Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

thanks a mil hon. I see you had your own sad news - big hugs to you. How are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Great to see you posting, DFT. You've been missed around these parts ;)

I reckon we're going to go down the Napro route when we're married. I don't like the ethos either, but, they have huge success rates, so I reckon I can tune into the hamsters dancing in my head if they get too religious on us. But, from what I've heard, they're not nearly as ''holier than thou'' as you'd think they're going to be

thanks lovey ;)

Do you know % success rate with Napro by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I don't....but I have heard that they're hugely successful. There are bits I'm cringing at already, like they want the men to know how to chart CM...as if assisted TTC wasn't sexy enough, eh? lol

Oh god! Passion killer! I'm not letting OH see my CM - gross! :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

thanks a mil hon. I see you had your own sad news - big hugs to you. How are you doing?

I'm doing ok. :) It gets to me from time to time but mostly I'm fine and I remember that it happens to nearly every woman at some stage and its natures way of taking care of things I suppose. I'll be leaving it a cycle or two I think before we start trying again.

I have heard that they dont mention religion at all in Napro. It's just being married, but that is mainly for the commitment aspect. But the science-y side of it seems solid enough. Dunno about making the OH do the charting though. I find it hard enough to persuade himself to bring out the bins sometimes! But I suppose it helps them feel more involved and proactive maybe? that you are in this together kind of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi guys, yep I can confirm that religion is never mentioned. I'm not sure for standard infertility but for recurrent mis-carriage T's 80% over a 9 month period. It's no fast fix but they do listen and actually look for reasons. As my surgeon, who by the way isn't Napro as such, just works alongside them as necessary said to us. "There is no such thing as unexplained just laziness"
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Ì have to say you really have to fight for answers with consultants. I always knew in my heart something wasn't right but got the "It's just one of those things BS" so I really had to become forceful and push it and when all was checked I was right and it turned out to be something very simple that should have been sorted 10 years ago. Makes me so mad that I am now 40 and still childless, hopefully this time next year I will finally have my healthy, happy baba.

DFT If you feel Napro is the way to go then go for it or make your own consultant re-run every test and really push it. Text me if you want to know anything hun xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hey, have been temping this month and it dropped yesterday to nearly cover line(12dpo) but I still decided to get my hopes up and test with a cheapie test. Got a squint to see it faint line. Today temperature dropped to below cover line but I had a test left. It's darker today, no squinting to see it. Am I wrong to get my hopes up with the temperature drop. So confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Roesy wrote: »
    Hey, have been temping this month and it dropped yesterday to nearly cover line(12dpo) but I still decided to get my hopes up and test with a cheapie test. Got a squint to see it faint line. Today temperature dropped to below cover line but I had a test left. It's darker today, no squinting to see it. Am I wrong to get my hopes up with the temperature drop. So confused!

Rosey the cycle I got my bfp my temps dropped to the coverline on dpo7 & dpo12, my baby is now 10 months old!!!
    Congratulations!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A line is a line! Congratulations!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Because I have an underactive thyroid my medication needs to be monitored from early on if I become pregnant. So I went to the doctor today and she did a test which came back negative. She then gave me another test and told me 'if it comes back positive in the morning give me a ring tomorrow but these are very sensitive tests you know.' She then asked me was the one I used in date. Not quite the reassuring visit I hoped for. Anyway, me being me, I went and forked out for clearblue digital and the result pregnant came up in about a minute and a half and pregnant 1-2 came up very shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Because I have an underactive thyroid my medication needs to be monitored from early on if I become pregnant. So I went to the doctor today and she did a test which came back negative. She then gave me another test and told me 'if it comes back positive in the morning give me a ring tomorrow but these are very sensitive tests you know.' She then asked me was the one I used in date. Not quite the reassuring visit I hoped for. Anyway, me being me, I went and forked out for clearblue digital and the result pregnant came up in about a minute and a half and pregnant 1-2 came up very shortly after.

Congrats Roesy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

No updates from me really but just needed to say the following:

Bloody hell its hard waiting isn't it!!!

Anyhow thats that on the rant front from me for today.

Hope all the ladies are doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Finally Aunt Flo is here :-). Never as happy to see her. Now we can start trying this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

No updates from me really but just needed to say the following:

Bloody hell its hard waiting isn't it!!!

Anyhow thats that on the rant front from me for today.

Hope all the ladies are doing well :)

Yes it bloody is!!!:rolleyes:
    Had my appointment in the hari yesterday,Got a blood test done to check my egg reserve,have to get my day 3 and 21 bloods done again,himself has to give a sample and then were back in May to decide which is the best option for us.I must say that ive never had it explained to me aswell as that doctor did yesterday,it was a case of this is what you need to do and this is what we will do when you have that part sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

Hi all

I'm feeling slightly annoyed, after losing our son last year we have now started to try again.
    I have used the ovulation tests the last 2 months.
    Now, the problem is that I'm ovulation way too early, last month it was 11 days after the first day of my period, this month it was 9 days!
    I read up a bit about it and this seems to be an issue. The normal range seem to vary between 10-18 days, so anything before 10 days might cause a problem.

Have anyone had any similar experiences?

I'm just feeling so frustrated at this stage, even though I know 2 months of trying is not long, but after losing our son I just want to get pregnant straight away....

ILoveToast wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm feeling slightly annoyed, after losing our son last year we have now started to try again.
    I have used the ovulation tests the last 2 months.
    Now, the problem is that I'm ovulation way too early, last month it was 11 days after the first day of my period, this month it was 9 days!
    I read up a bit about it and this seems to be an issue. The normal range seem to vary between 10-18 days, so anything before 10 days might cause a problem.

Have anyone had any similar experiences?

I'm just feeling so frustrated at this stage, even though I know 2 months of trying is not long, but after losing our son I just want to get pregnant straight away....

My OPK always spiked at 10dpo or 11dpo. Even when I was getting fertilty treatment so it was never an issue. In fact, the LH surge occurs before ovulation. Its not actually the ovulation itself that the test shows, its the pre-ovulation hormones to remind you to get jiggy in the next few days.

For example, on my lucky cycle, I got ovulation pain on the Monday on the left side. I was annoyed as I thought the Clomid had messed things up, and that on my scheduled scan I'd be told we missed ovulation. On Wednesday morning I got my internal scan which showed 2 mature and 1 slightly immature follicles, so we got the go ahead to take the trigger shot to induce ovulation that evening. When I mentioned the pain to the nurse, she explained the pain is not the egg being released, but the follicles growing.Between Thursday afternoon and before midnight on Friday that week was our "window" for the egg to be present, and exactly 14 days after I took that trigger shot, I tested positive.

So, even though I got the pain on the Monday, it was Friday before the eggs were there to be fertilised. Had I been testing with OPK's I probably would have had my LH surge Tuesday/Wednesday.

But looking back at my diary, I usually got that pain around days 9-11 and a positive OPK then too.

My cycles were short - averaging 26 days, so I had a very short pre-ovulation time frame.

Neyite wrote: »
    My OPK always spiked at 10dpo or 11dpo. Even when I was getting fertilty treatment so it was never an issue. In fact, the LH surge occurs before ovulation. Its not actually the ovulation itself that the test shows, its the pre-ovulation hormones to remind you to get jiggy in the next few days.

For example, on my lucky cycle, I got ovulation pain on the Monday on the left side. I was annoyed as I thought the Clomid had messed things up, and that on my scheduled scan I'd be told we missed ovulation. On Wednesday morning I got my internal scan which showed 2 mature and 1 slightly immature follicles, so we got the go ahead to take the trigger shot to induce ovulation that evening. When I mentioned the pain to the nurse, she explained the pain is not the egg being released, but the follicles growing.Between Thursday afternoon and before midnight on Friday that week was our "window" for the egg to be present, and exactly 14 days after I took that trigger shot, I tested positive.

So, even though I got the pain on the Monday, it was Friday before the eggs were there to be fertilised. Had I been testing with OPK's I probably would have had my LH surge Tuesday/Wednesday.

But looking back at my diary, I usually got that pain around days 9-11 and a positive OPK then too.

My cycles were short - averaging 26 days, so I had a very short pre-ovulation time frame.
    Oh thank you, I didn't actually know that! I thought the ovulation tests would only show up positive the day of your ovulation really. So in that case it might not be as bad as I thought :)

I'm just trying to keep track of everything now, just in case I don't get pregnant in the next few months.

I also get quite bad pains when I'm ovulating, so I don't even think i need to keep using them.

ILoveToast wrote: »
    Oh thank you, I didn't actually know that! I thought the ovulation tests would only show up positive the day of your ovulation really. So in that case it might not be as bad as I thought :)

I'm just trying to keep track of everything now, just in case I don't get pregnant in the next few months.

I also get quite bad pains when I'm ovulating, so I don't even think i need to keep using them.

As far as I know, you usually have about 48hrs from the OPK positive for the egg to be in position. The sperm ideally should already be there to meet it. Since the egg lasts 12 hrs, and the sperm can last for up to 4/5 days, it makes sense to think of it that way.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    As far as I know, you usually have about 48hrs from the OPK positive for the egg to be in position. The sperm ideally should already be there to meet it. Since the egg lasts 12 hrs, and the sperm can last for up to 4/5 days, it makes sense to think of it that way.

True, thank you for your help :)
    The ovulation tests usually show up positive for 3 days for me, I have been using the digital tests and got a 'happy face' 3 days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Berylllzc

Great thread!! I trust it will helps a lot of people! Has anyone here know if i can pregnant when i am breastfeeding??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Berylllzc wrote: »
    Great thread!! I trust it will helps a lot of people! Has anyone here know if i can pregnant when i am breastfeeding??

If you are exclusively breastfeeding on demand there is less of a chance but it's not impossible & it has happpened!

Berylllzc wrote: »

I did. And I had trouble conceiving the first time around.

If you are constantly feeding, and baby is not taking any formula or solids that would reduce the milk intake, your prolactin levels would remain high, hindering ovulation. If you are giving some formula or baby has dropped a feed then you may still be able to ovulate and therefore conceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

god i want to scream we finally got our apt for the hari clinic for may 2014 yes you read that right 2014 over a year away i dont know what to do do i curl up and cry or just accept it and save like crazy to afford any treatment we may need.
    i was crying most of the day yesterday as i had myself all geared up for it being this year but my gp didnt listen me when we said we wanted to go privately and yet we got sent a public apt.
    i just needed to rant cause im sick of things not going right between my elbow not healing right and now us and im stealing charlottes from sex and the city line here reproductively challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

carlyam2 wrote: »
    god i want to scream we finally got our apt for the hari clinic for may 2014 yes you read that right 2014 over a year away i dont know what to do do i curl up and cry or just accept it and save like crazy to afford any treatment we may need.
    i was crying most of the day yesterday as i had myself all geared up for it being this year but my gp didnt listen me when we said we wanted to go privately and yet we got sent a public apt.
    i just needed to rant cause im sick of things not going right between my elbow not healing right and now us and im stealing charlottes from sex and the city line here reproductively challenged.

My friends sister got her appointment last week for april 2014 too.she's going to save for the year.as far as i know you can go privately yourself you just need to get your test results and what ever else you need from your doctor to take with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Ah Jesus carlyam2, you are really having a right old time. Not sure if it will help but I am going to the Merdian clinic, there is a 3-4 month waiting list. If you haven't your heart set on the HARI there might be a few places with shorter lists? How is your elbow, hope you are feeling better pet xxx

thanks girls.

after thinking and talking bout it all with the husband we are going to save for the year and get our own heads around all of this.
    while i had an inkling we would end up down the road my poor husband in his innocence i think thought it would happen on its own for us so the year to work through all issues we may have or thoughts on stuff will only help us.
    as for the elbow im just a bit fed up waiting on it to be all better and sick of it being bent at like a 35degree angle.
    how is everyone else getting on? am looking forward to happy news from people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

thanks girls.

after thinking and talking bout it all with the husband we are going to save for the year and get our own heads around all of this.
    while i had an inkling we would end up down the road my poor husband in his innocence i think thought it would happen on its own for us so the year to work through all issues we may have or thoughts on stuff will only help us.
    as for the elbow im just a bit fed up waiting on it to be all better and sick of it being bent at like a 35degree angle.
    how is everyone else getting on? am looking forward to happy news from people :)

Hi Carly, it's so crap to have to wait that long for an appt. without getting too personal, I think the biggest driver for be in choosing private v public would be age. If age is on your side, take your time to get your head around things and try to relax for the next year. Stranger things have happened when you allow your head done time to de-stress.

• Advertisement

im 30 so i have a little time and at least it gives us the time to save as well. it also gives me the chance to lose the weight without being told since ive been dying of boredom at home my loving hubby bought me a treadmill now i did ask him so its helping with the exercise routine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement