Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Making wings this week. But can't find Frank's hot sauce. Have a bottle of Nandos hot sauce as backup but wanted Frank's. I'll keep looking but prob going to settle for Nandos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Did the usual but cooked them in Rapeseed oil. Not good. Not as crisp and a strange taste. Unusual as it is supposed to be neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Did the usual but cooked them in Rapeseed oil. Not good. Not as crisp and a strange taste. Unusual as it is supposed to be neutral.

That is unusual, Rapeseed oil shouldn't cause any change in flavour or crunch :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

yeah, seems so. so i suppose it's all about getting the "hot sauce". looks like it'll have to be ordered from the interweb.

is there a shop in dublin that u can get it now? have we not made ANY progress since 27-02-2004 13:04 (OP's post)?[/Quote]

Just reading an American crime novel and Tabasco was referred to in the same sentence as 'hot sauce'???

Anyway, tried franks hot sauce! They do it in superquinn in the meat section, I agree it's very yummy and reminiscence of the e&c chicken wings but not quite there

Piper101 wrote: »
    Just reading an American crime novel and Tabasco was referred to in the same sentence as 'hot sauce'???
    Not sure what you are getting at there. Why wouldn't they refer to tabasco ashore sauce.
    Anyway, tried franks hot sauce! They do it in superquinn in the meat section, I agree it's very yummy and reminiscence of the e&c chicken wings but not quite there
    Have you read the whole thread? As its been confirmed a long time now that E&C wings are franks and butter. As are a lot of places, including the original place that served them up first in buffalo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Mellor wrote: »
    Piper101 wrote: »
    Not sure what you are getting at there. Why wouldn't they refer to tabasco ashore sauce.
    Have you read the whole thread? As its been confirmed a long time now that E&C wings are franks and butter. As are a lot of places, including the original place that served them up first in buffalo.
    i agree its not quite the same.....unless you have a particular method? please share!

mmcn90 wrote: »
    That is unusual, Rapeseed oil shouldn't cause any change in flavour or crunch :confused:

I know, it's a strange one but it was the only thing I did different.

Either way I bought a bottle of Chipotle hot sauce from Superquinn thats absolutely devine. I'm gonna try the usual method replacing Franks with this and report back.

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    i agree its not quite the same.....unless you have a particular method? please share!
    Quality of the chicken, quality of the oil, real butter vrs spread would all have an effect.

After that there's the ratio of franks to butter. I refer less butter, some people might rather more etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Quality of the chicken, quality of the oil, real butter vrs spread would all have an effect.

After that there's the ratio of franks to butter. I refer less butter, some people might rather more etc.
    yeah i use any low fat butter,its already unhealthy as is!!

Butter isn't unhealthy in suitable quantities, just higher in cals. In fact a lot of the alternative can be worse in terms of "healthy/unhealthy".

Either way, that's the reason for the difference in taste right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Making wings this week. But can't find Frank's hot sauce. Have a bottle of Nandos hot sauce as backup but wanted Frank's. I'll keep looking but prob going to settle for Nandos

Surprised you couldn't find franks, I see it everywhere, Supervalue on the Quays is central (Dublin), Ive spotted it in every Tesco Ive been in, Ive also seen it in a few Centras.

Edit: Just noticed your location is Sydney lol

Yeah got it once before here in a sort of fancy food market. They do gourmet and overseas stuff. But went back and they had none. So no luck. Making them tonight.

Not sure what to have on the side thats keto friendly (carb free). More wings or maybe a blue cheese dip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Yeah got it once before here in a sort of fancy food market. They do gourmet and overseas stuff. But went back and they had none. So no luck. Making them tonight.
    maybe we could arrange a mercy package to send out to you along with some tayto and club orange! :D

actually, would Amazon not deliver to Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

vibe666 wrote: »
    maybe we could arrange a mercy package to send out to you along with some tayto and club orange! :D
    Would that be keto-friendly Tayto? ;)

yes, and fat free too! :D

Nandos wings were delicious. Worked really well.
    Had a stab at a blue cheese dip. Think I used a bit too much cheese, but was tasty

actually, would Amazon not deliver to Oz?
    Strangely, I can buy Tayto, club orange, irish chocolate etc allwith in 2 mins walk of my front door.

A bottle of lucozade isotonic or orange oasis would go down a treat.

Only mon to fri. So in a few hours i'll be indulging ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nandos wings were delicious. Worked really well.
    Had a stab at a blue cheese dip. Think I used a bit too much cheese, but was tasty

Easiest thing in the world to make. 120ml buttermilk, 60ml sour cream, 115g crumbled blue cheese, black pepper to taste - bung the whole lot into a blender and whizz til smooth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Easiest thing in the world to make. 120ml buttermilk, 60ml sour cream, 115g crumbled blue cheese, black pepper to taste - bung the whole lot into a blender and whizz til smooth :D

I'll give that a go, thanks for sharing :)

Gave it a go. Thumbs up! :D

Had creme fraiche, not sour cream, but I don't think it would make much of a difference. The taste of the blue cheese really came through and it was only a cheap one I used (blue stilton from lidl)

Nibbling on some celery sticks right now :cool:

if you're really stuck, crumbled blue cheese mixed into slightly watered down mayo with a crack of S&P and a wee squeeze of lemon works a treat as well.

if you have the buttermilk already and want to make a crack at proper fried chicken, you can soak chicken pieces in buttermilk for 24 (or ideally 48 if you can wait) hours to make the juiciest chicken you'll ever taste.

then just shake off the excess buttermilk and roll the chicken in the usual 2/3 flour 1/3 cornflour mix (with a dash of smoked paprika and/or pepper if you fancy) and deep fry it until golden.

to finish it off in style, drizzle with melted butter and franks and serve with some blue cheese dip and maybe some home made sweet potato chips (literally just chop into (steak cut, flat and wide) chip shaped slices and deep fry in as hot as you can get your oil until they turn brown. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I did 1kg of wings just in the oven with no coating and it worked well. My oven gets very hot, there is no indicator of temp but I know even 3/4 way up is hot enough for most stuff. So they were very crispy coming out.

There are only 2 in my house so we rarely put bins out, which avoids pick up charges as well as effort. A tip is to get a butchers bag and put the leftover wing tips and eaten wings into it. Then freeze them until the bin will be going out. Otherwise you have raw rotting chicken in the bins. This also fills up voids in the freezer which are inefficient as they let warm air in each time its opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

if you have the buttermilk already and want to make a crack at proper fried chicken, you can soak chicken pieces in buttermilk for 24 (or ideally 48 if you can wait) hours to make the juiciest chicken you'll ever taste.

then just shake off the excess buttermilk and roll the chicken in the usual 2/3 flour 1/3 cornflour mix (with a dash of smoked paprika and/or pepper if you fancy) and deep fry it until golden.

I LOVE buttermilk fried chicken. I add roughly chopped onions, chilli, celery, garlic & fresh thyme leaves to the buttermilk while marinading. Makes it unbelievably aromatic. I do be in the fridge sniffing it every half an hour, ha ha!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I LOVE buttermilk fried chicken. I add roughly chopped onions, chilli, celery, garlic & fresh thyme leaves to the buttermilk while marinading. Makes it unbelievably aromatic. I do be in the fridge sniffing it every half an hour, ha ha!
    good tip on the aromatics, i'll have to give that a shot next time. :)

i think i picked it up a couple of years back on man v food or something similar, where someone visited one of the bet fried chicken places in the US, so i figured it was worth a shot and it came out really well.

i was concerned about wasting all that leftover buttermilk, but i had the idea of making onion ring batter with it and the leftover dusting flour mix and they came out pretty amazing too. i know you're probably just supposed to throw it out, but i figured any risk of cross contamination from the chickeny buttermilk would be short lived in 180 degrees cooking oil. :D

i was concerned about wasting all that leftover buttermilk, but i had the idea of making onion ring batter with it and the leftover dusting flour mix and they came out pretty amazing too. i know you're probably just supposed to throw it out, but i figured any risk of cross contamination from the chickeny buttermilk would be short lived in 180 degrees cooking oil. :D

Re-use tip of the month!

@rubadub - good idea about storing left over food to be discarded in the freezer until bin day. We're a young family of 5 and we only put out our grey bin every 4-6 weeks. Rot and stink are problems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there any recipe in the thread that came out on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

yeah, franks hot sauce and melted butter, cook wings on 200C for 50 mins for crispy skin or deep fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Toss the wings in cornflour, deep fry at 180 until golden. Heat up a mixture of butter (preferably clarified) and franks and add the wings. Voila

Is there any recipe in the thread that came out on top?

Deep Frying is a must. 190c for 12-15 mins depending on how full the frier is.

Rolling the wings in a 2/3 plain flour 1/3 cornflour with some paprika/smoked paprika.

A lot seemed to get best results using Ghee in the sauce mixture but it never worked for me. Also the vinegar never worked for me.
    I use 1/3 usalted butter to 2/3 Franks brought to the boil and simmered while constantly stirring to stop it splitting for 20 mins.

Deep Frying is a must. 190c for 12-15 mins depending on how full the frier is.

Rolling the wings in a 2/3 plain flour 1/3 cornflour with some paprika/smoked paprika.

A lot seemed to get best results using Ghee in the sauce mixture but it never worked for me. Also the vinegar never worked for me.
    I use 1/3 usalted butter to 2/3 Franks brought to the boil and simmered while constantly stirring to stop it splitting for 20 mins.

Question.
    Why simmer the sauce for 20 mins?
    I just mix melted butter and franks then toss the wings in it.

If i'm doing wings in the oven I'll toss them in the sauce then put them back in the oven for a few mins to crisp a bit.

• Advertisement

Question.
    Why simmer the sauce for 20 mins?
    I just mix melted butter and franks then toss the wings in it.

Frank's sauce is very acidic and it tastes of vinegar. By simmering the sauce / butter, some of the acid is burnt off.

I simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes myself...

Advertisement