Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I am not disagreeing with anything you have said above Morpheus.

I'm just saying that the present standards would be easily met by someone in their late 40s who "looks after himself".

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

is it a fail if your feet come off the ground doing sit ups or just that particular one doesnt count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

tomato1988 wrote: »
    is it a fail if your feet come off the ground doing sit ups or just that particular one doesnt count?

Just that particular one doesn't count. And here's a tip: you'll be lying on a mat, so place your feet just off the mat with your heels up against the edge of it to give you a little bit of resistance. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 choppy1988

Did anyone get the email about the online tests?

They give you a link to do the practice one's. Any idea when the proper one will be done?

Finding them a bit more difficult than I thought, not the usual kind of thing I'd be doing. I may get practising.

Also I have a friend who is an officer, he said he didn't have to do the online one before. But he did say he did a prep course for the proper one. There doesn't seem to be any online, how would one go about getting through the online one and then doing a prep course for the live one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Max Manus

choppy1988 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the email about the online tests?

They give you a link to do the practice one's. Any idea when the proper one will be done?

Finding them a bit more difficult than I thought, not the usual kind of thing I'd be doing. I may get practising.

Also I have a friend who is an officer, he said he didn't have to do the online one before. But he did say he did a prep course for the proper one. There doesn't seem to be any online, how would one go about getting through the online one and then doing a prep course for the live one?

They said in the email that you will not get information regarding the official test until Monday, the 27th of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Got an email for the fitness test in Baldonnel today at 9am on june 4th. gonne be an early start from Cork :o

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Got an email for the fitness test in Baldonnel today at 9am on june 4th. gonne be an early start from Cork :o

SERIOUS!! I had no Idea they would be so soon, is this the expected timeframe? I assumed we'd do the Pyscometric testing first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dont be a mad man, go up the day before, have a B&B booked and enjoy a cushty dinner and quiet evening beforehand. If you've got one shot, be nice and ready for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 LordHaughHaugh

Will there be a pacer in the run?

Will there be a pacer in the run?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 LordHaughHaugh

No.

So whats the best thing to do, just run as fast as you can?

So whats the best thing to do, just run as fast as you can?

Well you'll have to pace yourself somewhat. If you're not a serious runner, don't go sprinting off at the start and be wrecked in no time. You'll just have to measure out 1.5 miles somewhere and practice a few runs. You'll should be able to judge your pace then.

And bring a stopwatch. Towards the end, you see the finish line and it's good to have an idea of your time so you know if you have to push yourself to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Would it be useful/recommended to do a prep course for the psychometric tests? If so, can anyone recommend one?

I don't know if it's too late but if you haven't sat the tests already then give these lads a shout http://www.kctraining.ie/index.htm.

I used them ahead of the tests and ranked very highly (I was specifically given my ranking in the email inviting me to the next stage, this may not still be the case) which made a difference for the rest of the competition.

discus wrote: »
    Dont be a mad man, go up the day before, have a B&B booked and enjoy a cushty dinner and quiet evening beforehand. If you've got one shot, be nice and ready for it.

Im fit as a fiddle anyway so Ill be fine. Only thing Im worried about is the sit ups technique. Can you definitely use the edge of the mat?!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Anybody who's done the practice ones and the written ones last year reckon they're much different?

Im fit as a fiddle anyway so Ill be fine. Only thing Im worried about is the sit ups technique. Can you definitely use the edge of the mat?!

Yeah using the edge of the mat is fine...actually it'll probably be recommended by whoever's supervising your test. They're always very nice and helpful.

EDIT: Just to add, the use of the edge of the mat is somewhat helpful but it's not a magic fix. Keep practicing and make sure you're able to do them without any help.

Thanks Chief. I do core all the time in the gym but these I'm finding tough for some reason :pac:

did anyone get an email yet today about the aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Still waiting for that email. Will contact them tomorrow if I don't have it by then though.

no email here either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

I got my email for my fitness test, 4th of June, should really have started training a long time ago, only gave up the cigarettes few days ago. Really worried I'm not gonna pass it, only exercise I do is 3k walk bout 5 times a week.....

colm911 wrote: »
    I got my email for my fitness test, 4th of June, should really have started training a long time ago, only gave up the cigarettes few days ago. Really worried I'm not gonna pass it, only exercise I do is 3k walk bout 5 times a week.....

is that for the air corps?

is that for the air corps?

It's the cadetship 2013

It's the cadetship 2013

which part of the defence forces though?

which part of the defence forces though?

Sorry, misunderstood what you were asking, air Corps is who I received the email from. Also received one from the navy. Why?

Sorry, misunderstood what you were asking, air Corps is who I received the email from. Also received one from the navy. Why?

i applied for the army and thought you might have been talking about their fitness test being on the 4th. Good Luck

i applied for the army and thought you might have been talking about their fitness test being on the 4th. Good Luck

Thanks, same to you

Thanks, same to you

What is the screening process on applications cause I haven't got a third level degree, just the leaving cert requirements.

I applied for all 3 about 10days ago. Nothing back from the Army. Got email from the Navy about 8 days ago about an online test that they were supposed to email yesterday but never got it. Got an email from the Air Corps last week about the fitness test on the 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kkilbane20

What is the screening process on applications cause I haven't got a third level degree, just the leaving cert requirements.

the application gets accepted as long as you meet all the requirements, the rest after that is just character etc. I only have the LC requirements too, no degree. you get something like 10% bonus to your interview score for having a degree but you can get other bonus marks for being in the reserves or doing the irish interview(and passing it)

Advertisement