Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

who_me wrote: »
    Ok, after a considerable amount of wrestling with the cable-octopus behind my TV, I've realised the problem is with the HDMI switch, not with the AV receiver.

If I plug:
    Horizon box -> AV Receiver -> TV - no problems

But if I plug:
    Horizon box -> HDMI switch -> TV - no audio, or green screen with no image or audio.

Odd that it effects both UPC boxes, but not the AppleTV or games consoles. I guess I'll try a different HDMI switch. Is anyone else using one?

have you got a philips tv?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hootanany wrote: »
    Just flicking channels Film 4 saying locked programme
    On my Free sat its Die Hard WTF not a happy camper why is this locked.

Film4 +1 wasn't locked for some reason even though die hard had already started. Default code is 0000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

have you got a philips tv?

No, Panasonic. Thanks. I heard alright that there are problems with Philips tvs.

Fairly sure it's the HDMI switch, as if I plug the Horizon directly into the TV it's fine.

No, Panasonic. Thanks. I heard alright that there are problems with Philips tvs.

Fairly sure it's the HDMI switch, as if I plug the Horizon directly into the TV it's fine.

it sounds very similar to the problems with philips tv's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok, after a considerable amount of wrestling with the cable-octopus behind my TV, I've realised the problem is with the HDMI switch, not with the AV receiver.

If I plug:
    Horizon box -> AV Receiver -> TV - no problems

But if I plug:
    Horizon box -> HDMI switch -> TV - no audio, or green screen with no image or audio.

Odd that it effects both UPC boxes, but not the AppleTV or games consoles. I guess I'll try a different HDMI switch. Is anyone else using one?

My Horizon box has issues with my HDMI auto switcher too. It's very odd. The picture will work fine but then the Horizon box will tell me that it's lost connection to the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Got a text last night from horizon asking if any problems getting box out of standby since Saturday. Must have been an update. Hadn't noticed anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

KenH wrote: »
    Got a text last night from horizon asking if any problems getting box out of standby since Saturday. Must have been an update. Hadn't noticed anything different.

Yeah, there was a 'major' software update on Thursday night/Friday morning, I didn't notice anything different but the box does seem to be more stable since, it hasn't frozen and needed to be re-started at all.

(You can check whether you received the update by going to menu > Settings > Horizon box, the date and time of the last update should be visible there)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Achilles wrote: »
    My Horizon box has issues with my HDMI auto switcher too. It's very odd. The picture will work fine but then the Horizon box will tell me that it's lost connection to the TV.

i had the same problem contacted upc on this the tech told me to turn tv off unplug HDMI cable turn off box for 30 secs plug everything back in turn on box and tv and this should solve problem have only had to do it once seems to have solved my issues apparently it resolves an issue whereby the box and tv are not communicating correctly

i had the same problem contacted upc on this the tech told me to turn tv off unplug HDMI cable turn off box for 30 secs plug everything back in turn on box and tv and this should solve problem have only had to do it once seems to have solved my issues apparently it resolves an issue whereby the box and tv are not communicating correctly

its the handshake between the box and the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

it is just me or do the SD channels look better, was watching RTE1 last night and it was almost like HD quality, other channels looked clearer also.

also RTE2 HD is now at 102

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ciaran75 wrote: »
    it is just me or do the SD channels look better, was watching RTE1 last night and it was almost like HD quality, other channels looked clearer also.

also RTE2 HD is now at 102

I noticed that Sunday I think. A few of the hd versions of channels like rte2 have become the standard option instead of a separate channel

paulboland wrote: »
    Put your tplink router in wireless access mode that way you can use it to connect by wireless if your router supports access mode should do as most wireless routers can
    If you need help setting that up message me

Thanks Paul,

My knowledge of networks / routers is pretty crap so wouldn't have a clue how to do this.

When i look at the manual of my router i don't see "wireless access mode" mentioned, could it be called something else.

http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WR1043ND_V1_User_Guide.pdf

If my horizon network is UPC123, if i setup this "wireless access mode" would i still be connecting to UPC123 or would it now be UPC124 etc.

Cheers,
    Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Thanks Paul,

My knowledge of networks / routers is pretty crap so wouldn't have a clue how to do this.

When i look at the manual of my router i don't see "wireless access mode" mentioned, could it be called something else.

http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WR1043ND_V1_User_Guide.pdf

If my horizon network is UPC123, if i setup this "wireless access mode" would i still be connecting to UPC123 or would it now be UPC124 etc.

Cheers,
    Ciaran
    I had a look yes its a not a function with this router but it can be done if its flashed with DD-WRT firmware but I would not use that option
    You can buy a Belkin or Netgear Wireless Router both have easy mode to set up as wireless access mode
    horizon network is UPC123, if i setup this "wireless access mode" would i still be connecting to UPC123 or would it now be UPC124 etc
    answer to that would be no the name of the wireless access point would be anything you name it with its own wireless security you would have 2 wireless connections to choose from and you would choose the one that best for your device
    But Your router don't have this option
    There is another way but I would have to look in more detail at your router to see it it can be set up that way

That's what I've been doing, and it just fixes it for a day. Well, I've been turning the box off via the power switch, instead of pulling the plug and leaving it out for 30 seconds; I'd have thought once the box is off, it's off. I guess I can try that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's what I've been doing, and it just fixes it for a day. Well, I've been turning the box off via the power switch, instead of pulling the plug and leaving it out for 30 seconds; I'd have thought once the box is off, it's off. I guess I can try that. Thanks.

Off or standby? I've had issues with on demand availability on the HD Box and it seems, completely unplugging it was what was needed to reset the connection.

did anyone else receive a letter prior to the trial saying that their bill would increase but that there internet speeds would also increase as well as receiving more minutes for the phone?

did anyone else receive a letter prior to the trial saying that their bill would increase but that there internet speeds would also increase as well as receiving more minutes for the phone?

Yeah, before i got accepted to horizon trial i got a letter to say my bill was going up from €59 to €64.50
    with horizon i'm now paying €63.50 so still cheaper than it was going to be and got 50Mb instead of 30Mb it was going to be and also have new horizon with no installation fee and the €102

Yeah, before i got accepted to horizon trial i got a letter to say my bill was going up from €59 to €64.50
    with horizon i'm now paying €63.50 so still cheaper than it was going to be and got 50Mb instead of 30Mb it was going to be and also have new horizon with no installation fee and the €102

i got a similar letter...except mine was being increased from 60mb to 100mb. now ive just been informed that this wont be happening because im on the trial and that if i want to keep the horizon i will either have to take a speed decrease or pay extra for a speed increase :mad:

Off or standby? I've had issues with on demand availability on the HD Box and it seems, completely unplugging it was what was needed to reset the connection.

I mean once you flick the switch on the back of the box there's no power going to it - I'd have thought. So there would be no added benefit in pulling the cable, or leaving it out for 30 seconds. No harm in trying, I suppose.

I don't think I received additional minutes, but I was promised an upgrade from 120 -> 150; with the price going up about 5 euros. However to go on the Horizon trial, I had to go on a 100 package. So, weirdly I was upgraded from 120 to 150 on the same day I received the Horizon box and downgraded back to 100. :)

No idea what my bill is going to be now. Will I still have to pay the 5 euro increase even though I no longer have the speed upgrade?

• Advertisement

I don't think I received additional minutes, but I was promised an upgrade from 120 -> 150; with the price going up about 5 euros. However to go on the Horizon trial, I had to go on a 100 package. So, weirdly I was upgraded from 120 to 150 on the same day I received the Horizon box and downgraded back to 100. :)

No idea what my bill is going to be now. Will I still have to pay the 5 euro increase even though I no longer have the speed upgrade?

i wasnt told that there was 2 packages available for the horizon...the only thing i was told was that it wouldnt cost me any extra to have the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I was told the same thing as you technoprisoner..yet my bill today has gone up by 26 euros..they can shove that where the sun dont shine..
    waiting for billing to get back to me..cheeky chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fergie087

find these boards very helpfuk:D

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I was told the same thing as you technoprisoner..yet my bill today has gone up by 26 euros..they can shove that where the sun dont shine..
    waiting for billing to get back to me..cheeky chancers

ah its after leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth....just thinking back to the conversation i had when setting up the horizon he went through what package i was on and said 60mb broadband and i said to be upgraded during may to 100mb and he agreed. now im told i cant invoke my back out clause because i am outside the 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My Wifi and internet has gone to shíte since the code "upgrade" on Friday

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I handed my Horizon box back whilst a great idea the box is a disaster from a usability point of view.
    I was really hoping that I could move from Sky to UPC but my god what a missed opportunity.
    Problems I was having were the following:

1) Box Freezing at least three times a day
    2) Phone not working most of the time with people sounding very distant
    3) Channel layout a mess makes no sense at all half the time
    4) Very slow EPG
    5) Crap channel selection compared to Sky

I really liked the idea of the box and it certainly has potential but as they say lots done more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I must be one of the lucky ones. Little to no problems with the box. Granted the epg can be a bit sluggish at times but in all honesty how quickly do you want to change channels? Bit of a first world problem ha! But mind you I do find that pressing the channel up or down button is nearly instant!
    My main problem with the box is the wifi range but hopefully that can be fixed in time.
    I applied for this knowing full well that I was trialing a new product. So I guess I was just expecting to have some problems with it.
    Hooked a phone up to it the other day and have had no problems at all.
    I personally love this box. I don't think I could go back to the normal UPC. I would miss the graphics too much haha.
    The free HD channels and the stream of free credit definitely makes up for any small problems I have had so far. I can only see this thing getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

apope8 wrote: »
    I must be one of the lucky ones. Little to no problems with the box. Granted the epg can be a bit sluggish at times but in all honesty how quickly do you want to change channels? Bit of a first world problem ha! But mind you I do find that pressing the channel up or down button is nearly instant!
    My main problem with the box is the wifi range but hopefully that can be fixed in time.
    I applied for this knowing full well that I was trialing a new product. So I guess I was just expecting to have some problems with it.
    Hooked a phone up to it the other day and have had no problems at all.
    I personally love this box. I don't think I could go back to the normal UPC. I would miss the graphics too much haha.
    The free HD channels and the stream of free credit definitely makes up for any small problems I have had so far. I can only see this thing getting better.

The problem for me, as I've said before, is that this isn't a "New" product per se.
    New to the Irish market but it's been around 18 months or longer in Europe and if you look at a few other fora the issues most of us are having have been had in that period all across the userbase.
    I would have expected a relatively stable device but the amount of hanging and unresponsiveness, which has a direct impact on internet connectivity is barely acceptable.
    The credit is about the only thing keeping me using it as well.

For a trial theres very little interaction from UPC or no communication as to when updates are coming and what they do.........

Granted, it has lots of potential and I am gonna give it another 6 weeks or so but the stability HAS to improve and the interaction with UPC has to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭dunworth1

kippy wrote: »
    For a trial theres very little interaction from UPC or no communication as to when updates are coming and what they do.........

Granted, it has lots of potential and I am gonna give it another 6 weeks or so but the stability HAS to improve and the interaction with UPC has to improve.

i have been getting text message and emails asking me to complete surveys almost on a weekly basis?

normally its just a quick something like "have you experienced and issues while taking the box on of standby"

but the odd time its a full blown survy that take 5-10min to complete

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i have been getting text message and emails asking me to complete surveys almost on a weekly basis?

normally its just a quick something like "have you experienced and issues while taking the box on of standby"

but the odd time its a full blown survy that take 5-10min to complete

ive only ever got 2 emails asking to do a survey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement