Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Guess I do like some Indie games then, I didn't think either were published by independent devolpers :)

I would have thought Dayz might have come under it but then it was only a mod,his current standalone is backed by Bohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

COYVB wrote: »
    I think you're misunderstanding what "indie" means tbh

I know exactly what indie means. If you look at most of the popular indie games doing the rounds at the moment most of them have some sort of a cleaver concept that has been developed in the easiest way possible with simple graphics.

When I play a game I want to be drawn into a world that seems as real as possible, so cartoons don't do it for me. 2 perfect examples are KSP and Prison Architect, good ideas, bad graphics.

I don't know of any indie games with top quality ultra realistic graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Orcs must Die
    Trine,

Are two off the top of my head that look very nice.

Mark of the Ninja is aesthetically beautiful too.

It goes without saying that sometimes Indy games show more polish and artistry than big publisher published titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I think Ice Pick Lodge is an independent developer.

The Void was an incredibly visually striking game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jernal wrote: »
    Orcs must Die
    Trine,

Are two off the top of my head that look very nice.

Mark of the Ninja is aesthetically beautiful too.

It goes without saying that sometimes Indy games show more polish and artistry than big publisher published titles.
    TomCo wrote: »
    I think Ice Pick Lodge is an independent developer.

The Void was an incredibly visually striking game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

Still cartoony though, they're just not my ideal type of game. I've never found an Indy game that would do more than amuse me for a few of hours. I much prefer games like Fallout that I could spend 100+ hours on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of this post given your name. :)

It means I'm going to murder you all in your sleep and steal your accounts and put Gabe on the throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

kind of off-topic but is anyone else having problems getting onto steam chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GarIT wrote: »
    I know exactly what indie means. If you look at most of the popular indie games doing the rounds at the moment most of them have some sort of a cleaver concept that has been developed in the easiest way possible with simple graphics.

When I play a game I want to be drawn into a world that seems as real as possible, so cartoons don't do it for me. 2 perfect examples are KSP and Prison Architect, good ideas, bad graphics.

I don't know of any indie games with top quality ultra realistic graphics.

Warframe

Though, honestly, if you base your opinion of games around graphics, I don't think you're the target audience of most developers. Activision and EA are happy to have your custom though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Bought civ5 but honestly I dont get it, whats the goals? Could it be im too used to total war?

This is actually a really good question and I was wondering the same thing when I got Civ 4. It's a bit weird just playing a regular game by yourself since you set all the rules. There's no actual story-based campaign really, every game Generally, if you're by yourself you'll be playing either the "Scenarios" which are basically missions that assign objectives to you. There are only a few in the game but you can always get more from the bottomless pit of mods out there.

The best way to play imo though is local multiplayer. You can play Hot Seat (i.e. take turns on one PC) but it's really good fun if you have someone else to play with on their own PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Trine Collection bought today,. Need to ease myself off the steam sale gently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

COYVB wrote: »
    Warframe

Though, honestly, if you base your opinion of games around graphics, I don't think you're the target audience of most developers. Activision and EA are happy to have your custom though

Each to their own...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Prison Architect is fun. Though it's a bit mad that you get 24 hours to build a place to house four prisoners, hopefully when the game is finished you can build for as long as you want before opening up. My prisoners are arriving in 4 hours and there're workmen laying cables, pipes, tiles, installing fridges and tables and all the doors are wide open. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Prison Architect is fun. Though it's a bit mad that you get 24 hours to build a place to house four prisoners, hopefully when the game is finished you can build for as long as you want before opening up. My prisoners are arriving in 4 hours and there're workmen laying cables, pipes, tiles, installing fridges and tables and all the doors are wide open. :pac:

Lol you can open your 'Reports' book down bottom right corner. Click on the 'Prisoners' tab and click on the green part beside 'normal risk' that says 'Open' it will change to 'Closed' and turn red. Then you can build for as long as you want! :D :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

DaLad wrote: »
    Lol you can open your 'Reports' book down bottom right corner. Click on the 'Prisoners' tab and click on the green part beside 'normal risk' that says 'Open' it will change to 'Closed' and turn red. Then you can build for as long as you want! :D :P

You're my hero! Thank you. :D

:D:DPrisonArchitect2013-07-2322-45-49-87.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does it annoy anyone else all the letters bar one are capitalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

It's the creativity that counts :p

Don't suppose anyone is interested Frozen Synapse as a trade?

Does it annoy anyone else all the letters bar one are capitalised?

I have a touch of OCD myself haha :p

The effort of the curve on a capital D put me off it! :D

Then why not go all smalls D:

Then why not go all smalls D:

...because then I would have had the same problem with a small 'a' but apart from that I had started without thinking :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You almost have the D with that O, it's closer to an O than a D.:D

You almost have the D with that O, it's closer to an O than a D.:D

haha fu*k off! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fatto

I wasted most of my emergency savings on the Steam sale, now the house is up for repossession and the wife left me when she saw me playing Euro Truck Simulator 2. She was disgusted. She took the kids with her. Speaking of Euro Truck Simulator 2, I was playing so much of it that I missed two days of work and as a result have been laid off from my job as an actual truck driver.

fatto wrote: »
    I wasted most of my emergency savings on the Steam sale, now the house is up for repossession and the wife left me when she saw me playing Euro Truck Simulator 2. She was disgusted. She took the kids with her. Speaking of Euro Truck Simulator 2, I was playing so much of it that I missed two days of work and as a result have been laid off from my job as an actual truck driver.

Play some more Euro Truck Simulator. Be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've checked Steam 4 times today, to see what the daily's, flash and CC are.

:(

What do I do now?

Regenerate your wallet in preparation for the Autumn sale.

What do I do now?

Last Steam Sale I participated in also had its own withdrawal thread. I think, that's what we should do now. I mean, I wanted to buy Trine today. Trine! I already own that. :o

Another benefit from being from Cavan. We count our loot and are happy not to spend a penny more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

What do I do now?

Build a new PC to play the new games on of course.

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    Build a new PC

With what exactly? Trading cards?

Advertisement