Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Not a hope in hell!!

you have to be practicing it for weeks before hand, its not that difficult to do, you just have to put time into it. Like anything else

Thanks. Anyone know what exactly is involved in the group assessment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

The way it worked when I last went for it anyways was,

You stay in the Curragh for a night, do your fitness test and they give you a presentation on what cadet life is like, after you become an officer etc.
    You get to have a chat with the current cadet class and see them doing certain exercises.

Then the group assessment comes. This is more about judging how you effectively communicate with others. You are given a situation on a piece of paper. an area/location and a mission. You are then told to discuss it amongst yourselves, come up with a suitable plan and vote 1 person to pitch it back to the officer in charge.

During this process every person in the group is assigned an officer to judge your communication skills (mine was a captain) Its not really about demonstrating military knowledge, although it always helps, rather than how you speak to others, when you form a plan do you go back on it, if so why etc. (this was my downfall I believe) and they also judge time keeping and a big thing would be who nominates themselves to read out the plan in front of all the officers

It can be quite intimidating, A room full of High Ranking officers assessing your every move, but I bottled it when I went in. That was my mistake. Ive learned from it now. Wont make it again ;)

Sound advice. I believe the exercise has changed from the old scenario. However, unless the format has changed dramatically (it sounds like it has not) then base your plan only off the information that's given.

There's always someone who dreams up some scenario with helicopters, airstrikes and all sorts of daft stuff that is never mentioned in the exercise.

Don't make assumptions, base your group decisions off the facts at hand. It's not really about how realistic your plan is but how well you work in a team, communicate and demonstrate leadership.

You can do this by listening to everyone carefully, not butting in or immediately shooting down ideas, trying to involve the quieter members of the group (e.g. 'Joe Bloggs, does this sound ok to you?') and being polite but clear when you disagree e.g. 'I appreciate your thoughts on this, how ever my concerns are x, y, z'.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SplitCartridge

The Army probably has the results already.

When we will have them is a different story. Just remember that the competition section has a lot of organizing to do for every stage. For example, next stage, booking the venue in Dublin for the confirmation tests. Stage after that, booking rations/the gym and much more for the over night job. They also have to coordinate with the cadetschool and organize it so that the candidates are there when the cadets are free for the evening to talk to the candidates etc. etc.

I could be wrong though. I'm not in the Army.. I'm just saying that candidates could be waiting a fair bit more than you'd think for info. These competitions usually span out over months and quite a lot of waiting around goes on for the candidates unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Good luck to those doing the Air Corps fitness test in the morning. Hopefully we all pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Good luck to those doing the Air Corps fitness test in the morning. Hopefully we all pass

You can't all pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 soldier boy

You can't all pass :)

they can ALL pass. but not all can progress. who is to say you don't get a few hundred super fit people.
    the competition section has to then decide who goes through

Who here was at the fitness test today? 1 pass here anyway, think the majority did.
    Had to be measured twice as they were sure I was too tall. Just scraped in!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

Who here was at the fitness test today? 1 pass here anyway, think the majority did.

did the edge of the matt help as leverage for you feet when doing the situps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭colm911

I'm afraid I was one of the one's who failed. Next year will be my last year to apply. Gym for the next 12 month's ;)

tomato1988 wrote: »
    did the edge of the matt help as leverage for you feet when doing the situps?

Didn't actually need to in the end! I was doing the sit ups much harder than required, I was going back to rest position each time :o
    Hard luck Colm!

Didn't actually need to in the end! I was doing the sit ups much harder than required, I was going back to rest position each time :o
    Hard luck Colm!

Thanks, hope to see you walking around the base next year. Best of luck with the rest of it and everybody else.

• Site Banned Posts: 43 Jacques Mesrine

Yes I was at the test today and I'm glad to say I passed. However I wouldn't get my hopes up as they only recruit 4-6 candidates per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

colm911 wrote: »
    hope to see you walking around the base next year.

Walking?! :pac:

Walking?! :pac:

From the pain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

If you can walk, you either run or march. Otherwise you are being carried in a stretcher :)

As I said to the lads today, it's weird, and kind of sad, that only 1 of our lot from the morning and the evening will make it through, if even that.

What's sad about it?

That so, so many wont get in.
    Got an email last night anyway, first interview next Tuesday, back up from Cork again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 choppy1988

Does anyone know when the army applicants will hear back from there online psychometric test results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

The only sad thing about that post is your lack of savage competitive spirit! You should be happy to crawl over the bodies of every other applicant!

Got an email last night anyway, first interview next Tuesday, back up from Cork again!

Ya its sad alright but not as sad as that guy who failed the push up test.

He was from Cork too. If I'm going to get one of the places I don't need to be an asshole about it, I'll get in on my innate skills alone :p

He was from Cork too. If I'm going to get one of the places I don't need to be an asshole about it, I'll get in on my innate skills alone :p

Do you know something the rest of us don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tomato1988

you have probably all seen this on the Irish Defence Forces Recruitment facebook page.

"FAQ: What is the next stage and when will I know if I was successful or not at the on-line Psychometric Stage?

We hope to inform all applicants whether or not they were successful or not at the Psychometric stage by 14 June 2013. The next stage of the competition will be the Verification Psychometric Tests in the Public Appointment Services Offices. The verification tests will take place between 24-28 June 2013."

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

How tall are you actually? And was that for the Air Corps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

That's not even admirable, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

What are peoples thoughts on the 12 years minimum service, after training, for the air corps?

• Advertisement

optimus125 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the 12 years minimum service, after training, for the air corps?[/quot

Personally I'd love it, good salary and doing something you love. What could be wrong with it?

Advertisement