Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

pc7 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is there a way to change the library view of your recordings. I hate the way it shows them by day recorded rather than by series say on the old system. Its also calling all episodes of everything I've recorded Series 1, Episode 1.

Yeah, this is possible but not nearly as easy as the old UPC box.

Select a recording of the series that you want, then push the 'right' key, it should give you an option to group by series, so then you can delete all episodes of the wife's Emmerdale that are constantly clogging up the box in one go.

It's a bit fiddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

Set up Horizon last week and got 2 iPads connected to new box but the main iMac computer wouldnt connect to new horizon box (was showing full broadband though)

Got UPC techs out on Saturday and they advised that keep old UPC modem for the iMac.

The iMac is now running grand on old modem but the two iPads wont run on new Horizon modem (again they are showing full broadband strength)

Anyone any ideas on a solution?

Anyone using their own modem attached to Cisco..... have you connected the horizon box to the cisco modem or your own router?
    My horizon box is connected to Cisco modem but does not see any of my devices. Should I connect it to my Netgear router?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah, this is possible but not nearly as easy as the old UPC box.

Select a recording of the series that you want, then push the 'right' key, it should give you an option to group by series, so then you can delete all episodes of the wife's Emmerdale that are constantly clogging up the box in one go.

It's a bit fiddly.

you are a life saver! no more listening to 'you should have just stuck with the old box!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

was there a software update today around 12pm horizon box message on box N Loading
    anyone notice this
    its finished loading and back to normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

Not sure but all i know is my on Demand & youtube app is working

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hi Peoples,

Was on the phone to UPC today and they offered me a Horizon Box for free and that my bill wouldnt change afterwards. Can I trust them?

And also is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fermi-paradox

I got the update, anyone notice anything different?
    All I can find is that the previews in the TV guide now have the logo superimposed on them,
    which I know is one thing people here complained about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

pad199207 wrote: »
    Was on the phone to UPC today and they offered me a Horizon Box for free and that my bill wouldnt change afterwards. Can I trust them?
    Maybe you asked the wrong question. It should have been "will I have to start a new contract? For how long?".

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭deeroy12

pad199207 wrote: »
    Hi Peoples,

And also is it worth getting?

Hi,I was offered the same a few backs stating i could keep my loyalty discounts,no new contract{was only a trial} & my bill would only increase by €2.50 p/mth but i was getting by Broadband increased from 30 to 100mbs.I took the offer & self installed the box last monday,but in typical UPC fashion my bill has increased by €25,Havent been given the €102 credit & broadband speed still at 30mbs.Have contacted them bout it but still no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

deeroy12 wrote: »
    Hi,I was offered the same a few backs stating i could keep my loyalty discounts,no new contract{was only a trial} & my bill would only increase by €2.50 p/mth but i was getting by Broadband increased from 30 to 100mbs.I took the offer & self installed the box last monday,but in typical UPC fashion my bill has increased by €25,Havent been given the €102 credit & broadband speed still at 30mbs.Have contacted them bout it but still no change
    Cheeky feicers denied me my loyalty discounts, but I'm out of contract in two months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Just checked for an update manually and it's updating now will post if I notice any differences so far very happy with the horizon box but obviously needs a few tweaks,hope the are listening to all the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'm hoping for a wifi improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

General question but can an update actually fix wifi range? or is this box pretty much maxed out because it is really really bad.

Has anyone on here actually received help from Reps to fix their issues (speaking about Wifi range only)? Rest of the TV stuff doesn't bother me at all at the moment. I understand that its a trial and all that but I don't think i've seen any acknowledgment that this is a known issue.

General question but can an update actually fix wifi range? or is this box pretty much maxed out because it is really really bad.

Has anyone on here actually received help from Reps to fix their issues (speaking about Wifi range only)? Rest of the TV stuff doesn't bother me at all at the moment. I understand that its a trial and all that but I don't think i've seen any acknowledgment that this is a known issue.
    Yeah range can be improved with updates

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

Broadband speed has dropped to 12mbps after software update, can they get anything right?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I want to port forward through my dd-wrt router and through the Horizon box. Any idea how to do this??? The horizon box is my modem ( and a router too I suppose). All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

flanna wrote: »
    Broadband speed has dropped to 12mbps after software update, can they get anything right?
    Wifi I'm not getting any problems
    I'm on 50mb package
    Wired I'm getting 52.9mb
    Computer Desktop
    Wifi laptop test 42mb and worst 30
    Only device not getting above 29mb is iPhone 4 and that's notting to do with the horizon

Use insider software to test for best channel and location of Horizon Box

Remember don't have horizon near a kitchen even next room to kitchen
    If you have fridge/microwave any metal
    2.4 ghz wireless phones
    Wireless will not give you 50mb on 50mb package
    Only wired connection will give you that
    Expect on wifi anything from 10mb to 42mb
    It all depends on your home and if anything blocking signal
    Don't use the same channel as your next door neighbour
    If you have wireless phone including wireless speakers make sure there not using same channel as horizon
    Also further away from horizon box you are the less signal you will get
    Use inssider software to test your wifi on device your using
    Can be use on windows or mac
    If wired connection is not good make sure your using gigabyte LAN connection on pc
    And wifi your pc or laptop wifi needs to be wireless N300 at least

If wifi is N150 max you can get is about 50-60mb
    And if your using wifi b or g if will not reach above 20mb
    And if any device is using wireless g the speed of other devices will drop
    All devices need to be wireless N

flanna wrote: »
    Mines not any slower, maybe its your end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I set the reminder for the Losers onTV3 it never came on but had the the little tick when I went into it at 9.02 in the TV guide, did this happen to anyone else.

• Advertisement

I have read this thread since day 1 and only today got my Horizon box installed. Got a call yesterday to say engineer would be out between 9 and 1. I said it wasnt good for me after 10:30, so they said I would be the first call.
    Engineer arrived at 9:30. Installation went very smooth. They had me down as a consolidated setup but I told them I wanted to keep my existing setup (Cisco in Bridge mode and using my own Netgear router). They had to get on to UPC to sort it and said I might lose BB for a couple of hours while they "unconsolidated" my package.
    Turns out I lost BB for just under 3 minutes in total. Knew what to expect about setup and pairing remote with my Philips TV etc from reading this thread. While waiting for setup to complete, I explained most of what I had learned on here to UPC guys. They were really eager to hear about issues and how to solve them :) so they learned quite a bit.
    A couple fo reboots of the Horizon box and everything is perfect. They upgraded me from 60 to 100mbs today and using speedtest (Wireless upstairs) am getting 78mbs down and 7.5mbs up.

After playing with it on and off all day, have to say am happy with it. I wouldnt pay more than a couple of Euro for it as its nothing spectacular and will be interested to see how much they charge for the Box when the trial is over. Kids love Youtube and I love Hangman - thats about it. I miss the ease of flicking through channels while watching one channel. Twonky up and running on about 5 different devices and it sees them all (now that I have the Horizon box plugged into my Netgear router instead of Cisco modem).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

I self installed Horizon last night, I'm on the 100M package and getting 32M max wired.

I've been on hold for 1 hour last night and tonight and so far UPC tell me I'm on 100M from what they can see at their end. I was cut off tonight when talking to the 'self install' team and dont have the energy to ring them again at night.

I rang this morning and got talking to someone straight away but they werent able to do much because I was ringing from work.

I'll be able to call during daytime from home next week so hopefully it can get sorted.

Anyone else on 100M getting less than 50M wired? Did anyone get this sorted and if yes, do you know how to sort it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I self installed Horizon last night, I'm on the 100M package and getting 32M max wired.

I've been on hold for 1 hour last night and tonight and so far UPC tell me I'm on 100M from what they can see at their end. I was cut off tonight when talking to the 'self install' team and dont have the energy to ring them again at night.

I rang this morning and got talking to someone straight away but they werent able to do much because I was ringing from work.

I'll be able to call during daytime from home next week so hopefully it can get sorted.

Anyone else on 100M getting less than 50M wired? Did anyone get this sorted and if yes, do you know how to sort it.

thanks

im in the same boat, they are sending out a technician in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

So basically theres no point in getting Horizon because it isnt actually for "free" because of hidden charges and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭kippy

im in the same boat, they are sending out a technician in the morning
    Not sure what the setup is "behind" the horizon box, but I wonder did you take the splitter that would have been there for the previous "two box" setup out of the equation and just make sure there is only ONE cable coming from the wall place?

kippy wrote: »
    Not sure what the setup is "behind" the horizon box, but I wonder did you take the splitter that would have been there for the previous "two box" setup out of the equation and just make sure there is only ONE cable coming from the wall place?

i did not , is this my problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭kippy

i did not , is this my problem?

I've no idea.
    It's something I would try in your situation however......

kippy wrote: »
    I've no idea.
    It's something I would try in your situation however......

probably too late to cancel now though unless i got up at 7/8 and ring them, few on me now, i won't bother touching anything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Ahhhhh YouTube is finally working! Great for music and stuff to keep the others quite :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

Youtube is still not working. When I click on the video it looks like it is going to start but then it stops and goes back to the channel I was originally watching. Any ideas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement