Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Camo22 wrote: »
    Franks hot sauce - the original one and butter. Mix them together and add the wings after.

That nicely sums up nearly 9 years and 571 posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Bateman wrote: »
    Are these franks wings new on the dominos menu?

Yep! But not quite as nice as elephant & castle, a tasty alternative though

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

unkel wrote: »
    That nicely sums up nearly 9 years and 571 posts :D

It's true!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's true!!

We know. We're laughing at the fact that you thought no-one had come up with that exact answer 9 years and 571 posts after the question was originally asked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's true!!
    Lol - we know its true ;)
    You haven't read the whole thread have you. That recipe has been posted countless times already. He was saying it was like a summary of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you forgot to mention that you should count your fingers when you're finished to make sure you're not missing any that might have gotten sauce all over them and inadvertantly got eaten! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smell of napalm

I love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Piper101 wrote: »
    anyone tried the new Dominos franks red hot wings? nom nom nom

I ordered them a couple of weeks ago - was pleasantly surprised how good they were.
    Now they won't win any awards but for wings that were made in a pizza takeaway and put in a box before being delivered to me, they were alright.
    I've certainly had a lot worse!

(I still make better wings myself at home though :D )

has anyone else tried my alternative of using de-boned chicken thighs yet?

myself an the OH both love making wings, but we always get roped into doing them whenever we get visitors which inevitably means my 12 year old niece pitching a fit if we don't have them on the menu when she comes round, but when she does, just taking one bite out of each wing and sucking the sauce off and leaving the rest, which is highly offensive to me as a wing lover, particularly as she hordes the last few when we're getting to the end. :mad:

anyway, the solution was to get thighs and remove the bone from the equation entirely.

personally i think thigh meat is the best part of a chicken anyway, so it's win win all around as far as i'm concerned.

it's simple enough to do, although it takes longer than just sectioning wings until you get the hang of it.

buy a pack or two of skin on, bone in thighs (sometimes labelled oyster thighs) from your local supermarket or butcher and lay each one on a chopping board skin side down and stretch out flat.

feel for the thigh bone inside the meat, score down either side of it and slip your finger in to pull the meat away from the bone.

one end will come away pretty easily, but the other will be attached to the bone with gristle, so i usually just cut it off with a knife and then cut out the left over hard bit still attached to the meat part afterwards.

once you've done that, cut the meat into 3rds and each bit is going to be approximately a wing sized bit of meat with skin on one side, but without the bone.

then its just a matter of cooking as normal and you'e all sorted with proper boneless buffalo wings. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Heroditas wrote: »

I ordered them a couple of weeks ago - was pleasantly surprised how good they were.
    Now they won't win any awards but for wings that were made in a pizza takeaway and put in a box before being delivered to me, they were alright.
    I've certainly had a lot worse!

(I still make better wings myself at home though :D )
    NO NO NO i had em last week and they were awful!! Very little sauce and very lazily done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

vibe666 wrote: »

myself an the OH both love making wings, but we always get roped into doing them whenever we get visitors which inevitably means my 12 year old niece pitching a fit if we don't have them on the menu when she comes round, but when she does, just taking one bite out of each wing and sucking the sauce off and leaving the rest, which is highly offensive to me as a wing lover, particularly as she hordes the last few when we're getting to the end. :mad:

Man I hear ya. I kinda got sick of them as we were making them all the time. But that **** with the leaving the meat on the bone kills me especially when there isn't really enough to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

anyway, the solution was to get thighs and remove the bone from the equation entirely.

personally i think thigh meat is the best part of a chicken anyway, so it's win win all around as far as i'm concerned.

it's simple enough to do, although it takes longer than just sectioning wings until you get the hang of it.

buy a pack or two of skin on, bone in thighs (sometimes labelled oyster thighs) from your local supermarket or butcher and lay each one on a chopping board skin side down and stretch out flat.

feel for the thigh bone inside the meat, score down either side of it and slip your finger in to pull the meat away from the bone.

one end will come away pretty easily, but the other will be attached to the bone with gristle, so i usually just cut it off with a knife and then cut out the left over hard bit still attached to the meat part afterwards.

once you've done that, cut the meat into 3rds and each bit is going to be approximately a wing sized bit of meat with skin on one side, but without the bone.

then its just a matter of cooking as normal and you'e all sorted with proper boneless buffalo wings. :)

Yup, switched to the thighs/oysters when I saw you mention it and we've been doing them like that most of the time since I can remember now. Had some last weekend for lunch actually served in flour tortilla wraps with lettuce, red onion, mayo and a little extra drizzle of franks. One box of thighs served 4 like this!

it's definitely worth doing and if you're stuck for time or are squeamish about de-boning the thighs yourself, just get them from your butcher (ask for oyster thighs) and ask him to do the hard work of taking out the bones, then ou just need to cut them into strips.

even better, once you get a taste for thigh meat, you'll want to be using it everywhere, there's much more flavour than breast imho. we use them in stir fries and curries and pretty much anything else that would normally require breast meat.

I actually got a massive box of thighs for €40 from my local wholesale meat supplier in dunshaughlin (farmhouse foods afaik, we moved a year ago, so it's no longer local to me) and they were happy to de-bone them for me. just make sure you get them to leave the skin on, you'll at least want the option for crispy skinon your wings.

we were a bit short on freezer space for a while there, but we just moved into a new place with more room so i might be hunting out a similar supplier in Dublin 15 soon, although i guess dunshaughlin is still only 20 mins down the road if i'm stuck.

oh, i nearly forgot why i came back to the thread in the first place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The thread that keeps on giving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My holy grail wasn't the Elephant and Castle wings as I am from cork but it was Buffalo wings at the East Village in Douglas, they are awesome well worth the trip for any body down here.

Anyway managed to perfect it last night, OH MY GOD they were outstanding.
    • Roll wings in flour with some seasoning
    • Fry until golden brown
    • Heat and simmer Frank sauce with some butter and toss wings in sauce.
    • Job Done, so simple

Did not bother with the blue cheese, Ill leave that for another day.

But after a couple tries, I think the key step for anybody is rolling the wings in flour and deep frying to get them crispy. THIS is the most important step I feel.

Knock your selves out lads.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

:D

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Anyway managed to perfect it last night, OH MY GOD they were outstanding.

Should of have check here sooner :D

Seriously though, it might be time to put a note in the first post

Mellor wrote: »

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Give an oven and a deep frying method and everyone will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not a bad idea! Will try to do it when I'm on my laptop later :D

i'd highly recommend 1/4 to 1/3 cornflour mixed with regular flour to get the coating extra crispy and maybe throw in a teaspoon of smoked paprika for extra flavour and colour to the flour.

also, if you're making the wings anyway and the fryer is already on, tossing in some buttermilk (or regular milk if you're stuck) into the leftover flour mixture makes a great batter (maybe even add a little baking powder to e sure) for onion rings or battered mushrooms etc. which only take a couple of minutes in the fryer whilst you're dressing the wings and will blow the socks off anything you'll find in any chipper. ;)

also (also), whilst i'm here, whole chicken pieces covered in buttermilk for 24 hours with a bouquet garni, then floured in the above flour mix and deep fried will result the best damned fried chicken you've ever had unless you've been to Kentucky or Louisiana or somewhere round those parts. :)

i'd highly recommend 1/4 to 1/3 cornflour mixed with regular flour to get the coating extra crispy and maybe throw in a teaspoon of smoked paprika for extra flavour and colour to the flour.

Thats exactly what I do (probably got it from you in an earlier post) except for the buttermilk. Must try that!

it's actually a great general purpose batter if you're in the mood for pretty much any sort of battered stuff, i've battered fish and sausages with it too and they come out great as well, it's very handy.

you just have to remember to flour everything first to make sure the batter sticks properly and don't be tempted to make it overly thick, i find that it works best (imho) at around a yoghurty consistency.

you can also play around with it and add your own seasonings depending on what you're cooking in it and how you like it, like a teaspoon of ground pepper or other herbs or spices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Found this thread while looking for something to do with the chicken wings I found in the fridge... Decided to have a wingathon, or as the missus called it 'u better clean the kitchen after you'... Tried a few different tips from the thread and added a few of my own ideas.

After 5 different batches best I found was this for the sauce
    Butter/Connacht Gold, 3-4 tablespoons
    Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce (Superquinn), 3-4 tablespoons (I made it 4 tablespoons of butter and 6 of Franks to make it hotter)
    White Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon

Use a 15ml tablespoon measure, if using an actual spoon be generous as most aren't 15ml.

In a frying pan, melt the butter completely on a low temp, add the white wine vinegar. This will curdle the butter - it will clump together. This gives the coating a batter-like look and texture. Add the sauce, stir to evenly distribute the butter for a few minutes.

I found leaving the sauce to sit for a while after simmering for around 10 mins makes a huge difference.. Butter starts to cool and makes the sauce thicker and stickier..

For the wings I coated them in Tex's Fried Chicken coating, fried them for 8 mins, pat dry and stick them in the pan with the sauce. The Tex's coating makes the wings nice and crispy and adds an extra bit of heat and flavour (and glorious e numbers!) to the wings..

For the dip I used Vibe666's tip of extra light mayo with water and a bit of blue cheese, mix it all together and it's exactly like the blue cheese dip u normally get with wings..

unklerosco wrote: »
    For the dip I used Vibe666's tip of extra light mayo with water and a bit of blue cheese, mix it all together and it's exactly like the blue cheese dip u normally get with wings..
    nice one rosco, nobody ever believes me about the blue cheese sauce being that easy, glad you gave it a shot! :D

where did you find the Tex's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

nice one rosco, nobody ever believes me about the blue cheese sauce being that easy, glad you gave it a shot! :D

where did you find the Tex's?

JC's in Swords... Best shop ever, they sell everything.

I like ordering two type of contrasting wings where I can. One spicy, or sweet or BBQ'y

Dont mean to go OT but this version of TGI's sauce is epic. Took a common net recipe and altered it a bit

1 teaspoon Onion Powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
    2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
    1/4-1/2 cup Jack Daniel's
    2 cups brown sugar
    1/4 cup water
    4 beef bouillon cubes
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    A good squirt of lemon juice.
    1/2 finely chopped red onion.
    Dash of Liquid Smoke if available.

Throw all into a medium pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 mins. Dont over do it or it will turn to caramel. Blast plain wings at max power for about 30 mins in oven then cover in the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If using thighs/oysters don't throw away the bone as it will still have some meat on it. Cook as normal, cover in sauce and enjoy. I call them the cooks special ..... ie. I eat them all myself, rest of them don't even know I cook them :D:D

• Advertisement

Had lunch at the Hard Rock today. Didn't fancy a main so got the wings, I'd say they were probably amount the best I've had. Butter n franks based obviously, but the spice level, vinegar taste, and the crispness of the wings was all spot on for my tastes.

Advertisement