Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I had to look up what VCH piercing(I am a man) was and I would definately run back to back marathons before I would do that, fair play I imagine the marathon will be a doddle to you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Also, I found out that only 27% of last year's marathoners were female, and of those only 21% completed the marathon in 4 hours or less! These are all the positive thoughts that are going to be running through my head on Monday (I hope). Basically telling myself I'm deadly. I cut out a piece on positive thinking from last week's Fit magazine, which I've found great, and hopefully some of the points will stick with me on Monday (and I won't resort to long division....).
    I love this piece of info! I am now feeling very good about a hopeful 4 hour marathon (after one of the lads in work said to me this morning – “4 hours? My brother did his first marathon in 3hrs 20” – grrrrr!) My reply to him was, if you haven’t run one yourself then you’re not allowed to comment on my time!

That is surprising that only 27% of entrants are female, I would have guessed 40/60 if I were guessing
    RayCun wrote: »
    On the other hand, women are much more likely to finish, men are more likely to drop out along the way.
    Exactly, we ladies are deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

5 day weekend starts today, wahoo! Killing me but set alarm for 7am to get into race day habit (be 6am race day but clocks go back so same time!). Healthy brekkie of scrambled eggs on bagel with herbal tea and lots of water to start the day while I read yesterdays FIT magazine for marathon tips - by 9.30 was so tired had to go back to bed for an hour...........eek.png so not so much the race day habit i hope.... Plus they do say rest is good, im just strating it quite early in the day...
    Mine is "I am doing this!" :D
    Can't forget Ms Gaynor's classic 'I will survive....':p
    ......Would I be mad to bring painkillers and immodium in my pocket on Monday in case I need them during the race?
    I always bring with me in my arm pouch as it's just a safety blanket to know immediately there if need them (plus after seeing the pic of the poor number 26 marathoner's 'incident' that kept being re-quoted here few weeks ago I think I will carry Imodium on EVERY run I ever do in the future...)

........ So I looked at last year's marathon as well as a few halves and 8k races, and came up with the (not very scientific) conclusion that men run 10-12% faster than women. So say, if a woman is capable of a 4hr marathon, that is equivalent to 3hrs35 if she were a man!!! Feeling good ladies??? It made me feel good anyway.

Lovin it!! Always get embarrassed when people ask me my time (who are invariably men cos they tend to be more competition & sporty) - so now can I saw 'well in 'Men's' terms I'm actually aiming for 4.05 hr marathon.. he he:D

Oh - and finally had the obligatory dream / nightmare of turning up at the start and then realising had forgotten my chip / number and begin told couldn't run the marathon...... and like someone else who had this dream, my solution was to run home to get it and back (live in citywest so no, not the most efficient means of transport..!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

FiiFii wrote: »

Lovin it!! Always get embarrassed when people ask me my time (who are invariably men cos they tend to be more competition & sporty) - so now can I saw 'well in 'Men's' terms I'm actually aiming for 4.05 hr marathon.. he he:D

I donr 4.05 last year, but when asked I always say 3:65!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

i feel like a child on christmas eve, let me gooooo to carb load and rest! cant be concentrating on work today at all.

Can't concentrate on anything at all, not long back from the supermarket...bags full of plasters, bagels, carb snacks, sports drink...ok so I was supposed to be shopping for the whole family but the other 4 weill have to fend for themselves :eek::eek: And the people at the supermarket who wanted to have small talk about the weather...omg do they not understand that the forecast before Monday really doesn't matter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

LarMan wrote: »
    I had to look up what VCH piercing(I am a man) was and I would definately run back to back marathons before I would do that, fair play I imagine the marathon will be a doddle to you.:D

The VCH took a split second (but it was sharp! :eek:) , the marathon will take me 5 hours & I expect it to be a long slow dull pain. I'll let you know on Monday which I'd do again.
    Actually, before I started training for the marathon, I'd happily have had surgical grade needles pushed through any part of my anatomy than run for 5 hours... :P
    5 day weekend starts today, wahoo! Killing me but set alarm for 7am to get into race day habit (be 6am race day but clocks go back so same time!). Healthy brekkie of scrambled eggs on bagel with herbal tea and lots of water to start the day while I read yesterdays FIT magazine for marathon tips - by 9.30 was so tired had to go back to bed for an hour...........eek.png so not so much the race day habit i hope.... Plus they do say rest is good, im just strating it quite early in the day...

I tried to get into the "early" routine this week & I am SUCKING at it! Gonna aim for 7am for the next few days (like you said, to match with the clock change & 6am on Monday). Anyone else feeling really tired this week? In the afternoons I can't stop yawning. When I woke up this morning I was FULL of energy, like Sleeping Beauty waking from the longest sleep :D, but I know I'll be yawning after lunch! (Edit: yawning as I type... :rolleyes:) The excitement is wearing me out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

RayCun wrote: »
    Green Line LUAS. Terminus is on Stephens Green, beside the shopping centre. They'd need to get off at Milltown and walk down the hill to the marathon route.
    xalot wrote: »
    No prob, you can get the luas red line from Connolly Station or Abbey Street(beside O'Connell Street) to Rialto - about 15 mins. The Green line goes from St Stephens green shopping centre to Milltown in about 15 mins- which would be handy for getting back to the finishing line. www.luas.ie will give you the full station list. I imagine there'll be little disruption to it on the day.

Thanks, much appreciated;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Younganne wrote: »
    As for inspirational sayings, you will see plenty of posters but a few i saw last year and have stuck with me were

"the wall has a door"
    "you're all Kenyans to me"

A few other sayings that i think are good:

"If it was easy everyone would be doing it"

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them"

”It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.”

"That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger"

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't,
    I give myself reasons why I can."

"Believe that you will succeed, and you will."

and of course the one in my signature!!!:D

Thanks YoungAnne, loev them!!

Also found these online, some really clever ones. http://ingenial.com/589

Think I might go with the Crazy Kenyan one! Look out for it around mile 10 anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FiiFii

Lovin it!! Always get embarrassed when people ask me my time (who are invariably men cos they tend to be more competition & sporty) - so now can I saw 'well in 'Men's' terms I'm actually aiming for 4.05 hr marathon.. he he
    I donr 4.05 last year, but when asked I always say 3:65!
    Definitely gonna use this one!!

And you're right. I don't think a single female has asked me what time I'm hoping for, yet every single guy I've spoken to has. I was trying not to think about time, just the finish line, but when asked so much, you can't help it (plus you need to to pace yourself obviously). I do find though that other girls generally just tell you you're crazy and why would you do something so stupid, whereas guys who've never run one have a bit more respect and say they'd love to do one some day (and then ask you your goal time!)

In any race up to 10k, you'll find a lot more females than males. I wonder why so many girls turn away when it comes to the longer distances?!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In any race up to 10k, you'll find a lot more females than males. I wonder why so many girls turn away when it comes to the longer distances?!

Injuries and childcare would be factors - women can be more injury-prone for biomechanical reasons, and it can be difficult to find the time to leave little brats behind for a 3-4 hour training run plus being zonked for the rest of the day afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Just touched down in Dublin woo hoo! Count down seriously on now! Those inspirational sayings are great Anne, thanks. I might make a pacing band for myself tonight if I can figure out how to. Happy Friday everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

LarMan wrote: »

Chain reaction - I too had to look it up - only because you did.

I'm with you on the preference to run back to back marathons !

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Just touched down in Dublin woo hoo! Count down seriously on now! Those inspirational sayings are great Anne, thanks. I might make a pacing band for myself tonight if I can figure out how to. Happy Friday everyone!

let me welcome you to Dublin home of the friendly marathon

pace bands at Expo or link to make own a few pages back

random ramblings .......

wish i was off today, minimal productivity Croke Patk ot not
    (not actually public servant)

actually my 3rd DCM but heading to 1st EXPO..

i work in town 50 yds from finish line, just struck me now as new job since last year

good luck to everyone on Monday
    .... think i've finally lost the plot
    .........bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Went to JJBs to get my jelly beans, place ramsacked with huge queues...no jellybeans...hunt for beloved jellybeans begins....AAAAH:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Went to JJBs to get my jelly beans, place ramsacked with huge queues...no jellybeans...hunt for beloved jellybeans begins....AAAAH:mad:

Try Wheelworx out near liffey valley

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Greenhills Road - Cyclesuperstore, was just there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

The VCH took a split second (but it was sharp! :eek:) , the marathon will take me 5 hours & I expect it to be a long slow dull pain. I'll let you know on Monday which I'd do again.
    Actually, before I started training for the marathon, I'd happily have had surgical grade needles pushed through any part of my anatomy than run for 5 hours... :P

I tried to get into the "early" routine this week & I am SUCKING at it! Gonna aim for 7am for the next few days (like you said, to match with the clock change & 6am on Monday). Anyone else feeling really tired this week? In the afternoons I can't stop yawning. When I woke up this morning I was FULL of energy, like Sleeping Beauty waking from the longest sleep :D, but I know I'll be yawning after lunch! (Edit: yawning as I type... :rolleyes:) The excitement is wearing me out! :D

You'll have to show us all your piercing in Mc Grattans on Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Thanks YoungAnne, loev them!!

Also found these online, some really clever ones. http://ingenial.com/589

Think I might go with the Crazy Kenyan one! Look out for it around mile 10 anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FiiFii

Definitely gonna use this one!!

And you're right. I don't think a single female has asked me what time I'm hoping for, yet every single guy I've spoken to has. I was trying not to think about time, just the finish line, but when asked so much, you can't help it (plus you need to to pace yourself obviously). I do find though that other girls generally just tell you you're crazy and why would you do something so stupid, whereas guys who've never run one have a bit more respect and say they'd love to do one some day (and then ask you your goal time!)

According to two stewarts I was speaking to at the Dublin half, they reckon there was more females than males. Funny enough I would've thought the opposite.

I agree with you about males asking about times I'm finishing in but most females were very supportive and just asking that I finish it in one piece and don't injure myself...the aul female caring nature ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Trampas wrote: »
    For weather I use

http://www.yr.no/place/ireland/leinster/dublin/hour_by_hour.html

The following Special trains will operate

07.05hrs Greystones/Connolly, serving all stations to Connolly, arriving Pearse 07.53hrs
    07.24hrs Malahide/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.54hrs
    07.30hrs Howth/Pearse, serving all stations to Pearse, arriving Pearse 07.59hrs

For full details of services on Bank Holiday Monday 29th October, please see www.irishrail.ie

On behalf of Park Rite, we would be delighted to promote discounted parking offers in conjunction with the Dublin Marathon.

Online pre-book rate (booking before the day) of €7 all day rate in IFSC (Commons Street) – going to www.Parkrite.ie to book online
    OR
    €10 all day rate in Fleet Street (Temple Bar)
    Print off voucher from Marathon Facebook page and present at the car park office.
    Or pick up a voucher at the EXPO.
    Thanks a million for that Trampas....can get dart from Lansdowne Rd instead of taxi. Also many thanks from my friend who's driving up and paid 7 eu/hr for parking last time*

*Probably made her run faster though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Try Wheelworx out near liffey valley
    SnailsPace wrote: »
    Greenhills Road - Cyclesuperstore, was just there

Thanks but Im down in Limerick. After 8 phone calls to various sports shops I have located them in BOOTS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks but Im down in Limerick. After 8 phone calls to various sports shops I have located them in BOOTS

Careful now, no speedy run to the shop, remember SLOW;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

rasher_m wrote: »
    You'll have to show us all your piercing in Mc Grattans on Monday :D
    Even if I wanted to show it off (which I don't!) I doubt I'll be able to! :p

Any non novices go to the running forum at the Expo in previous years know if worthwhile? Seems to be some talks about nutrition and injury prevention....

http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/?page_id=179

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Any non novices go to the running forum at the Expo in previous years know if worthwhile? Seems to be some talks about nutrition and injury prevention....

http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/?page_id=179[/QUOTE]

The audience with Lee Troop should be interesting, he gave a good interview on Marathon Talk recently.

Any one know where you can get any value shirt printing in Dublin, was quoted €18.50 today to print name of Technical shirt

Or is there a practical DIY way to do this that will survive the rain if it comes Monday? market on number bib?

We were just looking t get our name on ......... Hopefully get some of that By Name encouragement when times get rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Newish to running, not long graduated from couch to 5k, and have built up to longest run of 10 miles in the meantime. Marathon 2012, came just a little to early for me this year, but I'm definitely in for 2013, partially inspired by you lot and am building up a base in the meantime.

Just wanted to wish all on this thread the very best of luck on Monday....and I hope you all reach and exceed your own personal goals.

I've found reading here to be truly inspirational and am full of admiration for your determination whatever you achieve on Monday.

I just hope this thread has as many good characters next year, and that some or all of you will be back so that newbies like me can get the benefits of your experience.

Best of luck to you all.........I'll be one of the cheering masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone done it before know if there is sideline entertainment on the route? I've heard of other marathons with Band//music/bongo drums etc to keep you going?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Walkedit wrote: »
    Any one know where you can get any value shirt printing in Dublin, was quoted €18.50 today to print name of Technical shirt

Or is there a practical DIY way to do this that will survive the rain if it comes Monday? market on number bib?

We were just looking t get our name on ......... Hopefully get some of that By Name encouragement when times get rough!

Permanent marker, if you don't intend wearing it again or don't mind going around with your name on show on all your runs after Dublin!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I can’t believe the time is almost here! I’m almost finished work and I am going to try not to read this thread over the weekend. I think I am officially obsessed, checking Boards every 10 mins or so! And I think it’s adding to my nerves, so I think I am going to sign of until Monday or Tuesday until I do my race report.

I just want to wish everyone the very best of luck. There has been some great running and great stories of triumph and despair over the months, but I think everyone on here has done incredibly well and I have no doubt that everyone will do themselves proud on Monday.

Thanks to Younganne for starting this thread and the other ‘old hands’, Menoscemo, Mr Slow, Average Runner, Ray Cun, Running King and all the others that I’m forgetting. Your advice here has been fantastic and no question had been too small or insignificant for you guys to answer.

And thanks to everyone on this thread, I actually feel like I know some of you after all the postings and craic that’s been had! I really think this forum has made the whole training experience so much better, I really think the comraderie and support on this thread got me through some of the tough weeks I had during the training.

So best of luck everyone. I will be hanging round the 4hr pacers and I will have my user name on my number, plus my number is 6800, so pretty easy to remember. If anyone sees me, please come and say hello! Don’t think I will get to McGrattens, so can’t wait to read all the race reports on Tuesday. So run your heart out everybody! Good luck! xxx

Advertisement