Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well that brings up another question. Does a good player make a good coach? I'm fairly undecided on that. I think it takes a particular attitude to be a good coach, not just skills. For example, a lot of people are sold on the fact BOD will make a good backs coach, but for me I'm not sure he would...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A good coach does not have to be able to do, just instruct. I would consider analysis and communication far more important attributes. Greg Feek was a good prop but certainly not someone that stands out as one of the great scrummagers. He has been an outstanding coach though due to his ability to identify weaknesses and rectify his own sides shortcomings or attack the opposition's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    ROG/Sexton aside, I honestly don't think there's much Sexton could actually learn from ROG. Before people start jumping out of their seats, let me explain - ROG is known for his dead-eye kicking, but recentent years Sexton is no slouch at it either. Is ROG better at it than Sexton? However, none of this should really come into it. If ROG was there to teach Sexton how to improve his tactical kicking, well, that would defeat the entire purpose of signing Sexton in the first place. You want him because he's not the stand-off archetype tactical kicker that ROG is/was. It's chalk and cheese, and you don't want to mix the two.

However, ROG will make an absolutely fantastic kicking coach for the other younger players at the squad.

Completely disagree on certain things. Sexton can be the archetypical stand off. If he couldn't he wouldn't be let within a million miles of the Top 14 given the nature of the game there. He's shown it for both Leinster and Ireland in big games and hes getting better at it all the time. I think he has learned a fair bit from ROG about it.

Also what do you mean it's chalk and cheese? The only way to be a top class fly half is to be capable of controlling games with and without possession. Sexton is the NHs best example of a 10 who can mix the two imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

When Sexton's kicking form drops (like most kickers at some point) ROG will be the first person he talks to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well that brings up another question. Does a good player make a good coach? I'm fairly undecided on that. I think it takes a particular attitude to be a good coach, not just skills. For example, a lot of people are sold on the fact BOD will make a good backs coach, but for me I'm not sure he would...

Buer is right...analysis & communication are more important than talent. An instinctive knowledge of rugby would help too... "a good rugby brain", so to speak. It's why I think Foley will be a great coach...someone like Heaslip too.

It actually might be harder for someone like BOD, who has so much natural talent to be able to get things across to the less-talented. But his role in organising defensive lines for Leinster & Ireland, plus his astuteness mean I think he has what it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Does this new indicate that ROG and Sexton actually have a really good working relationship?

I'd always presumed that the sort of noises and images coming out were for show more than anything, but surely Sexton would have been consulted in this decision and must have given it his ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

How do even know they'll be working together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Well if he's a kicking coach one would presume they'll have some interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

19543261 wrote: »
    How do even know they'll be working together?

'
    'But I am hugely excited about the prospect and looking forward to the new challenge. I will be working mainly with their first team and will also look after the half backs at all age levels. "I will also be working with Racing's Academy and that excites me because I need to understand principles of coaching the younger aged."

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/21203.php#.UZdyTa4jsYs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Where will BOD find time to be a coach when hes running for president :D

Also I presume as kicking coach, he wont just be working with Jonny, surely fullbacks and wings will benefit from him being there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Have I missed something or is this the first official confirmation that ROG has retired?

That being the case I want to congratulate him on his retirement and on a brillant career. He may not always have been my favourite player in the early days but he has become one of Irelands best out halfs and has been a key member of the so called Golden Generation. Good luck to him in France and great to seeing him staying involved in rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Will we now see the camera pan to ROG every time Sexton nails a kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

I thought Sexton played unbelievable last night living off 35% possession and deserved to be Motm.
    I can think of no Irish player who is mentally tougher than o gara and hopefully this will translate into coaching talent.I also believe his French is good.
    I suspect racing metro have a massive coaching team-I would love to have o gara in my corner if I was a oh in a new country..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭gOst

Obviously the club rivalry and competition for the Ireland jersey being the main source of tension, was there a particular reason or incident that caused the rivalry to be so spiteful between these two early on?

The only really niggly thing I can recall happening was JS screaming into ROG's face after Leinster scoring a try.

Was there any media slagging between the two or is most of this "they hate each other" simply supporters exaggerating a healthy competitive rivalry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Think most of the supposed tension came from that semifinal.

Sexton:
    “We’ve developed a really good friendship over the last few years.
    "Obviously we didn’t get off on the best note, but we’ve had a really strong relationship and I really look forward to working with him.”

Think it started with some of the older munster lads trying to get to Sexton when he came on, escalated when Sexton screamed in ROG's face after the try.

Think most of the supposed tension came from that semifinal.

Sexton:
    “We’ve developed a really good friendship over the last few years.
    "Obviously we didn’t get off on the best note, but we’ve had a really strong relationship and I really look forward to working with him.”

Think it started with some of the older munster lads trying to get to Sexton when he came on, escalated when Sexton screamed in ROG's face after the try.

In what way exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

I wouldn't have any worries about O'Gara and Sexton working together. O'Gara's job will be to help the players he's working with and help bring success to Racing. I'm sure he'll approach it with the same 100% dedication and professionalism that he brought to his playing career.

On the idea that O'Gara has nothing to teach Sexton: Everyone needs a coach. All top athletes, especially in individual sports such as sprinting, and boxing, have a coach. You need an external person to help with motivation, provide feedback, criticism, etc. At the highest level, the vast majority of coaches are not as good as the people they coach, but it doesn't stop them from contributing.

Edit: (Acknowledging that O'Gara was one of the all time greats, and is still a very good player, but I think it is agreed he is passed his best, whereas Sexton is still in his prime).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

trouttrout wrote: »
    In what way exactly?

You don't really need that explained do you? :confused:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You don't really need that explained do you? :confused:

Targeted in what way though, off the ball? Genuinely can't remember the game

the usual way a team targets an young inexperienced outhalf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sledging

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

gOst wrote: »
    Obviously the club rivalry and competition for the Ireland jersey being the main source of tension, was there a particular reason or incident that caused the rivalry to be so spiteful between these two early on?

The only really niggly thing I can recall happening was JS screaming into ROG's face after Leinster scoring a try.

Was there any media slagging between the two or is most of this "they hate each other" simply supporters exaggerating a healthy competitive rivalry?

ROG gave Sexton a serious amount of in game sledging early in his career culminating in the Sexton post try reaction in the Croke Park victory.

Since that I think a lot of the more recent perceived tension come down to ROG's dealings with the media when he lost his spot and the conclusion many drew that Sexton couldn't like the way he was being spoken about by ROG. As DOC said in an interview I'm sure the players around ROG get used to his reactions so his comments were probably water off a ducks back to Sexton but fans read more into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

ROG on Sky re Sexton: "our relationship has come full circle" "in camp, myself and Johny would usually head off for lunch together" :P

ROG on Sky "There isn't much coaching left in Jonny", suggesting a hands-off approach at Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Am loving ROG as a pundit on SKY- priceless stuff
    on Johnny wilkinson : "He has prob done 3 hours practice already today, maybe not the best role model for young kickers out there"* :pac:

*paraphrased

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

How is ROG at being a pundit lads? I have the poverty channels all the time :(

How is ROG at being a pundit lads? I have the poverty channels all the time :(

you can tell he is new to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

He's not said too much so far but he seems pretty laid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Think ROG is doing grand. Bod was a bit ropey his first time on sky. Rog is doing ok and will get used to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

lologram wrote: »
    Think ROG is doing grand. Bod was a bit ropey his first time on sky. Rog is doing ok and will get used to it

bod was $hitin himself at the big screen. Thought Rog did well there

no one does the touch screen better than will greenwood.

Advertisement