Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattie Mcgrath accuses Shatter of being stopped by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

SB2013 wrote: »
    He's not a Garda though,

Did he not retire:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭yara

He's not a Garda though,

due to having to leave the force early!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Hootanany wrote: »
    Did he not retire:confused:
    yara wrote: »
    due to having to leave the force early!!

My point was that he's no longer restricted in what he can say.

My point was that he's no longer restricted in what he can say.

ah ok ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If the above is accurate isn't she stuck between a rock and a hard place?

She could have rank and file support OK, but feel unable to shoulder the truth or perpetuate a cover up.

The other whistle blower said on Matt Coopers show the other day that he was given no support, and neither is she. It seems the rank and file are turning on her aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The other whistle blower said on Matt Coopers show the other day that he was given no support, and neither is she. It seems the rank and file are turning on her aswell!

This is what I suspected.

Doesn't reflect well on AGS as a whole.

This is what I suspected.

Doesn't reflect well on AGS as a whole.

they're all individuals who have to obey orders or they're in the bad books too

time for a revolution in this country!! separate the good from the bad for once and for all

they're all individuals who have to obey orders or they're in the bad books too

time for a revolution in this country!! separate the good from the bad for once and for all

Is that not what the two whistle blowers were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Worztron

bgrizzley wrote: »
    John Wilson was on the Last Word this evening. Fantastic interview i thought. He's a credit to the Gardai.

(Hope its ok to link to the podcast)
    http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/mediamanager/todayfm/audio/wilson300513.mp3

So driver-A using a mobile phone gets a warning while driver-B using a mobile phone gets penalty points. Why? They either were or were not using a mobile phone while driving. This use of discretion is bizarre.

The whistle-blowers get treated like dirt for doing the right thing.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Is that not what the two whistle blowers were doing?

so the whole country has decided to leave 2 people to try sort it out?? sounds about right to me if it is, shame on the majority in this country!!

• Advertisement

so the whole country has decided to leave 2 people to try sort it out?? sounds about right to me if it is, shame on the majority in this country!!

The whole country as you call it don't have access to pulse, so I suppose it is being left to the two guards.

As the Garda commissioner doesn't seem to have any interest in cleaning up he's house!

The FF/FG politicians were always corrupt and in it for a quick buck so I wouldn't expect anything different from that shower!

The whole country as you call it don't have access to pulse, so I suppose it is being left to the two guards.

yes but if enough of us gave a hint of a damn that so much information about so many of us is so easily accessible and altered we might be out protesting for change and showing some solidarity with the 2 people we now know started this whole debate off.

by doing so we're enabling the corrupt government of today to keep picking off single brave individuals one by one for standing up to it all alone.

yes but if enough of us gave a hint of a damn that so much information about so many of us is so easily accessible and altered we might be out protesting for change and showing some solidarity with the 2 people we now know started this whole debate off.

by doing so we're enabling the corrupt government of today to keep picking off single brave individuals one by one for standing up to it all alone.

That would be fine, but they know the majority of the country are working 6 days a week to pay there mortgage and the fianna fail property tax, the Sean Quinn tax and every other tax were paying to bail out berties mates!

I can't afford to take a day off to protest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Worztron wrote: »
    So driver-A using a mobile phone gets a warning while driver-B using a mobile phone gets penalty points. Why? They either were or were not using a mobile phone while driving. This use of discretion is bizarre.

The whistle-blowers get treated like dirt for doing the right thing.

That is not the discretion that is being criticized, it is the wiping months later of points by senior officers after receiving pleas.
    Scenario: Driver A is lippy and ignorant and Driver B is apologetic.

Guards are human; discretion is not an absolute science.

Discretion deployed months later by a different Garda is a different story however and clearly has been abused by those seeking it and those doing the points wiping.

That would be fine, but they know the majority of the country are working 6 days a week to pay there mortgage and the fianna fail property tax, the Sean Quinn tax and every other tax were paying to bail out berties mates!

I can't afford to take a day off to protest!

yes they do know this but some day soon the people will stop being totally subservient because they need next weeks dole or wage more than we need a revolution, it's inevitable because it looks like the "leaders" are unable to really change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Why doesn't Shatter (a guy who knows his "law book") sue the indo for libel.

Oh right, he's almost certainly lying in the Dail about his incident at the checkpoint and wants the whole thing to blow over.
    Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Scenario: Driver A is lippy and ignorant and Driver B is apologetic.
    I would imagine that this is usually how discretion applies. You can even see it on that "Traffic Blues" programme (or whatever it's called). I don't think anyone would have a problem with this.
    Guards are human; discretion is not an absolute science.
    Agreed.
    Discretion deployed months later by a different Garda is a different story however and clearly has been abused by those seeking it and those doing the points wiping.
    Yes and AFAIR in at least one of the cases points were wiped by a garda from a different district - which should not be allowed to happen. This is why some gardai are going to be disciplined.

Why doesn't Shatter (a guy who knows his "law book") sue the indo for libel.

Oh right, he's almost certainly lying in the Dail about his incident at the checkpoint and wants the whole thing to blow over.
    Silly me.

IF it happened as the garda claims, why was he not arrested and charged? Because it happened years before Mattie claimed, so his rant in the Dail was just thet, a rant with no facts to back it up. Because there was no wrongdoing, therefore no report, therefore nothing to answer for.

IF it happened as the garda claims, why was he not arrested and charged? Because it happened years before Mattie claimed, so his rant in the Dail was just thet, a rant with no facts to back it up. Because there was no wrongdoing, therefore no report, therefore nothing to answer for.

we are where we are today due to people like you thinking our elected "elite" can and do no wrong!!

A TD returning from the Dáil cannot be arrested. What part of that escapes you? The real question is, if the Garda did indeed send up a report on the incident, why was she not directed to prosecute him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I guess we might just find out......

THE garda at the centre of the Alan Shatter breath-test controversy is to meet her lawyers about giving a statement to gardai outlining her version of events.

A senior source has said that following the Justice Minister's assertions that no report existed into how he failed to give a breath test on Dublin's Pembroke Street, the garda is determined "to get the true version of events on the record".

Contrary to Mr Shatter's statement to the Dail last week, a source with knowledge of the matter has insisted that he did not mention having asthma when he failed to give a breath sample.

The source said the garda wants her reputation restored after a week in which her "professionalism was effectively called into question".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-breathtest-row-garda-seeks-legal-advice-29317378.html

we are where we are today due to people like you thinking our elected "elite" can and do no wrong!!

We are where we are by people at every level in Irish society losing the run of themselves and borrowing to support lavish, unsustainable lifestyles. Our elected representatives are not perfect, but they WERE elected by the people (except for the unelected MEP's, Phil Prendergast, Paul Murphy and I think one other, whose name won't come to me) We are still as a country, having to borrow ridiculous amounts of money just to keep afloat.
    The Seanad is another story, but I believe that we do need an upper house, but not in its current form.

Why doesn't he sue the person supposedly libelling him.

Why doesn't he sue the person supposedly libelling him.

TDs rants in the Dáil are also privileged from legal proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

But the allegations were printed in the newspapers, specifically the Ind, beyond merely reporting on the Dáil proceedings. As much as this is a private matter for Shatter, I think it's a fair point to make. In theory, Shatter's solicitors should be all over them.

But the allegations were printed in the newspapers, specifically the Ind, beyond merely reporting on the Dáil proceedings. As much as this is a private matter for Shatter, I think it's a fair point to make. In theory, Shatter's solicitors should be all over them.

I disagree. Such an act would be to effectively restrict public access to the Dáil. I'm not sure of the legal position but I would think that allowing defamation proceedings against a paper who prints what is said in the Dáil would be on shaky grounds constituionally.

I mean Fionnan Sheahan's reporting from the source, not reports on Dail proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I disagree. Such an act would be to effectively restrict public access to the Dáil.
    No we're not talking about that.

If, in the course of Dáil proceedings, Phil Hogan proclaims that Enda Kenny shoplifts in Mothercare, the media are free to report on Hogan's privileged comments. There is no basis for a defamation suit.

If, on the other hand, the media go to mothercare and make false or defamatory claims of what they learned from the security staff at mothercare, the media are open to litigation on their own account.

As the poster has confirmed, he is talking about the second type. The media reported on the Shatter controversy well beyond what was said in the Dáil, and independently of what was said in the Dáil.

I don't think Enda Kenny shoplifts in mothercare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

We are where we are by people at every level in Irish society losing the run of themselves and borrowing to support lavish, unsustainable lifestyles. Our elected representatives are not perfect, but they WERE elected by the people (except for the unelected MEP's, Phil Prendergast, Paul Murphy and I think one other, whose name won't come to me) We are still as a country, having to borrow ridiculous amounts of money just to keep afloat.
    The Seanad is another story, but I believe that we do need an upper house, but not in its current form.

Oh Maryanne, PLEASE... You make claims on Boards about the age of a link, I have asked You over and over to prove Your claim about the validity of Your statement, and You have either refused, or chosen to ignore, my question. Is this not also 'losing the run of themselves'??

BTW...welcome back, missed ya:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Dare I also say they were elected based on the lies THEY spewed to the electorate, and those who voted for the coalition fell for their bait.

Advertisement