Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dandysandy

Having major problems with sound drop out on recorded programs. There seems to be a definite link to this and the instalation of twonky (twonky no longer working either) and home network (start happening at the same time) Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Hi ted1,

If you could PM UPC: Reps with your account details we will have a member of our Horizon Team contact you to discuss your experience since the latest update.

Thanks
    Hi Eamonn,

Could you tell us what this new update does thatw e received a mail about?
    Thanks
    s.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

appears Horizon is based on an old version of XBMC (9.11) and not done particularily well according to this. Pity it couldn't be updated to version 12

Apparently the hardware is fine for full HD but they have most of the code commented out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144090

ciaran75 wrote: »
    appears Horizon is based on an old version of XBMC (9.11) and not done particularily well according to this. Pity it couldn't be updated to version 12

Apparently the hardware is fine for full HD but they have most of the code commented out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144090

Wow, have to say there are elements of it that are familiar. Its funny to think a team of hobbyists can make software that blows Cable/Sat companies out of the water.

Brings me back to to the days of Dbox2, what the coders could do with 200mhz processor, and 16mb RAM was amazing. Browsing the EPG on it back in 2000 was faster than horizon is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That thread is from last year and there have been LOADS of updates since then so the comments are completely irrelevant to the current build.

The fact that its based on XBMC is fairly obvious from the look and feel of it but the current build is worlds apart and ahead of the current PVR implememtation of the Current open source build (which I have on my media centre running on an DVBlogic backend)

Id be interested in seeing a horizon XBMC skin though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

This might sound like a petty complaint - but I hate the way the menus/lists "loop around" (i.e. if you scroll to the last item, then down again the first item appears at the bottom etc.)

It's a lot quicker to find an option if you know it's at/near the start/end of a menu, but when the menus loop around you lose that.

It's a bit worse when viewing your recordings or finding something in search. It can be hard enough to find stuff, without accidentally looping around and going through the list again!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

Does anybody see anything new after todays update? I cant. Still no option to delete whole series in recordings. On demand looks the same. I updated the box myself from the menu after hard reset as it was frozen when i got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

moonship wrote: »
    Does anybody see anything new after todays update? I cant. Still no option to delete whole series in recordings. On demand looks the same. I updated the box myself from the menu after hard reset as it was frozen when i got home.

Agreed, don't see any change whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Had to reset the box tonight because of sound drop outs, seems to be ok at the moment, wifi range is still an issue, HD channels are a bonus and show the box off, hope this is the start of Horizon ironing out problems!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

ted1 wrote: »
    No problem air playing here , I have the ATV hard wired to the horizon box and the iPhone finds it no problem
    Will try ethernet and see what happens. Could be the wifi.

• Advertisement

My box crashed and was unusable after the update. Horizon team called and I did a factory reset.
    Kept all the settings and didnt lose any of the recordings but was told I would have to set any recordings again.
    To factory reset, you turn off at the back, leave for 5 secs, turn on and immediately hold power button on front for about 2 mins.
    Have to say it was the first incident since getting the box.
    One fix I noticed is that the number keys are working now and it is all a bit faster and more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

UPC have a lot of interested trialers here and should put some structure on this trial or its a wasted opportunity.

For starters how about when we post an issue we all list the version and if the box is consolidated or not?

Any thoughts? Reckon we all want this to improve.
    bob11 wrote: »
    Check on Software Version info via the menus :

- Settings
    - Horizon TV HD+ Box
    - Software
    - Version Info

My version is 1b-263.05.1_V 1.28_16777488

I got the SW at 00.04 last night ..

Not sure what the changes are yet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

What we need is either on this site or on UPC site a webpage listing latest update and what changes the update has
    and keep the previous update s list so we can see what past updates had
    Getting update are good but we need to know in detail what all updates are even if there only minor update

The Horizon box is good but does have its faults mostly been weak wireless router
    As a wired connection its fine

This is a trial and its up to us to let them know what problems there are and what features we would like to see happen
    At the end of the day we are customers and UPC should listen to what customers want

We should be able to use our own router as wireless standards change and new router give us choice
    as it would involve UPC getting new Horizon Box made to include new tech regarding Wireless improvements
    this would be very costly to them

Fix The Remote control freezing or supply us with better working remote control

So they should by standard enable the ability to use your own wireless router or use the one built in by creating the a choice in the settings
    Let us connect and use our own router and then connect pc back to horizon for My Library feature to work both ways
    Some customers will be ok with its built in router but lot of customers want to have the ability to use there own router features
    They should enable the 5ghz band of the router as its there already

On demand at the moment is weak in selection compared to Sky on Demand
    A lot more needs to be done in this area

Let us use Netflix on the Horizon

Picture Quality of what I have seen is much better 1080p HD sky don't have this
    Standard channels look good in 1080p if you have a good plasma Television as I have a Panasonic Plasma GT30

The freezing of horizon needs to be fixed in all areas and I expect this will happen with software updates and future new Horizon HD BOX remember were using the first one so do expect in next year or later a new improved Horizon Box with different hardware

The apps section is weak as you cant use in full screen mode
    Facebook not working yet
    If apps don't improve they wont be used and will be waste of time having them
    No point having loads of useless apps better to be good ones that you will want to use

1.Netflix
    2.Internet Browser full screen
    3.Rte Player full version (We only have basic version with limited choice at the moment)
    4.Facebook full screen and working
    5.Most used apps on other devices that other customers use around the world

Radio in TV guide needs to be given choice to list only radio without have to scroll through all channels

TV Guide needs now/next and with at least a 2 week planner with ability to search by day week etc
    I could list a lot more but this is what's needed now

Also fix My Library ability to scan and not freeze if you have large music and videos collection on pc or external hard drives
    Note don't let it scan as it will freeze your box if you do in home network
    If not going to fix this them remove this feature remove this feature
    and just let it browse my devices and play as it we do now and improve formats and other servers play ability

Ps3 server does not work fully with Horizon max it can display and search is 10 folders items in each folder it works fully with ps3 and any of my other dlna devices but not horizon
    Twonky ok but has problem with some formats
    Serviio server wont play any mkv yet it does work on other dlna devices
    Windows Media Player Streaming works fully if you have shark007 codec installed on your pc and plays all formats I tested so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

My twonky trial just expired.

What is everyone else using? I didnt like twonky anyway - a lot of larger files had no sound with it.

DylanII wrote: »
    My twonky trial just expired.

What is everyone else using? I didnt like twonky anyway - a lot of larger files had no sound with it.
    Goto to my upc on there website click my twonky
    licence key should be there
    if not contact upc on 1908 they will give you a licence key

Windows Media Player streaming works fully but install shark007 codec 32 bit first then install 64 bit add on if you have a 64 bit pc read how to use on there website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Great post paulboland the hand is on the mend:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has got Twonky Beam working with the Horizon box. I have it set up on both laptop and Android and can view files saved locally on both devices and play these on the Horizon box.

However, when using the Twonky Beam feature, ie, trying to stream video directly from YouTube for example, I am unable to see the Horizon box in the list of available players. I am able to see both the laptop and a WDTV live media player but not the Horizon box.

Is there any setting that I need to enable. I am a newbie to Twonky.

Cheers,
    Dools

Twonkey beam isnt supported, Twonky Mobile and Twonky server are but there are other, better DLNA servers out there if you dont like twonkey.

paulboland wrote: »

Radio in TV guide needs to be given choice to list only radio without have to scroll through all channels

I'm not sure what you mean by this? In my Guide the radio stations are all together in the upper 900 bracket. I need to do a long press on OK on the remote (hold it down for a second) to jump straight into playing it (UPC, This needs to be fixed!!) but I cant see how this is a loss over the old radio function??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don't think that there is a problem with the remote. I think the problem is with the box.

As for Netflix, I see that as competition for UPC as you may watch a film there instead of getting an on demand film.

Facebook does work.

Not to pushed about the 5ghz, I think that these may be for there use so as to enable public WiFi as stated by UPC in a link earlier on in the thread.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I don't think that there is a problem with the remote. I think the problem is with the box.

As for Netflix, I see that as competition for UPC as you may watch a film there instead of getting an on demand film.

Facebook does work.

Not to pushed about the 5ghz, I think that these may be for there use so as to enable public WiFi as stated by UPC in a link earlier on in the thread.
    I cant get facebook to work after entering device code I get sorry seems to be problem were looking into it every time I try activate

Facebook app keep getting this message when I enter code on add device on facebook webpage Something's gone wrong. We're working to get it fixed as soon as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Facebook is working fine for me!

Meesared wrote: »
    Facebook is working fine for me!
    not for me keep getting this message after I enter the code

Something's gone wrong. We're working to get it fixed as soon as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dandysandy

Teletext is working better since the update.......it's the little things lol

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

What we need is either on this site or on UPC site a webpage listing latest update and what changes the update has
    and keep the previous update s list so we can see what past updates had
    Getting update are good but we need to know in detail what all updates are even if there only minor update

The Horizon box is good but does have its faults mostly been weak wireless router
    As a wired connection its fine

This is a trial and its up to us to let them know what problems there are and what features we would like to see happen
    At the end of the day we are customers and UPC should listen to what customers want

Agree totally ..

I have suggested this to UPC in the survey response, Something like what they have in Switzerland would be ideal :

Use Google chrome to auto-translate :

http://community.upc-cablecom.ch/posts/5a9c9b5a1f?page=18

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Fix The Remote control freezing or supply us with better working remote control

I think it's the box freezing and not the remote as the power button on the front doesn't work either when the remote stops working.

The freezing of horizon needs to be fixed in all areas and I expect this will happen with software updates and future new Horizon HD BOX remember were using the first one so do expect in next year or later a new improved Horizon Box with different hardware

I'm pretty sure my horizon box is hardware rev 2 (say it in the same place as software info) so I'd assume everyone in Ireland has the same. My box still freezes daily ... very annoying having to reboot, killing phone and internet for a bit. 2 out of 3 times I turn it on the sound isn't working either which means power off and on (something way more than once) to get it going again. This has been in Holland for over a year now you'd think they'd have gotten the basics right by now ...

not for me keep getting this message after I enter the code

Something's gone wrong. We're working to get it fixed as soon as we can.
    Got facebook working but had to use iPhone safari browser to get code to work
    Internet explorer 10 or Google chrome would not work
    so if you have this problem use safari on a iPhone

Will try ethernet and see what happens. Could be the wifi.

Try restarting the iPhone/iPad?

Had the same problem yesterday - was convinced the Horizon box is at fault, but tried restarting my iPad and it worked perfectly. I've seen others have this issue as well, so I don't think it's a Horizon issue.

• Advertisement

Here's a weird one - can anyone search for the word "rugby"? I can search for "rugb", but it won't let me type the "y" even though "rugby" is one of the listed keywords below.

Also, just noticed I can play the radio stations from the channel list, but not from the Guide (nothing happens). Also, the info button doesn't work when on a radio channel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement