Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I've had the Horizon box for 2 weeks now and unless things change I am almost certainly going to return it because...

Wifi and phone work fine, no difference from the old setup apart from a slight increase in broadband speed, so major benefit from Horizon
    Not really interested in the media server aspect as my TV/PS3/laptop already have this ability, so again no benefit from Horizon.
    The "all in one" aspect of the box is a step backwards from a user point of view, everything stops working when the box needs power cycling, as it does much more often than it should.

However, the TV/DVR functions of the Horizon box are just shockingly bad!
      Channel browsing is much worse that the old setup, I want the channel/programme info easily and quickly accessible, fancy interfaces and multiple button presses only get in the way of want is needed.
    1. The user interface takes up way too much of the screen, way way too much!!!!
    2. The TV guide is not much better, its slow and doesn't tell you which season of a TV series is which, this is a major headache.
    3. When setting a recording the option to record "All seasons" should be there as well as single episode and entire season.
    4. Access to recordings is too clunky, again, way too screen area hungry, each item should be a line of text, if you want more info then press a button.
    5. When watching a recording, the "skip" forward/back option is gone, fast foward/back is NOT the same.
    6. Having the "Delete Everything" option so easily accessible is just looking for trouble! Honestly, how often does anyone need to do this?

So, overall the "background" functions of phone and broadband are fine, but as a user they should be this way, set them and forget them. The main interaction the majority of users have with the box is through the TV/DVR functions, and these are bad, very very bad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

pad199207 wrote: »
    So basically theres no point in getting Horizon because it isnt actually for "free" because of hidden charges and all that?
    I don't think anyone said that. UPC will give it to you for free because it locks you into a contract with them for 12 months, the same way mobile phone networks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

I was with UPC for years and was told over the phone that this wouldn't tie me into a 12 month contract. All calls recorded etc ..... Not planning on changing over anyway so not worried just deciding on whether to get a cheap netgear router as a range extender. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was with UPC for years and was told over the phone that this wouldn't tie me into a 12 month contract. All calls recorded etc ..... Not planning on changing over anyway so not worried just deciding on whether to get a cheap netgear router as a range extender. :(
    I'm not saying it will, but it's important to ask. I did and was told it wouldn't extend my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone know if it's possible to change the DNS settings on the box? I'm thinking of signing up to the SmartDNS service from Overplay.net and would like to know if I can change the DNS settings on the box or if I'll have to change the settings on every device I have connecting to the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

SteM wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to change the DNS settings on the box? I'm thinking of signing up to the SmartDNS service from Overplay.net and would like to know if I can change the DNS settings on the box or if I'll have to change the settings on every device I have connecting to the box.

Yes, if all you need to do is change the DNS servers, it's in the Basic/Local area network settings on 192.168.192.1 (unless you've changed this, in which case you don't need to be told where they are :D )

Yes, if all you need to do is change the DNS servers, it's in the Basic/Local area network settings on 192.168.192.1 (unless you've changed this, in which case you don't need to be told where they are :D )

Thanks, will have to give this a bash when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

padski08 wrote: »
    Set up Horizon last week and got 2 iPads connected to new box but the main iMac computer wouldnt connect to new horizon box (was showing full broadband though)

Got UPC techs out on Saturday and they advised that keep old UPC modem for the iMac.

The iMac is now running grand on old modem but the two iPads wont run on new Horizon modem (again they are showing full broadband strength)

Anyone any ideas on a solution?

Anybody have similar issues? Sorry for bumping. Not had chance to phone UPC again but its my target for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I only connected my horizon box last night and had the same issue with an IMac. I'll be ringing them tonight to try sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Synode wrote: »
    I only connected my horizon box last night and had the same issue with an IMac. I'll be ringing them tonight to try sort.

Try and shorten the SSID.

• Advertisement

Every now and then - mabe once a day the picture will go fuzzy/grainy and the programme will start to cut in and out. This happens until I turn the box off and back on again.

Anyone else having this problem? It's a pain when it happens during a recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

padski08 wrote: »
    Anybody have similar issues? Sorry for bumping. Not had chance to phone UPC again but its my target for tonight
    Could it be the same issue as here? :

http://community.upc-cablecom.ch/posts/2bcb371edb

Use google chrome to auto translate ..

"iMac G4 (Lamp) and WPA encryption
    Contents:
    Hi,

I have an iMac G4 (700MHz) standing in my kitchen for some time as a recipe database.

With the old Thompson modem Cablecom unfortunately I could not via wifi to the internet with this pearl. So I had resigned myself, but with the new Horizon box might open up new possibilities to me ..

The iMac has the 802.11b AirPort card splashing around and can therefore only be based on the WEP security on the WLAN access the Horizon box. But this has a WPA2 encryption ...

How can I get the nice "bedside lamp" still delight with access to Wi-Fi network?

Please help me .."

Also some info here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3083540?start=0&tstart=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SlavD

@padski08 I have iPad working with the new box just fine (it's all on default config)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

SlavD wrote: »
    @padski08 I have iPad working with the new box just fine (it's all on default config)

I will try what Achilles said (shorten the SSID) or Bob11 by following the apple discussion link

Will try start from scratch and get all three running off Horizon box as this is what I want going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

quenching wrote: »
    I've had the Horizon box for 2 weeks now and unless things change I am almost certainly going to return it because...

However, the TV/DVR functions of the Horizon box are just shockingly bad!
      Channel browsing is much worse that the old setup, I want the channel/programme info easily and quickly accessible, fancy interfaces and multiple button presses only get in the way of want is needed.
    1. The user interface takes up way too much of the screen, way way too much!!!!
    2. The TV guide is not much better, its slow and doesn't tell you which season of a TV series is which, this is a major headache.
    3. When setting a recording the option to record "All seasons" should be there as well as single episode and entire season.
    4. Access to recordings is too clunky, again, way too screen area hungry, each item should be a line of text, if you want more info then press a button.
    5. When watching a recording, the "skip" forward/back option is gone, fast foward/back is NOT the same.
    6. Having the "Delete Everything" option so easily accessible is just looking for trouble! Honestly, how often does anyone need to do this?

So, overall the "background" functions of phone and broadband are fine, but as a user they should be this way, set them and forget them. The main interaction the majority of users have with the box is through the TV/DVR functions, and these are bad, very very bad indeed.

Wow that is very harsh! There are valid things in your list for sure, and I hope you fill out the survey and let them know that the actual TV viewing part is ill thought out in parts, but still, for me its a huge step up from the old box, which was slow, ugly and could not record two things at once without going to standby.

I hope they resolve the issues with navigation, disable the laggy picture preview boxes (or make them optional.. maybe somebody out there likes them) re-introduce the +1min button and a few other improvements, but do remember this is a trial and you are being compensated.

My take on it is they put too much stock on a flashy UI, the on-demand services, and the apps and did not really refine the TV viewing/browsing experience, which for a lot of people is way more important.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I had set up my iPad and iPhone with twonky last week and when I looked last night they were gone. Does this happen every time there is an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kingkenny76

I self installed Horizon last night, I'm on the 100M package and getting 32M max wired.

I've been on hold for 1 hour last night and tonight and so far UPC tell me I'm on 100M from what they can see at their end. I was cut off tonight when talking to the 'self install' team and dont have the energy to ring them again at night.

I rang this morning and got talking to someone straight away but they werent able to do much because I was ringing from work.

I'll be able to call during daytime from home next week so hopefully it can get sorted.

Anyone else on 100M getting less than 50M wired? Did anyone get this sorted and if yes, do you know how to sort it.

thanks

I'm having the same problem; I rang up and they told me it was my Vista laptop so I tried it on my Win 7 laptop and got the same result she then said it is the cable I'm using but I told her I'm using a CAT6 cable she then said my laptop wasn't fast enough. When I said I can try it on my work laptop did she change her mind and agreed to send out an engineer.

I have run about 20-30 UPC speed tests and I've been taking screen shots of them and saving them but the funny thing is about 5-6 times I've speeds of 100-112mb so it is not my cable and it is not my laptops.

When I run the speed test it goes from 0-18mb in the blink of an eye but pauses for a second then jumps to about 28mb the pauses again for a second and then jumps to the result which is usually between 38-50mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm having the same problem; I rang up and they told me it was my Vista laptop so I tried it on my Win 7 laptop and got the same result she then said it is the cable I'm using but I told her I'm using a CAT6 cable she then said my laptop wasn't fast enough. When I said I can try it on my work laptop did she change her mind and agreed to send out an engineer.

I have run about 20-30 UPC speed tests and I've been taking screen shots of them and saving them but the funny thing is about 5-6 times I've speeds of 100-112mb so it is not my cable and it is not my laptops.

When I run the speed test it goes from 0-18mb in the blink of an eye but pauses for a second then jumps to about 28mb the pauses again for a second and then jumps to the result which is usually between 38-50mb.

Your profile may not have been provisioned correctly on their end. Alot of the regular tech support types on those lines haven't got a clue. Did you ring the dedicated Horizon TV support number? It's in this thread... somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

I also got asked if I was using a laptop - dont know why this should matter. They werent interested in what OS I was using.

I got 2 speed tests where the download speed was over 100M but every other test was approx 30M.

I've tried a second cable and tried a second ethernet port on the back of the horizon box but no change.

I wont be able to ring them during the day until Wed and I'm not wasting my time trying to ring them between 6 and 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

im in the same boat, they are sending out a technician in the morning

@ MonkstownHoop - did the engineer sort your broadband speed?

Someone suggested you shouldnt have the signal splitter but I dont have it, so I dont think that is your problem unless you are running 2 routers.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    Your profile may not have been provisioned correctly on their end. Alot of the regular tech support types on those lines haven't got a clue. Did you ring the dedicated Horizon TV support number? It's in this thread... somewhere.

I didn't know there was a Horizon TV support number :confused: Do you have it handy? If not I'll look through the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I didn't know there was a Horizon TV support number :confused: Do you have it handy? If not I'll look through the post.

If you find it will you post it here.

I also got asked if I was using a laptop - dont know why this should matter. They werent interested in what OS I was using.

I got 2 speed tests where the download speed was over 100M but every other test was approx 30M.

I've tried a second cable and tried a second ethernet port on the back of the horizon box but no change.

I wont be able to ring them during the day until Wed and I'm not wasting my time trying to ring them between 6 and 9pm.

Yeah, it's weird there seems to be some sort of slow down either from UPC or from the box.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

they gave me the number on twitter, but when its only a self install helpline, once you have it set up its no use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

@ MonkstownHoop - did the engineer sort your broadband speed?

Someone suggested you shouldnt have the signal splitter but I dont have it, so I dont think that is your problem unless you are running 2 routers.

he changed some wiring and there was a slight difference in speed but as he said himself the laptop im using, which is about 5 yrs old might be the issue, there will be another call out soon with a new laptop to see if that is in fact the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You know if your network port isn't a gigabit network port its impossible to get over a hundred megs??

Anyone know a way of getting 4OD stream playing on my SGS2 to go thru Horizon box so I can watch it on the TV?
    Desperately want to watch last series of Shameless!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,404 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone's else's picture quality changed recently ? Mind has gone to like super HD which means its extra bright and all the sets look fake , I keep my screen in cinema mode which genreally gives it the best affect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Has anyone else received an error 2010? I was away for a week turned on the box this morning and cannot get any tv channels, recordings all seem to be gone also.

I also fully agree with quenching's post on the DVR side of things it's a big step backwards, usability isn't very intuitive, the delete everything option is in the completely wrong location and I haven't yet found a way to delete all of a series.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement