Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Roland27 wrote: »
    Hi, couple of queries:

Is this trial for the UPC Horizon Set Top Box over?

Does anyone know when/if UPC plan on making this UPC Horizon Set Top Box
    available to its customers? As in when can I upgrade to it?

I doubt it - I just got an email telling me my trial box is being delivered this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yup, we're missing this as well. It's just too slow to change channels as it's currently set up.

I'm now seeing the sound issues with recorded shows. There are gaps in the audio at random intervals of any show we record.

Also the channel that is playing does correspond to the channel icon displayed. e.g. It'll be showing RTE, but the icon shows as BBC. Thing a few people have mentioned this issue.

Record Entire Series seems to be flaky. It only seems to work sometimes.

Can't for the life of me get Twonky working, but will try again over the weekend.

The UI is ok. I expected better. There are far too many clicks to do simple actions.
    IMO, the Sky UI is still much better.

KenH wrote: »
    Just got the box. A couple of issues off the bat:

The buttons on the remote are small. Probably too small for general public...which includes older people.

Really miss the quick channel browser (press OK and left/right on old one). It could be easily implemented on the new one just by pressing right/left on a program to make it even quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Hit the Back button, then use the up and down buttons, and you get PIP channel browsing! Use the right button to browse ahead.

Pressing up/down isn't quite as comfortable on the thumb as left/right. Also, the picture in picture slows it down a little, but that will do for now. Thanks!

Another thing I miss:

Not seeing what is currently being recorded above the channel bar information like in the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭antoisspence

Anyone else been having their wireless connection dropping out?

Self-installed the horizon box yesterday, no problems at all. The delivery guy didn't take old UPC box or router although when I connected the router to my computer just to see if it'd still work there was no signal.

Got both laptops connected to the Horizon box just fine but the desktop doesn't have any in-built wireless capabilities so I'm using one of those wireless usb dongle thingies......pretty sure that's the technical term.

Anyways, while I'm using the desktop the signal will just randomly drop and I'm not sure if the problem is with the Horizon signal or the actual usb itself. The connection is easily restored by pulling the stick out and putting it right back in so that leads me to think that it may be the stick.

Anyone else gone through something similar?

• Advertisement

I have wireless, but it's not connected to the internet. Rang UPC and they said it wasn't consolidated into the new box and just use the old modem.....the courier wouldn't take that or the old UPC box off me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

I have wireless, but it's not connected to the internet. Rang UPC and they said it wasn't consolidated into the new box and just use the old modem.....the courier wouldn't take that or the old UPC box off me either.
    If your using old modem max you will get is 30mb
    If you have upc cisco 3925 modem it will run 50mb and above keep it as you can use your own router
    use horizon to connect to upc router/modem by client mode
    if though its the standard 2203 modem you wont get 50mb or above
    so depends on your house and wireless signal
    in my home horizon box wired and wireless is good but remember your pc or laptop will need to have gigabyte lan connection
    and for good wireless n be wireless 300 not wireless n 150 network card or usb

for those wanting good wireless speed make sure your wireless network card or usb wireless n device is wireless 300 don't bother using wireless n 150
    download software inssider great program to check your max speed will tell you if your connecting by wireless g or n and more important if your wireless n is 300
    and to see what channel is been use by close by other wireless networks

Anyone sort out the audio dropout on recorded programs?

My main gripe with the interface is you have to highlight everything in order to see details about it. What day is that recording set for? Oh wait...I have to select it first and press OK to see that. It's like a game of hide the info. In this respect, the old interface was miles ahead. The horizon tv website is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

My Horizon Box recorded a 1 hour programme for 12 hours last night. Is there a way to crop the 11 hours that I don't require? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Anyone sort out the audio dropout on recorded programs?

Just in case this might help, we'd intermittent dropping audio with both live & recorded shows. Thought it was our incoming cable to the house first, but then saw that it was doing the same with our own media from a NAS, so it had to be the box itself in some way.

Removed the NAS from 'My home network videos' on that hunch, and it's been perfect since. We've other issues (mostly Wi-Fi/internet ones) but at least we can watch television.

Another gripe is that i would rather the guide show in 1 hour chunks. You can set it but it is not permanent. Instead it defaults back to 30 mins chunks which suck because it has to compact the program name and only expands when you highlight it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This has happened to us as well. Adding it my feedback list.
    Jonathan wrote: »
    My Horizon Box recorded a 1 hour programme for 12 hours last night. Is there a way to crop the 11 hours that I don't require? :rolleyes:

Having a bit of trouble with my WiFi network compared to the old box. Speed is grand (ethernet & WiFi) but connectivity between devices (all Apple/iOS) is far less reliable than before.
    • A few apps such as Rowmote are prone to dropping connections/failing to connect, e.g. to a networked Mac Mini ( our media centre).
    • Airport Express (Gen 1) in the kitchen is struggling for a dependable connection. Sending audio to the connected stereo via Airplay is very hit and miss.
    • Remote Desktop connections are now extremely laggy. Machines/assets are not appearing consistently under Bonjour.

Could anyone who considers their Horizon network setup to be pretty solid do me a favour and post your settings? Anything like:
    • What Wireless Security Mode, Authentication & Encryption did you go for?
    • Which options (WAN Blocking, IPSec pass through, PPTP pass through, Multicast, UPnP) are enabled?
    • What 802.11 Mode works best?

We've a regular semi-D with WiFi networks all around us, so we've picked a unique channel and used to have reasonable coverage all around the house and garden with the apps above working perfectly. Quite happy with the Horizon box overall but would like our WiFi working as well as it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anyone know how to connect Vuze to the My Devices
    The list is coming up Mozilla Linux then Xbox Samsung Tv
    Which one should I choose to stream.
    many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mikey23 wrote: »
    we've picked a unique channel and used to have reasonable coverage all around the house

Just because no-nody is using a particular channel number (say 10) does not mean you will not get interference from adjacent channels (say 9 and 11)

You need to pick the channel with the quietest active users, which is hard to determine as a user may not use their wifi much one evening, but download continously another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

zg3409 wrote: »
    Just because no-nody is using a particular channel number (say 10) does not mean you will not get interference from adjacent channels (say 9 and 11)

You need to peak the channel with the quietest active users, which is hard to determine as a user may not use their wifi much one evening, but download continously another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Fair point. We've tweaked this in the past as more networks have appeared nearby. Currently using NetSpot I see users on channels 1 (2 networks), 2, 3, 5, 6 (5 unique networks!), 7, 10, 11 (2). Nearest and strongest signal is on Ch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

In that case I would use channel 13. Some devices (especially ones from USA) and laptops depending how they are set up, cannot see channels 12 and 13, as they are set to USA for country.

iPhone wireless is dropping with horizon box
    I have setup using buffalo router (Wireless Disabled ) and using my belkin wireless router for iphone and pc is connected by wired from belkin and wirelees to horizon so all devices see my pc
    no problems with iphone using belkin wireless so the horizon wireless must be problem with iphone dropping connection
    At least I have backup wireless to solve this

• Advertisement

Mikey23 wrote: »
    Having a bit of trouble with my WiFi network compared to the old box. Speed is grand (ethernet & WiFi) but connectivity between devices (all Apple/iOS) is far less reliable than before.
    • A few apps such as Rowmote are prone to dropping connections/failing to connect, e.g. to a networked Mac Mini ( our media centre).
    • Airport Express (Gen 1) in the kitchen is struggling for a dependable connection. Sending audio to the connected stereo via Airplay is very hit and miss.
    • Remote Desktop connections are now extremely laggy. Machines/assets are not appearing consistently under Bonjour.
    Could anyone who considers their Horizon network setup to be pretty solid do me a favour and post your settings? Anything like:
    • What Wireless Security Mode, Authentication & Encryption did you go for?
    • Which options (WAN Blocking, IPSec pass through, PPTP pass through, Multicast, UPnP) are enabled?
    • What 802.11 Mode works best?
    We've a regular semi-D with WiFi networks all around us, so we've picked a unique channel and used to have reasonable coverage all around the house and garden with the apps above working perfectly. Quite happy with the Horizon box overall but would like our WiFi working as well as it can.
    Horizon Wireless there looks as if there is a problem with apple devices on wireless
    I have solved this by using my own belkin wireless router

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulkeno

sidekick wrote: »
    What is the correct forum to provide feedback and ask questions to UPC on the Horizon experience? I've looked around and found nothing. For a trial designed to solicit customer feedback this is rather odd. Generally I'm pleased but like others in this thread I have some issues with the performance and usability of the interface.

Issues include...
    Blank screen with Philips TV -- I saw the post about having the most up to date software but what is the latest version number of this software?
    Jumpy remote performance -- sometimes it misses a key press; other times it registers two key presses.
    Setup code didn't include TV remote codes -- need to find those on boards.ie

I'm not looking for hand holding here, but I would like to know that UPC is receiving these questions and can provide feedback/address these issues in upcoming releases of the software and documentation.

go to the Philips website and download the newest software associated with your TV model on to USB and then update it from there, or just check for updates in the settings menu.
    this didn't fix the issue for me, I still get drops now and again, I changed the box settings to RGB/1080i etc. but didn't make a difference.

I found that by turning off the auto standby it reduced the number of blackouts quite a bit.

I found that most problems occurred in the first hour of the box being turned back on, it wouldn't record morning programs, and sometimes would need a power cycle if the auto standby had kicked in during the day, if you still want to turn it off use the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

paulboland wrote: »
    download software inssider great program to check your max speed will tell you if your connecting by wireless g or n and more important if your wireless n is 300 and to see what channel is been use by close by other wireless networks

Dont download inssider from download.com - I'm getting popup ads, ever since I downloaded it yesterday. Have to run Malware & CCleaner to get rid of all the crap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont download inssider from download.com - I'm getting popup ads, ever since I downloaded it yesterday. Have to run Malware & CCleaner to get rid of all the crap.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Wifi analyser on Android download from Google play store, really good app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

MAJJ wrote: »
    Wifi analyser on Android download from Google play store, really good app

Or Inssider

Twonky licence key
    called 1908
    goto my twonky on my account page
    clicked my twonky
    error 404
    Oops!

The page you requested can’t be found. It may not exist anymore or it might have moved. Here’s some links that should help you get back on track.

Here's some links that should help you get back on track
    anyone else have problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hadn't seen the "My Twonky" link before, so clicked it and same result; 404.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

paulboland wrote: »
    Twonky licence key
    called 1908
    goto my twonky on my account page
    clicked my twonky
    error 404
    Oops!

The page you requested can’t be found. It may not exist anymore or it might have moved. Here’s some links that should help you get back on track.

Here's some links that should help you get back on track
    anyone else have problem

Got the same error but just downloaded twonky manager direct from twonky site and rang 1908 for licence code.

• Advertisement

nialldinho wrote: »
    Got the same error but just downloaded twonky manager direct from twonky site and rang 1908 for licence code.
    I rang them and they said will give me my licence code
    asked them to send by email as my hand I use to write with is out of action due to broken arm
    I can type with left hand but as I'm right handed write down code not possible for me
    still awaiting for arrival of email

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement