Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Had UPC today put new cable and replace UPC point as was having problem with signal strength
    TV signal strength is now in the high section

TV Signal strength was in the low to just medium before and Signal Quality was high
    So if any of you getting TV signal strength in the low I call UPC to fix as it should be just in the High section
    This will affect your broadband like youtube if its in the low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Synode wrote: »
    Are they pulling out of Ireland?

They've been bought over by BT Vision and it's not clear if it will still be available on UPC, it won't be available on Sky anyway.

They've been bought over by BT Vision and it's not clear if it will still be available on UPC, it won't be available on Sky anyway.
    BT Sport Channels will be
    BT Sport 1
    BT Sport 2
    BT Sport 1 HD
    BT Sport 2 HD
    ESPN
    ESPN HD

ESPN Classic been shut down after 31st of July
    ESPN America wont be available in UK and Ireland for now AFTER 31 July
    as BT Sport only taking the ESPN Channel for now they may add ESPN America at later date

SKY will have BT SPORT above channels but you will have to pay subscription you can do this now on BT Sport website have details

UPC No information yet on price of subscription or if will be free I doubt it will be free but you never know its up to UPC AND BT For that they will let us know and BUT UPC they will have BT sports channels

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

who_me wrote: »
    They do seem to be reshuffling the channel list, over the last few days I'd select one channel and when highlighted another would appear. I assume it'll settle down after a while, but you'd wonder if those changes in themselves will mess with any scheduled recordings.

it has messed with my recordings since they changed the epg it's a lot handier though i changed my recordings i recommend that people check their planners

deeroy12 wrote: »
    ESPN HD still missing for me also
    In Navan I still have ESPN HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

ESPN HD still here in Carlow. I noticed some of the HD channels (RTE 2, BBC1, History) have replaced their SD equivalent, but Setanta has only replaced 105 with the HD version, while 401 is still SD. I wish they'd replace them all or non at all.

I also hope they include skipping over unsubscribed HD channels in the next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I'm fairly sick of it at this stage
    not getting the promised 100mb speed on a wired pc
    Remote control functions when it suits

the horizon box gets restarted once a day because of freezing issues

One box tv/bb and phone if it goes on the blink
    it costs a fortune to get in contact with upc on your mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I rang UPC today....again. They told me that a 'major' software upgrade will take place on Friday 21st. They asked me to keep the Horizon box until this software upgrade took place.....so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I rang UPC today....again. They told me that a 'major' software upgrade will take place on Friday 21st. They asked me to keep the Horizon box until this software upgrade took place.....so we will see.

Good to hear but this kind of info and a changelog a changelog should be getting to all users. Poor from UPC as none of the software updates or changelogs are getting communicated to users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

it costs a fortune to get in contact with upc on your mobile

Is 1908 not a freephone number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It is indeed. So is the 1800 self install number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I noticed this survey is now closed.

Is there some way we're supposed to give feedback on the issues we've experienced? Are people calling UPC with their Horizon problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I noticed this survey is now closed.

Is there some way we're supposed to give feedback on the issues we've experienced? Are people calling UPC with their Horizon problems?

Most reply to their emails in a timely fashion. :-)

Achilles wrote: »

Was that link emailed out to those on the trial? I never received anything. D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some people, myself included, never got a link for any survey via email.
    The only place I spotted the link to a survey was on this thread........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

I got an email from UPC with that link, 2 days after installing my Horizon box.

I wanted to wait a few weeks to give my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I went away for two weeks, so I set the box to record some programs. Got back to find out box was not responding, and only recorded the first program. Had to reset it, but at least that fixed my earlier problem with Sky Sports channels not working (yes I tried resetting it before).

But after that the box hasn't crashed a single time, it's been over a week now. WiFi reception seems better too, no idea why that would be.

I'd say my experience so far has been pretty positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Anyone else missing History HD? Mine has gone back to the SD History Channel, can't seem to find the HD one ...

Anyone else just get a nice email surprise from UPC regarding the trial? :)

No, what did it say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Yes , I got it as well :

"We hope you have been enjoying your new Horizon TV viewing experience and all of the extraordinary features that your bundle offers.
    We have some good news, to show our gratitude for your continued support during our trial period, from your next bill we will be crediting your account €5.00 per month so that your HD channels are FREE OF CHARGE*.
    Thanks
    The Horizon Team"

On first reading, I thought it was the extra HD channels (i.e. the HD versions of Sky Sports and Movies), but it's the 5 euro extra charge for HD (RTE 2 HD, TG4 HD etc) that are free - for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danom8

Just received the same email myself. I think that anyone who wasn't subscribed to HD before switching to Horizon received it. Either way the offer is only credited for 3 months.

It says at the very bottom that it is only valid through 3 billing periods :(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

Anybody know what error 9941 would be about? Was having issues with wireless, there was a red wireless signal on the display screen. When looking at one of the setting it says this error code. Turned it off and back on and it works grand but just curious to know is there a list of codes somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnma1971

Anybody else like me have to (yet again) power off and power on their box (and the home network and telephone system with it) tonight since it had crashed and refused to respond to any input via remote or front panel? Mine was on channel 709 when it fell over but don't reckon that was relevant.

John

(I would have posted this to a private Horizon trial support list if there was such a thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

johnma1971 wrote: »
    Anybody else like me have to (yet again) aboveannopower off and power on their box (and the home network and telephone system with it) tonight since it had crashed and refused to respond to any input via remote or front panel? Mine was on channel 709 when it fell over but don't reckon that was relevant.

John

(I would have posted this to a private Horizon trial support list if there was such a thing).

Yes had to do it three times. Some Hd channels were then moved as above. Will hold out for the update mentioned, but I still haven't warmed to the box yet, no sign that the now/next menu will be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

too sick of it now. I have a sky engineer coming out tomorrow but i will stick with UPC for my BB. im sure "Horizon" will be good some day but im getting too many issues at the moment to enjoy my tv experience.

Streaming from a NAS is very hit and miss. The player freezes a good bit (especially when forwarding/rewinding and pressing play). It's also really annoying that it doesn't remember where you left an episode if you leave and go back (XBox does). They really need to improve the stability. Hopefully the big update mentioned for 21st sorts a lot of these things out.

My WiFi has much improved since I talked to a guy in UPC who knew what he was doing. He messed with a few settings (don't know what) and it's been more consistent at 30-60 MB. When I first tested the 100MB broadband a few years ago it started pretty bad but really improved over time. Hopefully it's the same with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Anybody know what error 9941 would be about? Was having issues with wireless, there was a red wireless signal on the display screen. When looking at one of the setting it says this error code. Turned it off and back on and it works grand but just curious to know is there a list of codes somewhere?
    Error 9941: LAN error
    On-screen error message.
    The user is invited to check his HN configuration

Not really of great help...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I must be one of the lucky ones ( touch wood) who didn't get a Horizon box that was built on a Monday. Can't say I have any problems with the box apart from the first day or two. Its a big improvement on the old one and I'm quite happy with it !

My box is unconsolidated so only using it for TV. Are the problems been reported on this thread mainly confined to those using Horizon as a 3 in 1 box I wonder ?

On a slightly off topic issue can anyone advise on the best wifi extender. I live in an old bungalow with pretty solid thick walls and wifi coverage is poor at one end of the house. I have a second computer near the kitchen getting Broadband via a Netgear ethernet box ( plug in wall socket type) .

I get about 30mbs on the second computer which is adequate ( would like to get closer to 100mb but probabley need to change computer and ethernet boxes) . However wifi coverage is poor or non existant in the kitchen. I was thinking of getting a wireless dongle for the second computer but wondering what is the best type to get ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement