Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Pace bands done :cool: one step closer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Acceptance slip printed and signed* Bin bag tailor made....took me 2 attempts....don't ask! In the process of rounding up all my clothes....this is not looking like its going to be a light bag

Stupid question alert: What am I going to do with my wallet?....it says not to leave any valuables in your race bag :confused:

* (Note to self: do NOT forget to bring it with you)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stupid question alert: What am I going to do with my wallet?....it says not to leave any valuables in your race bag :confused:

It's safe enough - according to the guy in charge of the baggage area last year, there were no problems reported. But it's not perfectly safe, so bring what you need but don't leave an ipad or passport in your bag:).

Lovely thanks Ray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

RayCun wrote: »

It's safe enough - according to the guy in charge of the baggage area last year, there were no problems reported. But it's not perfectly safe, so bring what you need but don't leave an ipad or passport in your bag:).

I was wondering this too, how safe would it be to leave my phone in my bag? Or is there an easier way I could arrange to meet my OH after the race? The thoughts of the big crowds are beginning to scare me to find people after 
    I really wish it was even the weekend cos I've running on the brain, am even dreading going to bed tonight in case I can't sleep. Least come Friday eve I'll be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Runchick wrote: »
    Time to practice some self-discipline..

Did somebody read 50 shades recently ? :D

Did somebody read 50 shades recently ? :D
    Have you?

Have you?

Read all 3 to see what the fuss was about !

Edit - More accurately read 1st one to see what fuss was about and then figured I may as well see how the story went thereafter. :D (Will be slated for that I'm sure but it is the truth ! :) )

Read all 3 to see what the fuss was about !
    And....what is all the fuss about?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

First male Ive encountered who read them - fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

no gaa in kenya.. im 30 and runnin fairly seriously for about year in between gaa season. done 5 races this year. 5k pb 17.56, 8k pb 29.49, 10k pb 38 mins flat. aslo done a dualathon in march and was 7th and warriors run in sligo in 1h.08m. started trainin seriously for marathon bout 1 month ago. first run was 14mile with avg mile of 7.02. next was 16mile in 7.10 avg. then 21mile in 2.32.04 7.14 avg per mile. next was 8mile hilly run in 7.00 mile avg. then was a 16 mile run in 6.54 avg mile.in 1 last long run was a 14.2mile with last 5k hilly 1.42.46. think i got a good bit done and takin it easy last week and half. what speed people rrecommend i should go off for first few miles. think 3.10 a reasonable target and if feeling good 16miles in will push to break 3.05.

And....what is all the fuss about?

The mainstream "fuss" was an over reaction. The adult stuff is actually relatively tame. The writing itself isn't Shakespeare but isn't as bad as most people seem to say. The storyline behind it all was more interesting to me personally.

SnailsPace wrote: »
    First male Ive encountered who read them - fair play

More likely just the first who isn't embarrassed to say so. :D

dougal13 wrote: »
    no gaa in kenya.. im 30 and runnin fairly seriously for about year in between gaa season. done 5 races this year. 5k pb 17.56, 8k pb 29.49, 10k pb 38 mins flat. aslo done a dualathon in march and was 7th and warriors run in sligo in 1h.08m. started trainin seriously for marathon bout 1 month ago. first run was 14mile with avg mile of 7.02. next was 16mile in 7.10 avg. then 21mile in 2.32.04 7.14 avg per mile. next was 8mile hilly run in 7.00 mile avg. then was a 16 mile run in 6.54 avg mile.in 1 last long run was a 14.2mile with last 5k hilly 1.42.46. think i got a good bit done and takin it easy last week and half. what speed people rrecommend i should go off for first few miles. think 3.10 a reasonable target and if feeling good 16miles in will push to break 3.05.

Very impressive times !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Acceptance slip printed and signed* Bin bag tailor made....took me 2 attempts....don't ask! In the process of rounding up all my clothes....

Printing acceptance slip, getting The Outfit into the washing machine, laying out all the other bits & pieces & was going to style my bin-bag-cover-up tomorrow. Any tips? What do I not do? :)

Home from Tesco now with sensible dinners for the rest of the week & a half trolley load of treats for Monday evening! 5 more sleeps (if I can actually sleep, this is like waiting for Christmas & a big exam on the same day!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3:10 pace sounds about right. Plenty of lads with those times would be gunning for sub 3 but being your first marathon with only 1 run over 20 miles then that would probably be a bit too ambitious. I'd say go at your own pace in front of the 3:15 pacers and try to keep the average pace (if you have a Garmin) around 7:10/mile...as you say if you are feeling good near the end you can kick on a bit. Remember getting under 3:10 will get you a guaranteed entry for London marathon (if you can just find a UK address ;)).

Best of luck and make sure your mate gets a sticker for the first wave for your bib.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Wow! That wud b my sprint pace 😊, well done u, shud b no bother to u! Good luck

I had a ridiculous marathon dream last night.

I was standing near the start which was on nassau street and an announcement was made for all the novices to do a warm up by walking down to Pearse st train station area - led by someone looking a lot like Ray Darcy. :confused: Anyway as we reach the train station we hear the gun go off to start the race so everyone legs it back towards nassau street. I'm at the front of the crowd and I come across some police tape with a guard telling us all to go away as the marathon has started and to wait for it to finish before we could cross (in other words we were all treated as cars / traffic) I duck under the tape and join the front of the crowd - we're all passing through a single airport type scanner as the starting chip mat. Then after getting through that I entered an area that could only be described as a cross between a cargo net and a duty free shop. Literally bouncing around on a net trying to navigate past stalls and stands of drink, teddy bears and running gear. I'm getting more and more annoyed that this is effecting my time and I am losing time etc.

Then I realise with horror that I have messed up completely and have joined the front of the race, am in the wrong wave and the 5 hour pacers are ages behind me - rendering them useless because if I follow them I will have started that far ahead of them my 5 hour time is gone. Then I decide to go it alone - look down at my wrist and realise I don't have my watch on. I'm getting very very very uptight at this stage - my race is ruined before it has started, I'm gutted - about to throw a huge tantrum then it dawns on me that this must be a dream. A couple of seconds of confusion and I decide it's definitely a dream at which point I wake up.

Analyse that one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I can only dream. Good luck with the race...great times

I had a ridiculous marathon dream last night.

I was standing near the start which was on nassau street and an announcement was made for all the novices to do a warm up by walking down to Pearse st train station area - led by someone looking a lot like Ray Darcy. :confused: Anyway as we reach the train station we hear the gun go off to start the race so everyone legs it back towards nassau street. I'm at the front of the crowd and I come across some police tape with a guard telling us all to go away as the marathon has started and to wait for it to finish before we could cross (in other words we were all treated as cars / traffic) I duck under the tape and join the front of the crowd - we're all passing through a single airport type scanner as the starting chip mat. Then after getting through that I entered an area that could only be described as a cross between a cargo net and a duty free shop. Literally bouncing around on a net trying to navigate past stalls and stands of drink, teddy bears and running gear. I'm getting more and more annoyed that this is effecting my time and I am losing time etc.

Then I realise with horror that I have messed up completely and have joined the front of the race, am in the wrong wave and the 5 hour pacers are ages behind me - rendering them useless because if I follow them I will have started that far ahead of them my 5 hour time is gone. Then I decide to go it alone - look down at my wrist and realise I don't have my watch on. I'm getting very very very uptight at this stage - my race is ruined before it has started, I'm gutted - about to throw a huge tantrum then it dawns on me that this must be a dream. A couple of seconds of confusion and I decide it's definitely a dream at which point I wake up.

Analyse that one :D

If you insist!
    -you have a man crush on Ray D'Arcy .... this explains why he is appearing in your dreams
    -you have ambitions to become an elite marathon runner .... hence the starting at the front
    -you have negative feelings towards An Garda Siochana .... in the dream they are an obstacle to your success
    -you are well travelled .... the airport security/duty free shop
    -you are eagerly anticipating the birth of your child ..... teddy bears
    -you have been sandbagging (i think that is the term used) about your injury and keeping it secret that you are in fact going with the 4.30 pacers .... the 5 hr pacers are behind/you're going alone/no watch

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

If you insist!
    -you have a man crush on Ray D'Arcy .... this explains why he is appearing in your dreams
    -you have ambitions to become an elite marathon runner .... hence the starting at the front
    -you have negative feelings towards An Garda Siochana .... in the dream they are an obstacle to your success
    -you have been sandbagging (i think that is the term used) about your injury and keeping it secret that you are in fact going with the 4.30 pacers .... the 5 hr pacers are behind/you're going alone/no watch

LOL - I'd thank that 10+ times if I could. :D

Printing acceptance slip, getting The Outfit into the washing machine, laying out all the other bits & pieces & was going to style my bin-bag-cover-up tomorrow. Any tips? What do I not do? :)
    Don't overthink it :D

I can't even explain how I managed to cut it so that the pointy edges of the bag were at the front instead of the sides :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

If you insist!

Yeap agree with the sandbagging...all this injury talk is spoof :)

Pagliac wrote: »
    Someone answer me here please!<spam link removed>
    Thank you! :)

Don't click - another spammer

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dougal13

Ya all depends if i can get into the first wave, be devastated if i can't. Would 20e get me in :-(.knowing how competitive i am i Will try and push for the best time possible. Ya have a 305 garmen. Best think i ever got. Thanks for the good wishes. My fiancee is originally from England so no prob with address for London! That be unreal. what would people recommend with gels. On my 21 mile run took first on 9 miles and other on 15 and then when i felt i was beginning to struggle had no left. Im i taken them to late and should i bring somethin else with me. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do not quote spam link posts. Please use the report post button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ya all depends if i can get into the first wave, be devastated if i can't. Would 20e get me in :-(.knowing how competitive i am i Will try and push for the best time possible. Ya have a 305 garmen. Best think i ever got. Thanks for the good wishes. My fiancee is originally from England so no prob with address for London! That be unreal. what would people recommend with gels. On my 21 mile run took first on 9 miles and other on 15 and then when i felt i was beginning to struggle had no left. Im i taken them to late and should i bring somethin else with me. Thanks.

General thing is to take 4 gels, even if you think you don't need them- normally at 6/11/15/21.but it's personal choice really.
    Regarding moving waves, yep, there's an office at the expo where you can do this. I done it last year ( in hindsight I shouldn't have :-) ). Last year it was just on the right hand side as you enter.

Best of luck with the run, just be careful and respect the distance for the whole way around. Your times are fantastic, but don't set off too quick and blow at 22m!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Don't overthink it :D

I can't even explain how I managed to cut it so that the pointy edges of the bag were at the front instead of the sides :confused:

Don't you just cut a hole in the bottom big enough to stick your head through and then poke your arms through the sides? I'm intrigued now...bin liner fashion tips gladly accepted. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Runchick wrote: »
    Don't you just cut a hole in the bottom big enough to stick your head through and then poke your arms through the sides? I'm intrigued now...bin liner fashion tips gladly accepted. ;-)

Don't forget the stickers & Glitter & ribbons & Bows :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Arm holes in your bin bags is not necessary, will only make more holes where the cold can get in or that you'll end up in a tangle and rip it off too soon.

Advertisement