Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Evilbart wrote: »
    Anyone manage to set up a logitech remote with this horizon box?

My Harmony Touch works with the box. It will change the channels as per norm. The MENU and Back buttons being up the same menu screens as the Horizon remote. So it works for all normal activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone manage to use the facebook app. It says to go to your computer and log in www.facebook.com/device. When I type this in it just brings me to a normal facebook login page? any advise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

you log in there and it will generate a code for you to put in

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Does anyone else's horizon box continue to broadcast it's own SSID when connected in client mode?
    I cannot find any way to turn this off. I factory reset the box last night but made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

dkane wrote: »
    Does anyone else's horizon box continue to broadcast it's own SSID when connected in client mode?
    I cannot find any way to turn this off. I factory reset the box last night but made no difference.
    http://192.168.192.1/
    user admin
    password admin (note you can change password in system)

Wireless you can disable wireless
    you can hide SSID

but remember if you want to connect horizon box by wireless in client mode you will have to leave wireless enabled
    if your using horizon box wired connection to different router as client mode you would have to have you had upc not have horizon box as your router and be using your previous upc router for horizon to connect too this would have to be arranged with upc
    if you want horizon connect to your router by wireless above is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

You will need to install a media server on both phone and PC. The one UPC recommend is 'Twonky' which is available as an App for your phone and download for your PC (you will need to ring UPC for a key code for the PC version).

When you have done both, and you go through the steps of setting up a network on the box, you should see options like 'Twonky server' to add to the network and away you go.

An alternative to Twonky is www.serviio.org but I haven't used this with the UPC box yet.

that is all well and good....but the horizon box isnt showing any devices at all to add to my home network....yet my phone is connecting and my laptop is connected. i already have twonky on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

zg3409 wrote: »

Checked this now and it doesn't work, refining by series will group all the episodes together alright but each still has to be deleted individually. So deleting 16 episodes takes 112 button presses!

Edit: UPC Reps have confirmed there is currently no method of deleting and entire series, its single episode or EVERYTHING on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Meesared wrote: »
    you log in there and it will generate a code for you to put in

Do you have a link ? Couldn't get it to work !

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davdvn

padski08 wrote: »
    Anybody have similar issues? Sorry for bumping. Not had chance to phone UPC again but its my target for tonight

Dont know if its related to your issue but i was trying to set up my sons xbox via wifi with Horizon box.
    Too cut a long story short it seems that the Horizon uses wpa2 security and xbox cant handle this so we had to go back to wpa instead and that worked fine.
    Although the wii and playstation had no problem connecting thru wpa2.

Just realised i added the wrong quote. The issue was with some folks trying to connect their imacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

that is all well and good....but the horizon box isnt showing any devices at all to add to my home network....yet my phone is connecting and my laptop is connected. i already have twonky on my phone

And is Twonky running on your phone? You should see an icon at the top of the screen. If it is, I'm out of ideas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

paulboland wrote: »
    http://192.168.192.1/
    user admin
    password admin (note you can change password in system)

Wireless you can disable wireless
    you can hide SSID

but remember if you want to connect horizon box by wireless in client mode you will have to leave wireless enabled
    if your using horizon box wired connection to different router as client mode you would have to have you had upc not have horizon box as your router and be using your previous upc router for horizon to connect too this would have to be arranged with upc
    if you want horizon connect to your router by wireless above is the same

Thanks Paul,
    My broadband and phone are not through the Horizon box, kept my UPC modem for that.
    I have connected the Horizon box over WiFi to my UPC modem (modem as access point, Horizon box as client) and this is working fine.
    However the Horizon box continues to broadcast its own SSID. I can connect to it and get an IP address over DHCP from it. Obviously I cannot get out to the Internet when connected to the Horizon box as my broadband is no longer terminated on it.

I don't want to turn the WiFi off on the box, I just want it to act as a wireless client and not as both a client and an access point.

And is Twonky running on your phone? You should see an icon at the top of the screen. If it is, I'm out of ideas...

twonky is running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

With twonky you don't need to go to that 'set up network screen'. Install it then go to My Devices (under Library) on the box and if you have twonky on devices and the devices are switched on, you should be able to see them and see any content on the devices for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nanif

I had a look at Twonky when I first got the box but there was nothing on the UPC page and the only thing I could find was a download that you could trial but then had to pay for so I left it.
    With my Windows Laptop I have enable file sharing so the Horizon box picks up the default folders like Videos, Music Pictures and I just save everything to the Videos folder. Works okay but I also find when streaming the video files will always cut out at some point while watching it if streaming over the wireless.
    What I ended up doing was hooking up a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian Wheezy using an ethernet cable and then hooking up a 2TB hard drive to that, videos stream a lot better that way and I am going to make the Pi into a torrent box so that I can just use that for any downloading.
    If you do not know about the Raspberry Pi then I would advise looking into it, I got mine up and running for about €60 and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have two Raspberry PIs running RaspBMC at home. I wouldn't dream of using the Horizon box as an alternative to these. I use a HP Proliant Microserver running UnRAID for my media server, but there's no reason why you can't connect an external HDD directly to it or use twonky to serve media to the PI from a Windows workstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nanif

I was running XBMC on OpenElec and found it great, chose to go with Wheezy so I could create a torrent box though. There is a new Fedora build though which is tempting, but that is off topic, sorry.
    I will say that if there is anyone out there who is using a Pi or anything similar and they are happy with it then please do not get the Horizon box as your heart will be broken. XBMC is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

My xbox with built in wireless, will only connect wirelessly when the router is set to WPA. I tried WPA2 but the xbox wont connect - anyone got any ideas?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

My xbox with built in wireless, will only connect wirelessly when the router is set to WPA. I tried WPA2 but the xbox wont connect - anyone got any ideas?

It is a known problem. The current solution is to use WPA, or a cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

thanks
    Yeah its been reported, it doesn't work with WPA2, should be fixed at some point, make sure you report it to UPC when they ask for feedback so they can have it fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone else having issues copying files from an Imac to a NAS via the Horizon box (SMP mapping)?

I had no issues with it last week before I installed the Horizon box. Since then I keep getting the spinning ball thing when I go to transfer files (from an Imac to a DS212 NAS) but it does nothing. I have to keep Force Quitting Finder.

I've just noticed that it does appear to be copying the files, as a 'part copied' file is appearing on the NAS. But the Mac isn't telling me that the copying is in progress before I force quit Finder.

Very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

What is the correct forum to provide feedback and ask questions to UPC on the Horizon experience? I've looked around and found nothing. For a trial designed to solicit customer feedback this is rather odd. Generally I'm pleased but like others in this thread I have some issues with the performance and usability of the interface.

Issues include...
    Blank screen with Philips TV -- I saw the post about having the most up to date software but what is the latest version number of this software?
    Jumpy remote performance -- sometimes it misses a key press; other times it registers two key presses.
    Setup code didn't include TV remote codes -- need to find those on boards.ie

I'm not looking for hand holding here, but I would like to know that UPC is receiving these questions and can provide feedback/address these issues in upcoming releases of the software and documentation.

sidekick wrote: »
    What is the correct forum to provide feedback and ask questions to UPC on the Horizon experience? I've looked around and found nothing. For a trial designed to solicit customer feedback this is rather odd. Generally I'm pleased but like others in this thread I have some issues with the performance and usability of the interface.

Issues include...
    Blank screen with Philips TV -- I saw the post about having the most up to date software but what is the latest version number of this software?
    Jumpy remote performance -- sometimes it misses a key press; other times it registers two key presses.
    Setup code didn't include TV remote codes -- need to find those on boards.ie

I'm not looking for hand holding here, but I would like to know that UPC is receiving these questions and can provide feedback/address these issues in upcoming releases of the software and documentation.

i received an email last week asking me to take part in a survey and to provide feedback on horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

As a matter of interest....did those having speed problems put the UPC card in the back of the new box? You're not supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Just got the box. A couple of issues off the bat:

The buttons on the remote are small. Probably too small for general public...which includes older people.

Really miss the quick channel browser (press OK and left/right on old one). It could be easily implemented on the new one just by pressing right/left on a program to make it even quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

KenH wrote: »
    Just got the box. A couple of issues off the bat:

The buttons on the remote are small. Probably too small for general public...which includes older people.

Really miss the quick channel browser (press OK and left/right on old one). It could be easily implemented on the new one just by pressing right/left on a program to make it even quicker.

Hit the Back button, then use the up and down buttons, and you get PIP channel browsing! Use the right button to browse ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,444 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Got it in last week, this thread has been great by the way.

I'll only mention a couple of issues:
    1. 1 recording (which was done at the same time as two more) - plays back okay for abuot 6 seconds then the picture goes all pixelated, pauses and stops, despite the information saying 54 minutes were recorded. Not sure if this is a once of glitch or caused perhaps when more than 2 recordings are taking place simultansously. (All other recordings are/were fine) Could well be a one of issues.
    2. Slightly more concerning is the issue where by the "picture" goes blank, despite the channel logo staying on screen. Happened twice so far requiring a reboot of the box. Hasn't happened in a few days mind. Also had issues with the "menu" hanging which required a box reboot. Gonna take more note of when and how this happens next time it does.
    3. On a minor side note, have not been able to get the home network thing setup on the box. Not too bothered as of yet but will have a proper look at this in the coming days.

I've had no other issues. I'd no problem changing the IP on the box, disabling the wireless and using my existing wireless router to manage the network (possibly linked to issues three above) but everything else, networking wise, is working.
    Menu system is a lot faster, I would say more intuitive and the additional features on the box over the standard box is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

sidekick wrote: »

There's always the 'Talk to UPC' boards forum;
    boards.ie > Biz > Talk to > UPC

UPC reps can't always provide the answer but they seem to be good about following up on issues or would at least know who to pass them on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Hi, couple of queries:

Is this trial for the UPC Horizon Set Top Box over?

Does anyone know when/if UPC plan on making this UPC Horizon Set Top Box
    available to its customers? As in when can I upgrade to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 So_Fresh

My sound isn't working through HDMI, works fine through scart but obviously picture quality is worse through scart. I tried a new HDMI cable and the sound worked initially, but then I went to make a cup of tea and when I returned the sound had disappeared again. So I'm just watching through scart ever since. Any ideas appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a Mirai television and is trying to configure their remote to work with the TV, the code 1849 worked for me. UPC don't even have Mirai in their list of manufacturers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement