Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i have been getting text message and emails asking me to complete surveys almost on a weekly basis?

normally its just a quick something like "have you experienced and issues while taking the box on of standby"

but the odd time its a full blown survy that take 5-10min to complete

One text message, Yesterday. I have to be honest, I doubt very much anyone else got any more than that one text message yesterday to be honest.....

The only time I found out about a survey was via this forum. No invite from UPC.......
    No details on ANY site as to what the updates contain, when one is due........
    And the box has been on the continent for a good number of months now, yet we still have "teething problems"

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

All my channels are stuck in 4:3 all day no matter what i do with the settings, even HD channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

My menus still are freezing since the 'upgrade'...... Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

One further issue I have. On almost any episode of fireman sam or thomas the tank engine the sound starts fine then cuts out a minute into the program. This happens even after a restart however the first episode after a restart is generally fine. ......
    My two year old is not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

Hi reps. Any idea how i can get refunded for two streamed films that suffered glitchy playback and an 8182 error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

My box has been generally fine. I have had to restart the box once in last month.
    My complaints would be the ordeal of deleting programs and series!
    Also the page up and down in the guide is badly needed as guide has a mind of it's own by holding the up or down buttons

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this new code. So could you please complete the online survey below? In return we’ll put a €12 credit on your account which you can use to enjoy two On Demand movies with our compliments.

Anyone get this credit to there account yet

Also using my phone I have noticed talking to a friend every now and then I cant hear him for a few seconds its as if call been disconnected but its not and after a few seconds I can hear other person note he can hear me still
    Not sure if its at his end buts its strange as I have never had this happen before only been happening after Horizon was installed
    Its ok if its a short call but if its a long call over 10-15 min it happens
    It a normal standard phone I am using not a wireless phone

Also I noticed my wireless phone extenders no longer work as before
    there ok if close to each other but don't work if upstairs and other downstairs
    before horizon installed was working ok
    This is a problem as use wireless phone extender for sky HD boxes downstairs with base station upstairs connected to horizon phone connection as I have already said was working fine before horizon replaced my UPC modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

MiamiMice wrote: »
    Hi reps. Any idea how i can get refunded for two streamed films that suffered glitchy playback and an 8182 error?

Wrong forum, you need to be in:

boards.ie > Biz > Talk to > UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Have a harmony one remote but can't get the guide or info buttons to work.

They are not in the database and when tried to get this using the learn new command its not picking up the signal.

Anyone manage to get these working?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teresa.keogh7

It was all going so well until that update on Friday. Lost all my recording settings, but even worse I keep getting periods where I have sound dropout and occasionally blocky pictures. Can happen on any channel at various times and can last for minutes or hours. Have tried rebooting with no effect, factory reset keeping recordings and as a last resort factory reset deleting everything. I realise it's a beta, so I just have to hope that there's a new update very soon. The strange thing is my TV Signal has gone from just touching medium before the update to well into high after the update!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

30-40 on wireless is actually very good.

If you wish to improve these speeds you should set the router to wireless N only (which means all older wireless devices which don't support wireless N wont work) and also ensure that your using the most appropriate channel, taking into consideration the fact that some device's cant see the upper channels..blah blah blah regurgitated techie stuff you could find out by googling "expected wireless n speeds"

In short, tis grand what you're getting.

Thanks. much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ciaran75 wrote: »

They are not in the database and when tried to get this using the learn new command its not picking up the signal.

You won't be able to as the Horizon remote is RF and not infra red.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

+1 for wifi range being reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

ciaran75 wrote: »

Guide and Info are both RF unfortunately, but you can access "TV Guide" by pressing Back/return twice on the harmony, then you'll see TV Guide as an on-screen option. Four button presses instead of one, but that's about all you can do without RF capability. Info is not implemented on the Harmony either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

Gitb1 wrote: »
    All my channels are stuck in 4:3 all day no matter what i do with the settings, even HD channels

Thought I was the only one! Been getting it on a lot of channels and strangely enough on the stations that have it, when they jump to ads it goes back to 16:9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

lynchie wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one! Been getting it on a lot of channels and strangely enough on the stations that have it, when they jump to ads it goes back to 16:9

It's because the programme was made in 4:3 format. It happens a lot for older shows but for new programmes, they should all be in 16:9.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

3 times last night I got error messages saying the box had lost contact with the tv and asked me to check hdmi cable and consider switching to a scart cable if it didn't correct the problem.

But I was reading the error message on the tv via the hdmi cable!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

What sort of f***ed up programming is that?

I just hit the "Back" button on the remote and continued watching tv. :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

KenH wrote: »
    +1 for wifi range being reduced.
    Your Wifi range has reduced? Since an update, or on the Horizon box as a whole?

npresto wrote: »
    3 times last night I got error messages saying the box had lost contact with the tv and asked me to check hdmi cable and consider switching to a scart cable if it didn't correct the problem.

But I was reading the error message on the tv via the hdmi cable!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

What sort of f***ed up programming is that?

I just hit the "Back" button on the remote and continued watching tv. :eek::eek:
    That's a HDCP error, it still transmits video, but it can't get a secure connection with the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Gitb1 wrote: »
    lynchie wrote: »
    It's because the programme was made in 4:3 format. It happens a lot for older shows but for new programmes, they should all be in 16:9.

There is an option in the Settings to change the Ratio so all Programmes appear in 16:9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Well I have the horizon set top box for over 3 weeks now I can safetly say the Wifi connection keeps dropping out and is a nightmare when streaming from Laptop to TV as you are half way through something and you cant get it back.

Its not like you can put it back on a fast forward again, unless someone knows of a way you can do this.

I love the idea of streaming to tv but when you lose connection to the wifi too often it becomes useless.

personally am very happy with the EPG and Interface, very well laid out and modern approach to managing your tv programming.

Mellio wrote: »
    Well I have the horizon set top box for over 3 weeks now I can safetly say the Wifi connection keeps dropping out and is a nightmare when streaming from Laptop to TV as you are half way through something and you cant get it back.

Its not like you can put it back on a fast forward again, unless someone knows of a way you can do this.

I love the idea of streaming to tv but when you lose connection to the wifi too often it becomes useless.

personally am very happy with the EPG and Interface, very well laid out and modern approach to managing your tv programming.
    You will need to use a Wifi extender or use another wireless router in access mode
    Streaming by wifi not a great idea especially if its HD video or size of video file is large
    Streaming will only work best if its a wired connection
    Is the TV connected by wifi and laptop connected by wifi
    and is the TV dlna certified
    IF using wifi connect the TV to horizon by wired connection
    Also Connect The laptop to horizon by wired Connection

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

nakano3153 wrote: »
    Guide and Info are both RF unfortunately, but you can access "TV Guide" by pressing Back/return twice on the harmony, then you'll see TV Guide as an on-screen option. Four button presses instead of one, but that's about all you can do without RF capability. Info is not implemented on the Harmony either.

Thanks, will try that later

might see will adding a sequence work for this

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

nakano3153 wrote: »

Try teaching the remote the "sequence" described above.

This message relates To Horizon Wifi problems as its not the best as a router and has the option to connect to a Router in its setup
    and message also applies in General UPC broadband and Phone

I have a suggestion for UPC in regard to letting customers have the option in having a docsis 3.0 modem with telephony Modem only not a router so they can use there own Wireless routers

A. They could provide a docsis 3.0 modem only non router with telephony

B. They let customers buy there own supported by UPC docsis 3.0 modem with telephony like the Motorola SBV6220

This would give customers the best option for there needs when they want to use there own Wireless Routers and special needs they may need for there home network

As docsis 2 is not suitable for speeds above 30mb and docsis 3 does support speeds above 100mb
    Give customers the choice even if they purchase the modem themselves
    UPC Broadband is the best but it works best when using your own router

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Try teaching the remote the "sequence" described above.

It'd be great if people could share Harmony setups. So if someone sets up sequences like the above, they can share with other users rather than wait for Logitech to update.

Although the Horizon remote is fine (especially having the keyboard is handy), it's really nice just having one remote control for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Meesared wrote: »
    Your Wifi range has reduced? Since an update, or on the Horizon box as a whole?

It was working ok when I first got the box....so I guess an update has reduced the range. My laptop in the further part of the house can see the network and even shows medium bars, but it never connects to internet. My phone can't see the network at all from that location.

KenH wrote: »
    It was working ok when I first got the box....so I guess an update has reduced the range. My laptop in the further part of the house can see the network and even shows medium bars, but it never connects to internet. My phone can't see the network at all from that location.
    If anything the range increased for me with updates, slightly albeit, but have a look to see if you can find a "quieter" channel to broadcast the wifi on, most people are reporting a slight increase in range in the new updates. So I'd think its a local issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ChrisSmets

Just read http://www.chelloo.com/upc/index.php?topic=49467.0 that in the Netherlands the new big update H2 is going to be postponed for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

paulboland wrote: »
    You will need to use a Wifi extender or use another wireless router in access mode
    Streaming by wifi not a great idea especially if its HD video or size of video file is large
    Streaming will only work best if its a wired connection
    Is the TV connected by wifi and laptop connected by wifi
    and is the TV dlna certified
    IF using wifi connect the TV to horizon by wired connection
    Also Connect The laptop to horizon by wired Connection

If i have to do that it defeats the purpose of streaming via a network, I dont see how streaming affects the Wifi.

The streaming stops if the laptop loses connection with the network, there has to be a reason why the network keeps falling out, most times I am right next to the set top box and it still drops out, not just streaming but normal internet browsing as well.

In terms of connecting my tv to my stb and then stb to laptop for streaming , whats the point I may as well just connect laptop to tv with HDMI how I normally do it.

going to give them a call tonight, perhaps I need to be on a diff channel, this had to be done a couple of times previously to stop wifi falling out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement