Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ILoveToast

@stickybean-I would also recommend vitamin b, I take b6, it definitely helped with my energy levels.

Something that has helped me sooo much is that we recently got a puppy, it really made my mood so much better overall. I have just been so stressed out and upset after we lost our son.
    So I'm finally feeling more positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

stickybean wrote: »

Ah I see where I am going wrong, I keep starting with number 4 - Lol!!

can I ask what Vit B supplement you take?

Thanks xxx

I take the Sona B Complex. It has 400mg of folic acid too so at least saves on buying a second supplement.

I also started bootcamp last night which should (hopefully) go someway to taking the edge off PMS.
    I wanted to get muscle tone back again anyway and having farted about with thoughts of doing it, I decided last night to seize the moment.
    Feel like I was in a car crash today but it was great to get the endorphin rush again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

Hi all,

I've been following this thread now since the middle of last year. I've read some very sad & very happy posts here, there seems to be a great support network on the thread. We've decide to start trying for a family now & it's all pretty new to me. I just wanted to ask those of you who seem to have a wealth of knowledge/experience on all of this for some advice....my cycle seems to last anywhere between 23 to 30 days. Can this pose a problem and is it considered an irregular cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I have irregular cycles but still managed to conceive on the second month of trying.
    I would recommend investing in some ovulation predictor strips (you can buy them cheaply online from the likes of ebay) which will allow you to know for sure when you're ovulating as with an irregular cycle it can vary a bit.
    You should get a positive on the strips the before & the day of ovulation so it's recommended you have sex the day before, the day of & the day after you ovulate, then have a days' rest & have sex the following day to increase you're chances of catch the egg.

Best of luck

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

jack01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been following this thread now since the middle of last year. I've read some very sad & very happy posts here, there seems to be a great support network on the thread. We've decide to start trying for a family now & it's all pretty new to me. I just wanted to ask those of you who seem to have a wealth of knowledge/experience on all of this for some advice....my cycle seems to last anywhere between 23 to 30 days. Can this pose a problem and is it considered an irregular cycle?

Welcome to TTC Chat :)

you'll find that even irregular cycles have a pattern. By using the ovulation predictor tests (tip, get the dippy ones online as they are for cents each rather than the chemist ones that cost a fortune) you'll start to see something, and it helps maximise your chances of knowing when you are most fertile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I have irregular cycles (I kept track for a year and they were between 25 and 40 days. I conceived the first month if trying! However hospital did note that my cycles were irregular and at 20 weeks they pushed my due date back by a week after my scan. So irregular cycles (and I would class varying by 23 to 30 days as irregular) may mean it's harder to tell when you're ovulating /got pregnant. I was going to use the ovulation sticks after the first month ( I was sure it would take us ages) but we just got lucky :) best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

Hi all,
    thanks for all the responses it's great to get some advice. I have got the ovulation kits and will start using them. Will keep an eye here as always & will prob post some more myself as time goes on. Best of luck to all ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I came off the pill last October and periods have been all over the place. I had cycles of 18d, 22d, 13d, 10d (!!) and then started acupuncture and taking Dong Quai and drinking raspberry tea and next cycle was 45 days! What a change. I'm on CD9 now and hoping this month's will be something normal - not 10 days but not 45 either! Happy medium please !!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Neyite wrote: »
    Welcome to TTC Chat :)

you'll find that even irregular cycles have a pattern. By using the ovulation predictor tests (tip, get the dippy ones online as they are for cents each rather than the chemist ones that cost a fortune) you'll start to see something, and it helps maximise your chances of knowing when you are most fertile.

Neyite - I have some boxes of ovulation predictor tests to give away (and 1 digital pregnancy test). I am very luckily pregnant with my rainbow baby and would like to pass them on to someone here. Do you already have a system for this? I'll post them to wherever at no cost to whoever gets them..

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite - I have some boxes of ovulation predictor tests to give away (and 1 digital pregnancy test). I am very luckily pregnant with my rainbow baby and would like to pass them on to someone here. Do you already have a system for this? I'll post them to wherever at no cost to whoever gets them..

I dont think there is a system. I myself ordered 120 OPK and 80 HPT in december and they arrived the week my period didnt. Unfortunately just as I had them boxed up to return to the company (they can refund any that are still sealed) when I miscarried. So, I'm well stocked, but I suppose if any posters are interested they could PM you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope it goes well for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Thanks Neyite,
    I remember you from the september thread, and I'm so sorry for your loss. (I was originally supposed to be a Feb mum myself)

Ok, so anyone else - if you'd like to pm me I'll post on what I have (about 50 opk plus the pg test I think).

If you could post once you pm me too so everyone else knows they are gone thanks. I wont be logging on again until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raya100

Hi All,

This is my first post although I've been an avid follower of this forum for some time & throughout all the highs & lows you guys have been of great support to each other.

Myself & my husband have been TTC for 18 months now, were both 33 & really want children.

I have had irregular cycles my whole life & am lucky if I get even 4 periods a year. I have no idea if im even ovulating at this stage & the continuous negative results on OPK tests are just leaving me totally deflated.

In the last 6 months I have only had one positive OPK result & although we tried hard nothing became of it.

I went to our Doc back in January to discuss where to go next, she scheduled me for day 2-3 bloods & at the moment Im into day 73 of my cycle waiting on next period to arrive so I can have these bloods taken!!

Its so depressing just having this constant wait, my cycles are anywhere between 41 (shortest) & 121 (longest) days so unlike alot of you I dont even have any idea of when I could be ovulating.

The OPK & basal temp tests are driving me demented at the moment, it just seems a constant battle.

Its great to be able to speak about it though & know that Im not on my own when it comes to this. Seems like everyone around me is pregnant at the moment & everyday someone else is breaking their exciting news, all my siblings have children & Im the eldest of 4 & the only one without a child, its just awful been constantly asked when were gonna get started.. nobody knows what were going through! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Thanks Neyite,
    I remember you from the september thread, and I'm so sorry for your loss. (I was originally supposed to be a Feb mum myself)

Ok, so anyone else - if you'd like to pm me I'll post on what I have (about 50 opk plus the pg test I think).

If you could post once you pm me too so everyone else knows they are gone thanks. I wont be logging on again until tomorrow.

Hi I just pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi to all the newbies. We're half way through our first cycle back on treatment, first injection of hcg tonight, 3 more to go over the next week. We're viewing this as a 10 month treatment as it's not a failure unless it hasn't worked at the end of 10 months. Fingers crossed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Big Welcome to all the new TTCer's :)

Fingers crossed for you barbiegirl xxx

I had my scan last week, was supposed to be an internal ultra sound but they did an external ultra sound first and were able to see enough from that. Turns out I have a clear left ovary and a few very tiny cysts on my right ovary (but they assured me this is nothing to worry about). SO they have now ruled out PCOS. Started the clomid last week and got a positive ovulation reading today so looks like the clomid is doing it's jobs so far. First time every to ovulate CD 13 / 14.

I have had the worst pain all down my right side all day. Apparently this can happen if you have a good ovulation, who knew?

Really praying this is our month, crossing everything (except the legs - Lol!!!)

Babydust to all xxx

Its great to get the ovulation pain Stickybean eh? It kind of gives you hope, if you know what I mean.

CD2 for me. We havent been trying since the MC in Jan. but I'm ready to go again so maybe we will start trying this month.

Barbiegirl, what are the HCG jabs for?

Hi to the Newbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It's been very quiet in here - nice to see some activity :) I would love to get pregnant this cycle for the very sentimental reason that my EDD would be the same as my mam had on me! Trying a modified vision of sperm meets egg this month... Haven't bought any OPKs yet, don't want to get bogged down in them yet but using CM and temps to roughly pinpoint when I ovulate so we'll see how we get on!

It's been very quiet in here - nice to see some activity :) I would love to get pregnant this cycle for the very sentimental reason that my EDD would be the same as my mam had on me! Trying a modified vision of sperm meets egg this month... Haven't bought any OPKs yet, don't want to get bogged down in them yet but using CM and temps to roughly pinpoint when I ovulate so we'll see how we get on!

Its tempting to want to conceive a certain month, but I found it added to my stress when I started thinking "if I get pregnant this month, I'll have a christmas baby" or "if I get pregnant this month, it might share a birthday with [insert deceased loved on]" and I would get my hopes up.

A poster here told me instead of imagining a pregnancy, to imagine tucking my future child into bed, or reading them a story or whatever. Basically to create a lovely daydream of a non specific age of child, and so I did, and instead of thinking "oh, if I get pregnant we'll have a baby for christmas, I would daydream of a little boy or girl of about 3/4 years of age being all excited that santa came. Does that make sense?

Best of luck, and I do hope you get your lucky one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raya100

Thanks for the welcome all & best of luck Barbiegirl & Stickybean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Barbiegirl, what are the HCG jabs for?
    The first one to aid with ovulation, then I take three smaller ones on peak plus 3,5 and 7 to support the lutteral phase. It's the Napro way of doing things. I know I always ovulate but we have a scan tomorrow just to check and ensure all is as it should be. With the amounts taken over stimulation or too many follicles shouldn't be an issue though at this stage I'm sure I could handle multiples well up to 3 anyway. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Sorry just realised I should have introduced myself...
    Hi everyone, I'm 33 hubbie 34 been ttc for about 4 months now. Came off the pill after about 10 years of being on various ones, Nuvaring for the last 2 years. The problem I'm having is that my cycles are pretty crazy, since coming off nuvaring I've had 18 days, 22 days, 13 days, 10 days, 25 days (started acupuncture & supplements at this stage) then 45 days, and finally 15 days (just got it this morning, so disappointed :-(
    The supplements I'm taking are Dong Quai and raspberry leaf tea as recommended by my acupuncturist. I've seen alot of people talk about crazily long cycles on here, but very few talk about crazily short cycles. I've never had a positive on an OPK test yet :-(

Anyway I think I'm starting to realise that there is a trigger for the crazy short cycles - the 13 day'er followed by the 10 day'er happened around Xmas when I had family stress. And this morning when the cursed AF arrived on day 16, it was after a stressful Easter weekend with my inlaws and argument with OH last night....it's clear that stress for some reason causes me to have an early period. Seems crazy but it's the only conclusion I can come to!
    I'm currently working my way through this forum and am up to page 290 - some of your stories are heartbreaking but what has really struck me is how incredibly brave you all are, dusting yourself off and trying again and again - Ye truly are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your stories xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Its tempting to want to conceive a certain month, but I found it added to my stress when I started thinking "if I get pregnant this month, I'll have a christmas baby" or "if I get pregnant this month, it might share a birthday with [insert deceased loved on]" and I would get my hopes up.

A poster here told me instead of imagining a pregnancy, to imagine tucking my future child into bed, or reading them a story or whatever. Basically to create a lovely daydream of a non specific age of child, and so I did, and instead of thinking "oh, if I get pregnant we'll have a baby for christmas, I would daydream of a little boy or girl of about 3/4 years of age being all excited that santa came. Does that make sense?

Best of luck, and I do hope you get your lucky one soon.

Feeling premenstrual and a little disappointed that it means I'm not pregnant and so did the baby day dreaming as suggested above.
    Bloody hell its dangerous.:o
    I got so carried away in this dream that I pictured myself telling my imaginary oldest daughter that I was going to have a baby brother or sister for her and that I loved her lots.
    Quite the imagination Ms. Penny Dreadful has going on:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BIFFOS

Has anyone had experience in the Galway clinic we were there for the last year had paid them had to stick with them we were fraught with problems some couldn’t be helped some were completely unprofessional on their behalf we just had our first failed cycle . :mad:
    I am considering moving to the Sims clinic we have heard one or two good things about them anyone have experience with them too? DH wants to give Galway one more chance but like other people here I feel it’s a lot of money if they are not professional. Really wish Ireland would regulate this service, give people at least one free chance like they do in England.
    :confused:

Lucuma, I was told to stay away from raspberry leaf tea when i was going through my first IVF cycle don’t know why but was?

BIFFOS wrote: »
    Has anyone had experience in the Galway clinic we were there for the last year had paid them had to stick with them we were fraught with problems some couldn’t be helped some were completely unprofessional on their behalf we just had our first failed cycle . :mad:
    I am considering moving to the Sims clinic we have heard one or two good things about them anyone have experience with them too? DH wants to give Galway one more chance but like other people here I feel it’s a lot of money if they are not professional. Really wish Ireland would regulate this service, give people at least one free chance like they do in England.
    :confused:

I went to Galway. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I found the opposite, they were very professional in my case. I was very happy with the treatment, explanations and care given on every appointment I had, and I have friends who have had many failed cycles with them and are still happy that they got the best treatment.

I went to Galway. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I found the opposite, they were very professional in my case. I was very happy with the treatment, explanations and care given on every appointment I had, and I have friends who have had many failed cycles with them and are still happy that they got the best treatment.

Thanks neyite for your reply, I guess it was a combination of things for us we were cancelled 3 times 2 in the end needn't have been as finally they went ahead with the same problem. On our first visit we waited 4 hours too. So I guess preception and impressions are everything. we still have to have our review meeting with them till then they have the benefit of the doubt, and good to hear your story too. We are checking out other clinics maybe its psychological but when things click its a better feeling all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

BIFFOS wrote: »
    Lucuma, I was told to stay away from raspberry leaf tea when i was going through my first IVF cycle don’t know why but was?

+1 on avoiding the rAspberry leaf tea. It's supposed to bring on early labour, it's something I would defo avoid if trying to conceive.

Girls just wanted to let the newer people on here know about the "pink pad" app, I know it was mentioned a few pages back, but I have just started properly using it and find it very good - its a free app you can use for tracking periods, ovulation, symptoms etc :)

pwurple wrote: »
    +1 on avoiding the rAspberry leaf tea. It's supposed to bring on early labour, it's something I would defo avoid if trying to conceive.

Is raspberry tea not used to help bring on labour?

• Advertisement

Feeling premenstrual and a little disappointed that it means I'm not pregnant and so did the baby day dreaming as suggested above.
    Bloody hell its dangerous.:o
    I got so carried away in this dream that I pictured myself telling my imaginary oldest daughter that I was going to have a baby brother or sister for her and that I loved her lots.
    Quite the imagination Ms. Penny Dreadful has going on:eek:

I remembered reading this, I had a dream about 3 weeks ago that I got a BFP, the next morning I woke up still believing it and wanted to tell people, took me a while to come around. My daughter often says to me I love being an only child, some day (soon please God), she will get a shock :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement