Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Had the wings here after the Leinster v Munster game on Friday last. Have to say, given the hype, I found them to be disappointingly ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Im going to give the Alton Brown steaming/baking method a go later. Hopefully it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Had the wings here after the Leinster v Munster game on Friday last. Have to say, given the hype, I found them to be disappointingly ordinary.
    did you have them out or make them yourself?

if out then where, if at home, how did you make them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I assume he is talking about having them had the wings in elephant and castle

Mellor wrote: »
    I assume he is talking about having them had the wings in elephant and castle
    the last few times i've had them in there they were pretty poor, very small wings and over fried so they came out like jerky.

maybe it was a once off, but i've not been back since to find out, but tbh, since the *secret* to buffalo wing sauce got out in ireland there's plenty of places you can get them (and better) and E&C have ceased to be anything special imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Last time I was in the E&C they were fab - a few times previously I've been let down. E&C + Tribeca would still be my favourite places to go and have them... Buffalo takeaway in Harolds Cross are quite nice too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Im going to give the Alton Brown steaming/baking method a go later. Hopefully it goes well

Worked out really realy well. Will be trying again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

vibe666 wrote: »
    did you have them out or make them yourself?

Had them in E&C.

Been a couple of years since I'd had 'em there and the chicken seemed markedly different - not in a good way either :(

Had them in E&C.

Been a couple of years since I'd had 'em there and the chicken seemed markedly different - not in a good way either :(
    that's the thing, it's no good if they can't keep them consistent. it's no good when some of the best and worst wings come from the same place at different times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's the thing, it's no good if they can't keep them consistent. it's no good when some of the best and worst wings come from the same place at different times. :(

This has happened to a lot of popular restaurants since the recession hit me thinks. Tante Zoes is a tragic example of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Traditionally I've been a "Steam/Bake/Frank's Hot Sauce" person but I recently seen Emeril Lagasse's recipe for wings on "Fresh Food Fast" -

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/7941/Emeril%E2%80%99s-Oven-Roasted-Chicken-Wings

The only difference here is that on the TV show he added lots of hot sauce to the wings along with all the other ingredients.

The first time I made them I ate one and thought... "humm, not great" when compared to my usual method. Then I ate another and another and another... and as they started to grow on me I started to seriously enjoy them.

I cooked them again tonight and tweaked the recipe to include less lemon juice and butter and more herbs and spices... and they were super tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 egoboo

There's 25 Pages of wings and sauce! But can somebody repost the TRIBECA or E/C Wings and blue cheese dip recipe? Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try using the Search function.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 37 egoboo

Try using the Search function.

tHB

like i said 25 pages. Can't find it. not coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

egoboo wrote: »
    There's only 12 pages if you change the default settings.

And the recipe msot places use is the buffalo wings recipe. Made with Franks hot sauce
    Search the thread (top left) to google might turn it up.

egoboo wrote: »
    cook the chicken wings to your liking, fry/steam/bake or whatever you are happy with doing, and then toss in melted butter and franks hot sauce.

but, it's an art, not a science and you'll really need to read through the thread to get a better idea of the finer details.

with the default thread view, the good stuff starts from page 5 onwards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

my missus loves e+c.
    i hate it. its a tourist trap.
    they dont care. they dont have to care either cause of their location.
    i used to work in a bar that had a big passing trade and we didnt care either so i know how they feel.
    yesterday we went over there and got the usual you'll have to wait 45 mins. i told her thats it. never again. i dont care about how much you like the wings i'm never going again.

i spent a couple of hours on this thread today and we just finished wing night.
    They were incredible. absolutely perfect. we ate about 200 of them.
    i think adding a spoon of philidephia is a good idea and i'll try this next time but the bottom line is i dont have to go near that kip ever again.
    i'm so happy. thank you all so much.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMM.

i'm going to get locked now.
    that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My boyfriend is a wing fanatic and after reading this and hearing his praises about E&C, we finally went a few weeks ago.

I was incredibly underwhelmed. The sauce was split, and the only flavour I got was an overwhelming taste of vinegar. Even he said they weren't as good as they used to be.

On a side note, we went to The Hen House in Dun Laoghaire a few weeks ago, they had some of the nicest chicken wings I've had in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Elephant and castle is overrated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

These wings are incredible, so much so that I went out and bought 3 bottles of Franks Hot sauce at the weekend. :)

frag420 wrote: »
    Elephant and castle is overrated!!
    very. it's been a long time since their wings were anything even remotely close to worth waiting 45-60 minutes for and since everyone can make the same wings at home now, there really is no need for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I've said it before and il say it again

The wings in The Venue in Strandhill, Sligo are hard to beat. Bit of a treck but if your ever up that direction they are so worth it. I have yet to eat a wing with a nicer sauce!!

frag420 wrote: »
    I've said it before and il say it again

The wings in The Venue in Strandhill, Sligo are hard to beat. Bit of a treck but if your ever up that direction they are so worth it. I have yet to eat a wing with a nicer sauce!!
    that's because you've never been to my gaff. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Ok I just had to post how I cook mine. it takes time but it is worth it.

I usually buy my wings in FXB's on Moore street, about a dozen for me and the wife.

I cut off the wing tip and wash the whole wing I don't joint them.
    Pat them dry using kitchen paper.
    put in a bowl and throw in some flour (about a half tablespoon), toss them until they are lightly covered.
    Now add a good glug of franks sauce, and toss again, make sure they are all covered. cover bowl with cling film and refrigerate overnight if possible.

The cooking is the secret, I have a smoker " Big green egg", I set this for about 250F / 120C and place the wings around the outside of the grill (so no direct heat from the charcoal) for one hour (first 30 mins outside skin down, then flip for next thirty). this would probably work in a regular oven, i just haven't tried it.

They come out really moist with the crispiest skin, all the under skin fat has melted away.

Then heat up some franks 1/2 and 1/2 with butter and toss the wings in it.

For a dipping sauce
    I buy some M&S sour cream and chive dipping sauce and some blue cheese.
    I crumble the blue cheese into the sourcream mix and leave over night.

Damn I'm hungry now, i know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow

barfizz wrote: »
    The cooking is the secret, I have a smoker " Big green egg"
    now look what you've done!?! :mad::eek::o:pac:

off i go looking to purchase a big green egg that i didn't know existed 10 minutes ago. they look freaking awesome, no wonder you do your wings on it, i'd be cooking on it 24/7! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

barfizz wrote: »
    The cooking is the secret, I have a smoker " Big green egg"...

Can I ask where did you get yours?

Can I ask where did you get yours?
    these guys reckon they are the exclusive retailers in ireland.

http://www.aroomoutside.ie/category/products/big-green-egg-barbeques/

also, more info on the company page in the US: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Thanks, I'd just found that after posting.. and this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056506024

Feck it, looking like it's a bit too pricey.

• Advertisement

damn, that's not cheap. :(

there's also the 'grill pod' and 'grill dome' which looks like they're pretty much just copies, but it's all based off the original kamado grill, so i doubt the big green egg people could get copyrights or patents etc. for it. i'm not even sure who did it first out of those three anyway. :)

Advertisement