Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

songbirds wrote: »
    When the wings arrived they looked good enough. However, we then spent the next couple of minutes fighting over who got the "drumette" part of the wing, which is the best bit with most meat.

Funnily enough, in our house we fight over the flat part of the wing.
    Tastiest meat, though less of it than on your "drumette" part.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its a bit harsh to expect them to know which part (wingette or drumette) you prefer.
    One has more meat, the other more skin. If I was interested in the most meat, I wouldn't be ordering wings.

http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html

I thought of trying it a while ago, it's the method used my McDonalds to get fries crunchy, so figured it works with wings.

...but I never bother due to the hassle involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Mellor wrote: »
    http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html

I thought of trying it a while ago, it's the method used my McDonalds to get fries crunchy, so figured it works with wings.

...but I never bother due to the hassle involved.

Awesome. I gotta try this.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I just wouldn't be bothered. I like wings, but not that much. When I get a hankering on me I just go to Tribeca and let them do all the work.

Pizza dough, though. Now there's a topic on which I'm borderline obsessed...

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Pizza dough, though. Now there's a topic on which I'm borderline obsessed...

Lol...I've just learned to forget about that one as I will never own a Pizza oven.:P

Lol...I've just learned to forget about that one as I will never own a Pizza oven.:P

I suspect I'll be forced to the same conclusion eventually, but I'm nothing if not stubborn.

(OT, I know, but pizza done on a charcoal barbeque is the closest I've got to wood-oven taste at home. Definitely recommend trying it.)

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I just wouldn't be bothered. I like wings, but not that much. When I get a hankering on me I just go to Tribeca and let them do all the work...
    It's not that much hastle really. You can ore fry and freeze them to store, so they just need to go straight into the oil.

Or if the hankering takes you randomly. They take only a few minutes in the oil, or 40 in the oven. It's really easy to get them to a standard that's as good as all but the top couple of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone know a way of breaking down franks sauce to make it taste less of vinegar??

I have tried the read hot cayenne and buffalo. Added butter to the cayenne heated it in a pot and left it to simmer and if anything the taste of vinegar was worse..... Any ideas cause its turning me off using the sauce in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone know a way of breaking down franks sauce to make it taste less of vinegar??
    Ì have not tried it, but in another thread I mentioned you could possibly add a tiny bit of bread soda/baking soda/bicarbonate of soda, which should neutralise the acid.

Add too much and it will taste manky of course.

• Advertisement

I have tried the read hot cayenne and buffalo. Added butter to the cayenne heated it in a pot and left it to simmer and if anything the taste of vinegar was worse..... Any ideas cause its turning me off using the sauce in future.

I find if I up the unsalted butter to closer to half to Franks and simmer, with constant stirring, for about 30 mins it becomes way mellow. It takes a lot of the sting out of it but I'm not sure about the vinegary taste. That may be just part of its natural flavour.

Ive also had franks wings from domino s twice first time really nice flavour not over powering. Second time was as if they added vinegar to it!!

I hate the very over powering taste of vinegar that comes with this sauce.

It's a vinegar based sauce so might be hard to totally remove it. But I'd try boiling it before adding the butter. Just a few minutes then add tv butter.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a vinegar based sauce so might be hard to totally remove it. But I'd try boiling it before adding the butter. Just a few minutes then add tv butter.
    Actually done just this as u described and wasnt much of a change :pac:

Ah ill try it another time the wings just never taste as good as anything u get out. Taste always different i never get that vinegar taste when i eat out for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cannot understand how boiling Franks sauce could be a good idea, you are just boiling all the sauce away into thin air and you are left with a dry lump in the pot :confused:

Bateman wrote: »
    Cannot understand how boiling Franks sauce could be a good idea, you are just boiling all the sauce away into thin air and you are left with a dry lump in the pot :confused:

Maybe if you boil it for an hour you'll be left with a dry lump. I normally bring it to the boil then simmer for 15 mins with the unsalted butter. It takes the sting out of it and the slight reduction helps the sauce stick to the wings better. Simmer for another 10 to take a bit more bite out of the sauce.

Man I'd kill for some right now.:D

Going to Tribeca tonight. No need to even look at the menu.

I know I've said it before, but I actually add red wine vinegar to mine when I make them at home. I love that feeling when you take a big whiff and the sides of your mouth go "Whoa!"

I've no idea how you jumped to that conclusion.

The point was to boil off some of the vinegar, not all of the liquid. (I'm not convinced boiling would affect the vinegar, I never tried I love vinegar)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense at all as a statement. you do understand that boiling is a gradual process and that by removing the pot from the heat you can stop it at any time before you are left with that dry lump in the bottom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Is there any definite recipe that works for these,
    I'm more confused about how to make them than I was before from reading this thread!

• Advertisement

Is there any definite recipe that works for these,
    I'm more confused about how to make them than I was before from reading this thread!

It couldn't be simpler.

1. Wings, dusted in flour and refrigerated for an hour or so.
    2. Cook wings by either deep-frying or baking them.
    3. Melt a couple of dessertspoons of butter or margarine in a small pot.
    4. Stir in Frank's Red Hot Original til well combined. Taste and adjust ratio of butter to Frank's if needed.
    5. Optional: add a dash of red wine vinegar.
    6. Toss cooked wings in sauce.
    7. Eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

beaten to the punch! :)

i had it all typed out, but i got distracted with work and didn't post in time.

]pretty much as honey-ec says, but i'd add that to make your wings extra crispy to substitute about 1/3 of your flour with cornflour. also, if you like a bit more heat, rather than drowning them in franks (which isn't a bad thing, but you never know) you can add some smoked paprika or chilli powder etc. to the flour mixture if you fancy.

also, if you aren't a fan of the more vinegary side of things, you can just cook out the sauce for a little while until the butter start sto separate to remove some of the vinegar and it will mellow out nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cheers for the answers, mucho appreciated, tonight is the night I shall attack these!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I think you should soak them in brine for at least 3-4 hours before performing the steps above as per Momofuku recipe.
    It really makes the world of difference.

Honorable mention to the wings in The Larder on Parliament street, they really are great.

This thread has moved on from E&C I assume, it really is a pit.

No soaking or marinating if you want E+C style chicken wings. Gotta deep fry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Don't forget the cream cheese guys & gals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Anyone a fan of having their wings 'dirty' style?

Asked for them to be served that way for lunch today and the waitress looked at me like I had seven heads. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What's dirty style:)

Anyone a fan of having their wings 'dirty' style?

Asked for them to be served that way for lunch today and the waitress looked at me like I had seven heads. :(

:p You actually do have seven heads...until you explain!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Add the sauce to the wings first & then fry.

Advertisement