Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TwentiethCent

Be interesting to find out if many cut so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Starknife

Hi I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has completed the next stage after the psychometric testing and has any information as to what the next stage is like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

Anyone get called for the psychometric test for the navy, I just got my email yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yes, got my emails for navy and army Thursday. Back up to Dublin on 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

Does anyone know anything about this next psychometric test?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yes, you're put into a room with the rest of your syndicate. You will recieve a briefing from a Colonel, who will explain the rules and timings of the upcoming test. From there, you'll get changed out of your suit (don't wear jeans) and into a canvas 1 piece. From there the Colonel will open the door into the next area, and when the buzzer sounds you'll run straight through.

Approximately 100m from the door you will see a spread of weapons, crossbows, bows, knives etc. Each one is paired with a chicken, only each chicken does not have a head. You need to lead your chicken to safety, whilst at the same time try to kill off your opponents chickens. You'll fight across the killing/fighting chicken zone to a door on the far side. All candidates who've successfully had the mental wit to bring in their chicken alive pass on to the Interview stage at the Curragh some time in the near future, whilst those who let their chickens die hand the carcasses back to the Colonel, who'll then return to the KFC zone for rendering.

Best of luck gentlemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

discus wrote: »
    Yes, you're put into a room with the rest of your syndicate. You will recieve a briefing from a Colonel, who will explain the rules and timings of the upcoming test. From there, you'll get changed out of your suit (don't wear jeans) and into a canvas 1 piece. From there the Colonel will open the door into the next area, and when the buzzer sounds you'll run straight through.

Approximately 100m from the door you will see a spread of weapons, crossbows, bows, knives etc. Each one is paired with a chicken, only each chicken does not have a head. You need to lead your chicken to safety, whilst at the same time try to kill off your opponents chickens. You'll fight across the killing/fighting chicken zone to a door on the far side. All candidates who've successfully had the mental wit to bring in their chicken alive pass on to the Interview stage at the Curragh some time in the near future, whilst those who let their chickens die hand the carcasses back to the Colonel, who'll then return to the KFC zone for rendering.

Best of luck gentlemen.

That's nonsense. Everyone knows the one piece is Linen, not Canvas. This isn't the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 target shooter 13

Seriously though, should you wear a suit or what? Don't want to waste a journey up to Dublin from Sligo just for wearing jeans :/ Another LC student here by the way.

Seriously though, should you wear a suit or what? Don't want to waste a journey up to Dublin from Sligo just for wearing jeans :/ Another LC student here by the way.

thats what I was wondering aswell. suppose its better to be overdressed than underdressed

It's better to overthink it than underthink it.

A lot of you won't have much experience when it comes to dealing with commissioned officers, so the utterly essence Gnr Discus is gonna talk you all through the interview stage when the time comes. In the meantime, you're all to go buy chinos, standard blue shirt, brown tie and brown loafers or brogs, and make you you can list three types of gins.

edit: I want phots of these chinos for inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I don't know about the easy life that Discus's candidates seem to have with chickens and so on, but when the son of a pal of mine went to sit HIS test he was put in a large open room, and given a box containing two disassembled typewriters of different makes, an oven glove and a pair of welder's goggles.

After being instructed to don the welder's goggles, put on one oven glove [either hand, but he must not change it thereafter] he was given twenty minutes to re-assemble the two typewriters and type out the first five pages of the Irish constitution in any language except Irish or English. While he was doing this, another member of the DS was walking around firing random shots from a 12 gauge shotgun, and asking questions about four different South American economies. Again, responses to these questions had to be in any language except Irish or English. The passmark was 95%. Any type of clothing was acceptable, BTW.

tac

Now that is a psychometric test... not being given any sort of instruction with regard to clothing. I'd say many didn't turn up at the thought of committing some sort of fashion faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ronsonmac

No need to wear a suit for psychometric testing, in fact the only stage of the induction phase for which a suit is necessary is the interview. I was wondering myself if anyone has heard what the verification psychometric tests will consist of? Will they be the exact same tests? Will they be administered electronically or is it pen and paper? Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

From My experiences, I made it to the medical stage when I was 17 and in LC im am now a member of the Defence Forces although not an officer, Buy a pair of chinos or slacks as Discus said a neat blue shirt a dark coloured tie and a pair of brown loafers, ;) believe me you'll thank me for it if you pass.

Ronsonmac wrote: »
    No need to wear a suit for psychometric testing, in fact the only stage of the induction phase for which a suit is necessary is the interview. I was wondering myself if anyone has heard what the verification psychometric tests will consist of? Will they be the exact same tests? Will they be administered electronically or is it pen and paper? Any ideas?

Pen and paper, no they will be different. but same principals. although there will also be a job stimulation section just answer what you would do in the Situation. No suit until interview but dress smart as me and discuss said, no rocking up wearing trackies and white runners.

Ah lads, don't actually be worrying too much about what exactly you wear, just make sure it's smart. Gnr Discus has all the degrees and chinos in the world and he still - just about - loads shells into tubes and operates a lever.

Pen and paper, no they will be different. but same principals. although there will also be a job stimulation section just answer what you would do in the Situation. No suit until interview but dress smart as me and discuss said, no rocking up wearing trackies and white runners.

Are you assuming that their gonna just give the same psychometric tests as they gave in the past or have you some confirmed info that I don't. Strange If their looking to verify your performance in the online tests by giving you a completely different test, the written numerical tests in the past have been all based on calculations of percentages and ratios which you use a calculator to work out, the online tests required no calculation and answers were found by just looking at the information. Also in the past you would receive detailed information about the 3 written tests with sample questions and directions on how to fill in your answer book properly, none of which has been sent and the tests are next week?
    I would think given the new online format that was used this year there may well be something different given to us at the next stage.

Are you assuming that their gonna just give the same psychometric tests as they gave in the past or have you some confirmed info that I don't. Strange If their looking to verify your performance in the online tests by giving you a completely different test, the written numerical tests in the past have been all based on calculations of percentages and ratios which you use a calculator to work out, the online tests required no calculation and answers were found by just looking at the information. Also in the past you would receive detailed information about the 3 written tests with sample questions and directions on how to fill in your answer book properly, none of which has been sent and the tests are next week?
    I would think given the new online format that was used this year there may well be something different given to us at the next stage.

Maybe im not in recruitment, but cant see the point in changing test

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Anyone know exactly where the test centre is? Is it just beside jervis shopping centre?

No need to wear a suit for psychometric testing, in fact the only stage of the induction phase for which a suit is necessary is the interview. I was wondering myself if anyone has heard what the verification psychometric tests will consist of? Will they be the exact same tests? Will they be administered electronically or is it pen and paper? Any ideas?[/QUOTE/]
    As far as I know its the same test, the same amount of time is been given as the online one and I'm pretty sure It's a just 'verification' of the one we did at home... you know to filter out cheats and the like :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No need to wear a suit for psychometric testing, in fact the only stage of the induction phase for which a suit is necessary is the interview. I was wondering myself if anyone has heard what the verification psychometric tests will consist of? Will they be the exact same tests? Will they be administered electronically or is it pen and paper? Any ideas?[/QUOTE/]
    As far as I know its the same test, the same amount of time is been given as the online one and I'm pretty sure It's a just 'verification' of the one we did at home... you know to filter out cheats and the like :rolleyes:

I asked an Lt Col about dresscode for this and he said wearing a suit would do no harm. A lot of people will probably be coming straight from work and will be wearing suits/ business casual

Listen lads and ladies, wear something dressy, doesn't have to be a suit but look smart for god sake not like you just walked in from drinking bucky in the park.

might go for a shirt black shoes and suit trousers then :confused:

might go for a shirt black shoes and suit trousers then :confused:

that's a good choice. clean shave and a good haircut, look the part.

that's a good choice. clean shave and a good haircut, look the part.

Thanks, I suppose it is a respectable job so you should dress accordingly :) bit of a no brainer now that i think about it :o

It's a good idea to remove all metalwork from nose, lips, eyebrows, privy parts, too, if you have such items installed there. Earrings will NOT make a good impression, unless you are a lumpy-top, and then studs only please.

I recall with great glee being orderly officer one night on one of my rare visits to our depot, where the Guard Commander had written on the inspection board -

Name of offender - XYX Pte Gleep A O
    Sentence - Show Parade @hourly intervals until 0630
    Charged with/Offence - having ears pierced, contrary to Section 69 of the Army Act
    Action - Show ears unpierced.

It is also a good idea to appear in clothing appropriate to the sex noted on your birth registration document. I'm sure that there ARE transvestites in the Armed Forces, but appearing for your initial test wearing a frock [if male] - however nice you might think it is - will not win you points.

Just offering a little advice that might help out the odd tri-sexual necrophiliac - today's armed forces having fully embraced the equal opportunity ethos.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

tac foley wrote: »
    It's a good idea to remove all metalwork from nose, lips, eyebrows, privy parts, too, if you have such items installed there. Earrings will NOT make a good impression, unless you are a lumpy-top, and then studs only please.

I recall with great glee being orderly officer one night on one of my rare visits to our depot, where the Guard Commander had written on the inspection board -

Name of offender - XYX Pte Gleep A O
    Sentence - Show Parade @hourly intervals until 0630
    Charged with/Offence - having ears pierced, contrary to Section 69 of the Army Act
    Action - Show ears unpierced.

It is also a good idea to appear in clothing appropriate to the sex noted on your birth registration document. I'm sure that there ARE transvestites in the Armed Forces, but appearing for your initial test wearing a frock [if male] - however nice you might think it is - will not win you points.

Just offering a little advice that might help out the odd tri-sexual necrophiliac - today's armed forces having fully embraced the equal opportunity ethos.

tac

Don't tell me you seen a male in a frock at an interview?! Did he have his legs shaved at least?

Don't tell me you seen a male in a frock at an interview?! Did he have his legs shaved at least?

Sir - I have never had anything to do with the selection of other ranks or officers in my life, except for courses after they had already been in.

I have very firm and out-moded and currently unpopular views on the wearing of inappropriate clothing and body modifications, having taken full advantage of the ease with which a set of nipple rings can be removed from a gentleman who had made the mistake of imagining that because I look old, I must therefore operate old. Sadly, nobody had taken the trouble to explain to him that just getting old in MY job means that you are rather meaner than the opposition, and also that getting old makes you really kranky, and taking it out on somebody is a great healer.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - I have never had anything to do with the selection of other ranks or officers in my life, except for courses after they had already been in.

I have very firm and out-moded and currently unpopular views on the wearing of inappropriate clothing and body modifications, having taken full advantage of the ease with which a set of nipple rings can be removed from a gentleman who had made the mistake of imagining that because I look old, I must therefore operate old. Sadly, nobody had taken the trouble to explain to him that just getting old in MY job means that you are rather meaner than the opposition, and also that getting old makes you really kranky, and taking it out on somebody is a great healer.

tac

I never understood the urge a man takes to get his nipples pierced, nevermind the obvious downsides to such jewellery such as that outlined above! But then again it's not often one runs into a kranky NCO looking for healing...unless your in that line of work.

• Advertisement

I would say that there is no dress code, last thing you should be worrying about is your hair cut and what shoes your wearing. At this stage the only thing your being judged on is your performance in the tests. No one will be watching what your wearing so wear whatever clothes your gonna be comfortable in for an hour and a half while doin an exam.

Advertisement