Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattie Mcgrath accuses Shatter of being stopped by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

rodento wrote: »
    Hmm....

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-sources-say-shatter-incident-was-not-major-issue-1.1408911

The Garda member who spoke to Mr Shatter on the night in question at the random drink driving checkpoint in Dublin’s south inner city is currently enjoying a period of leave which began before the current controversy surrounding Mr Shatter emerged.
    Sully wrote: »
    I'd have more trust in the Times than the Indo.
    I would have some concerns about the well being of this individual.

Will they receive any professional support in this situation?

Does it not read to everyone else like she's just on maternity leave, or some form of sabbatical?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Does it not read to everyone else like she's just on maternity leave, or some form of sabbatical?

I'm not querying the type of leave at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Amazing how this all blew up on the week we had to fork out for unfair property tax. Watched Vincent Brown last night, unbelievable what these muppets are being paid for, Fine Gael using their talk you down bully tactics again, sickening to watch and the question never answered, It makes my blood boil.

Without wanting to sound bad, I would think Shatter is one lucky man the crap of the Créches blew up when it did - took a lot of the pressure and publicity off him:mad:

Motion under discussion now, can be watched here

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/live-flashplayer/daileireann/

Brian Hayes just gave a speal about "of all the things going on why are we talking about this" and a FG backbencher has rallied against the motion by proclaiming that the Minister has written a book on family law. Strange arguments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Without wanting to sound bad, I would think Shatter is one lucky man the crap of the Créches blew up when it did - took a lot of the pressure and publicity off him:mad:

If I were the suspicious type I'd think it a bit coincidental that RTE choose to air such a shocking report the night before this vote to distract the public/media attention from this latest scandal involving a senior political/government figure.
    Motion under discussion now, can be watched here

Alas most people will be watching the England v Ireland game on ITV at the moment.. priorities eh - or just more "coincidental" timing?
    Brian Hayes just gave a speal about "of all the things going on why are we talking about this"

As per my first point, job done then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Shatter will be getting notions into his head of challenging Kenny for leadership at this rate, FG TD's pushing for the Minister to be declared a saint by the looks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

the indo will prob keep digging a while longer on the story i suppose

there's always a chance of another twist in the story

some contrast between Claire Daly's and Wallace's contributions. Wallace reads his sermon like a bored deacon to Daly's radical Evangelist.

He has seemed bored by Shatter's wrongdoing from the beginning. I'm not sure he still gets it himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

the indo will prob keep digging a while longer on the story i suppose

there's always a chance of another twist in the story

It will be interesting to see what comes from the SIPO & Data Protection Commissioner complaints. Luke Flanagan announced in the Dáil this evening that he has also made a formal complaint after Shatter leaked protected information about him into the public domain, which is becoming a bit of a Shatter characteristic at this stage.

It will be interesting to see what comes from the SIPO & Data Protection Commissioner complaints. Luke Flanagan announced in the Dáil this evening that he has also made a formal complaint after Shatter leaked protected information about him into the public domain, which is becoming a bit of a Shatter characteristic at this stage.
    what information was that? issues relating to Flanagan's penalty points?

• Advertisement

what information was that? issues relating to Flanagan's penalty points?

Indeed, that's the one.

Interesting, I wonder if that relates to an explicit statement by the Minister or the leak of Flanagan's information...

Latter definitely deserves an investigation.

Pretty rich of Kathleen Lynch noting how the minister could just have leaked the information on Wallace to the press if he really wanted. How noble! Even despite Shatter's balant wrongdoing - for which even Shatter, of all Ministers, has apologized - Labour are continuing so find virtue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

a FG backbencher has rallied against the motion by proclaiming that the Minister has written a book on family law. Strange arguments so far.

did he mention it was "a book you will never forget" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Now that this pantomime over whether Shatter was cordial or not is coming to an end , and before the Garda leaky tub is fixed , maybe the Fianna Fail Sunday Independent could get their " informed sources" to provide a list of TDs who had points quashed for themselves or more importantly their constituents.

The combination of the name of the TD & constituents would be very telling

raymon wrote: »
    Now that this pantomime over whether Shatter was cordial or not is coming to an end , and before the Garda leaky tub is fixed , maybe the Fianna Fail Sunday Independent could get their " informed sources" to provide a list of TDs who had points quashed for themselves or more importantly their constituents.

The Minister has a report on his desk detailing the names of every single person who has had a penalty point quashed, but published it in redacted form whereby the names were removed. Why don't you direct your query towards his office?

raymon wrote: »
    Now that this pantomime over whether Shatter was cordial
    This controversy was quite obviously never about cordiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The Minister has a report on his desk detailing the names of every single person who has had a penalty point quashed, but published it in redacted form whereby the names were removed. Why don't you direct your query towards his office?

That's not the report I want , why would I want that list. Nobody would release a list like that anyway.

What I would like is every TD who got penalty points removed for themselves or more importantly for their constituents. And the name combinations

This would throw up a lot of dodgy TDs in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭biddybops

Did fianna fail ever ask Willie o death to step down after that incident with the affidavit?
    sure there isn't an affidavit worth the paper it's written on in this country. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I would have some concerns about the well being of this individual.

Will they receive any professional support in this situation?

The Guard in question is a full time member of An Garda Síochána who is keeping quiet and not saying anything to contradict Commissioner Callinan so I would suspect the Guard involved is receiving full support from all around her. I would not be concerned about her well being at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The Guard in question is a full time member of An Garda Síochána who is keeping quiet and not saying anything to contradict Commissioner Callinan so I would suspect the Guard involved is receiving full support from all around her. I would not be concerned about her well being at all.

But surely thats unlawful not to tell the truth of what happened

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    There's no question of unlawfulness in the case of Shatter's alleged citation of his Constitutional rights. Quite the opposite.

There's no question of unlawfulness in the case of a public servant declining from serving the public with 'scandal'. Quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Hootanany wrote: »

When has a Garda ever been able to give their side of a story to the public outside of a court room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

SB2013 wrote: »
    When has a Garda ever been able to give their side of a story to the public outside of a court room?

On a picket line.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

There's no question of unlawfulness in the case of Shatter's alleged citation of his Constitutional rights. Quite the opposite.

There's no question of unlawfulness in the case of a public servant declining from serving the public with 'scandal'. Quite the opposite.

obviously not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

SB2013 wrote: »

John Wilson was on the Last Word this evening. Fantastic interview i thought. He's a credit to the Gardai.

(Hope its ok to link to the podcast)
    http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/mediamanager/todayfm/audio/wilson300513.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

darkhorse wrote: »
    In a special Dáil debate yesterday evening, Shatter said he was told about the encounter – in which Wallace was stopped for driving while using a mobile phone – by the Garda Commissioner and that it was his “duty” to inform him about it.
    A garda spokesperson told TheJournal.ie this morning that, in disclosing the information, the commmissioner “discharged his duties in accordance with the Garda Síochana Act”.
    “All communications between the commissioner and the department are of a confidential nature,” they added.

How the hell was it his "duty" to inform the Minister about it ? Because the person concerned was an opposition TD ? Because he was well known ? Or is it his duty to inform the Minister about everyone given a ticking off by the Gardai ? Remember Wallace wasn't even charged with an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

bgrizzley wrote: »
    John Wilson was on the Last Word this evening. Fantastic interview i thought. He's a credit to the Gardai.

http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/mediamanager/todayfm/audio/wilson300513.mp3

and we shamefully leave him and his colleague to go it alone. if the people of Ireland stood beside these brave men who knows what would come out about corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

^
    + one
    very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

bgrizzley wrote: »

He's not a Garda though,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

kerry4sam wrote: »

If the above is accurate isn't she stuck between a rock and a hard place?

She could have rank and file support OK, but feel unable to shoulder the truth or perpetuate a cover up.

Advertisement