Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

The recent update fixed a problem I was having. When I connected my NAS to the Horizon box when I got it first, it wouldn't recognize the NAS. I tried everything without success. I even reconnected my Thomson router which worked fine with the NAS, turned off DHCP on the Horizon but I think it had been disconnected by UPC. When I reconnected the Horizon I couldn't re-enable DHCP even after several factory resets, had to get onto UPC who re-enabled it.

Last Friday when I turned off the box just after midnight I noticed the update being done. When it was completed I tried my media player again and bingo!! it could see the NAS. Streaming happily since. I haven't had any of the other problems I've been reading about here (quickly touch wood :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

ted1 wrote: »
    Not to pushed about the 5ghz, I think that these may be for there use so as to enable public WiFi as stated by UPC in a link earlier on in the thread.

Even if UPC said that, that wouldn't make sense. Why use a different (much less supported) bandwidth spectrum? They could have 2 x 2.4GHz if they wanted to do that (not sure that Horizon is capable of that though)

The reason it's built in is absolutely to allow 5GHz-compatible devices to use it, while non-compatible ones can continue to use 2.4GHz. The bottom of the box even has the key for the separate access point.

If UPC want to intro public wifi and they intend to do it using only 5GHz APs, it's not going to prove very popular....

On another note, I really wish they'd make the router's DHCP more permissive. On the Thomson router, you could turn on DHCP, and still manually configure certain devices not to use DHCP, and set their own IP address/DNS configuration.

On the Horizon box, if DHCP is turned on, it refuses connection to any device which sets its own IP address or DNS. Even if the IP is within the Horizon's assigning range, and currently free.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

My wifi range has definately improved , can get it where I couldn't get it before .It could still be a bit stronger though .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

On another note, I really wish they'd make the router's DHCP more permissive. On the Thomson router, you could turn on DHCP, and still manually configure certain devices not to use DHCP, and set their own IP address/DNS configuration.

On the Horizon box, if DHCP is turned on, it refuses connection to any device which sets its own IP address or DNS. Even if the IP is within the Horizon's assigning range, and currently free.

I have a lot of devices with static IP addresses assigned through their own configuration and they work,
    they just don't show up in the dhcp client list.
    In fact I just changed this PC to a static address and it disappeared from the list but is still working OK.
    I do make sure they are all outside the dhcp range though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

My wifi range has definately improved , can get it where I couldn't get it before .It could still be a bit stronger though .

Mine has improved too. Now have fairly solid connections with little dropping.

Overall the Horizon is great. And it has the potential to be really, really great. Stability is crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

remote control freezing a lot today what's causing this we need to know the reason this keeps happing

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I have a lot of devices with static IP addresses assigned through their own configuration and they work,
    they just don't show up in the dhcp client list.
    In fact I just changed this PC to a static address and it disappeared from the list but is still working OK.
    I do make sure they are all outside the dhcp range though.

Can't get that to work. The devices in question don't have the option to do DHCP with manual address. It's either DHCP or fully manual. And the latter won't work, even if the only change is a manually defined IP (whether it's inside or outside the range). It connects to the AP, but without internet access.

The way I've tried to do it (with countless variations) worked fine on the Thomson router.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

enjoying the trial thus far but my wireless speeds from 100Mb are only, on average, about 30-40Mb. I know wireless can be up and down but shouldn't I be getting more? any advice appreciated.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

30-40 on wireless is actually very good.

If you wish to improve these speeds you should set the router to wireless N only (which means all older wireless devices which don't support wireless N wont work) and also ensure that your using the most appropriate channel, taking into consideration the fact that some device's cant see the upper channels..blah blah blah regurgitated techie stuff you could find out by googling "expected wireless n speeds"

In short, tis grand what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭ted1

paulboland wrote: »
    remote control freezing a lot today what's causing this we need to know the reason this keeps happing

Have you pressed the buttons on the box? I think the remote is fine its the box, you don't need to know the reason, you just need it to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Can't get that to work. The devices in question don't have the option to do DHCP with manual address. It's either DHCP or fully manual. And the latter won't work, even if the only change is a manually defined IP (whether it's inside or outside the range). It connects to the AP, but without internet access.

The way I've tried to do it (with countless variations) worked fine on the Thomson router.
    Leave the box on DHCP but configure the device fully manual with these settings:
    Client IP: 192.168.192.x <= where x must be somewhere between 100 and up.
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (a /24 network)
    Default gateway: 192.168.192.1

Those manual configured devices should(!) disappear from the DHCP list, because they are NOT leasing an IP from DHCP any more.
    The DHCP protocol is trying to lease an IP but if there will be a conflict it will exclude that IP from the lease list.

ted1 wrote: »
    Have you pressed the buttons on the box? I think the remote is fine its the box, you don't need to know the reason, you just need it to work
    when you get remote control freeze buttons on box wont work but if you shake the remote it come back there is a problem with box getting signal from the remote and then causing box and remote functions to freeze
    Its something to do with the signal sensor on the box or remote
    This is not every day just happens on odd day I had 1 full week it did not happen but when it does happen its a good few time during a day then following days its ok until it happen again
    So its an unknown cause that's needs to be fixed as something is causing the problem
    Until UPC find out the cause of the freezing it cant be fixed
    You can only fix something when you know the problem why its happening and then find a fix for problem
    Note Remote Control freeze the TV source and volume work ok not affected but all horizon functions of remote don't work when freeze arrives work so its something to do with sensor on horizon receiving remote signal and causing lock up of the box but comes back by itself if you wait or by shaking the remote get back quicker
    Its a signal time receive from box causing delay and this is still happing in Holland and they have this from last year so its either a software or hardware problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've no problem with the remote, might be a faulty gyro and the remote doesn't know which side of the keys to use.

As I said you don't need tonknow the cause, UPC do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 danskulz

Hey guys, Im having a problem with connecting my xbox to the wireless i dont have the option to use wired with the horzion box being downstairs, any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

danskulz wrote: »
    Hey guys, Im having a problem with connecting my xbox to the wireless i dont have the option to use wired with the horzion box being downstairs, any help would be great
    You need to change the security to WPA instead of WPA2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

Meesared wrote: »
    You need to change the security to WPA instead of WPA2

That worked for me with the xBox.

However, I now cant get the WiiU to connect wirelessly after changing to WPA. I heard that assignig a static IP to the Xbox will work with WPA2 seciruty on the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Two attempts at recording the Rugby on tg4, both recorded only one minute. Checked during the second attempt today and it had recorded 28 minutes of about 80 minutes of the show, but was only one minute when I checked recordings later.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Has anyone been able to fix the AirPlay/Bonjour blocking? Tried to AirPlay tonight and my AppleTV isn't findable.

I've had (and continue to have) issues with using my AirPlay speaker since I got the Horizon box. Most times my idevices can't detect the speaker, even though it indicates it's connected to my wireless network. Sometimes the device can see the speaker but when i try to stream audio to it nothing happens. And even when i do manage to stream audio, 9 time out of 10 it will stutter and/or drop the connection.

Very frustrating, as I got the speaker as a Christmas present and it worked perfectly with the UPC modem I had before the Horizon box replaced it.

I've tried enabled uPnP and multicast, changing channel and limiting the wireless to G but to no avail.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

paulboland wrote: »

By freezing do you mean you are pressing the buttons on the remote and the box stops responding?

For example if you press 'back' and then use the arrow keys to 'scroll' up or down the channels it stops on a channel and ignores the fact that you are continuing to press the arrow key?

If so then I have this issue too and have had since day 1. The box is simply not responsive enough to the remote.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    By freezing do you mean you are pressing the buttons on the remote and the box stops responding?

For example if you press 'back' and then use the arrow keys to 'scroll' up or down the channels it stops on a channel and ignores the fact that you are continuing to press the arrow key?

If so then I have this issue too and have had since day 1. The box is simply not responsive enough to the remote.
    Yes the above happens but the power buttons on box also freeze but something strange shaking the remote un freezes the box or its just the time day coming back of previous buttons pressed
    Has been ok on sunday and today so far been ok I not sure what the cause if its the remote causing the problem for the box to freeze or the box freezing making the remote not work as the tv vol and source buttons work ok they don't freeze so its something wrong with the box getting info from remote when functions of horizon remote pressed but not affecting TV Volume or its source functions
    I wonder as this remote has two sides keyboard side and Standard side getting signal info send to box causing the freeze I like to know if the previous non keyboard remote was there a freezing problem with that remote

So any of you who had the box on early trial with previous remote was the any problems with that remote freezing LET US KNOW PLAESE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

D'oh! I think the biggest problem I've been having with the Horizon box (green screen, or video with no audio every morning, rebooting the box required), may be due to my AV receiver. I tried plugging the Horizon directly into the TV, and the first time it had no audio, but just turning it off and on again via the remote fixed it.

It's weird that both the old UPC HD box and the Horizon box have problems starting up every single day; but none of my other devices (AppleTV, Xbox 360, PS3) have any issues.

Unless UPC can fix this incompatibility, I guess I need a new AV receiver. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i use my harmony remote as main remote and the horizon remote if need to type anything in youtube etc. so wouldn't use it that often.

over the weekend the back keyboard just didn't work, if i flipped the remote around i could use the up / down/ left / right keys to type in search

Has anyone else noticed this?

Regarding horizon, i quite like the box, was expecting it to be a little faster in moving between screens etc.

For youtube, if you could put in a recently searched section that would be great to save re-typing stuff.

Main gripe, is the wifi distance, have practically no coverage in bedroom (from GS4 and laptop), previoulsy on my tplink router this was way better, never excellent though.

ciaran75 wrote: »
    i use my harmony remote as main remote and the horizon remote if need to type anything in youtube etc. so wouldn't use it that often.

over the weekend the back keyboard just didn't work, if i flipped the remote around i could use the up / down/ left / right keys to type in search

Has anyone else noticed this?

Regarding horizon, i quite like the box, was expecting it to be a little faster in moving between screens etc.

For youtube, if you could put in a recently searched section that would be great to save re-typing stuff.

Main gripe, is the wifi distance, have practically no coverage in bedroom (from GS4 and laptop), previoulsy on my tplink router this was way better, never excellent though.
    Put your tplink router in wireless access mode that way you can use it to connect by wireless if your router supports access mode should do as most wireless routers can
    If you need help setting that up message me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Just flicking channels Film 4 saying locked programme
    On my Free sat its Die Hard WTF not a happy camper why is this locked.
    Did anyone do the survey..

Do you have to pay for Setanta HD? Mine says contact UPC to subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hootanany wrote: »
    Just flicking channels Film 4 saying locked programme
    On my Free sat its Die Hard WTF not a happy camper why is this locked.
    Did anyone do the survey..

I think default parent controls are set to 15s. Check the settings and you can disable it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

nialldinho wrote: »
    I think default parent controls are set to 15s. Check the settings and you can disable it

Will do thanks

Synode wrote: »
    Do you have to pay for Setanta HD? Mine says contact UPC to subscribe.
    you should have it what TV package you on value/select/max

Complete 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

who_me wrote: »
    D'oh! I think the biggest problem I've been having with the Horizon box (green screen, or video with no audio every morning, rebooting the box required), may be due to my AV receiver. I tried plugging the Horizon directly into the TV, and the first time it had no audio, but just turning it off and on again via the remote fixed it.

It's weird that both the old UPC HD box and the Horizon box have problems starting up every single day; but none of my other devices (AppleTV, Xbox 360, PS3) have any issues.

Unless UPC can fix this incompatibility, I guess I need a new AV receiver. :(

Ok, after a considerable amount of wrestling with the cable-octopus behind my TV, I've realised the problem is with the HDMI switch, not with the AV receiver.

If I plug:
    Horizon box -> AV Receiver -> TV - no problems

But if I plug:
    Horizon box -> HDMI switch -> TV - no audio, or green screen with no image or audio.

Odd that it effects both UPC boxes, but not the AppleTV or games consoles. I guess I'll try a different HDMI switch. Is anyone else using one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement