Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

For anyone who might be interested:
    Pricelist as follows for Big Green Egg -

Extra Large BGE - €1200.00 which includes nest, eggmates, grillgripper, ashtool, Big Green Egg lumpwood,
    firestarts, manual and DVD

Large Big Green Egg - €999.99 which includes all of the above.

Medium Big Green Egg - €799.99 which includes all of the above

Small Big Green Egg - €599.99 which includes all of the above

Mini Big Green Egg - €365.00 which includes grill gripper, ashtool, stand, Big Green Egg lumpwood, firestarts,
    manual and DVD
    -www.aroomoutside.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Can I ask where did you get yours?

I got mine from Room outside in Limerick. back in 2006. the thing is expensive. Because it is ceramic I use it all year round and not worry about it. I use it weekly even in the snow.

They are worth the expense "if you use it as much as me", but if you are only an occasional user then it's a very expensive toy.

It's great for smoked turkey(3-6 hours depending on how smokey i want it), ribs(4 - 8 hour), pork belly (10 hours), etc, I love slow cooked smoked meat, but it also does the best steaks ever, crack up the heat to 600F and cook for about 2 mins on each side (depending on thickness) with the lid closed, the fat is caramelised and the meat is lovely and rare, yum.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Will cooking the wings in the oven cause much difference in taste ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Will cooking the wings in the oven cause much difference in taste ?
    Not much imo.
    There is enough fat to make them crispy in the skin already. No need to deep fry them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

I don't recall where I heard this but have a shot at

-Franks hot sauce
    -butter
    -sweet chilli sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I don't recall where I heard this but have a shot at

-Franks hot sauce
    -butter
    -sweet chilli sauce
    blasphemer128601086275112902.jpg

:pac: :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Long thread, but I tried searching.
    Are these gluten free? Probably not.
    I was telling the fincée how nice they were, but she's coeliac. Are they gluten free?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It may be best to call the restaurant & ask them directly rather than relying on random internet peeps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Don't think there's any gluten in chicken, Franks, butter or vinegar so should be alright.

there might be gluten in them if they dust the wings in regular flour (as i'm sure some places would) to help the sauce stick, but if they only use cornflour that would be gluten free (barring any cross contamination).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Long thread, but I tried searching.
    Are these gluten free? Probably not.
    I was telling the fincée how nice they were, but she's coeliac. Are they gluten free?

I know some recipes call for them to be dusted in flour. I'm sure they'd do you a batch without if you couldn't eat gluten. As others say - best to ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

E&C is welllllll over rated. Such a let down.

If you want cheap and unbelievably tasty wings id recommend Buffalo 19 in Rathmines. It's fast food take away place but has plenty of seating inside.

Defo worth visiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

As has been stated previously the E&C wings are over rated. There are better wings in Dublin.

However I had amazing wings at a friends BBQ at the weekend. Easily the nicest I have eaten, homemade sauce, crispy............just perfect.

I intend to get the recipe and open a wing hut post haste or at the very least have a BBQ and do up a big batch of them.

TRULY DELISH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

frag420 wrote: »
    However I had amazing wings at a friends BBQ at the weekend. Easily the nicest I have eaten, homemade sauce, crispy............just perfect.

I intend to get the recipe and open a wing hut post haste or at the very least have a BBQ and do up a big batch of them.

TRULY DELISH

Our else just be nice and post the recipe here :D

My guess it involves flour,butter and franks hot sauce :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

no flour, butter or hot sauce.

I remember corn flakes and paprika as part of, I kid you not.

IL get it out of him yet!!

frag420 wrote: »
    no flour, butter or hot sauce.

I remember corn flakes and paprika as part of, I kid you not.

IL get it out of him yet!!
    i can feel the blasphemer card twitching to get loose again! :eek: :pac:

altho the great wing in the sky tells us to be respectful of other religions and not smite the heathens until we know their secret recipe, just to be on the safe side.

also, pics or GTFO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

LMAO Vibe!:D

I'm of the no vinegar/use paprika camp. I've tried the cornflakes thing on an attempt at KFC chicken. Gives a really good alternate crunch but is a bit sweet.

Also, imo, an oven just doesn't work with these wings.

i don't use vinegar on mine either, in fact i prefer to cook out some of the vinegar in the franks before adding my wings as i find it too vinegary as it is.

dust your wings (or boneless thigh strips would be my own preference) with 3/4 flour, 1/4 cornflour and a teaspoon of smoked paprika and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour, before deep frying on a very high heat until golden brown and crispy.

whilst they're cooking, melt a good 50/50 (or 25/75 if you like it a bit hotter) ratio portion of butter and franks (original) hot sauce in a pan (i use a wok for easier tossing of the wings) and cook out until the mixture starts to separate, before adding the wings and tossing until fully coated.

serve with a simple blue cheese dip made from slightly watered down mayo, crumbled blue cheese (i like roquefort), a squeeze of lemon & a good crack of salt & pepper.

also works well with roasted garlic in place of the cheese. just stick a few cloves of garlic in the oven at 180 degrees for 10-15 minutes until they start to go brown and then add to the mayo mixture above instead of the roquefort. :)

having said all that, i'm interested in the cornflake thing as my wife is currently on the slimming world diet, so flour/cornflour is no good and i would have to oven bake the wings skinless thighs instead of deep frying them, so i'd be wondering if the cornflake thing might be a less sinful coating than my previous method so she could still enjoy some wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vibe666 wrote: »
    the cornflake thing might be a less sinful coating
    Well corn flour & cornflakes will be pretty similar calorie wise. The cornflakes usually will have some added sugar too. So it might come down to how many calories are needed to coat one, a cornflake is more puffed out than flour so might need less.

But the amount of flour used is fairly small anyways, probably more in half a slice of bread than a massive bowl of wings. Where the calories really come in is how much oil it soaks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Would you believe that I never had buffalo wings, ever ? :o
    Skimming this thread, I want to eat some, sooner rather than later.
    However, I don't think I can get my hands on this Frank's hot sauce or any of his other sauces anywhere near where I live :(
    What to do, what to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Would you believe that I never had buffalo wings, ever ? :o
    Skimming this thread, I want to eat some, sooner rather than later.
    However, I don't think I can get my hands on this Frank's hot sauce or any of his other sauces anywhere near where I live :(
    What to do, what to do ?

Most Dunnes Stores stock it.

Where are you? I'm guessing you're either very remote, in France or Prison....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amazon.co.uk sell it, if you order stuff over £25 in value delivery is free, and you can mix & match departments, e.g. food & a dvd & a t-shirt once the combined value is over £25 its free.

Its not particularly cheap. They catering ones too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Afranks+hot+sauce%2Ci%3Agrocery&keywords=franks+hot+sauce&ie=UTF8&qid=1339087573#/ref=sr_nr_p_6_0?rh=k%3Afranks+hot+sauce%2Cn%3A340834031%2Cp_6%3AA3P5ROKL5A1OLE&bbn=340834031&keywords=franks+hot+sauce&ie=UTF8&qid=1339087583&rnid=419151031

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Most Dunnes Stores stock it.

Where are you? I'm guessing you're either very remote, in France or Prison....

:D in Belgium, might aswell be prison. :D

I just looked on one of 'our supermarkets' websites and found a couple of hot sauces (probably obscure brands) but Frank isn't represented. I will look further.

rubadub wrote: »
    Well corn flour & cornflakes will be pretty similar calorie wise. The cornflakes usually will have some added sugar too. So it might come down to how many calories are needed to coat one, a cornflake is more puffed out than flour so might need less.

But the amount of flour used is fairly small anyways, probably more in half a slice of bread than a massive bowl of wings. Where the calories really come in is how much oil it soaks up.
    the diet she's on it's not so much the calories.

i'm actually not sure how it's all measure up, but seemingly weetabix are okay, so that might be an idea.

i can't believe i'm even contemplating it tbh, i should be ashamed.

i think i'm going to have to get the blasphemer card out on myself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

seemingly weetabix are okay, so that might be an idea.

i can't believe i'm even contemplating it tbh, i should be ashamed

QFT :D

Why don't you secretly make them the normal way just for yourself when she's out shopping for the day? :pac:

the diet she's on it's not so much the calories.

i'm actually not sure how it's all measure up, but seemingly weetabix are okay, so that might be an idea.

You could use flour on slimming world, its a small amount. It allows bread, pasta, potato, so do issue with that.

But deep frying wouldn't be ok per that diet. Grilling them is better than oven for texture.

yeah, just trying to find syn free alternatives to minimise the syn value in the overall meal as much as i can to try and help her out. :)

Corn flakes, weetabix, flour and all equal in terms of syns I would imagine.
    The butter with the hot sauce wouldn't be.

yep, the better and hot sauce was what i was saving the syns for in the first place! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭squonk

I can also say the Elephant & Castle are a huge letdown. I'm glad to see people started to complain round about 2009 onwards. I headed in there about 2009 and expected something spectacular. Instead I was really hacked off with the wings. They were very meh. What was worse I had to wait to be even seated. I haven't been back since.

I used to live in Skerries and a bar called Blue down by the harbour there do my favourite wings. I think they use Louisianna sauce rather than Franks. It's still very tasty though. They use the sauce on a burger as well or you can get a portion of it for fries. nom nom.

The wings are particularly good and their blue cheese dip isn't very blue cheesy either which I think is a good thing. I don't liek blue cheese. I've done wings with Franks before and they were great but I've some excellent ideas to be getting on with from here.

Advertisement