Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

guys I can't access my wifi settings via the box -- to change wifi channels etc... used to be able to do it so either I've forgotten how or the option's gone. I go into it via laptop but it won't save the channel settings which seems to default to channel 1.
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

seanie27 wrote: »
    guys I can't access my wifi settings via the box -- to change wifi channels etc... used to be able to do it so either I've forgotten how or the option's gone. I go into it via laptop but it won't save the channel settings which seems to default to channel 1.
    Any help appreciated.

You remembered to click the "save" button? It's probably hidden below on the laptop screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It also takes a while to save after you've clicked save.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Any help appreciated.

Settings
    Home Network Settings
    WiFi Settings
    Wifi Channel
    Pick a Number ...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Have had the box stuck on a please wait screen for the last hour, after resetting the box when the wifi dropped out again.
    If this keeps up either the box or me is going to end up in the garden. Missus and kids losing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wifi range is a joke cant get it in the next room, tried every channel available still no luck, had to put an access point in room above on lan to get wifi upstairs, a complete piss take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

Well I'm on the horizon trial but I'll heed your advice.
    Wrong forum, you need to be in:

boards.ie > Biz > Talk to > UPC

F**king box cant select half of the channels now, can scroll to but cant ok them, sorry upc this box is ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Well after using it for over a month or so at this stage, the major issue i'm having is the audio drops. Starts off fine when you go from standby to watching something, but after an hour or two the audio drops kick in. In the beginning it was every now and then... now since the last update it's happening more often. On some recordings that i've made after some of the audio drops i've rewinded the programme a bit and replayed it, sometimes it will play back fine the second time and drop somewhere else. getting really annoying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Wireless range is appalling. Can get great speeds if I'm with in 10 feet. After that... well, I have to use 3G its that bad. If I want to watch BBC1 HD, I can't. The box shuts down within 5- 10 secs of watching. Picture freezes are also too frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ChrisSmets

surf board wrote: »
    Wireless range is appalling.

I would support this... the Wireless range is atrocious and the signal sometimes just dies for no reason and you have to do a hard reset for the connection to be alive again. Sort this out UPC and the horizon box is great :). In fact the WiFi issue is bothering me so much I am thinking of deconsolidating the box and pay for a separate modem.

• Advertisement

KenH wrote: »
    You remembered to click the "save" button? It's probably hidden below on the laptop screen.
    Yep press save but it won't save it. Says there's an error or some such.

ChrisSmets wrote: »
    I would support this... the Wireless range is atrocious and the signal sometimes just dies for no reason and you have to do a hard reset for the connection to be alive again. Sort this out UPC and the horizon box is great :). In fact the WiFi issue is bothering me so much I am thinking of deconsolidating the box and pay for a separate modem.

Can you not use the router you had before the Horizon box?

Synode wrote: »
    Can you not use the router you had before the Horizon box?
    Nope I send it back in with the HD Box i had.

I had terrible WiFi problems when I first got the box. I messed around with channels and some other settings but I couldn't get it to improve (couldn't switch to wireless n only as iPhone 3gs wouldn't connect). After loads and loads of calls to UPC, I eventually got a fella who messed with some settings (he kept putting me on hold and doing something). As far as I could see from the settings available for change, he'd changed nothing. However, the WiFi speeds became much faster and the range much better. I can now stream stuff to a Rasberry Pi in my bedroom and it only pauses to buffer maybe once for a second or two per movie.

So the moral of the story is, keep ringing UPC until you get someone who knows how to fix it.

So the moral of the story is, keep ringing UPC until you get someone who knows how to fix it.

That consumes a lot of time... something i dont have enough of

I know. I spent at least 8-10 hours on the phone to UPC in the first two weeks. Most of it on hold. Annoying, but it's part of testing.

I know. I spent at least 8-10 hours on the phone to UPC in the first two weeks. Most of it on hold. Annoying, but it's part of testing.
    Ah the Wifi issues are largely a non issue as i use it only in my room and outside my mobile picks it up grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hey, is anyone using a HDMI switch with the Horizon box, and not having any problems with them syncing when waking from standby?

Looking to pick one up, but don't want to get another that shares the same problems.

My Horizon box is connected to my Netgear router. I notice on my Network map that Horizon has 2 IPs connected all the time. The MAC adress is slightly different (one ends with DE 71 and the other with DE 74).
    Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

Well i left my media box(popcorn hour A-210) off the box for the last four days i have had oner inncident of freezing but different to the norm.

does anyone else have a media box ie popcorn hour,western digital,xmbc,xsteamer,patriot any media box make and not having an issue i have had the horizin box replaced but still the same issue.

I cant work out why my media box is causing the horizon box to freeze.

• Advertisement

Yep press save but it won't save it. Says there's an error or some such.

Got it sorted. had to restablished my home network settings etc. Thanks to all.

e21man wrote: »
    Well i left my media box(popcorn hour A-210) off the box for the last four days i have had oner inncident of freezing but different to the norm.

does anyone else have a media box ie popcorn hour,western digital,xmbc,xsteamer,patriot any media box make and not having an issue i have had the horizin box replaced but still the same issue.

I cant work out why my media box is causing the horizon box to freeze.

Just a thought, on this thread it states that if you set the box to scan for media and you have a large collection 1000 + it will cause the box to hang, not sure if this is the problem you have, try factory reset and dont allow box to scan for media, see if that helps?

Would there be any benefit of having the box scan your media? Assuming they got it working properly

Would there be any benefit of having the box scan your media? Assuming they got it working properly

If it worked properly, it would have an up to date list of all media available to play on your system, rather than having to go to my devices and then searching for what your looking for. At the moment if you get it to scan for media it constantly searches and causes the box to hang and glitch possibly a memory leak???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Everything going reasonably well with my box but last 2 evenings I have noticed momentary (like 1 second cut) loss of audio when watching TV.

The last time I had an issue like this was with the old NTL when the signal wasn't strong enough.

Has anyone found out why the signal strenght is only low to medium on the Horizon box. I know the signal quality is always at high but maybe UPC need to increase the signal strenght to see if that solves the issue.

When I got the box first the signal strenght was always low but now hovers about half way into medium strenght. Is UPC just increasing the signal in small increments ?

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

dak wrote: »
    When I got the box first the signal strenght was always low but now hovers about half way into medium strenght. Is UPC just increasing the signal in small increments ?

There was a mention earlier that the displayed value was increased with a recent update. This is just a display level. It does not mean the signal was increased in any way. If this device has 4 or 5 tuners and a cable modem, it is likely it would need a stronger than typical signal to reliably supply all the tuners.

To increase the signal UPC would need to make on site changes to hardware or cabling. Even with new installations I have seen UPC "pass" low quality signals as acceptable, when they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DWC

dak wrote: »
    Everything going reasonably well with my box but last 2 evenings I have noticed momentary (like 1 second cut) loss of audio when watching TV.

This happens to me all the time now - it's driving me crazy. Can't follow anything anyone is saying as the sound keeps cutting out intermittently. Even had UPC out to change the Horizon box but no joy. They also ran a (very long) test cable from the apartment building connection point directly to my box in the apartment and still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

dalkiadave wrote: »
    Just a thought, on this thread it states that if you set the box to scan for media and you have a large collection 1000 + it will cause the box to hang, not sure if this is the problem you have, try factory reset and dont allow box to scan for media, see if that helps?

Didnt realize it did a scan of my media that makes a lot of sense ill give that a try when i get home

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

I'd a similar issue with intermittent loss of audio, described a few pages back. Not 100% sure, but I think it related to the box struggling to scan a NAS drive on my network. Removing that from my media library via a Factory Reset seemed to have done the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DWC

Mikey23 wrote: »
    I'd a similar issue with intermittent loss of audio, described a few pages back. Not 100% sure, but I think it related to the box struggling to scan a NAS drive on my network. Removing that from my media library via a Factory Reset seemed to have done the job.

Great, I'll give that a go, Cheers Mikey. It's a bit disappointing if that's the problem, seeing as one of the advertised features is the ability to play files from the home network.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement