Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

After years of reading this thread, I finally bought Frank's today :). It'll be a week or so before I try making wings, but I'm looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Go for it, Faith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yeah go for it. Its so simple. The hardest part is seperating the chicken wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Piper101 wrote: »
    anyone tried the new Dominos franks red hot wings? nom nom nom

I tried them recently - not half bad at all.

Pleasantly surprised.

Was in a restaurant couple of weeks ago and paid 16 euro for a large portion of wings as an app.

They were minituresque and woeful.

On the otherhand, Dominos wings hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yeah go for it. Its so simple. The hardest part is seperating the chicken wings.
    you just need a good sharp knife and to rest them down on their elbow with both halves forming a V shape (like they're going to arm wrestle) and cut straight down through the joint in between the bones and they will usually come apart very easily once you get the hang of it. :)

i'm thinking of getting a tefal actifry and seeing if i can make the wings more healthy (bloody new year diets!:mad:).

i think i have most of it in the bag though. if i use thigh meat with no skin on :( it should come out okay, i just need to find something other than flour to dust them with and something other than butter to add to the franks to coat them with.

it'll probably take some experimenting, but i reckon i can manage something quite palatable that won't clog the arteries quite so much. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    it'll probably take some experimenting, but i reckon i can manage something quite palatable that won't clog the arteries quite so much. :)

Meh, stick to the full fat version and just go for a 5k run before you eat them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Or even better, Friet Speciaal FTW :D

d017a57326f365d27a3da936085f9088_view.jpg

Belgium, yeah?

Want for lunch!:pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Meh, stick to the full fat version and just go for a 5k run before you eat them :D
    if i went for a 5k run chicken wings would be the last thing on my mind. i'd be more concerned with the searing pain up my left side and thumping sound in my chest as i laid on the ground at the side of the road gasping for air after the 1st 100 yards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

i just need to find something other than flour to dust them with and something other than butter to add to the franks to coat them with.

Seriously, the amount of flour that goes onto the wings is not going to have much of an effect on your health.

And I've blogged about it in the past, the buffalo sauce is one of the very few things that you can substitute crappy low-fat spread for real butter in with little or no difference in taste. It's the emulsifying effect that's important, the taste is really all coming from the Frank's anyway.

Anything other than Flora should be fine. I use the Aldi Kilkeely Gold light.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Seriously, the amount of flour that goes onto the wings is not going to have much of an effect on your health.

And I've blogged about it in the past, the buffalo sauce is one of the very few things that you can substitute crappy low-fat spread for real butter in with little or no difference in taste. It's the emulsifying effect that's important, the taste is really all coming from the Frank's anyway.

Anything other than Flora should be fine. I use the Aldi Kilkeely Gold light.
    i'm trying to keep it slimming world friendly for my wife (and me). :)

actually looking at flour and butter type products in the slimming world book, i think we could get away with a modest amount of low fat spread and a small amount of flour for dusting as long as i remove the skin from the thighs. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

Im going to have to try some of these recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i'm trying to keep it slimming world friendly for my wife (and me). :)

actually looking at flour and butter type products in the slimming world book, i think we could get away with a modest amount of low fat spread and a small amount of flour for dusting as long as i remove the skin from the thighs. :(
    The flour is optional imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mellor wrote: »
    The flour is optional imo

Flour & corn flour is necessary, in my opinion. Gives them the crispiness and peaks and valleys that the sauce clings to.

As regards diet, for the bit that is used, you could probably reduce in other areas. Or save for a cheat day.

Flour & corn flour is necessary, in my opinion. Gives them the crispiness and peaks and valleys that the sauce clings to.

If you can get the skin to crisp up and bluster it does the same job. I agree it's a tiny amount if flour, I just meant if you body had to avoid it (gluten free diet for example) it could be skipped. Where as wings, butter, and franks (or a variation of) are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭coffee to go

If you can get the skin to crisp up and bluster it does the same job. I agree it's a tiny amount if flour, I just meant if you body had to avoid it (gluten free diet for example) it could be skipped. Where as wings, butter, and franks (or a variation of) are a must.

We do Gluten Free wings all the time using either cornflour or Doves Farm GF or a mix of both. Lob some smoked paprika into the flour too.

i definitely think the flour/cornflour helps crisp them up and i have no doubt that it would do so even more in an actifry where there isn't the huge amount of oil to do the crisping part, particularly when i'll be using thigh meat with no skin on them, but it looks like i'll be able to use enough flour to do the job, plus a little low fat spread instead of butter and still keep it within the rules of the SW diet. :)

Using an actifry (near zero fat) compared with a deep fat fryer will make more of a difference in fat / calories than any other diet measures combined ;)

Let us know how you get on! I'm interested in that yoke but won't buy until I've heard a lot more experiences about them :)

My OH's dad swears by a halogen oven for wings. I haven't tried it myself (yet), but it wouldn't involve any fat, and gets hot enough to crisp things up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I didn't realise your could absolutely cock up chicken wings in Frank's like I did last night. I mean, how bad could they be? A little less crispy? A little burned? Too much butter? Not enough butter?
    They'll still taste good, surely?

Not if you do what I did last night, they won't.
    (although it's highly unlikely anyone would end up doing exactly as I did)

So, what did happen?

OK, somewhere on this thread is a link to a load of tests somebody did on ways to bake the wings and have them as crispy as fried. Best method was to dust the wings in bread soda, spread out and refrigerate. Then steam them. Then cool and refrigerate again on a rack and, finally, bake in a hot oven. Frank's, butter etc.

I've done it and it works very well.
    However, just baking them in a hot oven works very well too.

Last night I did a sort of hybrid version.
    I did the bread soda and fridge thing.
    I decided to skip the steaming - forgetting that the steaming would also wash off the bread soda. I did briefly think about the bread soda on the wings but kinda shrugged it off, thinking it wouldn't be tasted with the sauce.
    Wrong!!
    I also did a bit of a flour/cornflour dusting.
    Into a hot oven. Turned half way through.
    They looked really good.
    Into the Frank's and butter (with my special addition of a little tamarind extract and sugar).
    Onto the plate.

Fucying horrible!!
    Although I had put no salt on them (salt in the butter and Frank's, alright) all they tasted of was salt. No vinegar taste and almost no chilli. Just red and salty. Also, the flour dusting just wasn't nice when baked either.
    I think the bread soda (base) reacted with the vinegar in the Frank's (acid) to create something else that bonded with the flour for a very unpleasant wing.

I almost cried.
    Still ate them, though;)

As I said, unlikely anyone would have come up with that particular combination of stupid but now you know not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Had a look for the sauce in tescos in Omni - couldn't find it :(
    Where in Dublin currently stocks it? Anyone have a pic of what it looks like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

411KITrpIsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OK, somewhere on this thread is a link to a load of tests somebody did on ways to bake the wings and have them as crispy as fried. Best method was to dust the wings in bread soda, spread out and refrigerate. Then steam them. Then cool and refrigerate again on a rack and, finally, bake in a hot oven. Frank's, butter etc.

I've done it and it works very well.
    However, just baking them in a hot oven works very well too.
    The guy says baking soda leaves a bad taste, and baking powder gave good results. He mentioned steaming didnt change the results, but he never tried steam + soda. Interesting wash off theory.

My solution to the problem was to dry the wings with paper towels and bake at a hotter than normal temp. That way the outside cooks faster and skin dries quicker.

if you don't fancy deep frying them, aldi have a desktop halogen oven in their specials at the moment for €39.99 which should be able to get them good and crispy sans oil. :)

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20139.htm

Product_detail_Wk3S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The guy says baking soda leaves a bad taste, and baking powder gave good results. He mentioned steaming didnt change the results, but he never tried steam + soda. Interesting wash off theory.

My solution to the problem was to dry the wings with paper towels and bake at a hotter than normal temp. That way the outside cooks faster and skin dries quicker.
    Yeah, I was getting great results with just a hot oven but I just had to keep tinkering, didn't I. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VKenneally

This sounds great, coeliacs in our family so we avoid coated wings altogether, must try the doves flour mixed with paprika...yum!!

Tonight I attempted these. I coated wings in cornflour and left them to rest in the fridge for an hour or so. I cooked them in the halogen oven at 250C for about 35 minutes.

I didn't have the ingredients for a blue cheese dip, so I cobbled together a garlic mayonnaise dip.

The cooking method provided good results. The chicken was tender and crispy. The sauce however was way too salty. I didn't add anything, or season the chicken, so it must have been the butter used. The dip was a disaster, and didn't go with the wings at all. Overall, I'd give it a 5/10. To be honest, I enjoy the experience of going out for chicken wings and beer, so eating them at home was never going to be as good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Finally tried the Franks wings from Dominos last night. Couldn't complain, they were as good if not better than a lot of what you get in pubs. Wouldn't be getting them regularly though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Bateman wrote: »
    Finally tried the Franks wings from Dominos last night. Couldn't complain, they were as good if not better than a lot of what you get in pubs. Wouldn't be getting them regularly though.

I found they push up the price of the delivery if you want a halfway decent portion so last time I picked up ordinary chicken wings and a bottle of sauce in the supermarket, and tossed them around in the sauce, then into the oven to cook while the pizza was on the way. I only used a couple of tablespoons of sauce so it will last for a while yet.

A fraction of the price and lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Had the Hot Wings in Toscana Dame St today. They're exactly like the standard deep fried recipe here..gorgeous. The rest of the food was less than average though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Hi folks,
    I recently visited E & C before Theatre visit - Friday evening - the first thing which surprised me was that we actually got a table! Normally you have to wait at least up to 1 hour if you are lucky, so if you are in a hurry or don't get into town early don't bother! So feeling good so far, ordered the usual basket of chicken wings to share and a main (crispy chicken salad and the OH had a E&C sandwich). When the wings arrived they looked good enough. However, we then spent the next couple of minutes fighting over who got the "drumette" part of the wing, which is the best bit with most meat. They were few and far between all the other bits of wing pieces which are just bone and skin. What a disappointment! Going out to buy a large tray of drumettes to freeze and have handy for our next "Wingfest" evening with friends.

Don't think I'll bother going back to E&C - while the service is friendly enough, the wings certainly have disimproved over the years and the price has risen rapidly too so sharing a basket is a must. So all in all, not worth the usual wait of 1 hour hanging around town. So looking forward to nice juicy decent drumettes chez moi very soon! Mmmmm can't wait:)

Advertisement