Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

stickybean wrote: »
    Is raspberry tea not used to help bring on labour?

I think so yes. Funny one to be recommend to lucema in her post above I thought. It is supposed to bring on labour cramps, so i would guess it would shorten a cycle if it did anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I remembered reading this, I had a dream about 3 weeks ago that I got a BFP, the next morning I woke up still believing it and wanted to tell people, took me a while to come around. My daughter often says to me I love being an only child, some day (soon please God), she will get a shock :)

Aww thats lovely.

My period was 2 days late and yesterday afternoon (despite knowing in my heart of hearts that I wasn't) I convinced myself that I could maybe, just maybe be pregnant. Bought not one but two tests on the way home from work...........tested and big surprise got a negative.
    Was so upset!!
    My husband was so lovely though. He gave lots of hugs, kisses, we went for a lovely walk in the evening sunshine. When we got home he made me tea and 3 Rich Tea (my fav) biscuits. We discussed (despite not being TTC for that long) a couple of options such as acupuncture should we need them.
    Got period this morning and was ok with that.
    Onto the Pink Pad app (really is great ladies, worth downloading) to check the April dates for getting jiggy with it.
    Fingers (only;)) crossed that next month will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Aww thats lovely.

My period was 2 days late and yesterday afternoon (despite knowing in my heart of hearts that I wasn't) I convinced myself that I could maybe, just maybe be pregnant. Bought not one but two tests on the way home from work...........tested and big surprise got a negative.
    Was so upset!!
    My husband was so lovely though. He gave lots of hugs, kisses, we went for a lovely walk in the evening sunshine. When we got home he made me tea and 3 Rich Tea (my fav) biscuits. We discussed (despite not being TTC for that long) a couple of options such as acupuncture should we need them.
    Got period this morning and was ok with that.
    Onto the Pink Pad app (really is great ladies, worth downloading) to check the April dates for getting jiggy with it.
    Fingers (only;)) crossed that next month will be fun.

Penny dreadful I used Accupuncture while trying to conceive and would really recommend it ,not simply for conceiving but if you are any way an anxious person or a worrier (which I can be) I found it had a really really good effect on my mindset and calmed me down an awful lot! Just my two cents and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Went to see gyne today. I had three failed months on clomid so he told me today i seem to be resisting it (based on the fact that my day 21 bloods just got worse the more i took. He said the minimum he'd like to see is 35 and i only ever gotmover that once with clomid and never alone.) so long story short in three months he is doung ovarian drilling during a laporoscopy along with dye through my tubes, taking a sample of my uterine lining and doing a dnc.
    I'm excited about it lol. Has anyone had ovarian drilling done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Hi girls, yeah from reading d forums i haven't come across anyone else that was recommended to take the raspberry leaf tea or the Dong Quai. Agnus castus seems to be the only thing that people have been recommended to take to regulate their cycle. However also from reading the forums i think my problem (crazily irregular usually very short cycles) isn't very common. i'm going to give the acupuncturist the benefit of the doubt for the time being and as i'm 32 i have a bit of time on my side i hope so i'll give it another 6 months and if my periods haven't calmed down i might come off those 2 and give agnus castus a go.

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Hi girls, yeah from reading d forums i haven't come across anyone else that was recommended to take the raspberry leaf tea or the Dong Quai. Agnus castus seems to be the only thing that people have been recommended to take to regulate their cycle. However also from reading the forums i think my problem (crazily irregular usually very short cycles) isn't very common. i'm going to give the acupuncturist the benefit of the doubt for the time being and as i'm 32 i have a bit of time on my side i hope so i'll give it another 6 months and if my periods haven't calmed down i might come off those 2 and give agnus castus a go.

Agnus castus shortens cycles, yours are already short. I would really see a GP and just get a few simple blood tests run to see what's going on, instead of trying random things from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Girls think we need some good vibes, been a good while since we have had and BFP's. Sending everyone good vibes and hoping there is lots of baby dust out there this month xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Neyite - thanks for your advice, it is a better way of thinking about it for sure. I had relaxed and stopped thinking about it so much until yesterday. A friend who is uncannily good at guessing when someone is pregnant turned round and said to me "you're pregnant, I knew as soon as I saw you this morning". I know she thought she was being nice but she's got me all over the place now. My logical self knows its bull**** but I can't help wondering now. I saw another friend today whose known her longer and she was sayin she has never been wrong. Don't know what to think, arghhhh

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite - thanks for your advice, it is a better way of thinking about it for sure. I had relaxed and stopped thinking about it so much until yesterday. A friend who is uncannily good at guessing when someone is pregnant turned round and said to me "you're pregnant, I knew as soon as I saw you this morning". I know she thought she was being nice but she's got me all over the place now. My logical self knows its bull**** but I can't help wondering now. I saw another friend today whose known her longer and she was sayin she has never been wrong. Don't know what to think, arghhhh
    Lets hope it's your month then. :). Actually, let hope it's a lucky month for a few of us. It's about time this thread saw a few BFP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

Hi all

I'm totally new to boards. I just joined today specifically to join this thread. I'm in tears as I write this. There is no need to be in tears to be honest! its just my Hycosy got pushed back (was supposed to do it today) which means I won't get it done for around another two months, due to holidays etc etc.

I'm going to take another course of 100 Clomid and just fingers crossed it works this time. It hasn't on the last 3 occasions!

My sister also takes Clomid and I know she has some spare. I was thinking of taking some of here to up my dosage from 100 to 150. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 NordieinDublin

Went to see gyne today. I had three failed months on clomid so he told me today i seem to be resisting it (based on the fact that my day 21 bloods just got worse the more i took. He said the minimum he'd like to see is 35 and i only ever gotmover that once with clomid and never alone.) so long story short in three months he is doung ovarian drilling during a laporoscopy along with dye through my tubes, taking a sample of my uterine lining and doing a dnc.
    I'm excited about it lol. Has anyone had ovarian drilling done?

Hi Stargirl

I was good to read your post as I am in a similar situation to you. Got diagnosed with POCS around September last year after about one year TTC. I've had 3 failed cycles of Clomid (1*50 and 2*100 cycles). Next steps for me are to have the Hycosy and after that the Ovarian Drilling. I was supposed to have the Hycosy today but I got my dates wrong so they couldn't do it. No surprise, I am very disappointed!

Anyway I am going to take another cycle of clomid so fingers crossed that works given the other cycles have had absolutely no effect.

It will be good to hear how you get on. When are your Hycosy and Ovarian Drilling booked for?

Girls does anyone who took Clomid know if it regulated or reduced their cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Girls does anyone who took Clomid know if it regulated or reduced their cycles?

It didn't really change mine at all. I only took it for 3 months though and then room a break, which low and behold I got pregnant on!!

Thanks Yellow Hen xxx

Just wondering cause it brought my ovulation date down to CD13/14 (I got a positive OPK on CD 12 and CD 13), I used to get it around CD 19 so was wondering should AF be due on CD 28 or will I have the normal long wait...

I've been using Pink Pad app to track my cycles to see whats going on, whats my normal length of cycle etc - had a little giggle to myself when a notification popped up "Aunt Flow is coming" - nice of her to let me know :D

Hopefully she will change her mind ;)

I've been using Pink Pad app to track my cycles to see whats going on, whats my normal length of cycle etc - had a little giggle to myself when a notification popped up "Aunt Flow is coming" - nice of her to let me know :D

LOL I use the Pink Pad app too and when it told me Aunt Flow is coming I showed it to my husband.
    He responded by saying "like we need an app to tell us that".

It would seem I had been a little............well lets just say over wrought. :o

Hopefully she will change her mind ;)

Hopefully! I don't think she's actually due yet, Pink Pad seems to take an average of your cycle length - my first one off the pill was 16 days and my last one was 31 days, CD 25 today so think it might be a bit early.
    LOL I use the Pink Pad app too and when it told me Aunt Flow is coming I showed it to my husband.
    He responded by saying "like we need an app to tell us that".

It would seem I had been a little............well lets just say over wrought. :o

That's quite funny, I feel sorry for them sometimes having to put up with us when we get hormonal but then I remember its us who actually have to deal with the hormones so I tend to stop feeling sorry for them just as quickly :D

Hopefully! I don't think she's actually due yet, Pink Pad seems to take an average of your cycle length - my first one off the pill was 16 days and my last one was 31 days, CD 25 today so think it might be a bit early.

That's quite funny, I feel sorry for them sometimes having to put up with us when we get hormonal but then I remember its us who actually have to deal with the hormones so I tend to stop feeling sorry for them just as quickly :D

Got another little message from the Pink Pad this morning to say "The Flowers are Blooming".

Husband much happier with this message than the Auntie Flow one;):D

Well again aunt flow arrived, came last night, don't know why but I am so upset. I really thought this would be our month :( I started clomid, got the positive OPK, did the deed all around the right days, and still, she came. I just feel like quitting right now.

We had a big row last night, his attitude is try not get your hopes up and you won't get so upset, mine is that I have to allow myself a little hope or else what the point? We are sorted now, but I just wish he would get a bit more upset when she comes, I just want to feel he cares.

I am due to start back clomid today, I don't think I will bother. Just want to run away right now. And on top of it all I fell incredibly guilty, I already have one amazing child, but since she turned 10 I feel that the gap between her and the (Please God) new baby is getting too big.

And if one more of my friends tells me to relax and try not to think about it I will scream.

Sorry for the long post / rant - just need some where to let it all out :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

ah sticky bean i feel your pain. and i have had many arguements with my other half over him not seeming to be on the same page or the not understanding how annoying it can be to think you are and then the B**ch arrives.
    allow yourself time to deal with everything and if your not feeling the clomid this month maybe give yourself a month off.
    as for the age gap there is 9 years between me and my youngest brother and we get along great now and my other half and youngest brother there is 14 yrs and they get on better now and he was a easy option babysitter for his mam too. so try not to dwell on the age gap your not so little one will be happy no matter what.
    i had a similar weekend though mine was a friend was minding her new nephew and said to come down and have a look i had to txt her and say i couldnt i wasnt in the right frame of mind to be looking at someone elses baby when i want one so badly myself. thankfully she understood and didnt push. i really wish these poor me weekends would feck off im sick of moping around but at the same time i realise i have to deal with it or it will end up coming out over something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Ah stickybean its not easy,my oh has the same attitude as yours its very frustrating isn't it.As for the age gap,if I manage to get pregnant this year there will be an 18 year age gap,only last nite I had a conversation with my son,he asked would I not like another baby that he would love to be a big brother,I haven't told him what were going through as he's a worrier where im concerned.
    We'll get there eventually and as a friend of mine says we will appreciate it more because of the journey we had.

Aww stickybean, you poor thing. Men are much more detatched from it, it's not their bodies going though it.

Don't give up just yet. Super-fertile people take an average of 4 months to conceive. Give the clomid those same 4 goes.

I try my best to set aims for longer than 1 cycle if I can. Set the goal far off. Like next 6 cycles, or I'll be pregnant by christmas etc. Still get the disappointment of course, but less often.

I've been charting since my cycles returned from the last MC. With both of us organising work trips so one of us is home to mind the smallie, we have just managed to miss the fertile window again I suspect. grr. Step one is surely to actually be in the same country some of the time!

pwurple wrote: »
    Agnus castus shortens cycles, yours are already short. I would really see a GP and just get a few simple blood tests run to see what's going on, instead of trying random things from the internet.

Ah jeez i'm not using random things off the internet :D i'm going to an acupuncturist who has trained in fertility issues and he put me on the Dong Quai and the raspberry leaf tea. i think the Dong quai is to lengthen short cycles. Thanks for telling me that Agnus castus shortens cycles, never knew that! i asked him at the weekend actually what the raspberry leaf tea is for and he said it's supposed to help bring on ovulation. Fingers crossed :)

can i ask a qn about OPKs actually, anyone using the cheapie ones from inhealth.ie (brand name unitest) ? ? Just wondering if it's normal to see just one line showing that the test was successful but to never ever see even a trace of the other line?

pwurple wrote: »

oh also....i think that the blood tests a GP will do on you at the beginning are day 3 and day 21 blood tests no? So i would need to regulate my cycles first before going to the GP i think? i'm afraid that if i go to a GP and tell them about some of my recent cycles (10d, 13d, 15d) they won't know what to do with me, i could be wrong. are there other blood tests the GP will do at the beginning other than the day 3 and day 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

can i ask a qn about OPKs actually, anyone using the cheapie ones from inhealth.ie (brand name unitest) ? ? Just wondering if it's normal to see just one line showing that the test was successful but to never ever see even a trace of the other line?

That's how mine were until the day before I ovulated & then I would get the second line.
    Mine never got gradually darker the second line was either there or it wasn't.

Are you never getting a second line at all throughout your whole cycle??

oh also....i think that the blood tests a GP will do on you at the beginning are day 3 and day 21 blood tests no? So i would need to regulate my cycles first before going to the GP i think? i'm afraid that if i go to a GP and tell them about some of my recent cycles (10d, 13d, 15d) they won't know what to do with me, i could be wrong. are there other blood tests the GP will do at the beginning other than the day 3 and day 21?

Yes there are others. the doctor can take an AMH test, which will show your ovarian reserve level. And the day numbers are not so important with irregular cycles. Mine are irregular. It's a simplification to say they are day 3 and 21. (Some doctors dumb it down for us silly women :rolleyes:) GP takes the 'day 3' ones anywhere from day 1 to day 5. So basically during your period. Easy enough to pinpoint that one.

The 'day 21' are to see if you have ovulated, they are looking for another hormone. My cycles are typically anything up to 70 days, So I had mine taken at day 14, 20, 27, 35, 40 etc, until they found an ovulation spike. It was a tiny spike, so unlikely to be caught in the OPKs. OPKs work well for women with average cycles, they are not great for anyone with something different going on.

I don't want to freak you out, so remember this is not the only reason for short cycles. sometimes, occasionally, they can be a sign of early menopause. it was for one of my best buds. An AMH bloodtest will tell you if you have low reserves. Don't wait. Time is not our friend with fertility.

Thanks for the replies yesterday girls, much appreciated. I think after a good night sleep my head space is much clearer. Took the clomid in the end. Decided to give it the 3 months the doctor said.

The other half was very good to me last night, I suffer the most horrendous periods, he sat with me all evening and we talked, turns out you were all right, men are just on a different page, just cause they don't cry doesn't mean they aren't sad / disappointed inside.

So we are going to keep trying :) Going to focus on loosing a bit of weight this month, I have lost most of what I needed to, but still have a stone that could be gone if I put my mind to it.

Thanks girls xxx

Ah jeez i'm not using random things off the internet :D i'm going to an acupuncturist who has trained in fertility issues and he put me on the Dong Quai and the raspberry leaf tea. i think the Dong quai is to lengthen short cycles. Thanks for telling me that Agnus castus shortens cycles, never knew that! i asked him at the weekend actually what the raspberry leaf tea is for and he said it's supposed to help bring on ovulation. Fingers crossed :)

Hi Lucma,

The lighter line indicates there is some ofthe LH hormone present, but you need a line he same colour as the test line or darker to indicate the LH surge (which happens the day before ovulation). I ovulated day 14 this month, I got a light line on day 11 and 12 and on day 13 I got a really strong dark line, darker than the test line.

When I stared monitoring my ovulation, I used the cheapies, when I got a positive I used a clear blue one to confirm (it gives a definite result instead of you having to guess if the lines are darker)

Also if you check you cervial mucus it gets clearer and more stringy just before and during ovulation, it's described as looking like raw egg whites or you may see if referred to as EWCM (egg white cervical mucus)

• Advertisement

Well again aunt flow arrived, came last night, don't know why but I am so upset. I really thought this would be our month :( I started clomid, got the positive OPK, did the deed all around the right days, and still, she came. I just feel like quitting right now.

We had a big row last night, his attitude is try not get your hopes up and you won't get so upset, mine is that I have to allow myself a little hope or else what the point? We are sorted now, but I just wish he would get a bit more upset when she comes, I just want to feel he cares.

I am due to start back clomid today, I don't think I will bother. Just want to run away right now. And on top of it all I fell incredibly guilty, I already have one amazing child, but since she turned 10 I feel that the gap between her and the (Please God) new baby is getting too big.

And if one more of my friends tells me to relax and try not to think about it I will scream.

Sorry for the long post / rant - just need some where to let it all out :o

You know age gaps really don't matter a damn. In my family there are all kinds of gaps and we still get on really well.
    My older sister is 15 years older than the youngest in the family (I am 7 years younger and 8 years older respectively) and the 3 of us get on so well you'd hardly believe it.
    The two older sisters have only one year between them (6 between me and the second, 14 between the second and youngest) and their relationship isn't a patch on the one we have despite all of the gaps.
    My brother (second youngest in the family) swims in a super contented way among all of us but probably gets on best with the second oldest ( 9 years between them).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement