Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

anybody receive there bill yet...just had a look at mine and im a little bit puzzled..... i think i might have been charged extra :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

5ghz is deactivated also although in fairness i haven't read into what that actually does. Missus is starting to complain now and right enough, i've seen my credit being wiped out also not realising i've reverted to 3G.
    5GHz does the same thing 2.4 GHz does. The difference is the 5GHz spectrum is less crowded, so you should get better service (though, if I'm not mistaken, 5GHz also doesn't reach as far).
    edit: I was also checking out speeds on upc speedtest and laptop shows 37mbs wireless (sitting right beside box) and 77mbs or so wired. Is this normal for 100mbs? I've got a wireless N card in laptop.
    It's probably normal. Unless it's a very recent and fairly high-end laptop it is very possible there is a bottleneck in the computer even over a wired connection (i.e. the internet is going as fast as the computer can handle). Not necessarily, but I've had this issue before. UPC sent out engineers and all. No one could figure it out, until I just happened to try a different computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Gdauto123 wrote: »
    If you do a factory reset do you lose your recorded programs ?
    yes if you do full factory reset
    you are asked if you want to remove recordings
    your also asked if you want to keep user settings

if your box is having audio drop outs and you let in network home media setup scan your library
    You will have to remove all settings

Note it will not remove any settings of network you setup like ssid or password it keeps them for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭granturismo

anybody receive there bill yet...just had a look at mine and im a little bit puzzled..... i think i might have been charged extra :confused:

I just received my bill and it is €20 more than normal, I submitted my Horizon agreement last week.

I rang accounts and was told because I changed packages, I was billed for 5 weeks instead of 4, she was very condescending. I pointed out that I was billed for 100Mb broadband when I was only getting 30M wired. I signed up to 100Mb for Horizon but havent set it up yet. She passed me over to the broadband section where a very helpful guy noticed that my previous bundle had been split so I was billed for phone, TV and broadband separately. He applied a credit to my current bill and rearranged the bundle for Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

Same here. Seems I've been charged for 10 days broadband, phone and tv seperately (old bundle refunded 01/05 to 20/05, seperate charges 01/05 to 10/05, new Horizon bundle from 10/05 to 20/05)

Just as well we got the €102 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

How far in general does the UPC box reach for wireless connection?

I live in a cosy (quite small) 2 bedroom house and the signal is pretty much limited to the parlour room downstairs and the kitchen its attached to. As soon as I go out the back door forget about it, signal is lost. As soon as I go upstairs to bed signal is lost also.

I've tried playing with the network settings but changing channels doesn't do squat that i've noticed. 5ghz is deactivated also although in fairness i haven't read into what that actually does. Missus is starting to complain now and right enough, i've seen my credit being wiped out also not realising i've reverted to 3G.

I really dont see why I should have to go out and spend 40€ on wireless repeaters for such a small space to cover when this box should do it all.

...... PS using Reddit on 3G is costly. :p

edit: I was also checking out speeds on upc speedtest and laptop shows 37mbs wireless (sitting right beside box) and 77mbs or so wired. Is this normal for 100mbs? I've got a wireless N card in laptop.
    2 things you need to know
    first download software insider
    install insider on your laptop
    use the insider to find information of your network read user guide in program to understand

Second your network card might be wireless N but there are 2 Types
    Wireless n 150
    Wireless n 300
    to get good wireless n speed you need it to be n 300
    on n 150 you will get low speeds up to max 50mb-60mb by wireless
    Wired you should be getting about 90-100 or more something wrong there
    Unless your laptop has not got gigabyte interface you need that to get above 100Mb
    If its 10/100 interface you wont get 100mb wired
    Don't have a Wireless Router any way near a kitchen due to fridge,microwave and any wireless Phones using 2.4ghz
    If possible if you have upc point upstairs try that point that way wireless signal has less interference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I rang accounts and was told because I changed packages, I was billed for 5 weeks instead of 4, she was very condescending.

UPC's favourite way of trying to tell you you haven't been overcharged - Confuse you with dates. Stick with it if you are sure and they'll eventually realise they are wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is there a way to add apps to the device? I wouldn't mind having a netflix app on it.

My youtube still isn't working - video not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

I just received my bill, €25 more than what it should be & also no sign of the credit.Plus broadband still not upgraded even tho i have been charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭gar

Got an email to do a survey on the horizon. Not looked at it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I answered it, seems fairly comprehensive, I complained heavily about the wifi (its awful) I do love the TV service though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

im wondering are you allowed to spend the 12 euro on a few films or is it a maximum of 12 euro on 2 films?

i assume we can just not get a film and have the €12 used off the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 danskulz

does anyone know what the default username and password are for logging into horizon on my pc so i can open ports having seriously problems connecting my xbox to it via wireless even though its in the same room

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

danskulz wrote: »
    does anyone know what the default username and password are for logging into horizon on my pc so i can open ports having seriously problems connecting my xbox to it via wireless even though its in the same room

Default IP address:

Default Username:
    admin
    Default Password:
    admin

Youll have to switch it to WEP the Horizon box and Xbox doesnt seem to like each other on WPA2

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Conehead33

It's admin and admin...better to connect the xbox through LAN if you can though...

Conehead33 wrote: »
    It's admin and admin...better to connect the xbox through LAN if you can though...

Do you mean by ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Synode wrote: »
    Do you mean by ethernet cable?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

How far in general does the UPC box reach for wireless connection?

I live in a cosy (quite small) 2 bedroom house and the signal is pretty much limited to the parlour room downstairs and the kitchen its attached to. As soon as I go out the back door forget about it, signal is lost. As soon as I go upstairs to bed signal is lost also.

I've tried playing with the network settings but changing channels doesn't do squat that i've noticed. 5ghz is deactivated also although in fairness i haven't read into what that actually does. Missus is starting to complain now and right enough, i've seen my credit being wiped out also not realising i've reverted to 3G.

I really dont see why I should have to go out and spend 40€ on wireless repeaters for such a small space to cover when this box should do it all.

...... PS using Reddit on 3G is costly. :p

Im the same. I live in a 2 bed apartment. I signed up for 100mb and although I am getting 95mb wired, I am only getting 45mb wireless. I have a brand new Dell laptop with windows 8 installed. Was on to the tech guys and they told me to install the inssider app. I tried changing channels but to no avail. There was a problem with my bill today so I rang up and the girl I was talking to said there was a problem with the wifi on the boxes and she suggested downgrading to 50mb. I am going to get onto the tech guys tomorrow to see if they can do anything before I downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 danskulz

has anyone been having problems in terms of speed, im on a 150mb connection but never seem to get that even when wired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

Yeah I got mine to today and was overcharged by €80. Was charged for 2 horizon subscriptions and more than normal on the hd subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Would it be better having it on 802.11N only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Anyone else notice that the tv menu is alot more responsive today? i checked the box info and found that there was an update pushed through today at about 12.30.
    iDann wrote: »

Possibly not, if you have it N only then older devices without N will not be able to use the wifi.
    has anyone been having problems in terms of speed, im on a 150mb connection but never seem to get that even when wired?

no issues with speed at all, have horizon max hd with 150mb, get full speed 24/7, did you have the same speeds without horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

paulboland wrote: »

Second your network card might be wireless N but there are 2 Types
    Wireless n 150
    Wireless n 300
    to get good wireless n speed you need it to be n 300
    on n 150 you will get low speeds up to max 50mb-60mb by wireless

How would I check which I have...Its a dell wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iDann wrote: »

Only if all the devices on the wifi network are N standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

just finished filling out the survey i received by email from upc about horizon...hopefully they take on some of the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

allen175 wrote: »
    no issues with speed at all, have horizon max hd with 150mb, get full speed 24/7,
    :eek:

Where did you sign up for 150mb? Thought the max was still 100

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can anyone tell me is there a way to change the library view of your recordings. I hate the way it shows them by day recorded rather than by series say on the old system. Its also calling all episodes of everything I've recorded Series 1, Episode 1.
    In terms of the black/white text is there a way to make this larger or a different colour, my husband is finding it very difficult to read it (he doesn't need glasses, he just found the other system much clearer). I've only been able to change things to transparent, clear or dark.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Where did you sign up for 150mb? Thought the max was still 100
    The max has been 150 for a good while now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement