Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Younganne wrote: »

PeggySue, did you tell the Doctor you plan on running the marathon and did he say it was ok to do it. If you have bronchitus and are on antibiotics you might not have the energy for 26.2+ miles and it could turn into a very difficult run. I hope you get your energy back and the race goes to plan for you...

Thanks younganne I did and she said I should be ok and only advised me not to run if it is a very foggy day so hopefully it will work out .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Don't overthink it :D

I can't even explain how I managed to cut it so that the pointy edges of the bag were at the front instead of the sides :confused:

I would go with the original version as it could make u more aero dynamic. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I trained through a low grade virus last year and even though I was unwell on the morning of the marathon I raced, I ran 3:29 and suffered from the first mile, my running career has been on pause since, Monday will be the anniversary of my demise.I now suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it affects every aspect of my life - I had shaved 46 mins off of my marathon time in a year, now I'm struggling to put 4 miles together at 9 min miles.

There are other races, don't be stupid.

That's a chilling reminder to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I trained through a low grade virus last year and even though I was unwell on the morning of the marathon I raced, I ran 3:29 and suffered from the first mile, my running career has been on pause since, Monday will be the anniversary of my demise.I now suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it affects every aspect of my life - I had shaved 46 mins off of my marathon time in a year, now I'm struggling to put 4 miles together at 9 min miles.

I was wondering what happened to you. thats awful mr slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm very sorry to hear that Mr Slow, I didn't realise you were unable to run at the moment, although I did wonder at you not running on Monday. What you are suffering from sounds truly awful and it is a reminder that the marathon isn't to be taken lightly. It's a race that deserves respect.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery Mr Slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Trying to focus back with that thought in my mind is not going to be easy. Hopefully this will concentrate me a bit...:eek:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20121029T09&p0=78&msg=Dublin+Marathon+2012&csz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chuffie

My nipples didn't survive the half so I will be greasing up like a mud wrestler myself for the full. If you've done 20 miles without chaffing and are wearing the same clothes I don't think the other 6 will bring it on.

Lurking for a while but have something to contribute now!!
    I suffer same prob! I found corn plasters (the ones for feet with holes in them) with some tape last the whole 26.2 without falling off... Without the tape it depends on the stickiness of them but rarely get 10 miles!

Also means you can wear white tops again :-)
    Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Can't sleep because of the fear - just made the stupid mistake of rewatching the course video - I do not recommend it! Now not only can I not sleep but my fear has quickly turned into nausea!!!!

Just wondering if anyone else has positive mantras that they use to get them through long runs? I have loads which I write all over my hands (current favourite being 'Get the T-Shirt') but I'm always looking for new ones. They are so powerful! Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

I won't xx

Very sobering & sorry that you have been impacted so badly Mr. Slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I think it's safe to say, there will be no work done today!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

W_J_Happen wrote: »
    Can't sleep because of the fear - just made the stupid mistake of rewatching the course video - I do not recommend it! Now not only can I not sleep but my fear has quickly turned into nausea!!!!

Just wondering if anyone else has positive mantras that they use to get them through long runs? I have loads which I write all over my hands (current favourite being 'Get the T-Shirt') but I'm always looking for new ones. They are so powerful! Any suggestions??

More inspiration than positive mantra but I always have TC on my wrist. No, for all you 80's kids I'm not a big fan of top cat :) its the initials of the most inspirational Irish man ever: Tom Crean. If I'm struggling I try think about what he went thru and i reassure myself that the marathon is a piece of p!ss compared to his struggles. Always seems to work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I read this somewhere - could even have been in a post here on boards that a tip to get through the marathon is to name 26 miles after people you admire / love and dedicate each one to them. That way you're resetting every mile to a new goal. I'm planning on giving it a try on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Mine is fairly simple and I use just the one to the rhythm of my breathing:

"I LOVE TO RUN"

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Your talk on headphones got me thinking, I didn't wear any for the half. But I do for all my training. I planned on strapping my iPod to my arm for the marathon. The earphones have pause/volume control, so was thinking ill put them on low volume to hear the atmosphere also. I think it will help for the last few miles! But now I'm 50/50...

I'm with you on this one Stephen,I use my ipod for training the whole time so I'm not going to change the routine now,I dont think that I will need it all of the time & like you I plan to have the volume turned down for most of the route to soak up the atmosphere. I'd imagine that the hardest part will be around the 15 to 22 mile mark & the plan is to turn it off completely then but then again I dont know as I may start talking to one of the Kenyans & before I know it I'll be passing RTE:eek::eek: I have run a few shorter races without it & it was okish but its a kind of comfort thing more than anything now & I'd rather have it & not use it rather than not have it at all - I can only imagine what people giving up smoking go through:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

A sobering reminder not to go out too fast. What happened Declan Moffit could happen you

Transport to a viewing point & back to the city while the marathon is on!!!!!

Does anyone know what the taxi/luas/dart situation is while the marathon is on.I have friends who want to get out somewhere along the route to give a bit of support & get back into the city for the finish.A person told me last night that you cant get a taxi from the city centre as they stop running (pun intended)while the marathon is on.Someone said that his wife was going out to Miltown & coming back into town once he passed so she could see him at the finish - does the DART go to Miltown or whats the story??? Or can any of our experienced friends or Dublin locals recommend the easiest place to see someone out the course & get back into the city fast, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

docrock wrote: »

Does anyone know what the taxi/luas/dart situation is while the marathon is on.I have friends who want to get out somewhere along the route to give a bit of support & get back into the city for the finish.A person told me last night that you cant get a taxi from the city centre as they stop running (pun intended)while the marathon is on.Someone said that his wife was going out to Miltown & coming back into town once he passed so she could see him at the finish - does the DART go to Miltown or whats the story??? Or can any of our experienced friends or Dublin locals recommend the easiest place to see someone out the course & get back into the city fast, thanks in advance.

They could meet you at South Circular Road at 10 miles and get the luas from Rialto back into town with plenty of time to spare or they could get the green luas to milltown and meet you at the cheering zone on milltown road. I wouldn't chance a bus or driving

xalot wrote: »
    They could meet you at South Circular Road at 10 miles and get the luas from Rialto back into town with plenty of time to spare or they could get the green luas to milltown and meet you at the cheering zone on milltown road. I wouldn't chance a bus or driving

Thanks for the info xalot - neither I or them would be up to speed on the luas - I've never been on it or wouldnt know the routine of where you can get on, get off, routes etc so can you confirm if you can where they need to catch it close to O Connell St & what number/colour/ etc they need to catch?Sorry for the questions but I'd nearly find my way around London easier than Dublin. The easiest option all round is a taxi out & back but as I said earlier I dont know if they are running while the race is on:(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dublinbikes? Green line Luas goes out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

blockic wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say, there will be no work done today!! :pac:

i feel like a child on christmas eve, let me gooooo to carb load and rest! cant be concentrating on work today at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I've been following this thread since the start but haven't yet posted anything. It's been great for advice, although the last few days, I don't know if seeing so many other crazy people post here is making me feel more crazy or more sane!! The nerves have definitely kicked in today, and had a very interrupted night's sleep last night - I'm lucky in that I have an experienced marathon runner in the bed beside me to calm me down.

Just a couple of crazy thoughts running through my mind. Would I be mad to bring painkillers and immodium in my pocket on Monday in case I need them during the race? Would they make any difference if I took them as I run? I probably won't, but they could be a comfort blanket.

My taper madness has led me to do some crazy analysis (when I'm on long runs I do long division in my head on potential race times....strange....) of the difference between girl and boy marathon runners. What I've found great about this thread is that there seems to be lots of ladies on it, whereas most forums and blogs are by men, for men. Anyway, I wanted to see what a female time would equate to as a man time, if you get me. So I looked at last year's marathon as well as a few halves and 8k races, and came up with the (not very scientific) conclusion that men run 10-12% faster than women. So say, if a woman is capable of a 4hr marathon, that is equivalent to 3hrs35 if she were a man!!! Feeling good ladies??? It made me feel good anyway.

Also, I found out that only 27% of last year's marathoners were female, and of those only 21% completed the marathon in 4 hours or less! These are all the positive thoughts that are going to be running through my head on Monday (I hope). Basically telling myself I'm deadly. I cut out a piece on positive thinking from last week's Fit magazine, which I've found great, and hopefully some of the points will stick with me on Monday (and I won't resort to long division....).

My house is on the marathon route, so I'm currently "working"/ making banners to put up outside the house for himself and some friends (and hoping he'll return the favour by doing me one). Any words of inspiration I should put up on a banner for everyone else? Have you seen anything clever that would get people pumped. My house is at the 10 mile mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks for the info xalot - neither I or them would be up to speed on the luas - I've never been on it or wouldnt know the routine of where you can get on, get off, routes etc so can you confirm if you can where they need to catch it close to O Connell St & what number/colour/ etc they need to catch?

Green Line LUAS. Terminus is on Stephens Green, beside the shopping centre. They'd need to get off at Milltown and walk down the hill to the marathon route.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Would I be mad to bring painkillers and immodium in my pocket on Monday in case I need them during the race? Would they make any difference if I took them as I run? I probably won't, but they could be a comfort blanket.

There are first aiders along the route, don't go popping pills unnecessarily.
    kkcatlou wrote: »
    Also, I found out that only 27% of last year's marathoners were female, and of those only 21% completed the marathon in 4 hours or less!

On the other hand, women are much more likely to finish, men are more likely to drop out along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Thanks for the info xalot - neither I or them would be up to speed on the luas - I've never been on it or wouldnt know the routine of where you can get on, get off, routes etc so can you confirm if you can where they need to catch it close to O Connell St & what number/colour/ etc they need to catch?Sorry for the questions but I'd nearly find my way around London easier than Dublin. The easiest option all round is a taxi out & back but as I said earlier I dont know if they are running while the race is on:(

No prob, you can get the luas red line from Connolly Station or Abbey Street(beside O'Connell Street) to Rialto - about 15 mins. The Green line goes from St Stephens green shopping centre to Milltown in about 15 mins- which would be handy for getting back to the finishing line. www.luas.ie will give you the full station list. I imagine there'll be little disruption to it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Mine is "I am doing this!" :D & I use it any time I'm doing something that I'm nervous about or never thought I'd do (training for a marathon, getting a vch piercing, quitting my job, going to the other side of this planet on my own, etc...)

I never thought I'd run a marathon, and there were days when I was finding it really hard to run, but this reminds me that every little step I take is getting me closer to my goal (or making that change in my life or whatever it is I want to do).

We are doing this!!! And getting the t-shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭Trampas

RayCun wrote: »
    There are first aiders along the route, don't go popping pills unnecessarily.

On the other hand, women are much more likely to finish, men are more likely to drop out along the way.

and i say women will enjoy it more as men are to worried about their time than enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

One thing i forgot to mention yesterday but i think it will help alot of you on the day and it has been mentioned here before but its to put your name on your Tshirt or your number and the crowd will cheer you on using you name.
    This can be very important when things are tough because when someone gives you encouragement using your name you know its aimed at you, it will help you and give you a bit of a lift. I did it last year and think it really helped me along the route.

Something worth thinking about!!

As for inspirational sayings, you will see plenty of posters but a few i saw last year and have stuck with me were

"the wall has a door"
    "you're all Kenyans to me"

A few other sayings that i think are good:

"If it was easy everyone would be doing it"

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them"

”It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.”

"That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger"

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't,
    I give myself reasons why I can."

"Believe that you will succeed, and you will."

and of course the one in my signature!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Younganne wrote: »

and of course the one in my signature!!!:D

"Registered User" ??

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Taper madness has rubbed off on the OH,

he had a dream last night that i was coming in towards the finish and i waved and smilled at him and the kids, but when he looked i had no teeth:eek::eek:(they all fell out on me in my dream last week, so it proves that he was listening to me and not just say to himself more madness!!)
    he woke himself laughing:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

tick.

tock.

tick.

Advertisement