Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

• 17-05-2013 3:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

French media are reporting that Ronan O'Gara is poised to join Jonathan Sexton at Racing Metro for next season.

Sports newspaper, L'Equipe claim that the Munster out-half has agreed a 2-year contract to join the Paris club as an assistant coach.

The 36-year-old is rumoured to be joining as a kicking coach, which means that he would be working alongside his former rival for the Ireland number 10 shirt.

http://www.newstalk.ie/OGara-poised-to-join-Sexton-at-Racing-Metro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

If true, this is the definition of irony but fair play to ROG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'd say its highly unlikely O'Gara would have been hired without Johnny Sexton being consulted.

Could work out very well for both O'Gara & Sexton......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think Sexton is beyond learning from a player with a superior career under his belt so could work out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

It'd make a great sitcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well this thread is going to end well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

ROG could certainly learn a thing or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Not sure you really understand the whole "player-coach" relationship....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

This is priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I see that Newstalk missed/ignored the more mundane fact that O'Gara's primary role is supposed to be with the youth team, i.e. his contact with Sexton day-to-day will probably be minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I see that Newstalk missed/ignored the more mundane fact that O'Gara's primary role is supposed to be with the youth team, i.e. his contact with Sexton day-to-day will probably be minimal.

It's still funny :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh dear. :(

Here we go......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't think Sexton is beyond learning from a player with a superior career under his belt so could work out well.

This should be fun........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I think his experience will be a big benefit to the players, and sexton still hasnt reached his potential. So assuming theres no bad blood, which I doubt there is, it'll be great for sexton having a fellow irishman to step up his game. We laugh now, but a year down the line when Johnny is the face of Northern Hemisphere rugby, it will be partly down to O'Gara's coaching. Regardless on how people feel about him, he was good at kicking, damn good. And if Sexton gets his sniper rifle of a boot on him, with Sextons other attributes, its all good, just a shame its not in a Leinster jersey... sure he might even say Sexton to come back to Munster :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Can everyone read this again before we all start shouting at each other

Grimebox wrote: »
    Can everyone read this again before we all start shouting at each other

ah sure it will be grand, it's not like all the Leinster supporters are going on the lash this evening and will come home drunk as a skunk to try and start a fi....

Ah crap!!!!!

ROG could certainly learn how to tackle, not sure Johnny has time to waste teaching ROG though.

ROG could certainly learn how to tackle, not sure Johnny has time to waste teaching ROG though.

God this is pretty pathetic post. ROG is retired you know? Doubt he's going to be tackling the youngsters he'll be coaching

Please don't start this crap today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe ROG can finally teach Sexton how to control a game.

Hidden_trollface1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That was the offer from Stade Francais. I think he had offers from a few French clubs.

According to L'equipe, he met the Racing President in London today and he will be an Assistant Coach on a 2 year contract.
    ’ex-demi d’ouverture de l’Irlande et du Munster, Ronan O'Gara, qui a rencontré le président du Racing-Métro 92, Jacky Lorenzetti ce vendredi à Londres, s’est engagé pour deux ans avec le club francilien comme entraîneur-adjoint. A 36 ans, O’Gara (1083 points en 130 sélections) entame sa reconversion par un poste d’importance aux côtés du duo Laurent Labit-Laurent Travers, qui arrivera au Racing la saison prochaine.

Soap opera :D though in reality it could be good for both to help settle in as they will have some familarity with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

These things normally go well.

obiwan-and-anakin-obi-wan-kenobi-and-anakin-skywalker-8097494-500-375.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well Sexton's head is clearly not going to be right tonight :pac:

2VhMM.jpg

There's surely a sitcom to be made based around ROG and Sexton sharing a flat in Paris

trouttrout wrote: »
    God this is pretty pathetic post. ROG is retired you know? Doubt he's going to be tackling the youngsters he'll be coaching

well we wouldnt want the young kids being taught how to tackle wrongly?

might result in an injury that could be avoided.

anyway i'm off to get drunk and celebrate Sexton controlling Leinster to another medal.

*knock on wood*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

anyway i'm off to get drunk and celebrate Sexton controlling Leinster to another medal.

*knock on wood*

I really hope you don't regret that post.

I really hope you don't regret that post.

hence the knock on wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can't help but smile at that story. Life can be funny sometimes. It'll be nice that they now have someone they know in the area.

Balls that ROG wouldn't stay on the extra year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Good for ROG but I can't imagine O Gara speaking french!

The communication between Les Jeunes Racings and ROG should be interesting

Sexton is doing hours of French study a week just to comply with the RCM decision that all coaching shall be in French......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

*knock on wood*
    Or taught their grammar incorrectly

sweetie wrote: »
    Good for ROG but I can't imagine O Gara speaking french!

Si, il parle bien! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Si, il parle bien! :D

I think his French was decent enough, but probably rusty now (he may have 3rd level French). I remember a fairly fluent interview from him after the Toulouse game in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

This is like something you would read on 1 April! It's hilarious. Is there a Racing fans forum somewhere?

vienne86 wrote: »
    This is like something you would read on 1 April! It's hilarious. Is there a Racing fans forum somewhere?

If there is, Ill bet they're outraged that their entire fabric is being outsourced.

You only have to look at RCT to see the disconnect between a local following and a teams of mercs

jm08 wrote: »
    I think his French was decent enough, but probably rusty now (he may have 3rd level French). I remember a fairly fluent interview from him after the Toulouse game in 2000.

He did French for a year in UCC I think.

You would forget it really quickly though if you don't use it regularly. Reading French rugby fora and websites is a way for me to keep up mine.
    Is there a Racing fans forum somewhere?

http://forum.racing-metro92.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1297&p=51251&hilit=ronan+o%27gara#p51251

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You only have to look at RCT to see the disconnect between a local following and a teams of mercs

I know this is completely off topic but RCT do a lot for their fans. They organised a Heineken Cup village for the quarter final and are broadcasting the final on Stade Mayol's big screen. There is a financial disconnect between players and supporters but that would apply here too. Toulon-Munster is still the best atmosphere I've experienced at a match.

Clermont have only three more French players in their starting lineup for tomorrow than Toulon you know.

This shows that he obviously has done French beyond Leaving cert. ..... I'd say he'll be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Please don't start this crap today

What about tomorrow?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He gives the accent a decent shot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

http://forum.racing-metro92.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1297&start=1250

I think they're bemused more than anything else, wondering how this came about. No negative reaction yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

so when the camera shows ROG in the stand after Johnny misses a kick will be be happy or sad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

He gives the accent a decent shot anyway.

He's no Joey barton thats for sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if this pans out to be true, the racing have just become my french club of choice!!!

jaysus they have a knack for stirring the sh!te ;)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if this pans out to be true, the racing have just become my french club of choice!!!

jaysus they have a knack for stirring the sh!te ;)

Racing has already become my French club of choice.....I have always kept an eye on French rugby, but forget to watch the matches on Setanta....I only have it via internet, but that's changing for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Haha, who wrote this script?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its good that he is going abroad to start his coaching career. No doubt, a position awaits him at munster if he wants it but it could be good for Irish rugby in the future if he learns his trade abroad and broadens his knowledge..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Racing has already become my French club of choice.....I have always kept an eye on French rugby, but forget to watch the matches on Setanta....I only have it via internet, but that's changing for next season.

tv5monde sometimes shows matches

sydthebeat wrote: »
    tv5monde sometimes shows matches

Only the barrage matches in the Top 14 methinks. But yes, I do watch those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Rte confirmed. The ****

Nothing on the Racing Métro site anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement