Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just got email from the Navy, online test must be completed by 12PM this thursday coming 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

Got my email for online test today too. Going for a jog now to see how much work I have to do for fitness test. Only one week to prepare, but as they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 choppy1988

Guys, got the email for the online test today.

I did the few practice one's on my lunch and they were much harder than I had anticipated.

The proper one has to be done by Thursday at 12pm. I don't have much time to prepare as I have two jobs, so in actuality I'll barley have the time to do the proper online test.

I seem to be getting 4, sometimes 5 out of 6 questions correct on the practice one.

Any tips for the proper one with little time to prepare? Anyone know what is needed to pass it?

Before anyone says anything I know I should have prepared before now, but with working two jobs I have literally been unable to.

Im doing half the cork marathon the day before....great laugh! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

choppy1988 wrote: »
    Guys, got the email for the online test today.

I did the few practice one's on my lunch and they were much harder than I had anticipated.

The proper one has to be done by Thursday at 12pm. I don't have much time to prepare as I have two jobs, so in actuality I'll barley have the time to do the proper online test.

I seem to be getting 4, sometimes 5 out of 6 questions correct on the practice one.

Any tips for the proper one with little time to prepare? Anyone know what is needed to pass it?

Before anyone says anything I know I should have prepared before now, but with working two jobs I have literally been unable to.

I just did it there. I didnt get much practice in before. Time was the main issue, but I doubt very many people will answer all the questions. The numerical reasoning was harder than the verbal IMO, but there didnt seem to be anything overly complicated about it.

• Advertisement

tomato1988 wrote: »
    I just did it there. I didnt get much practice in before. Time was the main issue, but I doubt very many people will answer all the questions. The numerical reasoning was harder than the verbal IMO, but there didnt seem to be anything overly complicated about it.

Cheers.

So you reckon I should manage to just pull through without having much practice?

I might be able to get an hour or two reading/practice in later and then get it done tomorrow, but that's about all the prep I can get done.

The practice tests scared me a little - not trying to sound pompous but I have a Degree and a Masters and I assumed I'd fly through such tests. Just goes to show they're looking for the right people.

And yes, even the few practice one's I got done it was the time that mainly got me, very little time to think about the answer, as the obvious one might not always be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

choppy1988 wrote: »
    Cheers.

So you reckon I should manage to just pull through without having much practice?

I might be able to get an hour or two reading/practice in later and then get it done tomorrow, but that's about all the prep I can get done.

The practice tests scared me a little - not trying to sound pompous but I have a Degree and a Masters and I assumed I'd fly through such tests. Just goes to show they're looking for the right people.

And yes, even the few practice one's I got done it was the time that mainly got me, very little time to think about the answer, as the obvious one might not always be correct.

Yeah you should be fine once you know how to answer the questions (by that I mean know when to answer 'cannot say' as opposed to true or false).

I have no idea if I passed or failed because I dont know the pass %. But I am assuming not a lot of people had a huge amount of practice considering the short notice of this years competition.

Just dont get bogged down on a question, if you cant find the answer after 30-45 seconds I would say skip it, but I wouldnt listen religiously to my advice as this was my first time doing an aptitude test of this nature.

Just go in confident and you will be fine.

Good Luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 LordHaughHaugh

colm911 wrote: »
    Got my email for online test today too. Going for a jog now to see how much work I have to do for fitness test. Only one week to prepare, but as they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail......

The run is pretty tough. I practiced it today and yesterday. I'd imagine anyone who isn't big into sport will fail it very easily. It's a 7.30 minute mile pace.

Did anyone that applied for the army get the email about the online test today? i got one from the navy but not the army even though the recruitment page says both would send them out today?

edit: just saw the email is not specifically from any sector, it is for both the army and navy :o

Did anyone that applied for the army get the email about the online test today? i got one from the navy but not the army even though the recruitment page says both would send them out today?

edit: just saw the email is not specifically from any sector, it is for both the army and navy :o

I'm guessing that anyone who has applied for two sectors will only have to do one fitness test. Possibly the reason for the confusion.

• Advertisement

thats what i thought too, would make sense. ive to do a separate one for the Air Corps for sure though

thats what i thought too, would make sense. ive to do a separate one for the Air Corps for sure though

I'm guessing again that there's a central authority overlooking all cadetships, it is the military after all. It would seem odd if it was any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Anyone any idea of the numbers breakdown for applicants this year, and anyone any idea how many people they're taking through to the next stage in the competition?

Anyone any idea of the numbers breakdown for applicants this year, and anyone any idea how many people they're taking through to the next stage in the competition?

Have a look back through the thread, it was mentioned somewhere.

I also done the practice psychometric test this evening. Its not what I'd consider a psychometric test by any standards. It's more like a measure of how fast you can shuffle through papers at the office type of test.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

Have a look back through the thread, it was mentioned somewhere.

I also done the practice psychometric test this evening. Its not what I'd consider a psychometric test by any standards. It's more like a measure of how fast you can shuffle through papers at the office type of test.

Na just the numbers breakdown for places available is mentioned. Not the amount of people that have applied or what numbers will be brought through the various stages. Just curious anyway that info might not be out yet but it gets out eventually each year via the DF facebook page or something and its always interesting to compare.

I did the online tests last night.

Don't think I got on the best. I didn't get the verbal reasoning one finished.

Ah well, that's what not leaving enough time to prepare does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TwentiethCent

Which one did you find harder of the two? got numerical finished but thought it was harder

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soldier boy

Just a note from someone that has been to the final stage of the army and air corp competitions(unsuccessfully unfortunately) i wouldn't worry about not finishing your psychometric test on the day. i got neither of the sections finished on the day. and i was still in the top 5% on all occasions. and answer as honestly as you think. it all comes back around. especially in the air corp one. that one was a lot of fun. really liked baldonnel. best of luck to all applying. due to family things i won't be in the running this year.

Oh and before all the really stupid questions start about the interview. yes you wear a suit. it looks AWFUL to see a young fella walk in in jeans to an interview for such a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soldier boy

I'm guessing that anyone who has applied for two sectors will only have to do one fitness test. Possibly the reason for the confusion.

You are wrong here. you must do each section for each force. ie army air corp navy.

Fitness testing will be done separately.

air corp aptitude test is completely different to layout of army. i dont know about the navy.

Which one did you find harder of the two? got numerical finished but thought it was harder

I found the verbal reasoning harder. Which is weird because I'm usually not as good with numbers.

I think it was because the questions were longer and there was more of them in the verbal reasoning section. Think I had about 12 q's or so left on that. I got the numerical one finished though. Not sure if the answers were correct for most though.

Here's hoping it's enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 CCCP1

Anyone know how long before you find out if you have been successful with the Psychometric tests?

I also found the verbal reasoning the harder of the two which i was surprised at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TwentiethCent

Shouldnt be too long if the system can calculate our results straight away!? Anyone know how many get called to the next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 banbatoyota

CCCP1 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long before you find out if you have been successful with the Psychometric tests?

I also found the verbal reasoning the harder of the two which i was surprised at.

Having done some online tests by the same company for grad programme positions during the year, we should easily know within the week.

Last year there were 21 Army places, and from the psychometric test, the top 300 went through to the assessment centre, from where 105 went through to the interview and then 35 to the medical after which the top 21 were offered Cadetships.

From an officer in the Army, the number of applications last year numbered around 2500, I can't imagine it being much smaller this year.

It'll be interesting to see if they retain the same structure to the competition after bringing in the online test this year, it's certainly far more efficient.

Shouldnt be too long if the system can calculate our results straight away!? Anyone know how many get called to the next stage?

I have a friend who is an officer now, so it would have been this time 2 years ago he was going in. He said in the proper live test (so to speak), there was 300 and you had to be in the top 100 (he thinks, he couldn't remember for sure, said it could have been top 150).

i also found the verbal one harder and im not great with numbers, only got 2/3s of the verbal finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Podge Kelly

the online test is not working for me at this time?
    when i enter the code i get this message:
    ''The login ID is correct; however, the process is not active at the moment.'' have i missed the deadline?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CCCP1

Deadline was midday today i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Podge Kelly

Missed the poxy deadline so, my UPC was down.. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

As someone not sporty at all, do you think I could get fit enough within a week? ie. Do the run every day, possibly twice a day? Push ups and sit ups are fine just haven't done cardio in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement