Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattie Mcgrath accuses Shatter of being stopped by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

seamus wrote: »
    "I would like you to accompany me down to the station to provide a further sample".

Gardai routinely manage to get people to accompany them down to the station without arrest - to give statements, ask questions, etc.

and if the guy happens to be a solicitor and knows the law and refuses to accompany them

and when threatened with arrest quotes his constitutional rights on his way from the dail

your move..............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

"I would like you to accompany me down to the station to provide a further sample".

Gardai routinely manage to get people to accompany them down to the station without arrest - to give statements, ask questions, etc.

The poster said "assuming he doesn't want to go".

Assuming he doesn't want to go means he cannot be arrested, in the context of this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Call me Al wrote: »
    Reading Maeve whelan's (?) article in the Irish Independent yesterday, she wrote that the Garda who spoke with Shatter that evening has been contacted by her colleagues in Pearse St. and has told them that she did write up a report. They can't find it though....
    It is a good article and spells out events, known and alleged, step by step.

Is that all they have , that someone may have contacted someone who may have written something but may have lost it?
    Typical Sunday Independent Fianna Fail twaddle

Don't get me wrong. No time for shatter , but this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No fan of Shatter and apologies if this has already been posted but Mattie has a fairly short memory re. alleged diving offences......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056112583

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Reading Maeve whelan's (?) article in the Irish Independent yesterday, she wrote that the Garda who spoke with Shatter that evening has been contacted by her colleagues in Pearse St. and has told them that she did write up a report. They can't find it though....
    It is a good article and spells out events, known and alleged, step by step.

Would you have a link for that please many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

raymon wrote: »
    Is that all they have , that someone may have contacted someone who may have written something but may have lost it?
    Typical Sunday Independent Fianna Fail twaddle

Don't get me wrong. No time for shatter , but this is getting ridiculous.

Did you read the article?

Maybe if you did you'd have a more informed idea of the background, and wouldn't need to pass responses as the above.

Did you read the article?.

Yes , I did . Nothing really of substance.

If anyone has anything on him lets get it out in the open.

No fan of shatter myself but all of this guessing is ridiculous

Yes , I did . Nothing really of substance.

If anyone has anything on him lets get it out in the open.

No fan of shatter myself but all of this guessing is ridiculous

Well that is all a matter of opinion isn't it. A little like your assertion that it is all FF twaddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Matties accusations raise more questions about TD's and their informants than it does about Alan Shatter. This tit for tat rubbish is distracting time and energy from the bigger issues. Disappointed in Mattie.

With respect, Maryanne, you give me the impression that you seem to be disappointed in anyone that does not agree with Fine Gael in general. Would that be a fair assessment?

I haven't seen anyone make that argument.

The valid argument against what Shatter did was that the data is confidential, not the meeting.

There are no existing rules about this specific briefing between the Garda Commissioner and the Minister being necessarily confidential, unless you know of any?

If you're last paragraph is true, then this would mean that the minister would be entitled to come from such briefing's, right onto Prime Time, or any other programme, and divulge the name/name's of any person's mentioned at said briefing, as well as any piece of information on same people, no matter who/what it was, could be mentioned by said minister, to all the programme's viewer's. Is this the kind of governance/government that we want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

darkhorse wrote: »
    If you're last paragraph is true, then this would mean that the minister would be entitled to come from such briefing's, right onto Prime Time, or any other programme, and divulge the name/name's of any person's mentioned at said briefing, as well as any piece of information on same people, no matter who/what it was, could be mentioned by said minister, to all the programme's viewer's.
    That's a ridiculous conclusion to draw from what I just said.

I've just said that certain data is confidential, there is no covenant of confidentiality between the Minister and the Commissioner.

That is to say, the Minister can release any information which the Garda Commissioner offers the Minister except, inter alia, information which is protected under Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003.

In other words, the important question to answer is

Did the Minister breach Data Protection Legislation?

and not

Did the Minister breach the Commissioner's trust.

The discretion part comes in because the Garda can choose not to bring them in if they believe it to be a waste of time - i.e. the person isn't drunk.

Or if it is a politician, and some day he might be their boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

darkhorse wrote: »
    With respect, Maryanne, you give me the impression that you seem to be disappointed in anyone that does not agree with Fine Gael in general. Would that be a fair assessment?

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer Darkhorse. I am waiting weeks now for an answer to an allegation Maryanne made about the age of a Facebook link. I was goiong to ask Her on this thread about it, but when I started commentating on Her comments, She then thought of me as a 'stalker'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So there's no report apparently... BreakingNews
    Justice Minister Alan Shatter has revealed there is no Garda report on his failure to give a breath test at a checkpoint.

Mr Shatter said Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan has found no record of the incident on the Garda internal database, Pulse.

Why aren't I surprised Callinan couldn't find anything? :rolleyes:

So (as noted in the comments on that article), Wallace gets a warning for using a mobile and that's recorded, Daly is followed and arrested and that's logged, but there's nothing on Shatter - even though this stop was apparently "common knowledge"?

But as I predicted a few days ago... business as usual!

How long can this non story limp on for ??

Not before the Independent sells a few more newspapers

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dont-you-know-who-i-am-what-shatter-said-to-garda-29300483.html

As I said , I don't like Shatter, but this is getting ridiculous

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dont-you-know-who-i-am-what-shatter-said-to-garda-29300483.html

says there was a report..............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Motion of confidence from Micheal martin, the man that supported bertie ahern all the way to the end!

**** OFF!

Its laughable the way Martin, Billy Kelleher and co get all indignant and beat their chest over the sorry state of the country. Their greed and incompetence caused it yet they now seem to have selective amnesia. :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

says there was a report..............

What did the report say ? ? Can the " informed source " tell us that?

Did it say we caught 10 untaxed cars , 2 drunks , and an extremely arrogant TD ?

I wish there was a law for arrogance.

• Advertisement

What did the report say ? ? Can the " informed source " tell us that?

Did it say we caught 10 untaxed cars , 2 drunks , and an extremely arrogant TD ?

I wish there was a law for arrogance.

i'd call it more than arrogance driving off from a checkpoint without authorization

after failing to provide a breath sample

if the source is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

Death by a thousand cuts. Looks like Shatter is telling Porkies!

i'd call it more than arrogance driving off from a checkpoint without authorization

if the source is correct

Is the source correct ? Is there a source? Who is the source? Are they credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

Is the source correct ? Is there a source? Who is the source? Are they credible?

The source has to be the guard. A transfer is on the cards!

Gryire wrote: »
    The source has to be the guard. A transfer is on the cards!

Is the "informed source " the Garda? Or a mate of my brothers who goes drinking with the Garda's dentist.

Is the "informed source " the Garda? Or a mate of my brothers who goes drinking with the Garda's dentist.

it's prob as credible as the previous shatter/commissioner story
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/shatter-no-garda-report-exists-on-checkpoint-stop-595775.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wouldn't surprise me if the missing report emerged from some corner after FG & Lab vote confidence in Shatter tomorrow evening, the minister is likely worried that he is being setup for a fall. It all seems very peculiar, some journalists seem to have a detailed knowledge of the reports content which suggests they have seen it in the past.

Controversy or no controversy, more will have to be done to ensure data is not leaked from An Garda Síochána for political purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Sensitive Garda files have a habit of going missing in this country.

It would be more remarkable if one existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can the Guard just not come out and say it in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

if the source is correct

The honourable and wise thing to do would have been to offer a blood or urine sample, but Irish politicians don't do "honour" very well.

Advertisement