Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options
1202203204205206208»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I was one of the 4 hour pacers. One of the ones telling the jokes :D
    One of the other pacers tore his achilles and kept going. Was a big bunch this year and the banter was great, it always gets quieter near the end but thats to be expected. That was my 60th marathon btw. See you all next year :P

I feel a little inadequate moaning about my trials now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

So i'm itching to go so I've started the new thread here.

So come on over! :D

If there are still race reports to come in, they can still be put here of course!

Younganne, thanks for all your help this year, I think we are ready to fly the nest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Finally I write this ...
    After a shaky start to the weekend (ended up at doc on Saturday for antibiotic for slight chest infection) it was Monday morning. I had slept ok, woke between 2 & 4:30 with sore chest but managed to get back to sleep. Had porridge and few cornflakes and got taxi to baggage area. Said goodbye to hubbie and daughter at 7:55 and off I went. Went to toilet in baggage area and then decided to head to start area. Decided to queue again for toilet at starting area as queue was getting quite long. Little did I know that I would hear Amhrán na bhFiann there and hear the gun for Wave 1 go off too. After 40 minutes queuing :eek: I arrived out just in time (9:05). Wave 2 were being summoned to the line. I managed to slot in at top gate right in front of the 4 hour pacers. I was delighted with myself as I really thought I would be caught at back of Wave 2. Panic set in for a minute then as I had forgotten to turn on the Garmin and it took a good 2 minutes to find satellites. It picked it up just in time and we were off. Ran first 2/3 miles with a girl I had chatted to in toilet queue. Noticed straight away that my legs were feeling quite heavy but was hoping they would loosen up. Up to the week of marathon I was secretly contemplating running with the 3.45 pacers but when I got sick I decided not to risk it and the main thing was to finish it. I also was very uneasy about my chest...would it hold up for the entire run?
    First mile were very slow but then it thinned out abit and I was able to quicken pace. Decided to run at about 8:40 pace for a few miles and see how I felt. Loved running through the park, was only my second time running there (did half in sept). Probably ran too fast up chapelizod, felt abit breathless at top and warnings signs went off in my head so I slowed it down abit. Planned a toilet break at 12 miles and I was delighted to see no queues there. Legs were still feeling quite heavy and knew they weren't going to loosen at that stage. Felt like I was plodding the whole time. Where were the nice fresh legs I was promised after taper??? Had taken gels at 5 and 12 miles and took another at 16. My stomach started to cramp abit so I took another toilet stop just in case but was ok.

Hubbie and daughter had planned to go to milltown at mile 18 to see me. That had kept me going to that point. Unfortunately I couldn't see them anywhere (they were shouting at me but I just missed them) I was pretty disappointed I must say but on I went. Two miles later I saw a familiar face, I looked again. It was Ray Darcy. He turned to me and said 'Well Done'. That really cheered me up. Mile 18 turned to Mile 20 and I was on the home stretch. Ate a banana from a spectator, I was starting to get hungry. Pace had slowed abit here - 8:50mi. After a quick calculation i knew I was still on for a sub 3:50 finish. I just had to keep the pace steady. At this stage I was passing a good few walkers and slow joggers. Thought I obviously felt really sorry for them, it kinda helped me to be passing them and to keep going. I was determined not to stop and walk. Found Roebuck hill fine, asked nearest runner 'was that the last hill?' and was delighted to here 'yes - flat to the finish'.

On I ran, crowds getting bigger. I was conscious of keeping steady pace and not blowing up at this stage. I couldn't wait to cross the line at this stage. As I turned the last corner past Trinity I realised my watch was nearly at 26.2 miles but I couldnt see the finish line. 'Oh no' more to run and I was running out of time for my sub 3:50. Asking 2 spectators 'Where's the finish?', 'up ahead - your nearly there'. I took off at a sprint (probably just a fast run at this stage)...these were the longest few metres of my life. Crossed the line...3:50:38.

After crossing the line I kept walking at a good pace, collected medal, goody bag, walked past Physio tent, walked to abbey street and onto Luas. Headed straight to hotel pool - sauna, hot tub, and swam a few easy lengths - BLISS. Think this really helped the recovery afterwards.

Favourite signs - Mortuary Ahead - Look alive, It's just You v's You (this was after Roebuck I think), There's no app for running so keep going (or something like that)

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?

Had done the Limerick Marathon in May and hadn't had proper break after it. Really felt tired the last few week of training for DCM so maybe to have taken a proper break/rest before starting training again.
    Also on the day you will probably run more than 26.2 miles so factor this in if you are aiming for a specific time!

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?

Start now and build up your runs to 2 - 3 - 4 days a week. Get any niggles seen to a.s.a.p. Get a running partner for motivation and company. Take the plan 1 week as a time.

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?

Low - getting injured and couldn't run for 2 and half weeks, getting sick the week of the marathon.

Highs - getting to mile 20 on the day and realising my legs and chest would make the finish line.
    Knocking 7 minutes off my Limerick time.
    Ray Darcy saying 'well done' at the time I needed a boost!

Do you plan on doing another marathon? Yes. for some reason I want to do Dingle but maybe not in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Niteowl, you were very stong in Limerick and I knew you'd have no trouble in DCM, I expect to see you back in DCM 2013 looking for something in the 3:3x region if not faster, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

And so the 2012 Novice thread comes to a close. Congrats and well done to all of you who successfully made it through the training to complete your first marathon. For those of you who didn't make the start line, don't worry your day will come.:D

Best of Luck to you all in your running careers and the graduation class is here now, with your new Trainer!! Onwards and Upwards!!;)

Keep the race reports coming in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Younganne wrote: »
    And so the 2012 Novice thread comes to a close. Congrats and well done to all of you who successfully made it through the training to complete your first marathon. For those of you who didn't make the start line, don't worry your day will come.:D

Best of Luck to you all in your running careers and the graduation class is here now, with your new Trainer!! Onwards and Upwards!!;)

Keep the race reports coming in!

Thanks again Anne.

Promise you will come and visit us ??? :)

Thanks again Anne.

Promise you will come and visit us ??? :)

I'll be keeping an eye on you all, just to see all the improvements;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Donal112 wrote: »
    Chatted briefly to Denis (I think?) on Fortfield road, asked me if I was a Boardsie cos of my name on my t-shirt. Didn’t get your username tho! Anyway, apologies for not being better company, I was battling inner demons at that stage, trying not to slow too much and looking out for family. You looked in great shape at that stage and pulled away from me pretty quickly. In hindsight I definitely should have tried to have a proper chat and run with you for a bit, it might have given me a second wind.

That was me, Donal. Don't know what you're talking about - your company was fine! I was happy to say hello and move on, at that stage of the race I was definitely starting to feel it and wouldn't have had much stomach for chat. Glad you made it through and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Do not just read what the experienced people on here say, do exactly what they say!!

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?

Please Do it - it is a massive achievement, do look after yourself, listen to your body, eat well, get sports massages, if the experienced runners say run 'slowly' listen.

Low - running for 11 months with no niggles/sickness - nothing, until after Athlone 3/4 on 7th Oct, when the physio said I should give the DCM a miss, due to swollen knee, tight calf etc.
    No running for 22 days before the marathon.
    Catching a chesty cough 3 days before marathon.
    Missing my sub4 plan by 30mins

Highs -
    Having never ran before 12 months ago, and realising I have logged 1,200km this year.
    Making it across the line in one piece.
    Realising as I was about 50m before the line, that I now had to decide which marathon to do next.
    The night on my own in the hotel the night before, had not been away from the 2 kids since they were born.
    Getting clattered in the head by flying clothes as I stand against the barrier (novices error)

Do you plan on doing another marathon?

Yes. London maybe, or Cork or Limerick or Rotterdam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Highs
    The night on my own in the hotel the night before, had not been away from the 2 kids since they were born.
    Getting clattered in the head by flying clothes as I stand against the barrier (novices error)

My thanks is for these two comments :D

I feel your pain. I had twins as a first shot at parenthood. Without question, I would have done a four hour marathon for a one night break. I probably would have done a marathon for a break for even just the duration of the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Been away for most of the last week, but took the time to reflect a little more on my marathon debut. So here's the final race report - far too long for the casual observer, but might be of interest to those who, like me, enjoy the gory details!

Target – 3:59
    Actual – 4.02
    Verdict – Must try harder.

The day started at 6am with the usual breakfast: porridge, honey and banana, cup of coffee. Got a lift in from my lovely wife who to be fair to her – she is a runner, just not a marathon runner, yet – was even more excited than me looking at the thousands of people converging on Merrion Sq. It was indeed an inspiring, and rather daunting, sight.

The bag drop took seconds (great organisation and stewarding). Got to the start in no time despite the huge numbers of people on Baggot St. I was wearing several layers and glad of the heavier sweatshirt in the chill. The four-hour pacers were in position and I picked up a paceband from one of them. Turned out it was in miles, which I don’t do, so it was of limited use, and to be honest the eyesight isn’t the best with the small print. For some reason (to be frank, I was a little intimidated), I didn’t introduce myself to the pacers, deciding to tuck in behind them and wait till the business section of things. While waiting, got talking to a nice lady who turned out to have followed the same training schedule as me and had a similar, if younger dog. She even pulled out the phone to show me a picture.

(She could well be a boardsie and if so I hope you made your 4:10!)

Peeled off the hoodie just before the start, wished my new acquaintance a good race and we were off. And so were the pacers, cutting through the crowd quicker than me – in fact it would transpire that I never would catch them at all. Nevertheless, I was able to keep them well in the sights and the 100 yard gap was to remain manageable, more or less, for the next three hours.

Came across the first casualty on Dorset St. An older man was down, and didn’t look too good, but people had stopped and he was in good hands so we pressed on. Some of my family were out to wave at the NCR junction so was able to throw them my extra layer and hat, perhaps a little prematurely given the chill of the day. Not too much later we came across the first walker, somewhere on NCR I think, so our nice easy 4-hour pace was looking even more impressive (unfair to measure ourselves against early casualties, but on your first marathon you will look for a boost from everywhere). From there through the park was pure pleasure – fabulous weather conditions, if still a bit cold, and fairly well managed water stops (although the later ones were employing more lateral thinking about how to distribute the stuff). So by the time I hit Chapelizod bridge and some more friends shouting out I was right on schedule and feeling great. So far so good.

No problems through halfway. Really enjoyed the crowds in Inchicore, Rialto and everywhere really. Water stops were going well – just getting a bottle and taking a few sips. Never felt thirsty or overhydrated at any point in the race in fact. Gel strategy was for 10, 20, 29, 37k. Had never taken more than two gels before so was winging this one a little. Thought I might need it over the last 5k but in reality I may have wasted that one or left it too late.

Around halfway my left shoe started to feel a bit tight. I didn’t pay much heed but it gradually started to play on my mind more and more. Temporarily distracted myself from this worry by introducing myself to boardsie Donal112, who was looking good and getting plenty of shout outs from the spectators thanks to his “Run Donal Run” shirt. I didn’t bother him for long and pressed on, the shoe still bothering me. I had needlessly retied this shoe just before the start, out of nervous energy more than any real need. Guess I overdid it. By Terenure Road East (27k mark) I pulled over to the footpath and retied the shoe. When I got back, the pacers, who had been maybe 150m yards ahead, had pulled almost out of sight. But I could still see them (for now) so I felt the sub-4 was fine. The watch was telling me everything was OK, and I wasn’t in the slightest bit concerned, such was the buzz. At Bushy Park, I passed my aunt who spotted me and gave me a great shout out. Really enjoyed the leafy roads around Dartry, but by Milltown the legs started to feel a bit heavy. Nothing dramatic and hard to describe – a sort of creeping tightness at back of right leg, I think, The Clonskeagh stretch didn’t help that situation, but on hitting Roebuck Road in 3:01, 32k into the race, my average pace was still 5:39 – a second under schedule. So all I had to do was get up the hill and coast home…

Heartbreak hill was tough. I had fallen a bit more behind the pace group so at this point, going up the hill, it almost felt like I was running alone – although I did notice the walkers! My own pace slowed to 6:02 for the 2k from Clonskeagh road. I guess I wasn’t expecting the uphill section to be so long (1.6k or so according to the Garmin) and by the time I got to the welcome downhill stretch at Fosters Avenue, when I scanned the long road ahead of me there was no sign of the 4-hour pacers. At this point I had to be at least 700m behind them and it wasn’t looking good (in fact I would not see them again until after the finish line). The watch, incredibly, was still showing me a 5:40 average – the marathon pace I had trained at. So I was asking myself why were the pacers out of sight – had they allowed for a slow finish, or for a significantly longer race? Of course it would have been great to have been close enough to ask them! The Garmin would later confirm that my race was 42.5 kilometers: enough to account for an extra 1:45 at my marathon pace. A schoolboy error on my part. In the excitement of my marathon debut I just didn’t factor in this extra distance.

And as it transpired, that was it – my pace never really got back on track on the route in from Stillorgan – Heartbreak had broken me! I dropped precious seconds on all the remaining kilometers, finding it very tough on the dual carriageway, Nutley Lane, Merrion Road and Shelbourne Road. A man who looked in his mid sixties passed at a good clip and I tried to hang onto him but didn’t have it. But then I had a great boost at the bridge at Grand Canal Street where my wife and daughters were waiting. The missus ran out to shout me on and even got in a few photos here! So I pressed on with the spirits a bit higher. All along the remaining stretch (and in fact all the way since Roebuck) I was passing people who had stopped to stretch and to walk, so I was grateful to be still on my feet. On Pearse St. a runner was lying on the footpath, attended by a steward. “Only one more mile”, he was saying, ruefully, as I passed. Around College Green was incredible with the noise. Rounding onto Nassau St, I glanced at the watch and saw the time click to 4:00:00 with the finish line in sight. A guy in front slowed, leaned over a barrier, and vomited about a half gallon of what looked like pure water onto the street. On Clare St, I played to the crowd as the green carpet loomed. There were so few runners around me that I could see the photographers and monopolise the frame, so got a few excellent pics. Over the line at 4:02:29 and the first person I saw was the over sixties gent who’d left me for dead at the RDS, so I guess he didn’t get away from me as easily as I’d first thought. I chatted to him in the chute and joked that I hadn’t been able to keep up and he laughed and congratulated me on my time, telling me this was about his 40th marathon but he’d only just learned how to run them properly.

The post race scene was a blur. Again, the bag drop was smooth. No problem getting an XL shirt (I’m normally a L but had learned the sizing strategy at the Frank Duffy). As I struggled into my fresh socks and tracksuit bottoms, gingerly as the legs were seizing up, a guy close by starting roaring in sheer agony with cramp. Slight amusement turned to horror as he rolled around on the ground and it took his mates and an ambulance crew a good 5 minutes to sort him out.

It put things into perspective. I had trained well. I was injury free. My legs were tired but still working. I had run the whole course, stopping only to retie my shoe. Hydration was bang on, no discomfort or toilet stops. Had downed more gels than ever before without feeling any side effects. No cramps. Much of my error, from the beginning of the training programme, was to have a MP in mind that was just a bit too slow for a sub-4 time. I lost the pacers, stuck to my own pace and it cost me. Will it happen again? Don’t think so!

A great day that will live in the mind forever – everything was fabulous. The record-breaking number of participants; the scale of the event; the organisation; the stewarding; the big hearts of my fellow runners. And most of all I will cherish crossing the line in one piece, with the biggest of big grins on my face.

Congrats on a super debut performance murphd77

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Well done Murphd77!

I finished less than 2 mins ahead of you so we probably brushed elbows a few times during the day.

I promised I'd never do it again too but I'm slowly coming around and re-considering doing one again someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Sorry to take the conversation off-topic but if anyone is interested: Parkrun Malahide had just started up.

It is a free, timed 5k run every Saturday morning at 9.30am in the grounds of Malahide Castle.

Register here: http://www.parkrun.ie
    Print off your Barcode and turn up.

More info on Boards.ie here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81499093

Should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

· Doing the marathon is enjoyable. Runners talk about the pain but on the day you will also have a lot of fun.
    · Family/friends can get really close to the start and finish lines.

· Do it. Stick to the plan.
    · Get a running partner for motivation and company even if it is someone who will accompany you on part of the long slow runs towards the end of the plan.
    · Contribute to the thread. It will help you from driving those nearest to you daft when you begin to think about running all the time! People here will answer questions no matter how silly or embarrassing they may seem.
    · There is a video where you can get an idea of the route so it doesn’t matter if are not able to do practice runs along the route.
    · Collect some money for charity – set a realistic target. People’s generosity will surprise you.

Highs – Seeing my sister and two girls running up towards me. It was on Terrenure Road where the route only took up one part of the road and there were no cars on the other side. I was able to run across and I got hugs from my girls and husband. He had some extra gels on hand as I’d lost one. Their smiles and cheers helped me on my way. I knew they were so proud of me especially my mam who had a heart attack a few years ago and I raised money for two heart foundations.

Crossing the finish line in under 5 hours whilst waving and cheering to the crowd. I loved it especially when my family were ready and waiting at the end and it was so easy to meet them. We’d a lovely lunch in Rathgar and I proudly wore my finisher’s top and medal.

The signs along the way especially “16 weeks ago this seemed like a good idea”; “If it was easy, everyone would do it”; and “Look lively, there’s a morgue ahead”. Loads of children giving high fives.

The stories, advice and information on this thread. Thank you all especially YoungAnne.

Lows – The Olygate Half Marathon in Wexford. A picturesque run but for much of this I was on my own and felt lonely even though I’m used to running on my own. I felt so slow and was happy just to finish it especially as I’d huge blisters. My husband gave me a cup of tea with sugar which helped pick up my spirits (the simple things!). When we got back to my sister’s house, she opened some bubbly to celebrate the fact that I kept going. After a couple of days I was back out running and following the plan.

My first day back at work (5 November) and realising this journey has come to an end. I’ve tears in my eyes writing this as it’s been such an amazing experience. I loved it.

Do you plan on doing another marathon? You never know.
    This was always meant to be a once in a lifetime thing for me. I now would love to do another marathon and know I have the ability to do it. However, I’ll be moving to a more challenging role in work in a few weeks which will hopefully lead to a promotion. Also, I want to have another baby. All in all, that doesn’t leave much time for anything else. I will keep running and go back to bootcamp. Maybe in a few years, I’ll be back doing the DCM trying to beat my time or get a ballot place in the London marathon which is where I live.

Thanks again folks. Good luck to everyone who will be doing the DCM 2013.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

I was looking at the marathon improves thread and gained heart from the incredible time improvements on it, especially Younganne;

2006 - 7.26 (run/walk and & dragging my running partner for 8m after she hit the wall!! ( 10k @ 1.38, 13.2 @ 3.28, 26.2 @ 7.26)
    2010 - 4.41 ran the whole way (except for about 6 toilet breaks)
    2011 - 4.27 - ran the whole way - 1 toilet breat
    2012 - 3.57 ran the whole way no toilet breaks

As someone who would love to target to 4.30 next year (4.57, 2012) please let me in on your secrets,:confused: especially between 2012 and 2011! :D

Back at it yesterday with a nice 5 miler in 47minutes; I haven't run that quick in ages!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 longterm

I have a DCM running top it is size small i need a medium pm me beaumont area

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

lrak wrote: »
    I was looking at the marathon improves thread and gained heart from the incredible time improvements on it, especially Younganne;

2006 - 7.26 (run/walk and & dragging my running partner for 8m after she hit the wall!! ( 10k @ 1.38, 13.2 @ 3.28, 26.2 @ 7.26)

As someone who would love to target to 4.30 next year (4.57, 2012) please let me in on your secrets,:confused: especially between 2012 and 2011! :D

Back at it yesterday with a nice 5 miler in 47minutes; I haven't run that quick in ages!

Thanks
    also did 4 hr 57 mins and want to know the secret! also took about six toilet breaks and in awe of you running with no break. can't seem to get that right!

NYC Marathon cancelled - sorry for Marthastew who travelled I think.

In Irish Independent this morning its says irish New York marathon entrants are going to run marathon on nov 18th in park in order to honour charity commitments etc they will get official t shirts medals etc. they are hoping to do loops in park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

dechol wrote: »
    also took about six toilet breaks and in awe of you running with no break. can't seem to get that right!

I used to have to take 2 toilet stops during a half & would be bursting after a mile despite going before I started & I'm not that nervous a person:eek::eek:. I was even saying to myself how am I going to get to the phoenix park to find a tree on marathon day as thats 3 miles in & i'll be bursting by O Connell St:eek:.Got a great bit of advice from Raycun, I think, who said to drink plenty the day before & take it handy the morning/day of the race as you should be hydrated enough & drink to thrist not just because its available.I took it on board & only had one stop during Dublin & that was at 21 miles despite drinking sips from bottles from the second station to there - God help me but I think it was my legs crying out at that stage rather than my bladder but it worked:p:p

lrak wrote: »

Thanks
    dechol wrote: »
    also did 4 hr 57 mins and want to know the secret! also took about six toilet breaks and in awe of you running with no break. can't seem to get that right!

here are a few things i changed from last year and helped me to bring my time down.

1. I continued to run after the marathon, throughout the winter with no significant break. All the plans I followed are on this thread, if you want to check it out. Also i did plenty of races along the way and got new PBs in very distance

2. I started my own log which i highly recommend because the days I was not feeling like a run i just thought of the excuse i'd have to put on the log, not that anyone would pass any remarks, but just having to put it in writing got me out running.

3. I also added intervals and hills into my training, and i just did what i was told so its all about getting the right plan..!!i followed Ecolis plans on the followon thread mentioned above for the DCM class of 2011

4. In Jan i signed up to the 1000m challenge so again that got me out the door when i didn't really want to. And i think fittingly enough i got the 1000m during the marathon.:D

5. I signed up to the Meath running group which was one night a week running with others but its a great motivator. This runs from March to October and is aimed at getting people to improve for the marathon. So if you can join a running club i'd definetely think it would help

6. i also did lots of reading on running and read peoples logs here, books anything i could get my hands on and i picked up tips along the way!

Consistent running is the key, and i also think that a big factor is the slow running. Thankfully i have never hit the wall and i put this down to the slow running. and with the consisten running you are improving your base and aerobic ability all the time!!

As for no toiltet breaks i just didn't drink any water bar a few sips on the morning if the race...i drank plenty for the few days before hand. I drink 2 litres of water everyday anyway so i'm usually well hydrated!!

Good luck to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Do you plan on doing another marathon? Well I suppose better if I'm mentoring next years novices :D Aiming to lose some more weight, start from a better place, stay injury free and give it a real crack next year.

After a week off from running, work and being on the internet, I'm now catching up on posts. All the best PM for mentoring next year's novices. No fear. You'll do a great job. There's a part of me that wishes I could be joining you on the improvers' thread. Today I met a friend of mine who has run 7 marathons and has 2 kids (one of whom has been very sick). He helped me believe it is possible to do another one. As I said in my last post, you never know. I was surprised that my husband was the first person to say to me to do another one.

Good luck PM for next year, although I'm sure you will not need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Younganne wrote: »

here are a few things i changed from last year and helped me to bring my time down.

1. I continued to run after the marathon, throughout the winter with no significant break. All the plans I followed are on this thread, if you want to check it out. Also i did plenty of races along the way and got new PBs in very distance

2. I started my own log which i highly recommend because the days I was not feeling like a run i just thought of the excuse i'd have to put on the log, not that anyone would pass any remarks, but just having to put it in writing got me out running.

3. I also added intervals and hills into my training, and i just did what i was told so its all about getting the right plan..!!i followed Ecolis plans on the followon thread mentioned above for the DCM class of 2011

4. In Jan i signed up to the 1000m challenge so again that got me out the door when i didn't really want to. And i think fittingly enough i got the 1000m during the marathon.:D

5. I signed up to the Meath running group which was one night a week running with others but its a great motivator. This runs from March to October and is aimed at getting people to improve for the marathon. So if you can join a running club i'd definetely think it would help

6. i also did lots of reading on running and read peoples logs here, books anything i could get my hands on and i picked up tips along the way!

Consistent running is the key, and i also think that a big factor is the slow running. Thankfully i have never hit the wall and i put this down to the slow running. and with the consisten running you are improving your base and aerobic ability all the time!!

As for no toiltet breaks i just didn't drink any water bar a few sips on the morning if the race...i drank plenty for the few days before hand. I drink 2 litres of water everyday anyway so i'm usually well hydrated!!

Good luck to you all!

I only realised in these posts that ur DCM history was like mine first walking >7 hrs and then running <5, i'd be delighted if I can keep following in your footsteps to sub 4 which im also thinking 2 yrs or at least 2 FMs!

great advice above as always
    Thanks Again for the thread

Mícheál

Voted Thread Of The Year ! (by all of us it seems :P :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Voted Thread Of The Year ! (by all of us it seems :P :pac:)

Congrats on winning 'new poster of the year'

much deserved :)

Well done everyone and esp.PM... well deserved.

Well Done Everyone, you're a great bunch and your thread deserved to win!!:D

Advertisement