Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Does anybody know what time the expo is on until? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what time the expo is on until? Thanks

7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

rasher_m wrote: »
    7pm

Great, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

My last message before the marathon. Heading to Ireland later. I'd like to drive around the route tomorrow if I've a chance so I'll have more of an idea what to expect. If not, it's too late to change my mind now! Some family and friends will be in a couple of places and it sounds like the support from the crowd will be excellent. Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and stories on here. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Excited but nervous now :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Trampas

Last training run completed.

If you can't find a loo and if you see someone at their door just ask if you can use the bog. Most folks will say yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

portaloos at every water station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    My last message before the marathon. Heading to Ireland later. I'd like to drive around the route tomorrow if I've a chance so I'll have more of an idea what to expect. If not, it's too late to change my mind now! Some family and friends will be in a couple of places and it sounds like the support from the crowd will be excellent. Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and stories on here. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Excited but nervous now :D.

Have you watched the route video on YouTube? http://youtu.be/lsDbeA3EFa8

Just in case you don't get the chance go drive it!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Don't forget to get plenty water into you today and tomorrow so you won't have to drink much Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

W_J_Happen wrote: »
    My house is on the marathon route, so I'm currently "working"/ making banners to put up outside the house for himself and some friends (and hoping he'll return the favour by doing me one). Any words of inspiration I should put up on a banner for everyone else? Have you seen anything clever that would get people pumped. My house is at the 10 mile mark.

Two classics that will warm the heart of any tired Irish marathoner:
    'Careful now'
    and,
    'Down with that sort of thing'

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

The final countdown people!!! How's everyone's carb loading going? Any tasty/naughty snacks we can have?:)

Was awake half the night stressing over what wave to start in mon. I originally signed up for wave 1. Aiming for a sub 3.45. However the 3.45 pacers don't go until wave two. My fear is that I'll have to be in line super early to get near pacers in wave two and may not even get near them so added stress. Or am I as well off to just start at the very back of the first wave and try manage my own time? I must say I found the pacers so beneficial in both the Athlone half and 3/4 it's just I always get worked up about being in the best place on time. What do you folks recommend is best option? Thanks a mill!

AAHH Taper madness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »
    The final countdown people!!! How's everyone's carb loading going? Any tasty/naughty snacks we can have?:)

Was awake half the night stressing over what wave to start in mon. I originally signed up for wave 1. Aiming for a sub 3.45. However the 3.45 pacers don't go until wave two. My fear is that I'll have to be in line super early to get near pacers in wave two and may not even get near them so added stress. Or am I as well off to just start at the very back of the first wave and try manage my own time? I must say I found the pacers so beneficial in both the Athlone half and 3/4 it's just I always get worked up about being in the best place on time. What do you folks recommend is best option? Thanks a mill!

AAHH Taper madness!!

Just line up beside us in Wave 2 or as close as you can. If you are a bit behind, no worries, just try to maintain that gap and you will catch up when the crowds thin out.
    If you are anyway near the front of the wave you can't be more than 30 seconds behind the pacers...Make sure to introduce yourself on the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

DOCO12 wrote: »

AAHH Taper madness!!

Remember you are going on chip time not gun time so if you start say 50m behind the 3.45 pacers and finish 50 m behind them then you come in sub 3.45 without having to worry about pacing the race yourself. Otherwise you could easily get caught up in the excitement and do the first few miles at 3.30 pace which may bite you in the ass later in the race

Gavlor wrote: »
    Remember you are going on chip time not gun time so if you start say 50m behind the 3.45 pacers and finish 50 m behind them then you come in sub 3.45 without having to worry about pacing the race yourself.

Plus the pacers will be aiming to come in 30 seconds under goal time. So even if you drop 100m or more behind it is no cause to panic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

ultraman1 wrote: »

I think my favourite one is "Getting up early to make this sign wasn't easy":D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Got my number! :)
    But looks like we'll actually have to complete the marathon for the t-shirts (despite what the website says!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

But looks like we'll actually have to complete the marathon for the t-shirts (despite what the website says!)

You were in bright and early! What are the crowds like there at moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Went out for my first run in a while today.. First and last before the big day.
    Went fine, legs felt strong, untill.. a mile and a half in - Bam! A pulled muscle from three weeks back flared up again.

This is quite worrying. Now it's decision time.. plod on through the pain on Monday, or give in and pull out.
    Gonna head to the RDS shortly - if I see any physios I'll see what they think..

Gutted if I have to pull out at this stage.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Saw your message on the wall, shortie chik must have just missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Off to the expo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hydration timing issue number 1, had to park car and run into a pub toilet half mile from expo!

Better today than Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Went out for my first run in a while today.. First and last before the big day.
    Went fine, legs felt strong, untill.. a mile and a half in - Bam! A pulled muscle from three weeks back flared up again.

This is quite worrying. Now it's decision time.. plod on through the pain on Monday, or give in and pull out.
    Gonna head to the RDS shortly - if I see any physios I'll see what they think..

Gutted if I have to pull out at this stage.. :mad:

Plod on Sir plod on !

Plenty of ice and rest now. Give it as much chance to recover. Try it out on Monday. If it's too bad then you can pull out then. Don't sell yourself short by pulling out now.

menoscemo wrote: »

Plus the pacers will be aiming to come in 30 seconds under goal time. So even if you drop 100m or more behind it is no cause to panic....

What's all this about 'aiming to come in 30 seconds under'??! Do you not realise people's dreams rest on your shoulders ;)

No pressure!

What's all this about 'aiming to come in 30 seconds under'??! Do you not realise people's dreams rest on your shoulders ;)

No pressure!

Of course;) Much better to be 30 seconds under than 1 second over, it's like Bruce's price is right :D

Of course;) Much better to be 30 seconds under than 1 second over, it's like Bruce's price is right :D

It's the 'aiming' thing I was getting at! I assumed you pacers guarantee the time with your lives?!!

Ps. Thank god you didn't say Jim'll fix it

RedRunner wrote: »

You were in bright and early! What are the crowds like there at moment?

No queues when I went in (@1130). Very quick walk around to get my number (upstairs), then collect bag at the bottom of the stairs. Spent a little time looking at the exhibition of pictures & medals. There were just a few people sitting for the talk that was on when I was nearby, but seemed like plenty of people standing around listening too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you were watching the swimming in the Olympics then think of the pacers as the blue line that appeared moving along the pool whenever they were close to a world record. The pacers just have to come in as close to the target time as possible. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to beat them to the finish.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Saw your message on the wall, shortie chik must have just missed you.

Saw yours too! Wandered past the wall on the way out & it was really starting to fill up. Hope we'll be able to see the "finished wall" somewhere!

It's the 'aiming' thing I was getting at! I assumed you pacers guarantee the time with your lives?!!

Ps. Thank god you didn't say Jim'll fix it

When I say aiming I mean we could end up being 31 seconds or maybe 29 seconds under ;)

• Advertisement

When I say aiming I mean we could end up being 31 seconds or maybe 29 seconds under ;)

Love it!

I'm flipping a coin on whether to pace myself 3.10 or go with the 3.15 lads. I've never felt in better condition, injury free training programme, 2nd marathon in 6 months. Plan is for sub 3 next April/may so I'm thinking 3.08/9 will set me up nicely for that

Advertisement