Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Sounds like a plan carlyam2 xxx :)

So I told the hubbie last night about the everlasting sperm ;) he asked me like a million questions, I was in hysterics laughing, but didn't really know the answers. :D

My favourite was "So if we have sex every second day, is the sperm from the previous time no longer needed?

Or do they battle it out?

Or does the fresher stuff just get there faster.

Also does the old stuff not "go off", like would you have a better chance of having a healthier brainy baby with the fresh stuff?"

To which I replied "with that demonstration of your wonderful genes honey, it's not likely" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

oh stickybean im in stitches laughing here at your hubbie. least he was asking questions although there is a part of me that hates when these questions come up i usually get the ones bout time of the month and how do i know and the poor bloke is so naive in all fairness i think we all are until we have to look into it.
    they really need to teach this in schools least give us a basic knowledge instead of us having to learn from the doc or books or any other way we find out(google)
    i think if myself and hubbie get out baby i am going to be completely honest with them about the ins and outs of the working of the body of both sexes least they would have some clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

stickybean wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan carlyam2 xxx :)

So I told the hubbie last night about the everlasting sperm ;) he asked me like a million questions, I was in hysterics laughing, but didn't really know the answers. :D

My favourite was "So if we have sex every second day, is the sperm from the previous time no longer needed?

Or do they battle it out?

Or does the fresher stuff just get there faster.

Also does the old stuff not "go off", like would you have a better chance of having a healthier brainy baby with the fresh stuff?"

To which I replied "with that demonstration of your wonderful genes honey, it's not likely" :D:D:D

Lol - good to have a laugh about it, and good questions. I have wondered the same thing, what if my baby is a bit slow because his daddy's swimmers were hanging around for so long? We'll see anyway :)

I have my fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I've read that they can live up to 5 days! But that the girl ones tend to live longer than the boy ones - so if say you do the deed on a mon and ovulate on a Thursday - then the boy sperm who are not as persistent have died off and your more likely to have a girl!!

dublinlady wrote: »
    I've read that they can live up to 5 days! But that the girl ones tend to live longer than the boy ones - so if say you do the deed on a mon and ovulate on a Thursday - then the boy sperm who are not as persistent have died off and your more likely to have a girl!!

Ha - just to be different, I'm having a boy! :D

It is reassuring that the swimmers can live up to 5 days though, if you find it hard to tell when you're ovulating. I would never have believed that until the midwife told me. If you knew that when you were younger and trying to avoid getting pregnant it'd really freak you out!

• Advertisement

Ah girls this really is an education today!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Lol - good to have a laugh about it, and good questions. I have wondered the same thing, what if my baby is a bit slow because his daddy's swimmers were hanging around for so long? We'll see anyway :)

I have my fingers crossed for you!

These are good questions! Do the swimmers have a best before / use before date??

I heard an interesting interview on The Last Word yesterday evening with Matt Cooper. A lady who has been TTC for a number of years has written a book called The Baby Wait (or possibly Weight I'm not sure which it was) about her years of TTC.
    I was telling my husband about it last night as the lady who wrote it said that she hasn't quite reached the point where she is closing the door on having a family just yet but wanted to write the book to help inform other couples about things they should know or ask their GP/ fertility consultant if they have to go down the road of having additional assistance/ interventions with having a family. Her point being that there was a whole load of stuff she was totally unaware of and had she known it in advance it may have been of benefit to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Heard that interview myself,my heart went out to her.shes so open and honest,im gonna buy her book and have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I feel like I'm going crazy!!

I feel like I'm going crazy!!

Why? You okay pet? x

• Advertisement

Why? You okay pet? x

Ah I'm just being a moan it could be worse. Frustrated this month as don't know when I ovulated - I could be either 8, 7 or 5 days post ovulation. Don't know why I ovulated so late either... Annoying me cause I'm going on holidays on Wednesday and I thought I'd know before I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

This is the first month (in 4years:-S) that I've used my fertility monitor properly,every day since say 1.ive just discovered I'm in peak fertility the last two days,day 19 and 20!!!i never realised i was this late ovulating,my cycles range from 28-32 days,so does this mean some cycles my L phase is not long enough for me to get pregnant?

My god you would wonder how anybody ever manages to get pregnant it seems that compliacted by times!!

Ah I'm just being a moan it could be worse. Frustrated this month as don't know when I ovulated - I could be either 8, 7 or 5 days post ovulation. Don't know why I ovulated so late either... Annoying me cause I'm going on holidays on Wednesday and I thought I'd know before I go

Ah that is a pain, think of the longest ovulation date, then you can't be too far wrong x

Well looks like our super or not so super swimmers didn't last the 3 days - I'm out - another month passes :(

Well looks like our super or not so super swimmers didn't last the 3 days - I'm out - another month passes :(

Sorry to hear that :( Fingers crossed for next month!

Sorry sticky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

oh sorry stickybean have all crossed for you this month.
    i was bored last night and decided to read more into the whole how to get pregnant and realised even without difficulties that its a small miracle there are as many people wandering around as there are. i really have to stop bombarding myself with usless info that really nobody wants and that by the end of me reading has me more freaked out than ever.
    after spending the weekend with my cutest little niece in law i was wavering on the is this hassle worth it i realised it was and im not willing to give up and that when we get there it will be that much sweeter as its something we have longed for and wanted.

So I've been getting the Flowers are Blooming messages from my Pink Pad ap since yesterday, all good so far. However I have a question for those of you who have used OPKs.
    According to the ap the flowers are blooming and I should ovulate on May 22nd. This morning I decided to use one of the OPK strips I bought on Amazon.
    The strip said that I wasn't ovulating. Reading the instructions on the back said that if you test positive for a surge then you are due to ovulate within the next 48 hours. I realise that I am more than 48 hours away from the 22nd but wondered how the ap could say that you're ovulating for such a long period of time:confused:
    I'm flabbergasted that there are 7 billion people in the world. Getting pregnant seems to be way more complicated than you'd think. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

Hi Penny Dreadful.... I'm no expert on this but the pink pad is giving you an estimate based on all the info you put in to it & generally gives a period of a few days before ovulation & a few days after (I presume to have the swimmers in place). I use pink pad and the opk's and I got a positive on the opk the day pink pad gave as ovulation day. Not sure if this helps at all!! Fingers crossed for us for a productive month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

So I've been getting the Flowers are Blooming messages from my Pink Pad ap since yesterday, all good so far. However I have a question for those of you who have used OPKs.
    According to the ap the flowers are blooming and I should ovulate on May 22nd. This morning I decided to use one of the OPK strips I bought on Amazon.
    The strip said that I wasn't ovulating. Reading the instructions on the back said that if you test positive for a surge then you are due to ovulate within the next 48 hours. I realise that I am more than 48 hours away from the 22nd but wondered how the ap could say that you're ovulating for such a long period of time:confused:
    I'm flabbergasted that there are 7 billion people in the world. Getting pregnant seems to be way more complicated than you'd think. :confused:

Hi Penny Dreadful, go with the OPKs as opposed to the Pink Pad app. The pink pad app only makes an assumption as to when you are likely to ovulate based on your cycle dates (i.e. if you don't tinker with the settings it'll default to ovulation on day 14 of a 28 day cycle). Whereas the OPK will tell you when you actually ovulate so is far more reliable.

Not everyone ovulates on the same cycle day every month, my cousin is a GP and is pregnant with her second child and she told me that for most women their ovulation days can vary from month to month so the best way to TTC is not to use OPKs or anything else but just to have sex around twice a week, every week to make sure not to miss the days. She got pregnant after a couple of months just doing that. I'm not saying that's what I'm doing, but that was her advice!

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Ha - just to be different, I'm having a boy! :D

It is reassuring that the swimmers can live up to 5 days though, if you find it hard to tell when you're ovulating. I would never have believed that until the midwife told me. If you knew that when you were younger and trying to avoid getting pregnant it'd really freak you out!

This is interesting as if what the nurse told you is true, and your husband's sperm lasted for 5 days and you're having a boy - then your experience directly contradicts Shettle's method Murdy Wurdy! I really, really want a boy so I have been reading up about this stuff. The Y (boy making) sperm are supposed to be faster swimmers but don't last as long, whereas the X (girl making) sperm are the ones that are supposed to be able to last up til 5 days.

Lucuma wrote: »
    This is interesting as if what the nurse told you is true, and your husband's sperm lasted for 5 days and you're having a boy - then your experience directly contradicts Shettle's method Murdy Wurdy! I really, really want a boy so I have been reading up about this stuff. The Y (boy making) sperm are supposed to be faster swimmers but don't last as long, whereas the X (girl making) sperm are the ones that are supposed to be able to last up til 5 days.

Interesting! Well, I'm due in 5 weeks so I'll be able to tell you soon if it's def a boy! We're fairly sure though from the scans. Will also be I interesting to see when I go into labour. I.e. early or late

My due date should be 16th June based on the date of my LMP. It was our first month of trying so even though my cycle is irregular we did the deed when I would have been ovulating if I was having a normal 28 day cycle (which i rarely do) just to see what happened. Hubby was then away so I know exactly when we conceived but 3 scans have shown my due date to be a week later than it should be (it's now 24th June) so The hosp think I must have ovulated and conceived later. It's really weird. My hubby could be getting suspicious if he thinks about if too much!

This stuff is all really interesting, I wonder how accurate that method is, would be fascinating to see the results :)

Good luck with making a boy anyway :D

Ha ha re your comment about your hubby getting suspicious!! :-) He should be proud, his swimmers are survivors! Good luck with the last few weeks of pregnancy, must be so exciting!

Aunt Flo has arrived......good and bad news this cycle.
    The bad news was that I didn't ovulate, the good news is that my cycle was 19 days long. After the last three cycles (15d, 16d, 16d) looks like they might be getting longer - fingers crossed!

After ovulating last cycle for the first time ever, I naively thought 'oh that's it now, I'm going to ovulate every cycle from now on' but alas it seems that is not the case.

At least it happened once, and I know the signs to look out for now. When it happened last cycle I had a pain in my side for a few hours in the morning, lots of ewcm and 2 lines on the OPKs. This cycle: I had none of those three.

Fingers crossed for this cycle

Aunt Flo has arrived......good and bad news this cycle.
    The bad news was that I didn't ovulate, the good news is that my cycle was 19 days long. After the last three cycles (15d, 16d, 16d) looks like they might be getting longer - fingers crossed!

After ovulating last cycle for the first time ever, I naively thought 'oh that's it now, I'm going to ovulate every cycle from now on' but alas it seems that is not the case.

At least it happened once, and I know the signs to look out for now. When it happened last cycle I had a pain in my side for a few hours in the morning, lots of ewcm and 2 lines on the OPKs. This cycle: I had none of those three.

Fingers crossed for this cycle

Good news that they are getting longer - well as good news as it can be xxx

Another thing I notice, when I am coming up to ovulation, I get really tired. I am CD 11 now, I am on Chlomid and I have been ovulating on CD 14, and I can already feel the tiredness starting and the thinning of the mucus!!! Looks likes its time to get busy ;)

Hi Penny Dreadful, go with the OPKs as opposed to the Pink Pad app. The pink pad app only makes an assumption as to when you are likely to ovulate based on your cycle dates (i.e. if you don't tinker with the settings it'll default to ovulation on day 14 of a 28 day cycle). Whereas the OPK will tell you when you actually ovulate so is far more reliable.

QUOTE]

I'm very confused as to the above. I came off the Pill in December (end of) and my cycle seems to have established itself pretty much over the last 2 -3 months. I didn't get pregnant but neither did we have "targeted" sex for want to a better phrase.
    My husband and myself decided that this month we'd do it all according to the ap suggestions, etc. So as mentioned in an earlier post the flowers are blooming messages came from the Pink Pad (and other 2 aps) and we had sex. As an add on I also used the OPK that I bought on Amazon just to be sure that I was actually ovulating as per the predictions of the ap.

The kit I got was a set of dip sticks for urine so you don't have to be a genius to use them. Pee in a cup, stick the stick into it and let the lines appear or not.
    The test line appears as it should in a dark pink and the ovulation line while darker now than earlier this month is still not the same shade as the test line nor is it darker which would be good.
    Now I am on CD 20 and according to the ap my next period is due on June 5th yet it looks as though I haven't ovulated? :confused:
    I know the aps are a general guide and operate based on the info that I input but that info is based on what my body is doing. :confused:

This is all rather confusing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm very confused as to the above. I came off the Pill in December (end of) and my cycle seems to have established itself pretty much over the last 2 -3 months. I didn't get pregnant but neither did we have "targeted" sex for want to a better phrase.
    My husband and myself decided that this month we'd do it all according to the ap suggestions, etc. So as mentioned in an earlier post the flowers are blooming messages came from the Pink Pad (and other 2 aps) and we had sex. As an add on I also used the OPK that I bought on Amazon just to be sure that I was actually ovulating as per the predictions of the ap.

The kit I got was a set of dip sticks for urine so you don't have to be a genius to use them. Pee in a cup, stick the stick into it and let the lines appear or not.
    The test line appears as it should in a dark pink and the ovulation line while darker now than earlier this month is still not the same shade as the test line nor is it darker which would be good.
    Now I am on CD 20 and according to the ap my next period is due on June 5th yet it looks as though I haven't ovulated? :confused:
    I know the aps are a general guide and operate based on the info that I input but that info is based on what my body is doing. :confused:

This is all rather confusing. :(

My last cycle was the only time I used opks. I got them because I was annoyed that I thought I didn't ovulate the previous cycle(based on cm, twinges etc) Think they were ones mentioned on this thread. Sound like the ones you are using. Anyway, I started using them quite early on in the cycle because I am prone to erratic and lengthy cycles. For most of the cycle I got no second line whatsoever, then, when my cm started to change I started to get a second line. It was nowhere near as dark for a few days and then one day it almost looked as dark as the test line and from there got lighter over a day or two. I wasn't entirely sure I ovulated because the instructions said it had to be as dark if not darker. I had decided to buy some more expensive/easier to read ones for the next cycle. Thankfully there was no next cycle. Got my positive even though I couldn't really judge from the opk whether I had ovulated.

Penny Dreadful,

I'm no expert on ovulation but I am at the same stage on the TTC journey as you (only trying to get to know my cycle, figure out when I've ovulated etc) and last month the one and only time I ever ovulated it might as well have arrived with trumpet fanfare it was so obvious!
    On day 7 I got egg white cervical mucus for the first time. Excuse me in advance for TMI but hopefully this might help you/other people.....basically this cm was totally different to anything I'd seen before. Firstly there was lots of it, secondly it looked like the train that a snail leaves after them and the acid test was that if you held it between your thumb and forefinger and then pulled them apart, it formed strings (the normal cm doesn't). Right sorry about that description, had to be done !!! ;o) So I had that cm on Day 7 and Day 8 of my cycle. Then on Day 9 I had a pain on one side for a couple of hours in the morning and then on Day 10 I got for the first time ever, a 2nd line on the OPK. So I reckon I ovulated on CD 11. My cycle was 16 days long in total so don't take those Cycle Days as normal CDs for those things to occur, I'm only mentioning them to illustrate the order in which things happened.

For me, as my husband is working abroad at the moment, the ovulation although a huge milestone/achievement, was no use to me for TTC but I was still delighted about it and can't wait for it to happen again......hopefully when hubby is around next time :)

I think that ovulation is such a mystery that to be really sure that it happens, you need to be tracking more than one indicator.....I'm no expert but I think the fact that you have a 2nd line on the OPK is a very positive sign for a start? I've been using them for months, and only last cycle for the first time ever did I ever get a 2nd line (leading me to believe I didn't ovulate on any of all those other cycles since I came off the pill last Nov).
    Stickybean described to me before that she gets a line for a few days before ovulation. I presume (but I never asked) that once the 2nd line stops appearing, then that's how know that you have already ovulated? So ..how many days has your cycle been? On what day do you start seeing the 2nd line? For how many days is the 2nd line present? And on what day of your cycle does the 2nd line disappear? Maybe if you give those details one of the more experienced TTC'ers on here will be able to tell you on what day you probably ovulated then.

Also maybe you should consider using another few 'signposts' as well as the OPKs so either start temping or watching out for changes in the cm, or both.

I am CD 11 now, I am on Chlomid and I h:ave been ovulating on CD 14, and I can already feel the tiredness starting and the thinning of the mucus!!! Looks likes its time to get busy ;)

Stickybean enjoy getting busy and best of luck with it xx May the force be with you this month :-)

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »
    For most of the cycle I got no second line whatsoever, then, when my cm started to change I started to get a second line. It was nowhere near as dark for a few days and then one day it almost looked as dark as the test line and from there got lighter over a day or two. I wasn't entirely sure I ovulated because the instructions said it had to be as dark if not darker. I had decided to buy some more expensive/easier to read ones for the next cycle. Thankfully there was no next cycle. Got my positive even though I couldn't really judge from the opk whether I had ovulated.

That's very helpful information.........this means then that the line doesn't have to be as dark or darker than the test line to show you ovulated.....just seeing a line that is nearly as dark can also mean ovulation. I mean you got pregnant so you obviously ovulated :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement