Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

It would be imprudent to rule out the Power. A long format and there'd be nowhere better to bounce back. Saying that it is bloody hard to call. Lewis saves his best for this event and I think the long format suits him. Drifts in and out of games too much but the longer the match the more opportunity he has to hit those purple patches where he is frankly unstoppable.

I'm ruling out MvG right here. Two brilliant tournaments but this is the World's- another thing entirely. He's not exactly convincing on doubles at the best of times and despite being a high scorer this will prove his downfall imo.

The Hammer could well go a long distance again, he's gritty and tough to break down over the long format. It's a mental slog up on stage against him and he'll have a say in the latter stages me feels.

Would love to see Whitlock or Jenkins win it. Don't think Barney will have enough mentally and Ando is far too inconsistent and switches off way too much on stage. Can Terry win his first ever major? He'll win one imo but I just don't see him having the bottle to do it on the biggest stage possible. It'll take a mammoth effort to eliminate him though

I think it's between Lewis, Taylor and Whitlock. I'll go for the former. Just.

Dangerous floaters could be Johnny Part and Justin Pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I'll be backing Marvyn King at 50s for value. Overpriced IMO and well capable of beating anyone when playing at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Degag wrote: »
    I'll be backing Marvyn King at 50s for value. Overpriced IMO and well capable of beating anyone when playing at his best.

Each way? I can't see Marvyn winning a world IMO.

Is Taylor the best price he has ever been in the last 10 years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Gotya wrote: »

Best price ever surely!

This could very well end up like 2008 with no stand out performer and a lot of shocks! Funnily that was actually my favourite world champ!

The crowd gets to King too much. He'll come nowhere near winning imo

Lewis will have to step it (back) up. This is really a hard one to call.

I still think he has the best walk-on music :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6U-FY9uNRg&feature=my_favorites&list=FL3d8ZxWLA5Up_j_tkl6xAcg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

PDC World Championship 2013

Betting odds,

Phil Taylor @3/1

Michael van Gerwen @371/100

Adrian Lewis @11/1

Raymond van Barneveld @12/1

Simon Whitlock @14/1

http://www.easyodds.com/sports-betting/darts-betting/tournaments/pdc-world-darts-championship/outright/outright-winner.html

Interestingly, i notice Scott Waites is quoted at 100/1 in some places for some reason.
    i presume even if he did make the switch he wouldnt be elegible to play in the worlds at this late stage

Interestingly, i notice Scott Waites is quoted at 100/1 in some places for some reason.
    i presume even if he did make the switch he wouldnt be elegible to play in the worlds at this late stage

100/1..... I thought the bookies were tight but for a lad that's not even in it, they have him at 100/1. They don't take many chances do they :rolleyes:

100/1..... I thought the bookies were tight but for a lad that's not even in it, they have him at 100/1. They don't take many chances do they :rolleyes:

there'll probably still be a few quid thrown on him:D
    i reckon i'll have a few small bets on a few long shots e/w
    hamilton @33s and huybrects @50s
    painter @125/1 with sky bet is tempting

Think I'll have an e/w bet on the 3 Scots, Anderson, Thornton and Wright. I don't even know what e/w means in darts as I never bet! Does it mean finalist only or do semi finalists see a payout?

A tenner on the first two and 5 on Snakebite.

I don't have a clue about betting, don't expect any of them to win, think one of them - again the first 2 - might have a run to the semis. As for Wright, that's just for fun really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Each way of course yeah. Alot of players alot worse than King have gotten to finals and semi finals over the years. Its a cracking price imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Does anyone think Gary Anderson could be an outside bet for the World Championship? Granted the lad has had a terrible year on the tour but there was some signs at the Grand Slam of him getting back to some of his old form. I'll wait to see how he does in the Players Championship first though before I decide to put a bet on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ive bet on Jackpot the last 2 years, and what the hell I will go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Treble20 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Gary Anderson could be an outside bet for the World Championship? Granted the lad has had a terrible year on the tour but there was some signs at the Grand Slam of him getting back to some of his old form. I'll wait to see how he does in the Players Championship first though before I decide to put a bet on him.

No.Wouldnt back him even with a free bet.

Very nearly had a 10/1 bet come in against him in the first round last year and my bet would be to back whoever he plays in either round 1 or 2(if he gets that far).his record for such a great player is shocking.absolute nothing players have beaten him in the last deacde - Nagy, Essers, Roosenbrand, and nearly Artut last year.I wouldnt rule it out happening again.

By all means if he gets off to a good start go for it but of all players he is the least reliable in world championships.

Robert Thornton was a semi finalist both days in the floor events in Barnsley this weekend,beaten 6-5 in both semis by Taylor but is playing very well at the moment and would possibly be better fancied than Anderson to cause an upset and win Ally Pally.

The World Championship draw takes place tomorrow on Sky Sports news at around 11 30am I think. Phil Taylor will be the hot favourite after his weekend victory. Gary Anderson showed signs again of improving form over the weekend reaching the quarter finals. Whitlock had some brilliant averages over the weekend until he came up against Taylor.

Van Gerwen and Barney both exited early. Personally I don't think Barney has a chance of winning Ally Pally despite his win in the Grand Slam Of Darts recently. Van Gerwen has had a few great months however I feel he's losing a bit of form just at the wrong time and he might have to wait till 2014 to win the World crown.

Adrian Lewis is going for 3 in a row titles. Adrian's form has been poor since his win in Ally Pally last January. in the weekend gone he bowed out in the 2nd round to Taylor. However Lewis had a hectic weekend with his wife giving birth early Saturday morning and I'm sure this tournament was the last thing on his mind! Personally I still think Lewis has a great chance of winning Ally Pally. He comes across as though he puts all his resources towards the World Championship. With his newly born son and wife home Lewis can now concentrate on the big one. Lewis will be hard to beat in Ally Pally I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Phil Taylor (1) v Michael Mansell
    Wayne Jones (32) v Jerry Hendriks
    Robert Thornton (17) v Magnus Caris
    Paul Nicholson (16) v Co Stompe
    Andy Hamilton (8) v James Richardson
    Richie Burnett (25) v James Hubbard
    Terry Jenkins (9) v Steve Brown
    John Part (24) v Joe Cullen

Simon Whitlock (5) v Muramatsu/Harrington
    Colin Osborne (28) v Ilagan/Lewis
    Dave Chisnall (12) v Shane Tichowitsch
    Andy Smith (21) v Gurney/Marijanovic
    Gary Anderson (4) v Komula/Haavisto
    Jamie Caven (29) v Rodriguez/Bowles
    Raymond van Barneveld (13) v Michael Smith
    Brendan Dolan (20) v Mark Jones

Adrian Lewis (2) v Gino Vos
    Denis Ovens (31) v Hopp/Pietersen
    Kevin Painter (15) v Welge/Chun Nam
    Ronnie Baxter (18) v Dennis Priestley
    Michael van Gerwen (7) v Lim/Latif Sapup
    Peter Wright (26) v Arron Monk
    Colin Lloyd (23) v Darin Young
    Mark Webster (10) v Ian White

Wes Newton (6) v Johnny Haines
    Kim Huybrechts (27) v Scott Rand
    Justin Pipe (11) v Andy Jenkins
    Mark Walsh (22) v Darren Webster
    James Wade (3) v Peter Hudson
    Steve Beaton (30) v Kyle Anderson
    Mervyn King (14) v Dean Winstanley
    Vincent Van Der Voort (19) v Stuart Kellet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The PDC have unveiled the new Sid Waddell trophy that the winner of the World Championships will receive.

It's a very nice gesture on behalf of the PDC to name it after Sid.

http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1gkoqct4583f11a2cupx6rzg72/title/sid-waddell-trophy-unveiled

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Would have thought Jocky would be more appropriate as 2 time World Champion and founding member of PDC. Sid was a good commentator but to name the trophy after him...not so sure about that one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sid did more for the sport of darts than Jocky ever did. He got the sport on the TV and promoted it tirelessly. There is no way that darts would be as popular as it is now if it wasn't for Sid.

Wasn't a fan of his commentary though :)

Nightmare draw for Mickey Mansell,although if there is ever a good time to play Taylor it would be in the first round:)
    Good chance for Gurney though,
    dont know anything about mark jones that Brendan Dolan got,i suppose hes no mug if he's there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Its a nice gesture but changing the trophy is sacrilege in my book.

Webster and King will be cursing the draw the most im guessing.

VVDV could have a tricky one as well, wasn't so long ago Kellet was second fav for the BDO World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Sid did more for the sport of darts than Jocky ever did. He got the sport on the TV and promoted it tirelessly. There is no way that darts would be as popular as it is now if it wasn't for Sid.

Wasn't a fan of his commentary though :)

i agree , sid did so much for darts in terms of making it a popular viewing sport and made it exciting for viewers. he commentated in every world championship from the beginning, except the 1994 pdc wc , well he couldnt do both could he, sid could see the pdc and sky represented the future and he soon joined the pdc.

also the indoor league in the early seventies where darts on tv was put on a trial run, sid commentated on the games, his commentary style together with flair players like alan glazier and alan evans along with lowe, bristow and leighton rees helped darts become a success as a tv sport , following in the steps of snooker. sid was one of the main reasons for that so this imo is a fitting tribute to sid whether you liked him or not really. as much as i liked jocky , i think sid will be missed more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

With so many big names in the top half of the draw theres good value in the bottom half .
    Especially quarter 4.

King is 50/1,Pipe is 66/1

quarter 4 winner will probably play Lewis or Van Gerwen in the semi final
    but it would be the biggest surprise if neither of those two made the semi final either.

I have feeling it will be a year of upsets this year.

Hamilton 40/1 aswell looks big to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭seanm92

Dammit, really hoped Per Laursen would qualify this year, and hopefully bring along his daughter :P

Some sad news as Kim Huybrechts father passed away suddenly yesterday. A sad time for Kim and his family just before the start of the World Championship.

Just under 48 hours to go to Ally Pally. Feature game Friday night is Adrian Lewis v Gino Vos. The reigning World champ should win this 1st round game easily enough. Backed him on Monday at 12/1 in Ladbrokes. Even though he's had a poor year since winning the World Championship last January he seems to reserve his best form for Ally Pally and I think he will go all out to do 3 titles in a row,he'll be hard to beat IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Anyone find a website showing the draw with top & bottom sections?

Always like to have a look at that before doing my bets

Cant wait til this kicks off on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Lewis at 12/1. Hamilton at 40/1. Two players with odds far too high. Got them both at each way. I might do one or two more bets when I get a good look at the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Is there anywhere that pays 4 places for e/w?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is there anywhere that pays 4 places for e/w?

Not to the best of my knowledge. All the major bookies I've checked pay top 2. Maybe one of the smaller ones might but I doubt it.

And to add to that, they all do top 2 places at half the odds. So I strongly reckon the answer is no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Sneaky few quid on Barney, just have a feeling that he's going to come good.........or it may just be a case of, A fool and his money!

Advertisement