greeno wrote: »
    To be honest at first I thought it was Jim getting him to do his dirty work but I don't think that anymore. Jim (apart from last week) is normally the epitome of calm on the sideline. Gallagher is a great coach and a great tactician but the words 'too big for his boots' is coming to mind this season and I'm a Donegal man.

If he is getting too big for his boots then it is because the people of Donegal have regarded him as a demi-god up until now (at least according to Wikipedia) and he has risen to the rank of manager of Super Value in Killybegs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Gallagher_(Gaelic_footballer)

Martin McHugh also thinks highly of him. McGuinness decided to call upon Gallagher. Since his arrival McGuinness's team have twice won Ulster and in 2012 they got their hands on Sam the man himself. The people of Donegal now look upon Gallagher with awe and reverence and as a kind of demi-god to Jim's Messiah. Gallagher lives in Killybegs where he is the manager of the local Super Value.

But he has a right to be a little arrogant having been top scorer in Ulster for three consecutive years and scoring 3-9 against Monaghan in one game. And remember this was all when playing for Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

If he is getting too big for his boots then it is because the people of Donegal have regarded him as a demi-god up until now (at least according to Wikipedia) and he has risen to the rank of manager of Super Value in Killybegs.

Martin McHugh also thinks highly of him. McGuinness decided to call upon Gallagher. Since his arrival McGuinness's team have twice won Ulster and in 2012 they got their hands on Sam the man himself. The people of Donegal now look upon Gallagher with awe and reverence and as a kind of demi-god to Jim's Messiah. Gallagher lives in Killybegs where he is the manager of the local Super Value.

But he has a right to be a little arrogant having been top scorer in Ulster for three consecutive years and scoring 3-9 against Monaghan in one game. And remember this was all when playing for Fermanagh.
    Messiahs & Demi gods lord save us...supermarket manager weekdays and demi god at weekends..ott much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some lads had too much sauce after the AI final and 'improved' pretty much all the Donegal-related articles. Read the one on 'The System' if you want a laugh.

Syferus wrote: »
    Some lads had too much sauce after the AI final and 'improved' pretty much all the Donegal-related articles. Read the one on 'The System' if you want a laugh.

Lol...did you have a pikey at Michael Murphys wiki page? Kegs of drink..lsd and a bag of yokes as the rubberbandits might say before that was written

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is an unlikely scenario but everything is possible at this stage.

Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal and Dublin (or Cork, it doesn't matter) win at the weekend. Then Monaghan beat Donegal and Cavan beat Dublin in the semis making a Cavan Monaghan final. Monaghan win making them All Ireland champions having played against only Ulster teams, Antrim, Cavan, Donegal and Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal and Dublin (or Cork, it doesn't matter) win at the weekend. Then Monaghan beat Donegal and Cavan beat Dublin in the semis making a Cavan Monaghan final. Monaghan win making them All Ireland champions having played against only Ulster teams, Antrim, Cavan, Donegal and Tyrone.

That would be interesting alright! In that case, would they actually be "All-Ireland" champions???:P

Cant see those teams winning at the weekend however!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

It really won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Lol...did you have a pikey at Michael Murphys wiki page? Kegs of drink..lsd and a bag of yokes as the rubberbandits might say before that was written

My favourite part..
    Against Kerry on 10 March, man of the match Murphy dispatched a penalty and five points in Donegal's comfortable victory over the league's whipping boys.

Ironic.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    My favourite part..

Ironic.

The quality of the article sunk to the bottom of the ocean when comparisons were drawn to Messi & Ronaldo ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Holy jesus there is some rot on that Michael Murphy wiki page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

And they call Dublin fans bandwagoners....:rolleyes:

Moneymaker wrote: »

Oh I've never seen anything quite like the Donegal bandwagon, people who openly mocked the sport a few years back are the biggest fans now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

In fairness the stuff on Wikipedia is reference so it's fine. It has been backed up by news articles and the like. Might be a bit OTT but the story is correct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Moneymaker wrote: »

Well it does happen in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Syferus wrote: »

Was just reading that the other day. Reads like Jimmy wrote it himself.

Was just reading that the other day. Reads like Jimmy wrote it himself.
    Now they are the "FC Barcelona of Gaelic football"—with Michael Murphy cast as the Lionel Messi of the team.

That's just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The whole Donegal bandwagon is just embarrassing at this stage. Hope Mayo put them out on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

"Under "The System", players whose careers were thought to be behind them have been revived. Players such as Ryan Bradley and Anthony Thompson have emerged as if from nowhere. The top teams in Gaelic football—Tyrone, Kerry and Cork, who had dominated the sport over the previous decade—have been made to appear merely ordinary, and have been swatted aside with relative ease."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Only way out of this is to as mentioned above blame it on someone who is drunk, or on someone outside the county.

Advertisement