Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

dougal13 wrote: »
    no gaa in kenya.. im 30 and runnin fairly seriously for about year in between gaa season. done 5 races this year. 5k pb 17.56, 8k pb 29.49, 10k pb 38 mins flat. aslo done a dualathon in march and was 7th and warriors run in sligo in 1h.08m. started trainin seriously for marathon bout 1 month ago. first run was 14mile with avg mile of 7.02. next was 16mile in 7.10 avg. then 21mile in 2.32.04 7.14 avg per mile. next was 8mile hilly run in 7.00 mile avg. then was a 16 mile run in 6.54 avg mile.in 1 last long run was a 14.2mile with last 5k hilly 1.42.46. think i got a good bit done and takin it easy last week and half. what speed people rrecommend i should go off for first few miles. think 3.10 a reasonable target and if feeling good 16miles in will push to break 3.05.

Good stuff dougal, great times. Your first post of just deciding to do the marathon just a month ago and gaa training just set off alarm bells for me.

Your race times are great, best of luck and the main thing as said above it just to make sure you dont start off too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Just looked at the log and i will have run bang on 500miles by saturday for this marathon...really hope thats enough

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Anyone with advice re. knee supports? I've had a dull ache in my left knee since my 20 mile lsr 2.5 weeks ago. Physio says it's nothing structural thankfully - most likely tissue / cartilage damage from wear and tear. Have left it be since but it's still a bit achey after runs. My doctor told me last night I should be wearing a support. Anyone with any recommendations re. brands and where to purchase? Hope the knee holds out on the day. Bit nervous about adding something new so late in the day, but I suppose a decent knee support can't do any harm, while running without one might do just that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

La Di Da wrote: »
    Anyone with advice re. knee supports? I've had a dull ache in my left knee since my 20 mile lsr 2.5 weeks ago. Physio says it's nothing structural thankfully - most likely tissue / cartilage damage from wear and tear. Have left it be since but it's still a bit achey after runs. My doctor told me last night I should be wearing a support. Anyone with any recommendations re. brands and where to purchase? Hope the knee holds out on the day. Bit nervous about adding something new so late in the day, but I suppose a decent knee support can't do any harm, while running without one might do just that....
    I’m the exact same La Di Da, I have developed a pain in my left knee in the last week, I mentioned it to my physio and he said it was scar tissue. He performed some ultrasound on the side of my knee, which helped, but now I’m feeling it in the bottom of my knee! Not sure if I should try and get some more ultrasound or if a support would work, so interested in the responses to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 midnightrun

Irish indo pull out mag "fit" have some good articles on the marathon and preparation including a map today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Do you need the support with the hole for the knee cap or just a normal knee support?
    Most do the same job and the brands in the sports shop, while expensive, do the job fine. Make sure you try it on (I'm serious) as if its too tight or too loose you'll only have to bring it back.
    An alternate source, could be a chemist and just get one of those 'normal' compression bandages that hospitals use. Very cheap. - you can pick up different sizes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

My good friend Paddy with whom I am running the marathon & for the same cause got a great write up in the Mirror today! Good outcome from a bad situation. Page 23. Hope it's okay to post this.

Just registered for Berlin! :eek: I'll know if im a fool or not for doing it come Monday.

The first 10k sold out in 1 minute! :eek:

Could sell out pretty fast so just a heads up for people if they were interested in doing it.

You just have to pre-register for the moment i think until November 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

I would really suggest against a knee support unless you've been recommended it by an expert/physio.
    (you can read between the lines here than I don't consider GP's experts in the field of sport....)

It will change your running gait to a degree and will therefore put more stress on other places such as your ankles, and other leg - which will not be used to that.
    As with clothes, gels etc..... marathon day is not the day to try it out for the first time!!!! ;)

blockic wrote: »
    Just registered for Berlin! :eek: I'll know if im a fool or not for doing it come Monday.

Could sell out pretty fast so just a heads up for people if they were interested in doing it.

Oooh, you're brave!!! I'm afraid to register for anything til I get Monday out of the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

snowman224 wrote: »
    I would really suggest against a knee support unless you've been recommended it by an expert/physio.
    (you can read between the lines here than I don't consider GP's experts in the field of sport....)

It will change your running gait to a degree and will therefore put more stress on other places such as your ankles, and other leg - which will not be used to that.
    As with clothes, gels etc..... marathon day is not the day to try it out for the first time!!!! ;)

+1. Gp's generally don't have a clue about running or running injuries..
    I once wore a knee support for a race. It annoyed the hell out of me and was constantly dropping down, so after about 5 miles I just took it off and threw it away

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I had a sports massage this morning. The good news was that my legs were in good shape, the bad news is that my legs were in good shape so she couldn't find that problem that was holding me back and which would have miraculously made me faster:rolleyes: So I guess I will just have to go with what I have.

I had another dream last night about waking up late, this time there was espionage involved with spys deliberately adjusting all clocks to make me think I had overslept. I watched Tuesday nights episode of Homeland last night so I think that might have caused the dream. Homeland is brillant by the way if you haven't been watching it.

I also had planned to acclimatise to getting up at 6:30 so set my clock and woke up at 6:30 and promptly switched off the alarm and went back to sleep. No point in acclimatising all in one go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

3 Days, 21hrs, 42mins 29, 28, 27 seconds (just in case anyone is counting):D:D

Okay guys, its getting very close now and some, most or all of you will be feeling some, most or all of the following feelings: excited, terrified, anxious, nervous, worried, energised, restless, impatient, eager, relaxed…… How often have you checked the weather forecast?... I could keep going but you get the picture!!! This is all perfectly normal (well if you are doing a marathon, if not mmmm):rolleyes:

Remember for the day, make sure you have everything organised before hand and on the morning you will be full of nervous energy so you want to have very little to worry about. Just don’t forget to put on the bodyglide/Vaseline!!!

Get there in plenty of time, bring gear that you can have on while waiting, black back is a great idea and there will be loads of people wearing them so no need to worry about looking silly!!! Lots of you will!!!!!:D

Make sure you have warm clothes to change into after and make sure you have a change of shoes and socks (heels not recommended, for at least a week). Your feet will be swollen and maybe/likely to be blistered so something comfortable, crocs are great!!!

Do not go off too fast, don’t let the adrenalin pull you along too fast, better to go slower and saviour the atmosphere, it will be buzzing and so will you!!!!
    For the first 10 miles, you might think you are going too slow, but you will spend the last 10 miles passing hundreds and hundreds of walkers who got carried away at the start and are now going to come in 30 minutes behind you. And don't worry about getting stuck behind people and slowed down a little at the start. Don't run around them - you are only burning energy and adding to the distance you run. Wait for a gap to open up (or stick your hands through them to open up a gap) and keep relaxed.

If you fall behind schedule for some reason - crowds at the start, a pit stop, an open shoelace - don't worry about it, and don't go too fast trying to make up time or catch up with the pacers. Only speed up by 5-10 seconds a mile.

Even if you do run smart and at a steady pace, you might find at some point that the pace is just too much for you, and you are not going to make your target time. Have some secondary targets in mind, so you don't give up completely. Maybe you can't make sub 4, but you can still go under 4.10. maybe you can't get 4.30, but you can run every step of the way.

If you start walking, don't give up then either. Be strict with yourself and put limits on how much you walk - maybe you'll walk for 2 minutes, but then no more walking until the next mile marker, or until the next aid station. Even if you are running slowly, even if you are running no faster than you were walking, if you are running then you'll be able to speed up again soon enough.

During the race talking to yourself is allowed:p, talking to complete strangers is also allowed, but don’t fall in to the trap of chatting to someone who is going to hold you back a bit, keep going if your are moving faster than them!

Enjoy the race as much as you can and and remember if you think you are going too fast in the early stages then you are….slow down. There is no pressure for time on your first marathon. You have heard it on Boards a million times by now. Enjoy your first marathon, you’ll never get the chance to run you first one again!!! Enjoy the achievement!!

Now I’m not going to lie to you, but it will get difficult, now matter how much training you have done, there will be times when you just want to lie down and have a rest, again this is all part of running a marathon.. Try to keep moving, don’t stop or your legs will cramp up, if you do need to walk, keep moving…..if you are stopping try not to suddenly stop in the middle of the road, move to the side, be aware of other runners around you so try and not block or obstruct them, them may be feeling the pain too!!!

Now you have all heard of “Hitting the Wall”

“Hitting the wall” describes a condition caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles, which manifests itself by sudden fatigue and loss of energy. Milder instances can be remedied by brief rest and the ingestion of food or drinks containing carbohydrates. The condition can usually be avoided by ensuring that glycogen levels are high when the exercise begins, maintaining glucose levels during exercise by eating or drinking carbohydrate-rich substances, or by reducing exercise intensity. If you hit the wall one method of getting through it is to HTFU, psychologically tell yourself that it will not beat you. Another is to speed up!! yes speed up…...interesting reading here

When you have passed over the finish line some people will be emotional, others so wrecked that they don’t care, others will not get the emotional “high” and may just think … so what is all the fuss about?
    Everyone is different....

When you cross the line do not stop, keep moving, if you need medical assistance it will be available at the end, here’s hoping none of you need it!!:eek: Do not stand around getting cold with muscles tightening up, get your bags and get some warm clothes on, get something to eat, you should have something in your bag.(Banana & bagel are handy) Keep moving while doing this and Drink…sports drinks, water anything you can get your hands on and keep drinking until your urine is the pale straw colour that you all know!!! Then when you get to that point, then its time for real drinks in McGrattans!!! I hear Guinness is a great recovery drink!!!;) Make sure that you all get something decent to eat too, when your stomach is up to it. Your glycogen stores are completely depleted so you need food….. You’ll recover much quicker if you take in Carbs…continue to eat carbs for at least 2 days after the marathon and protein to help the muscles rebuild and repair and to reload fully.

Over the course of the evening, try to keep moving, do not sit with your feet up all evening (like I did the first year and then all hope of walking went out the window):eek:, keep the blood flowing.

The next day if you have to do any stairs walk down them backwards (I’m not joking) this will take the strain of the quads, which will be roaring at you!! Again try to keep moving, eat well and keep sipping at water and sport drinks. You will be very “tender” so no sudden movements!!!

The next 2- 5 days you will suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)…. more reading!! (well what else will you be doing over the next few days)

What should you do to combat DOMS…no running until the soreness has subsided, you are placing yourself at injury risk if you run before your muscles have a chance to begin repairing…….
    go for walks, go swimming, biking, plenty of baths( with Epsom salt bath if you have it), get a massage ( I think there are arguments for & against this so everyone decide for themselves, if you’ve never has one before, now is not the time to start…..sleep, lots of sleep!!

Forget about running plans, training schedules etc for a few days and give your brain (& partner, family, workmates etc;)) a rest!!

After the first week the soreness should be gone, if there are any injury worries, get then looked at. A massage this week is certainly a great idea!!

Hal Higdon has a 4 week recovery plan to start one week after the marathon so I’ll post that then.

Best of Luck to everyone, I hope you all have a very enjoyable and memorable first marathon and for those of you who are running second or subsequent, enjoy it too!!
    Soak up the atmosphere, respect the distance and all the other runners too….Enjoy, enjoy , enjoy….I hope to catch up with lots of you after in McGrattans!!

"Running is not, as it so often seems, only about what you did in your last race or about how many miles you ran last week. It is, in a much more important way, about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too." --Richard O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Really great stuff, Younganne thanks a million :)

Just on a personal note: the idea of speeding up when you get tired/hit the wall is something that I accidentally stumbled on during training...It's amazing how it helps, despite being so counterintuitive.....but it does for me!

Best of luck to everyone in these final few days! :)

^^^ Great post Younganne, very inspirational stuff.... I'm all pumped after reading it.... come on Monday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Wow....go you!! Sure you'll have nearly a year to recover from DCM 2012. No bother to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think I have most of my stuff sorted. Just bought a woolly hat.....actually had to buy two cause they're so cute :o

Anybody want to meet up on Sunday at the expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Thanks for that... just joined you ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I think I have most of my stuff sorted. Just bought a woolly hat.....actually had to buy two cause they're so cute :o

Was thinking about this also, would be great to meet up at the expo on Sunday, I plan to be there lunch time, 1ish probably. Would be lovely to meet some boardies there:-)

Runchick wrote: »
    Was thinking about this also, would be great to meet up at the expo on Sunday, I plan to be there lunch time, 1ish probably. Would be lovely to meet some boardies there:-)

I shall also be there sunday around 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Just did a slow 7km there at lunch.
    Took in the infamous Roebuck mountain.

As was said here before (and although I might eat these words on Monday), there really is nothing to be apprehensive about.

Its very short, although reasonably steep. Around 100m long and then you get a really nice long flowing downhill all the way to N11.
    So just remember the nice easy bit you have after it and I think we'll all be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I shall also be there sunday around 1!

Now it's back to the whole ' how will I know you' scenario ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ahh...I would've loved to meet up with all of you but I'm thinking Saturaday might be better if I'm on my feet for a few hours at that thing or maybe I'm sheltering myself too much??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Hey folks,just spent the last two days catching up on the thread,was away on holidays for the week,had to run on holidays,something just not right about that:rolleyes:

Good to see taper madness has set in with everyone,im just as bad myself even on my second one,the dreams are just as crazy this year aswell!!I'm at that nervous excited stage again,its a great feeling!!Try relax yourselves the next few days,everything is done,your going to rip the lid off it!!The real excitement will get going when you get to the expo and pick up your numbers and race pack,the buzz in the place is fantastic,that's when it starts to kick in that your part of something great here!

Younganns great post covered everything you need for monday,I'll be heading into pennys on sat to pick up my cheap tracksuit to keep me warm on the morning.My bit of advice on people planning on using earphones would be really don't bother taking them,I did last year and by mile 13 they were gone on the side of the road,the support on the course is surreal,better than any music to keep you motivated and to push on and bring you home!!I'm hoping to see the "Chuck Norris never ran a Marathon" sign again this year :D

Also on the course there will be an unlimited supply of free sweets,jellies,sliced oranges,the crowds are unreal,people with buckets of sweets to help you on.Hang in there,only four sleeps left!!

LeakRate wrote: »
    My bit of advice on people planning on using earphones would be really don't bother taking them,I did last year and by mile 13 they were gone on the side of the road,the support on the course is surreal,better than any music to keep you motivated and to push on and bring you home!!
    I’ve just been thinking about this the last couple of days, I normally listen to music or an audio book on my LSR’s and had been planning to wear my earphones on Monday, but I’m beginning to have second thoughts. On one hand, I like having the distraction of music, but then on the other hand, I would miss a lot of the support and also the organisers strongly advise against using them, so I am dithering over bringing them or leaving them at home. Was anyone else planning to listen to music?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Leave the headphones behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ncmc wrote: »
    Was anyone else planning to listen to music?

While I am an avid music fan, I ditched the headphones earlier this year and haven't looked back - much better to be running with your own thoughts, and actually easier to pace, in my experience. Plus in a big race with thousands of competitors, you need to be able to tune in to the slightest sounds around you. Leave them at home and - you won't regret it, I promise!

Now it's back to the whole ' how will I know you' scenario ;-)

I'll be hanging around with all my good buddies the kenyans ;)

Ha, we'll work something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I would seriously advise to ditch the headphones , i have watched the last 3 DCMs from the sidelines and the banter from crowd is great. Way better than eye of the tiger.

I was getting goose bumps and I wasn't even running.

Probably the main reason im doing it, is due to those goose bumps i got.

Feel the love baby, feel the love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Yep, I've spent enough lonely hours running with my headphones, time to feel the love indeed.

Advertisement