Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On a brighter note, it really is a good reflection on Irish rugby that our current and past starting 10 have leaded jobs at a European powerhouse.

They're currently nothing more than a team with an aristocratic and flamboyant history who've a **** load of money to spend. Far from what I'd call a European powerhouse (especially given this years at times pathetic performances). I expect a big improvement next year given the players they're bringing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They're currently nothing more than a team with an aristocratic and flamboyant history who've a **** load of money to spend. Far from what I'd call a European powerhouse (especially given this years at times pathetic performances). I expect a big improvement next year given the players they're bringing in.

... and the coaching staff ;)

(Labit & Travers are highly rated)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If you mean at the end of 'Jedi' when Luke has surpassed Vader, then yes, it's like that.

Lads, ROG is not going to be coaching Sexton next year.

A kicking coach is still a coach... it's someone who works with you to help you improve in any way you possibly can. I'd imagine a lot of great kickers are/were better than the people coaching them, but that doesn't mean they didn't have coaches.

Everyone goes through blips after all... both Sexton and ROG have had shaky times with the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is nothing O'Gara could teach Sexton about kicking that Sexton couldn't just write down on flashcards to remind himself of when needed.

No doubt Ronan will be informative to the youth teams but Sexton is already a stronger all round player and string puller than Ronan ever was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Regardless of our opinions on ROG, if he goes over there and makes something of himself as a coach it can only be beneficial for Irish rugby in the long term.

It is kinda hilarious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There is nothing O'Gara could teach Sexton about kicking that Sexton couldn't just write down on flashcards to remind himself of when needed.

No doubt Ronan will be informative to the youth teams but Sexton is already a stronger all round player and string puller than Ronan ever was

Then kicking coaches the world over should be retired tomorrow by that logic..

What your saying there at the bottom could lead to WW3 on this forum and ROG's playing ability has nothing to do with O'Garas possible coaching ability .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's a pity this turned into a bit of a Sexton V ROG debate. Both players have a mutual respect for each other.

ROG will always have something to teach any kicker not only different styles but the far more important mental edge that every great kicked needs. Whoever he ends up coaching next year, whether it is the the kids or the senior team has themselves a great coach tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think it's a great reflection on both players that this sort of arrangement can even be contemplated. It's unlikely ROG will have much if any input into Sexton's routine, but the fact both are at the same club working together at least in some fashion reflects well on both of them.

Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well it's not a joke, as I first thought yesterday! How will Sexton and O'Gara rub along together in Racing? There were lots of rumours about them not getting on in the past, but that is actually none of our business....my gut feeling is that Sexton would not be too bothered bothered, and might actually be happy to have O'Gara in Paris. It is a good reflection on Irish rugby that the two of them have been snapped up by Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well it's not a joke, as I first thought yesterday! How will Sexton and O'Gara rub along together in Racing? There were lots of rumours about them not getting on in the past, but that is actually none of our business....my gut feeling is that Sexton would not be too bothered bothered, and might actually be happy to have O'Gara in Paris. It is a good reflection on Irish rugby that the two of them have been snapped up by Racing.

The truth here is very few know how well they get on. Fair enough Sexton had a go at him a few years ago but I have seen both of them on their own practising kicking in international weeks. They would have to build some sort of friendship in these hours alone.

ROG might not be everyone's cup of tea and same for Sexton but look at it this way Racing are making Jonny the highest paid player in France of course they are going to consult him on a kicking coach especially one he knows so well and really ROG is hardly going to start his coaching career with a player he hates. It could ruin his career before it starts. They obviously have built a good relationship and feel they will work well together.

Best of luck to both once ROG doesn't pinch him in two years when both could be potentially returning to these shores.

The truth here is very few know how well they get on. Fair enough Sexton had a go at him a few years ago but I have seen both of them on their own practising kicking in international weeks. They would have to build some sort of friendship in these hours alone.

ROG might not be everyone's cup of tea and same for Sexton but look at it this way Racing are making Jonny the highest paid player in France of course they are going to consult him on a kicking coach especially one he knows so well and really ROG is hardly going to start his coaching career with a player he hates. It could ruin his career before it starts. They obviously have built a good relationship and feel they will work well together.

Best of luck to both once ROG doesn't pinch him in two years when both could be potentially returning to these shores.

Agree with all of this. I know ROG made it clear that he wants to get in to coaching. Funny enough, just listening to his interviews etc over the years, he would not have struck me as a coach in the making. Hope it goes well for him - he has served Irish rugby well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Some are saying that Sexton recommended ROG as a coach.

Now this made me laugh :)

Lelantos wrote: »
    Now this made me laugh :)

....you never know, and we probably never will.

vienne86 wrote: »
    ....you never know, and we probably never will.

It was more about the positioning of the post, certain posters were wondering what Rog could possibly teach Sexton, that post may have caused some apoplectic reactions ;)

Cloty wrote: »
    Might it be possible for the frogs to tempt O'Gara out of retirement to finally finish off Jonny's education in game management. An area he never mastered for Ireland a la O'Gara

Not a chance . ROG will get about a million back in tax from the Irish government for finishing his playing career here, he won't want to hand that back so no he won't be playing.

The rest of your post is trolling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What does this mean?

Cloty wrote: »
    Might it be possible for the frogs to tempt O'Gara out of retirement to finally finish off Jonny's education in game management. An area he never mastered for Ireland a la O'Gara

No way!

What does this mean?

Both signed two year deals with Racing. ROG could return to form an old school back room team under Axel at Munster I hope he doesn't encourage Sexton to wear a red jersey instead of coming back to Leinster. Bit of a joke at end of my post but could make sense if Munster need a 10 and Leinster have Madigan and Ulster have PJ. Anyway that's two years away.

• Advertisement

Both signed two year deals with Racing. ROG could return to form an old school back room team under Axel at Munster I hope he doesn't encourage Sexton to wear a red jersey instead of coming back to Leinster. Bit of a joke at end of my post but could make sense if Munster need a 10 and Leinster have Madigan and Ulster have PJ. Anyway that's two years away.
    In 2 years time, Mads will be Leinsters outhalf of choice, he may even be Ireland's choice, couldn't see him being happy with Sextons return, don't think Leinster will need Sexton back by then, so in all probability, if Sexton wants to return to Ireland in the future, it most likely would be to Munster.

Lelantos wrote: »
    In 2 years time, Mads will be Leinsters outhalf of choice, he may even be Ireland's choice, couldn't see him being happy with Sextons return, don't think Leinster will need Sexton back by then, so in all probability, if Sexton wants to return to Ireland in the future, it most likely would be to Munster.

Could say the same about Keatley or JJ at Munster.

Anyway it was in jest my main point was the pair obviously get on and media and posters here are trying to make out there will be some sort of tensions. It just wouldn't make sense for ROG to start a career under those circumstances and wouldn't make sense for Racing to spend so much on JS and then bring in a coach he dislikes so obviously they get on well, work well together and hopefully both still have loads to offer Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Nothing brings out the crazies round here like a good old fashioned ROG/Sexton debate.......

And they're not even in direct competition any more, it's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why is what people are saying crazy?

If someone suggested this turn of events last weekend they would have been called crazy but its happened anyway. Why shouldnt there be speculation about further outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

According to this mornings Indo newstalk are broadcasting an interview with Sexton in which he fully endorses ROGs appointment. Sexton is a smart professional rugby player who knows that a) public image is everything and b) ROG has an amazing rugby brain who he can learn so much from.

Article also mentioned that in recent times their relationship has noticibly improved over the last year or so.

I hope Sexton sees it as an opportunity to develop his game and that Rog gets good experience as he begins his coaching career.

Its a great opportunity for both and I wish them both every success. They have both been fantastic servants to their provinces and country.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ROG/Sexton crap aside, I honestly don't think there's much Sexton could actually learn from ROG. Before people start jumping out of their seats, let me explain - ROG is known for his dead-eye kicking, but in recent years Sexton is no slouch at it either. Is ROG better at it than Sexton? I'm not entirely sure. However, none of this should really come into it. If ROG was there to teach Sexton how to improve his tactical kicking, well, that would defeat the entire purpose of signing Sexton in the first place. You want him because he's not the stand-off archetype tactical kicker that ROG is/was. It's chalk and cheese, and you don't want to mix the two.

However, ROG will make an absolutely fantastic kicking coach for the other younger players at the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not sure about that theory that Sexton would think he knows it all now .ak - saw this last week in an article about Dave Alred the kicking coach.

He is unsure whether or not his work with Sexton will continue beyond this summer, with the Leinster man likely to be the Lions' Test out-half in Australia before beginning a new career with Racing Metro in Paris.

"I suspect Jonny would like us to continue," he says. "Unlike a golfer, though, who has absolute control as the employer, there's a third party who must make that decision. But we'll see."

Interesting article on what a kicking coach does do.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/brutal-practice-session-at-harringtons-home-really-helped-sexton-29271147.html

According to a poster on Munsterfans (from ROG's article in the Examiner today):
    At Racing Metro, from July he will be on the coaching staff for the first team, half backs at all age levels and the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ROG will be working with the Espoirs mostly and will be providing kicking coaching to the senior panel also. Sexton will only be a fraction of those he will work with. I would think his signing will be much more to do with the wider group than Sexton. I reckon his remit will be broader than we know; few club sides have dedicated kicking coaches. It's mostly done in conjunction with other duties or on a consultancy basis.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    ROG/Sexton crap aside, I honestly don't think there's much Sexton could actually learn from ROG. Before people start jumping out of their seats, let me explain - ROG is known for his dead-eye kicking, but in recent years Sexton is no slouch at it either. Is ROG better at it than Sexton? I'm not entirely sure. However, none of this should really come into it. If ROG was there to teach Sexton how to improve his tactical kicking, well, that would defeat the entire purpose of signing Sexton in the first place. You want him because he's not the stand-off archetype tactical kicker that ROG is/was. It's chalk and cheese, and you don't want to mix the two.

However, ROG will make an absolutely fantastic kicking coach for the other younger players at the squad.

Again, I disagree. Obviously we don't actually know how good a coach ROG will be.....but most teams do have some sort of kicking coach, even for top class kickers. I can almost guarantee that ROG was a better kicker than the majority of kicking coaches he has had in his career...he still had them though.

Obviously his main work will be with the youth teams, where I think his role extends beyond just kicking?

Advertisement