Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,328 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Right so i just got around to hooking up my Western Digital MyBookWorld with twonky V6 on it, I can see the films on the horizion box and when I play them i only get sound, with no video.

normally i'd say tis a CODEC issue and it would be simple fix.

any ideas how to fix this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

icdg wrote: »
    Merged

Merged with what other thread and why is this now in the Terrestrial forum?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Hi what download Speed people getting with the iPhone 4
    Wpa2 Aes

iPhone 4 Download Speed
    iPhone4s Download Speed
    iPhone 5 Download Speed

I'm on 50MB Package
    Max I got on iPhone 4 was 29mb
    all other wireless devices getting up to 45mb
    I like to know if anyone got high wireless download speed using any of the above iPhones 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

How to get Facebook on horizon upc box any idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Why has the thread been moved to Terrestrial?
    derek4567 wrote: »
    How to get Facebook on horizon upc box any idea

It's in the apps on the box isn't it. I've seen it there but not tried to open yet.

Does anyone know if you can get Netflix? It would be great if you can download other apps for the box.

Has anyone got streaming from a NAS to work? I could see a file late last night on my NAS but when I pressed play the whole thing froze. I gave up and went to bed. I'll have another look later.

Also, is the dedicated number someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the freephone number they gave in the Installation guide (they called it the Self-Install help desk). If so, it's 1800 941 969

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

Synode wrote: »

It's in the apps on the box isn't it. I've seen it there but not tried to open yet.

Does anyone know if you can get Netflix? It would be great if you can download other apps for the box.

Has anyone got streaming from a NAS to work? I could see a file late last night on my NAS but when I pressed play the whole thing froze. I gave up and went to bed. I'll have another look later.

Also, is the dedicated number someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the freephone number they gave in the Installation guide (they called it the Self-Install help desk). If so, it's 1800 941 969

In im there put it looking for code to download

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

this has been moved into the wrong thread
    Horizon Trial is a UPC service
    not Terrestrial
    This tread should be in UPC Thread or Cable/MMDS/IPTV
    I Suggest it be moved to more correct thread of UPC

Somehow i doubt it, it would be in direct competition with UPCs on demand selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cisk wrote: »
    Somehow i doubt it, it would be in direct competition with UPCs on demand selection.

But their on demand stuff (outside of the movies) is "free" anyway with a relatively basic sub.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did add a front end for netflix, theres really no difference to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

This shouldn't be in the Terrestrial forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

ethernet wrote: »
    This shouldn't be in the Terrestrial forum.

Agree. Back to Cable or else to the UPC forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 derekE222

Hi Guys,

couple of questions,

I'm trying to set up a home network, the box will recognize my S3and the wife's i phone 4s when twonky is running but it will not recognise my laptop. its a dell inspiron running windows 8.

I have tried logging into192.168.192.1 and setting up from there,tried both with wireless and with cable and also uninstalling and reinstalling twonky on the laptop with no joy. Spent about 45 mins on to a phone with a tech agent and after having me on hold for most of the call the best he could advise is to turn off an on the box!!

2nd question, is it possible to watch your recording from the box on your i phone via twonky. anytime i try i get and error saying MIME file not supported?

Thanks

Got streaming from my NAS running last night. Froze a couple of times so had to go back to the XBox.

Is Twonky and good? Are you able to stream what you are watching on a tablet to the box? I can't get it working on a Nexus 7 (wont push the vid I'm watching). Going to have a go on an IPhone now.

derekE222 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

couple of questions,

I'm trying to set up a home network, the box will recognize my S3and the wife's i phone 4s when twonky is running but it will not recognise my laptop. its a dell inspiron running windows 8.

I have tried logging into192.168.192.1 and setting up from there,tried both with wireless and with cable and also uninstalling and reinstalling twonky on the laptop with no joy. Spent about 45 mins on to a phone with a tech agent and after having me on hold for most of the call the best he could advise is to turn off an on the box!!

2nd question, is it possible to watch your recording from the box on your i phone via twonky. anytime i try i get and error saying MIME file not supported?

Thanks

You shouldn't need Twonky to connect to the WiFi on the Horizon box if that's what you mean. Ring UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Got streaming from my NAS running last night. Froze a couple of times so had to go back to the XBox.

Is Twonky and good? Are you able to stream what you are watching on a tablet to the box? I can't get it working on a Nexus 7 (wont push the vid I'm watching). Going to have a go on an IPhone now.

Twonky Beam is what you are referring to and the box doesn't support that so you cant send what you're watching to the box. Its twonky server or twonky mobile is the one's you want.

Currently the box only acts as a DLNA client, not server so currently you can only watch things that youre sharing on the box, not watch things that are on the box like recordings. The box doesn't seem to actually store any content other then recordings so its a shame you cant play them but I suspect its rights issues that are preventing this rather then a limitation of the box.

Cheers. Twonky Beam looks great but I can't get any other devices to show up under display device. I'll give Twonky Mobile a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,328 ✭✭✭✭ted1

icdg wrote: »
    Merged
    I think there is to much merging there's question as answers in here that are all mixed up as there is to many conversations going on at once can we please have separate threads for different categories .
    Also why is this now in the terrestrial forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

how do you set up a home network? ive tried a few times but have had no luck. when i go in to setup home network it just says there are currently no devices detected. yet my laptop and my phone are connected to the wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm having the same issue. Can't seem to do anything with Twonky Beam or Mobile. Anyone have any idea?
    how do you set up a home network? ive tried a few times but have had no luck. when i go in to setup home network it just says there are currently no devices detected. yet my laptop and my phone are connected to the wifi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Agree. Back to Cable or else to the UPC forum?

I don't know who moved it, it wasn't me. There is a Moderator Log at the top of the page for mods and the move to Terrestrial isn't even mentioned in it. Wierd.

In any case, moved back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Anyone figured out how to delete an entire series? I have one series which has recorded 16 episodes and I can only seem to delete them individually, so that means over 100 button presses plus around 20 seconds each so over 5 minutes of my time. What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

quenching wrote: »
    Anyone figured out how to delete an entire series? I have one series which has recorded 16 episodes and I can only seem to delete them individually, so that means over 100 button presses plus around 20 seconds each so over 5 minutes of my time. What am I missing?

Answer here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84748301&postcount=1917

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

zg3409 wrote: »

Thanks, thought I'd already done that and it resulted in them being grouped by series but when I select a series it shows the episodes of the series, I'll try again later and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

You will need to install a media server on both phone and PC. The one UPC recommend is 'Twonky' which is available as an App for your phone and download for your PC (you will need to ring UPC for a key code for the PC version).

When you have done both, and you go through the steps of setting up a network on the box, you should see options like 'Twonky server' to add to the network and away you go.

An alternative to Twonky is www.serviio.org but I haven't used this with the UPC box yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 patrykeith

Using serviio. No problems. Find it better than twonky. Finds the film covers itself online and allows for streaming from online tv. Still havent fully figured out the streaming part properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I wonder if the Horizon box could be made into an Airplay receiver. There are PC apps out there that enable receiving an audio & video Airplay signal, it'd be great if the Horizon box could do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Evilbart

Anyone manage to set up a logitech remote with this horizon box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Evilbart wrote: »
    Anyone manage to set up a logitech remote with this horizon box?

From what I read here is if you set it up as Horizon then the most basic infra red commands work. No-one has reverse engineered the RF or radio part, which would need some sort of transmitter to send commands such as the keyboard etc. If the remote does not have a radio transmitter then it can never send radio commands. The basic commands seem to be infra red and part of the logitech database.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Currently the box only acts as a DLNA client, not server so currently you can only watch things that youre sharing on the box, not watch things that are on the box like recordings. The box doesn't seem to actually store any content other then recordings so its a shame you cant play them but I suspect its rights issues that are preventing this rather then a limitation of the box.
    Interestingly, (as someone posted previously) you can browse the recordings using another DLNA client. I use uPnP on Android, and you can select the Horizon box as a DLNA server/resource, and browse the various folders on the device, including recordings (which includes the meta-data about the recorded programs). They won't play though, so may be encrypted, or stored in a bespoke/customized format suitable only for the box. I'd imagine someone will, at some point, find a way around this, unless the boxes are locked down by a firmware update when the trial period is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement