Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

dak wrote: »
    can anyone advise on the best wifi extender. I live in an old bungalow with pretty solid thick walls and wifi coverage is poor at one end of the house. I have a second computer near the kitchen getting Broadband via a Netgear ethernet box ( plug in wall socket type) .

I get about 30mbs on the second computer which is adequate ( would like to get closer to 100mb but probabley need to change computer and ethernet boxes) . However wifi coverage is poor or non existant in the kitchen. I was thinking of getting a wireless dongle for the second computer but wondering what is the best type to get ?

You are very unlikely to get 100Mb through wireless, less so with a wireless extender (they normally half the wireless speed). Ideally put in a cable, even over the roof of the house, or ran on the outside.

For best wireless coverage place the access point in the centre of the house, for maximum speed nearest the devices being used.

For maximum wireless speed, have most devices wired and do not use the wireless on the UPC box. Instead buy a seperate unit, specifically designed for maximum speeds. It's a bit off topic so ask in the wireless section:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm trying to get port forwarding set up but having problems. Even starting small and trying to access the horizon box using it's external IP from outside the home network doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree. Working reasonably well, other than interface design flaws.

I too have not setup broadband/phone or connected to computer, I believe this may be causing other peoples issues.

dak wrote: »
    I must be one of the lucky ones ( touch wood) who didn't get a Horizon box that was built on a Monday. Can't say I have any problems with the box apart from the first day or two. Its a big improvement on the old one and I'm quite happy with it !

My box is unconsolidated so only using it for TV. Are the problems been reported on this thread mainly confined to those using Horizon as a 3 in 1 box I wonder ?

On a slightly off topic issue can anyone advise on the best wifi extender. I live in an old bungalow with pretty solid thick walls and wifi coverage is poor at one end of the house. I have a second computer near the kitchen getting Broadband via a Netgear ethernet box ( plug in wall socket type) .

I get about 30mbs on the second computer which is adequate ( would like to get closer to 100mb but probabley need to change computer and ethernet boxes) . However wifi coverage is poor or non existant in the kitchen. I was thinking of getting a wireless dongle for the second computer but wondering what is the best type to get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I have noticed remote freezing is fixed by opening battery compartment and moving batteries or shaking your remote
    it looks like the remote does not hold batteries firm and become a bit loose with use this is the cause of the remote freezing
    They need to sort this as its a fault design and need to replace the remote to all customers who are experiencing there remote freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

paulboland wrote: »
    I have noticed remote freezing is fixed by opening battery compartment and moving batteries or shaking your remote
    it looks like the remote does not hold batteries firm and become a bit loose with use this is the cause of the remote freezing
    They need to sort this as its a fault design and need to replace the remote to all customers who are experiencing there remote freezing

To be honest, I don't personally think that is the reason, in the majority of cases, as I have actually tried that and the remote works fine when trying to control the "TV" functions - sound, source etc.
    To me it looks as if the box "stops" responding to the remote.

Even removing and reseating the batteries makes no odds, for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

kippy wrote: »
    Some people, myself included, never got a link for any survey via email.
    The only place I spotted the link to a survey was on this thread........

I never got any email with a survey link and only now getting round to finding this thread, DOH!. I'm sure my questions have been asked a million times so apologies in advance but...

1. Isn't the remote crap?, responsiveness is wretched.
    2. Does a pre-planned recording not record if the box is on standby?, mine did not.
    3. Anybody able to set up a recording via the online TV guide i.e. here https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/tv-guide.html. Mine tells me "We could not book the recording because there was not enough information".
    4. Is there no way to pause/rewind a movie one is watching via on demand?, watched "Flight" the other nite and could not goto jax until end and even then there was no way to get back to regular TV unless one powers the box off?

So my horizon box has crashed. 3 bars scrolling accross the box non stop.
    Rang UPC and they said my box had received an update today and the update must not have worked.
    So am without tv till they get some one to call me back tomorrow.
    If I had a consolidated box I would be absolutely furious. Thankfully I insisted on keeping my EPC3925.
    Anyone know how to manually reset the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

So my horizon box has crashed. 3 bars scrolling accross the box non stop.
    Rang UPC and they said my box had received an update today and the update must not have worked.
    So am without tv till they get some one to call me back tomorrow.
    If I had a consolidated box I would be absolutely furious. Thankfully I insisted on keeping my EPC3925.
    Anyone know how to manually reset the box?

Yikes. I'm a bit wary of turning on the TV when I go home!

I've a problem where I have to reboot the box every day when I get home (otherwise box turns on, but no picture/sound), and since I am using the Horizon box for Wifi, I can't use that either until it boots up again.

How are you still using the 3925? Is it plugged in via Ethernet into the Horizon box? Or plugged into the cable via a splitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Just playing with the guide and have an idea that should be simple to implement. Pressing one of the arrow buttons would bring up a 'minimised'version of the Single Channel view guide, taking up the lower third of the screen. Then you can scroll up and down through the rest of the evening shows, or left and right through the channels.

Thus replicating the now/next view that is so badly lacking. Think I'll be happy then. ..

who_me wrote: »
    Yikes. I'm a bit wary of turning on the TV when I go home!

I've a problem where I have to reboot the box every day when I get home (otherwise box turns on, but no picture/sound), and since I am using the Horizon box for Wifi, I can't use that either until it boots up again.

How are you still using the 3925? Is it plugged in via Ethernet into the Horizon box? Or plugged into the cable via a splitter?
    The horizon box is actually plugged into my Netgear router which is connected to my EPC3925 which is in bridged mode. Have not had a single issie wiyh internet since installing the netgear router a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sexylou138

Can anyone tell me in simple term's how to use my 3925 modem. I want to use the LAN instead of the WiFi. My Horizon box is downstairs. I have a split connection. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sexylou138

Anyone know what error 9020 means ??
    My Twonky stops and it shows this error :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

sexylou138 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me in simple term's how to use my 3925 modem. I want to use the LAN instead of the WiFi. My Horizon box is downstairs. I have a split connection. Thanks in advance :)

UPC need to re-enable the 3925 as it is disabled automatically once the horizon is setup. The procedure for configuring the unit is earlier in the thread, but UPC need to switch it over first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Has anyone been able to fix the AirPlay/Bonjour blocking? Tried to AirPlay tonight and my AppleTV isn't findable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Seems to have gotten a big update tonight , but can't see a difference other than not recording scheduled programs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has anyone been able to fix the AirPlay/Bonjour blocking? Tried to AirPlay tonight and my AppleTV isn't findable.

No problem air playing here , I have the ATV hard wired to the horizon box and the iPhone finds it no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

Got my sky Box reinstalled yesterday...soooooooo happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

mollser wrote: »
    Just playing with the guide and have an idea that should be simple to implement. Pressing one of the arrow buttons would bring up a 'minimised'version of the Single Channel view guide, taking up the lower third of the screen. Then you can scroll up and down through the rest of the evening shows, or left and right through the channels.

Thus replicating the now/next view that is so badly lacking. Think I'll be happy then. ..

You know that if you push 'Menu' and then 'OK' you can scroll up and down through what's on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Wireless Signal strength keeps dropping since last nights update
    use to happen the odd time before update I am using insider software to monitor wireless connection and its signal power its dropping a lot more than before
    Wired connection is grand but for others going to use wireless connection this will be a problem
    Wireless strength is from 29-35 on average but then drops to 65 a lot only happened a few times before
    I also have a belkin Wireless Router set up as a access Point and its wireless strength is 25 and it never drops its signal strength ever
    Horizon Wireless Signal is not up to high standard should keep a good signal strength and not be dropping its strength
    UPC need to fix this as not everyone will have another wireless router as a access point
    If a wireless router signal strength drops its signal power a lot will cause poor performance with any wireless device
    Its a Hardware problem or a Software problem if its a Hardware problem then that's a major problem
    If its a software problem then should be fixed by an update
    Signal strength by the way for wireless the lower is the better -25 is very good -65 means its bad it should always be same signal strength
    Note placement of horizon box will be important you will see difference when you move it and is good way to see what's best location for the horizon box
    Wireless device will need to near or close to router for test
    Can all if possible download insider software and run tests on your wireless signal strength you will need to look at it for at least full 1 hour and the check every day after that for a few min
    A good signal strength will be in green and maintain its value with only minor change but should always be highlight in green if its showing yellow or orange you have a bad wireless signal also your link score should be in the range of 42 and above at least higher the link score the better
    A good link score by the way is above 50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm glad I'm not the only one, none of my scheduled recordings are working on the box either.

Does anybody know how to factory reset the box? Also in doing so will I lose my previously recorded items?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Just got a survey email... what time did they deploy the June 14 code, has it been done already do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

You know that if you push 'Menu' and then 'OK' you can scroll up and down through what's on now?

Obviously I know that, but do you seriously think that is in anyway as convenient as the traditional now/next functionality used on basically every other digital set top box, over the air, satellite or cable? You have to scroll to see what's next and can only see what's next - not whats on later. Its a terribly designed function.

Anyway, without the ability to skip up/down by a full page renders the full guide very clunky

I actually think that dropping the 4 coloured buttons from the face of the control has left them very short of shortcut options, silly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

The WIFI range of the Horizon box is killing me, can get it out the back garden or in the attic conversion. there was no problem when using the old router..

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The WIFI range of the Horizon box is killing me, can get it out the back garden or in the attic conversion. there was no problem when using the old router..

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this?

You could purchase a wireless access point or contact UPC and ask them to go back to non consolidation of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Just got a survey email... what time did they deploy the June 14 code, has it been done already do you know?

i got this email too...does this meen that i can now download 4 free films because i havent used the first 2

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

i got this email too...does this meen that i can now download 4 free films because i havent used the first 2

They just put credit on your bill I presume like last time.

Not home to check out what the updates are like and if they work.

This new code includes improvements to the My Recordings and On Demand aspects of Horizon TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

ted1 wrote: »
    Seems to have gotten a big update tonight , but can't see a difference other than not recording scheduled programs

Hi ted1,

If you could PM UPC: Reps with your account details we will have a member of our Horizon Team contact you to discuss your experience since the latest update.

Thanks

Achilles wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one, none of my scheduled recordings are working on the box either.

Does anybody know how to factory reset the box? Also in doing so will I lose my previously recorded items?

Hi Achilles,

I would like to have a member of our Horizon Team make contact with you to discuss the recording issues you are experiencing.

If you could PM UPC: Reps with your account details we will set this up for you.

Thanks

Hi all,

I just want to advise again that we are noting all the feedback provided on this thread regarding the trial, and passing it to our Horizon Team.

If anyone is experiencing issues with the service we would also invite you to PM UPC: Reps with your account details, and we will follow up with you.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Leslie91 wrote: »

Check on Software Version info via the menus :

- Settings
    - Horizon TV HD+ Box
    - Software
    - Version Info

My version is 1b-263.05.1_V 1.28_16777488

I got the SW at 00.04 last night ..

Not sure what the changes are yet ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement