Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2013

Options
  • 10-05-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

This year's Cadetship Competition just opened.

It will be my second time applying. Got as far as the interview last year. Not sure how many places this year, but assuming 20-30 for the Army.

Good luck to all.

http://www.military.ie/careers/online-applications

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

NB, Closing date sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just finished my degree last year and a postgrad this year, I've always felt my heart wanted to be in the defence Forces, think I will apply for the air corps and see how it goes. I would also like to apply for either the army/navy, can you apply for 2 sections of the df?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Equitation, thats the place to be, looks to me like they spend a fair amount of time in the air.

http://www.military.ie/education-hq/equitation-school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This may be of interest for anyone considering applying.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFnYo4r4OE&list=UUjfwRSvcaGpInbj888JycaA&index=1

Watched that earlier, doesnt show much! ive applied anyway. been talking to one or two guys in the navy cadets this year and they love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Just finished my degree last year and a postgrad this year, I've always felt my heart wanted to be in the defence Forces, think I will apply for the air corps and see how it goes. I would also like to apply for either the army/navy, can you apply for 2 sections of the df?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 MickJB1989

I note they've kept the laser eye surgery restriction. Anyone have any idea why, given that the UK accept it, and the USA will pay for it to be done?

Even if there is an operational justification, it seems a bit far fetched that it would cause a risk for equestrian candidates.

On another note, given the closing date for applications, do we think those lucky enough to get to the next stage will be invited to the curragh in June, or not until July?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Does anyone know if you can apply for a more than one cadetship i.e army and naval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

dunnerc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can apply for a more than one cadetship i.e army and naval

Yes. You can apply for all of them. But you can only accept one.

thanks.

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »

I asked that question like 3 posts up dude, in fairness!

I asked that question like 3 posts up dude, in fairness!

well thanks for pointing that out to me dude;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Podge Kelly

im sitting my leaving cert this june and have had my heart set on a DF career since i was 14.
    With family members already in the army i've become more certain that this is what i want. A cadetship would be my dream but as im an 18 year old only sitting the leaving cert with no degrees yet i think its extremely unlikely i'll be considered... is there any ways to better my chances for consideration? other then do a record fitness test haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

im sitting my leaving cert this june and have had my heart set on a DF career since i was 14.
    With family members already in the army i've become more certain that this is what i want. A cadetship would be my dream but as im an 18 year old only sitting the leaving cert with no degrees yet i think its extremely unlikely i'll be considered... is there any ways to better my chances for consideration? other then do a record fitness test haha

Are you fluent in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mac 21

let the competition begin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Max Manus

Yes let it begin indeed. I couln't apply the last couple of years because I hadn't a third language. Now I have a degree which doesn't require that condition. Going to apply tonight, can't wait. Best of luck to all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Popular Hardback

Fluent in Irish, excellent results in all subjects, and under 21's county football or equivalent in athletics and overall sporting and academic excellence will take you as far as any degree. Ideally they like to mold candidates first, and then send them off for a degree of the army's choosing. Getting the degree / masters first is not always the best way to get in. Sporting and community achievements and academic results at whatever level you are at, are more important. If you're a genuine contender and have the 'x-factor' in their eyes, you have just as good a chance without a degree as with, as youth and "mold-ability" will be on your side. If you're lacking the sporting and academic 'x-factor' without a degree, you won't get in with one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KVA115

Does anyone have a breakdown of the number they're taking in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

does anyone know when the psychometric testing will take place, and also the assessment day/(s)?

Fluent in Irish, excellent results in all subjects, and under 21's county football or equivalent in athletics and overall sporting and academic excellence will take you as far as any degree. Ideally they like to mold candidates first, and then send them off for a degree of the army's choosing. Getting the degree / masters first is not always the best way to get in. Sporting and community achievements and academic results at whatever level you are at, are more important. If you're a genuine contender and have the 'x-factor' in their eyes, you have just as good a chance without a degree as with, as youth and "mold-ability" will be on your side. If you're lacking the sporting and academic 'x-factor' without a degree, you won't get in with one either.

I'm sure with all that they would prefer someone who is in their later years rather than soemone straight out of school. Afterall, officers command some guys their father's age and a bit of maturity will go a long way.

• Advertisement

Max Manus wrote: »
    I'm sure with all that they would prefer someone who is in their later years rather than soemone straight out of school. Afterall, officers command some guys their father's age and a bit of maturity will go a long way.

Going by Cadet intakes year after year, no. A high proportion of the intake are people with just a leaving cert. It's about the x-factor in terms of sporting, leadership and academic ability far more so than age. In fact the younger you can demonstrate that the better. As I said, if you don't have that x-factor and you're not an exceptional achiever by 18 in comparison to you peers, obtaining a degree won't change that. Degrees are great and you'll be sent on for one if you don't have one, but they are also ten a penny.

Going by Cadet intakes year after year, no. A high proportion of the intake are people with just a leaving cert. It's about the x-factor in terms of sporting, leadership and academic ability far more so than age. In fact the younger you can demonstrate that the better. As I said, if you don't have that x-factor and you're not an exceptional achiever by 18 in comparison to you peers, obtaining a degree won't change that. Degrees are great and you'll be sent on for one if you don't have one, but they are also ten a penny.

Depends which degrees you're referring to and by the way your wrong. All candidates with a third level degree get a 10 per cent bonus mark of their final marks so what does that tell you about the candidates they're looking for?

Depends which degrees you're referring to and by the way your wrong. All candidates with a third level degree get a 10 per cent bonus mark of their final marks so what does that tell you about the candidates they're looking for?

Can you explain why many of the successful candidates, year after year, are 18/19 with no degree ? Surely, given all the degree candidates that apply, no one without a degree should in theory have a chance ?

As I said, the candidate that would not get in at age 18 without a degree, is not likely to have the x factor needed to get in with a degree. You have to look far beyond a degree in terms of superior ability and achievement above your peers. That's what really counts.

Can you explain why many of the successful candidates, year after year, are 18/19 with no degree ? Surely, given all the degree candidates that apply, no one without a degree should in theory have a chance ?

As I said, the candidate that would not get in at age 18 without a degree, is not likely to have the x factor needed to get in with a degree. You have to look far beyond a degree in terms of superior ability and achievement above your peers. That's what really counts.

Not necessarily true, four years at university can do a lot to change a person's outlook on life, not to mention abilities. Personally, I became a lot more interested in sports and physical fitness at uni compared to school. The opportunities once a person gets out into the world can open their eyes to new talents and interests.

Now, if you were to dispute the value of some degrees, and perhaps some institutions, compared to others that would be another kettle of fish. If a junior county player goes to a rubbish uni, and/ or does a Micky mouse degree, then they'd have been as well applying from school, but most 17/18 year olds aren't junior county players ;)

I'm assuming leadership ability is what you mean by x factor. A guy may have plenty of 'x factor' but he may not have the education to make the cut. Leadership ability goes much further than being the 'captain of the your local football team'. It a combination of many factors. Have you considered that the majority of those who want to be cadets are those straight out of school and not graduates? Graduates are afforded far more opportunities than school leavers and this might explain your statistical analysis.

MickJB1989 wrote: »
    most 17/18 year olds aren't junior county players ;)

That's the point, the vast vast majority of qualifying applicants to the cadets don't get in. You have to be head and shoulders above your peers in every possible respect, it doesn't matter if you're 18 or 22.
    I'm assuming leadership ability is what you mean by x factor. A guy may have plenty of 'x factor' but he may not have the education to make the cut. Leadership ability goes much further than being the 'captain of the your local football team'. It a combination of many factors. Have you considered that the majority of those who want to be cadets are those straight out of school and not graduates? Graduates are afforded far more opportunities than school leavers and this might explain your statistical analysis.

The 'x-factor' is a lot more than leadership skills, that's only one aspect. I'm not joking here when I say if you have to ask what it is, you don't have it.

Good luck to all in the competition.

Anyone have any idea what the fitness test is like? I heard a rumour that you score more points if can do more push ups?

Anyone have any idea what the fitness test is like? I heard a rumour that you score more points if can do more push ups?

It's in the terms and conditions. Same as usual, which off the top of my head is 11.40 (male) time for 1.5 mile run, and 20 push ups and sit ups in either 1 or 2 minutes. Not particularly challenging really, although I believe they are simply pass/ fail tests, no extra points for excellence (though I imagine it may not go unnoticed!)

MickJB1989 wrote: »
    It's in the terms and conditions. Same as usual, which off the top of my head is 11.40 (male) time for 1.5 mile run, and 20 push ups and sit ups in either 1 or 2 minutes. Not particularly challenging really, although I believe they are simply pass/ fail tests, no extra points for excellence (though I imagine it may not go unnoticed!)

Is there a youtube video showing the test? It's not gona be much of a bother to me cause I ran an ultramarathon before, it was p.iss easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Miceail22

Is there a youtube video showing the test? It's not gona be much of a bother to me cause I ran an ultramarathon before, it was p.iss easy.

Carrying shorts, t shirt and a pair of runners, you animal.

Advertisement