Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I lash vinegar on everything tbf. It's probably one if the reason I never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

unkel wrote: »
    Frank's sauce is very acidic and it tastes of vinegar. By simmering the sauce / butter, some of the acid is burnt off.

But the vinegary-ness/acidity is the best part! When you take a big sniff and get that whack right in the corners of your mouth - love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Honey-ec wrote: »
    But the vinegary-ness/acidity is the best part!
    I like both ways, depend on what it is. I think it is so vinegary so it acts as a preservative, without the need for other chemicals.

I think the vinegar might put many off it, when they think it is meant to only be used neat, and never cook it up with butter..

rubadub wrote: »
    I like both ways, depend on what it is. I think it is so vinegary so it acts as a preservative, without the need for other chemicals.

I think the vinegar might put many off it, when they think it is meant to only be used neat, and never cook it up with butter..

I use it neat on loads of stuff and I actually add vinegar when I'm using it for wings. I have a thing for very sharp tastes, though. Once, in work, someone brought in these sour sweets that are actually meant to be used as a practical joke. I ate the whole bag :o

I have a thing for very sharp tastes, though.
    The 'fizz' in fizzy sweets is citric acid. If you go to the asian supermarkets you can get bags of it cheap, used for sweet & sour. Might be of interest to you. Its used on salt n vinegar crisps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Mellor wrote: »
    Question.
    Why simmer the sauce for 20 mins?
    I just mix melted butter and franks then toss the wings in it.

You know what, I cant remember whether its my own preference or to get them close to the E&Q taste as its so long since I've been there!:p

On another note, I regularly cook a version of TGI JD wings and deep frying doesn't work with the sauce. Blasting them as hot as possible for 30 mins in the oven works a treat.

Thanks for the heads up on the citric acid, Rubadub. So many possabilities with that stuff.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

iv heard the harbour master restaurant in the IFSC does amazing wings, can anyone confirm or deny this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You know what, I cant remember whether its my own preference or to get them close to the E&Q taste as its so long since I've been there!:p
    I've never been. I think i'd be let down at this stage.
    On another note, I regularly cook a version of TGI JD wings and deep frying doesn't work with the sauce. Blasting them as hot as possible for 30 mins in the oven works a treat.

I like ordering two type of contrasting wings where I can. One spicy, or sweet or BBQ'y

Showing on tesco online, it should show your local shop if you check.

Franks Xtra Hot 148Ml
    €2.99 (€2.03/100ml)

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce 354Ml Buffalo Wing
    €3.99 (€11.28/l)

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce Original 354Ml
    €3.99 (€11.28/l)

Its expensive, but I have not seen xtra hot in supermarkets. I just add chilli powder to regular stuff. It was €2 for the regular stuff in dunnes a few weeks back, not sure if the offer is still on, got 4-5 bottles myself, the best before is a long way off.

I've seen the extra hot in Tesco Lucan, Tallaght and Maynooth.

Also they've started to stock Chipotle Tobasco again. The stuff is epic!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sallywin

If you are using the oven would you wait until they are cooked, and then cover in the butter/franks mixture and put back in to oven for another couple of minutes?

sallywin wrote: »
    If you are using the oven would you wait until they are cooked, and then cover in the butter/franks mixture and put back in to oven for another couple of minutes?

Haven't tried it with the franks mix but sugar based sauces will simply run off the wings.

sallywin wrote: »

There's no need to put them back in the oven - hot wings, hot Franks & butter mix, toss, serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There's no need to put them back in the oven - hot wings, hot Franks & butter mix, toss, simmer to burn off excess acid, serve.

FYP :)

FYP :)

If one were into such crazy antics, wouldn't one simmer before tossing with the wings???!

Indeed. I fixed your post incorrectly :D

Did you never try to reduce the vinegar taste?

No, I add red wine vinegar to mine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

rubadub wrote: »
    Showing on tesco online, it should show your local shop if you check.

Franks Xtra Hot 148Ml
    €2.99 (€2.03/100ml)

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce 354Ml Buffalo Wing
    €3.99 (€11.28/l)

Franks Red Hot Pepper Sauce Original 354Ml
    €3.99 (€11.28/l)

Its expensive, but I have not seen xtra hot in supermarkets. I just add chilli powder to regular stuff. It was €2 for the regular stuff in dunnes a few weeks back, not sure if the offer is still on, got 4-5 bottles myself, the best before is a long way off.

Adding Cayenne pepper to the sauce would be closer to the xtra hot, as it's a cayenne based sauce. :D

That sharp vinegar note is one of the best things about buffao wings!

Not for me! :D

I was brought up on the continent where folks eat mayonnaise with their chips instead of vinegar :D

• Advertisement

Not for me! :D

I was brought up on the continent where folks eat mayonnaise with their chips instead of vinegar :D

weirdo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Chips + mayo rocks!

I eat my chips with both mayo and ketchup, alternating condiments between bites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Elephant & Castle . . .

The-Elephant-and-Castle-s-001.jpg

Chips + mayo rocks!

I eat my chips with both mayo and ketchup, alternating condiments between bites.

+1

Or even better, Friet Speciaal FTW :D

d017a57326f365d27a3da936085f9088_view.jpg

WilcoOut wrote: »
    iv heard the harbour master restaurant in the IFSC does amazing wings, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Big portion, not very good though. Lacks enough sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

anyone tried the new Dominos franks red hot wings? nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Piper101 wrote: »
    anyone tried the new Dominos franks red hot wings? nom nom nom

rip off - i wouldnt pay it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not a fan of dominos at all tbh, far too salty.

any time i've had it i always end up feeling hungover the next morning, which i've always assumed is due to taking in too much salt in their ingredients to make up for it being cheap shyte tey put in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Are these franks wings new on the dominos menu?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

aoa321 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know how they make / have a recipe for the very tasty chicken (buffalo) wings from the Elephant & Castle restaraunt in Dublin's Temple Bar.

Franks hot sauce - the original one and butter. Mix them together and add the wings after.

Advertisement