Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options
19899100101102104»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

WiFi range is still a problem in my house. I've used inSSIDer and tried a number of channels but still not great up in my room. The signal tends to alternate between ok and poor. I might get them to have one more look before I de-consolidate and use the old router for WiFi.

Has anyone got a Vodafone Sure Signal working with Horizon. Mine seems to have stopped since last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

quenching wrote: »
    That should be a fun week to work in UPC customer service :eek:

For sure there's trouble ahead! They haven't even finished a survey that I was asked to participate in. One thing though they will have to resolve issues quickly and improve the interface quickly, although am sure that's what the Dutch thought to. I can just picture a dilbert image with marketing versus engineering:-)

Second survey arrived this evening. In fairness to UPC this is all speculation and I doubt very much they will launch next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

So will people with regular crap hd box like me get the new horizon box if I ring up next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    Officfial launch will be on next Monday 12th of August.

Again, source?

And if the 'trial' is over and the box is going officially live, does that mean those of us on the trial will have to enter into new contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Again, source?
    First hand :)
    And if the 'trial' is over and the box is going officially live, does that mean those of us on the trial will have to enter into new contracts?
    You have to call your UPC representative for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

never had a problem with my horizon up till today.....when ive been getting picture but no sound. sound but no picture and no picture and no sound....have upc revealed what the last update did?

Is this when you turn the box on, or happening randomly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

who_me wrote: »
    Is this when you turn the box on, or happening randomly?

it happened when i first turned the box on and then i t happened again when i paused live tv..i lost all sound

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

HAHA if this goes live next week it will be a massive massive head ache for UPC..
    they still havent sorted out the rudimentary problems the box has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Surely, the rep was wrong, no way this box can be launch ready.

I like it I'm a fan but it has issues that need to be sorted.

Please pay attention here UPC reps, this box is not ready to launch.

Too many annoying things. To be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

it happened when i first turned the box on and then i t happened again when i paused live tv..i lost all sound

Do you have any devices between the Horizon box & the TV? I had similar problems when using HDMI switches. UPC boxes and HDMI switches do not play nice together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

who_me wrote: »
    Do you have any devices between the Horizon box & the TV? I had similar problems when using HDMI switches. UPC boxes and HDMI switches do not play nice together.

no but i did have to change my tv when it would turn off randomly. it better not be doing this again. i cant afford to buy another tv

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Bottom line for UPC if this box goes live in its current state, major disaster. Given this trial was only several hundred people and about half have had serious issues, imagine what would happen if 50,000 boxes suddenly got unleashed, how in the hell would UPC customer service handle those calls, the current phone time when I have had to ring is about 40 min long 20 of those on hold???? Do the maths!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

This box is no were near ready to launch.Just back from holidays & i now discover i have 2versions of RTE2 HD & SD on the same channel number,Same thing happens on TG4 & BBC were i have to switch tru than SD version 2access the HD version of the channel.Plus subscribed to the Setanta package & still not receiving the channels on my Horizon Box even tho are available on my other 2Boxes.Was told reset the box but still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

deeroy12 wrote: »
    This box is no were near ready to launch.Just back from holidays & i now discover i have 2versions of RTE2 HD & SD on the same channel number,Same thing happens on TG4 & BBC were i have to switch tru than SD version 2access the HD version of the channel.Plus subscribed to the Setanta package & still not receiving the channels on my Horizon Box even tho are available on my other 2Boxes.Was told reset the box but still no joy.
    Did you do a factory Reset as this fixed that problem
    there also was a update last Saturday 3-8-2013
    do a factory reset keep all settings when asked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had an issue with missed recordings during the week, I was onto to customer care and they also said the box is due to launch next week.

I said unless they fix the recordings issue and the series link delete option they will have a massive failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

paulboland wrote: »
    Did you do a factory Reset as this fixed that problem
    there also was a update last Saturday 3-8-2013
    do a factory reset keep all settings when asked

Cheers problem fixed now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Sunday Business Post reporting this morning that Horizon will indeed launch tommorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

icdg wrote: »
    The Sunday Business Post reporting this morning that Horizon will indeed launch tommorow.

Brave move, my box is stuck, TV not responding at all but Internet ok..will need to cycle power to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fergie087

Anyone know the code for a Black Diamond tv so I can power on/off and use volume
    please

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Usaint

fergie087 wrote: »
    Anyone know the code for a Black Diamond tv so I can power on/off and use volume
    please

The code for a black diamond is 0384

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

So today is the day we move from trial to full on release - launch party today according to the times http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/upc-launches-horizon-tv-service-1.1489492 - this will be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Oh dear, this won't go well.

A few simple fixes to the EPG and I wouldn't fear so much. Good luck with that UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

It's a joke releasing that piece of crap to the public today. There are loads of software issues etc still. Remote is bogey. channels n box freeze. Picture quality crap on several channels etc. I've just been on to their wonderful customer service to enquire about downgrading to Internet only and was informed I can't as because they offered me free HD in November I can't downgrade until this November! Sly indeed :( Also since stupidly signing up to this box I notice they stopped sending me paper bills. They take their penny pinching to extremes. We really should go FTA and Saoirview n say goodbye to these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

mollser wrote: »
    A few simple fixes to the EPG and I wouldn't fear so much. Good luck with that UPC!

The same simple fixes that would have been simple to make BEFORE they released the service to the public you mean? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

I'm very lucky that I haven't had any functioning problems with my Horizon Box like many others have had. That said I do think the Guide needs to be made more functional. You should be able to switch from one days listings to another without having to scroll along until you find the day you are looking for. Don't understand why they haven't fixed this. I believe they will have to fix this now that the Box is going public. The Guide is far too slow as well. Also get rid of the Delete Everything option or at least move it to a less prominent position. I haven't pressed it yet, but at some stage I will do so accidentally and lose all my recordings. Like others have said, these would be simple software updates, so I wish they would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I simply can't believe they are going full launch with it. Still full of bugs and issues. I heard a story S3 have been brought in to fix the bugs and that until then they would not go live with it. Amazing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

And its goodbye to the trial thread. Horizon is launched and discussion of the launch can be found here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057013525&page=3

Its now also fair game to start threads on particular Horizon features etc but please no more than one thread on the same topic and can Horizon users please clearly indicate that it is the Horizon service they are talking about as classic UPC, NTL, and Chorus users have different EPGs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement