Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

ncmc wrote: »
    I’ve just been thinking about this the last couple of days, I normally listen to music or an audio book on my LSR’s and had been planning to wear my earphones on Monday, but I’m beginning to have second thoughts. On one hand, I like having the distraction of music, but then on the other hand, I would miss a lot of the support and also the organisers strongly advise against using them, so I am dithering over bringing them or leaving them at home. Was anyone else planning to listen to music?

I'll be bringing the headphones. Better to have them and not use them , than need them and not have them.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    I'll be hanging around with all my good buddies the kenyans ;)

Don't be fooled by the times that I got
    I'm still, I'm still
    Johnny from the block
    Used to have a little, Now I got a lot
    No matter where I go I know where I came from
    :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Was thinking about this also, would be great to meet up at the expo on Sunday, I plan to be there lunch time, 1ish probably. Would be lovely to meet some boardies there:-)
    Too early for me :(. My train doesn't get into Heuston till one and by the time I've got Luas/Dart out to Rds I'd say I won't be there till bout half 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

For those staying in the Maldron and worried about porridge. Mrs Messiah was on the phone to them and spoke to the duty manager, who put her onto the head chef, who is going to put porridge on the menu from 7am on Mon morning. (She had rang asking for a communal microwave to be provided but they didn't seem keen on that ! :D)

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ahh...I would've loved to meet up with all of you but I'm thinking Saturaday might be better if I'm on my feet for a few hours at that thing or maybe I'm sheltering myself too much??
    Nah...Saturday is for wimps. All the cool people are going on Sunday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Too early for me :(. My train doesn't get into Heuston till one and by the time I've got Luas/Dart out to Rds I'd say I won't be there till bout half 2

May still be there by then...I'll be soaking up all the info I can get!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

+1 on the headphones...I used to listen to music but stopped a few months ago and absolutely love running with only my own thoughts...have been imagining the buzz of Monday the last few runs, wouldn't consider listening to anything that might spoil the atmosphere :-)

Watch out for this man on Monday :D

hwcti2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

snowman224 wrote: »
    I'll be bringing the headphones. Better to have them and not use them , than need them and not have them.
    :)

+1 on that, I'm used to running with them so as everyone says dont change anything at this stage - if I dont need them then I wont use them but I can imagine theyl be a few times when I might need a bit of uuummpphh to get me through.I dont see myself needing them all the time but theyre like a comfort teddy at this stage:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

For those staying in the Maldron and worried about porridge. Mrs Messiah was on the phone to them and spoke to the duty manager, who put her onto the head chef, who is going to put porridge on the menu from 7am on Mon morning. (She had rang asking for a communal microwave to be provided but they didn't seem keen on that ! :D)

Great stuff that's a relief! Thank Mrs Messiah for me! I've had restless sleeps thinking about porridge last couple of nights (and baby bottles like you suggested last week for heating milk)

Was considering buying one tomorrow! :D

Will be down to the chef at 6.59am monday morning!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Great stuff that's a relief! Thank Mrs Messiah for me! I've had restless sleeps thinking about porridge last couple of nights (and baby bottles like you suggested last week for heating milk)

Was considering buying one tomorrow! :D

Will be down to the chef at 6.59am monday morning!

Was about to post this ....

"You can thank her yourself on Sunday night - she will be in the hotel"

But it just sounds dirty. :D

I'm sure we will hook up though at some stage to put a face to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Watch out for this man on Monday :D

hwcti2.jpg

I can assure you that if he did that to me, he'd never do it again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

tomred1N wrote: »
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    I can assure you that if he did that to me, he'd never do it again. :mad:

Exactly this! The cheeky little so and so

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I see some of you guys have signed up for Berlin next year. I thought I was the only lunatic-I signed up for Paris last Wednesday when it opened. 7th April. Possibly a bit premature given that I havent even got one marathon under my belt yet but will be nice to stay focused and keep this running up.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

How long do ya reckon you should give yourself at the expo? As in do you have to queue for long to collect race packs/ pace bands etc? I'm jus trying to work out what time I should book the last supper for  Go before or after the expo?? All these dilemmas 

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Sara2002 wrote: »
    I see some of you guys have signed up for Berlin next year. I thought I was the only lunatic-I signed up for Paris last Wednesday when it opened. 7th April. Possibly a bit premature given that I havent even got one marathon under my belt yet but will be nice to stay focused and keep this running up.

I thought I was being adventurous with signing up for Belfast next May, now I see you lot going to Berlin & Paris! I have a feeling that my wife would have preferred the latter.

Though I have a half in Malta to look forward to and of course theres Athy for the Tri!

I'm going to enter the lottery for NY in November though, just for the craic.

Now, I just need to start my first marathon before all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Right folks, as ye're all probably fit to explode waiting for Monday, a quick few points before the big day:

- Sleep well Saturday night, Sunday you'll be too nervous
    - Have all your gear laid out on Sunday afternoon at worse
    - Do nothing new/wear nothing new/take nothing new
    - Drink plenty water but not too much
    - Stay off your feet on Sunday if at all possible
    - If you want a pint on Sunday night, have it. If you want a skinful, don't
    - Get in and out of the expo as quick as you can - all the stuff, chat, talk,opinions will wreck your head
    - Make a plan and stick to it - be realistic
    - Wear a pace band for your pace
    - If you're following a pacer, stick with them - they know what they're doing and chat away to them, they're mainly nice folk if somewhat mad:D.
    - Don't worry about the legs been sluggish at the start - tis normal
    - There is nothing to mess you up like your own mind
    - The road doesn't open up until after halfways so don't panic about the crowds. Crumlin is a right curse of a place in my mind
    - Avoid the first 2 water stops. I got a water bottle nicked at the first one and rugby tackled by a girl who knocked me onto the table at the second one last year. Tis crazy so just avoid. Carry a little bottle with you for the first couple of miles
    - Never stop at the first water table - you will get abuse from others and get run into
    - Run a negative split or aim for one. If its 4h 30m, hitting halfway at 2 h 17 m is fine
    - You will discover a world of pain from mile 18 on - this is normal
    - You will talk to yourself - this again is normal
    - You will promise never to do this again - totally normal
    - Pain is your friend
    - Don't wear headphones, the crowd will spur you along as will your fellow runner. Chat away to someone and run along with them, the miles will fly by
    - Vaseline yourself like you're going to slide down a dry pipe
    - If you can't run no more, keep moving - DO NOT STOP - you will seize up and that ain't pretty
    - Aim for the finishing clock
    - Smile as you cross the linne and under the finishing line
    - Get your breath back
    - Decide what your next marathon will be
    - Find a pub

All the best boys and girls, ye all come home walking like John Wayne and i'll be along the road at a couple of places giving ye a shout out. If you have a bad day, don't despair as everyone has bad days, its what you learn from it is the thing.

You've done the training so this is the easy bit.

And of course, McGrattans has no stairs:p

The old one ^ speaks a lot of sense, his logic while sometimes frustrating rarely has an argument that can be put against it.:)

The only thing I can add is to savour it, once you've crossed the finish line you're a marathoner and like something else I won't refer to, the second time, while fiercely enjoyable too will lack that palpable anticipation and excitement about venturing into unknown territory. Enjoy it kids, take in the crowds and soak up the atmosphere. You'll be recanting your adventure for a long time, make sure it's a good story.;)

(Make it past the finish to McGrattans)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Quick question..

Having firstly pulled a muscle at the beginning of taper, and then getting ill.. I haven't actually ran since last Wednesday. I think I'm starting to come out of it now (touch wood) so hopefully should be okay for Monday.

My legs are well rested at this stage. Should I just wait til Monday now, or should I risk a short run on say, Saturday or Sunday (if I'm fit and able obviously)? Just to loosen up the muscles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

chinguetti wrote: »
    - You will promise never to do this again - totally normal

If you don't say that something is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Quick question..

Having firstly pulled a muscle at the beginning of taper, and then getting ill.. I haven't actually ran since last Wednesday. I think I'm starting to come out of it now (touch wood) so hopefully should be okay for Monday.

My legs are well rested at this stage. Should I just wait til Monday now, or should I risk a short run on say, Saturday or Sunday (if I'm fit and able obviously)? Just to loosen up the muscles?

Most training plans would have you doing a short run (2-3 miles) on either saturday or sunday. So no harm in doing so if you are up to it (to be honest if you are not up to it you shouldn't be doing the marathon anyway :p).

It will definitely help you shake off some rust. Just don't get totally paranoid if you feel a bit lethargic; that would be totally normal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

All our experienced friends here (and any 'last minute' list posted) have advised lathering up with vaseline or similar.

I've not had any issues with my gear on any run either long or short, I'm very comfortable in my shorts and wear skins under my T so haven't experienced chaffing there. I also wear a heart monitor and haven't had an issue.

am i just lucky to have avoided this or am i missing something? will the extra 6miles cause the issue? or is it the increased speed over the whole distance?
    I've seen it many times here and I'm getting concerned that I'm going to get torn to shreds, for the first time, in my 1st marathon!!

All our experienced friends here (and any 'last minute' list posted) have advised lathering up with vaseline or similar.

I've not had any issues with my gear on any run either long or short, I'm very comfortable in my shorts and wear skins under my T so haven't experienced chaffing there. I also wear a heart monitor and haven't had an issue.

am i just lucky to have avoided this or am i missing something? will the extra 6miles cause the issue? or is it the increased speed over the whole distance?
    I've seen it many times here and I'm getting concerned that I'm going to get torn to shreds, for the first time, in my 1st marathon!!

Do exactly what you would on a long run, if you need lube use it if not leave it, I don't suffer chafing either so you're not missing anything.;)

My nipples didn't survive the half so I will be greasing up like a mud wrestler myself for the full. If you've done 20 miles without chaffing and are wearing the same clothes I don't think the other 6 will bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Packing to fly back to Ireland for this. It's actually happening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

What great posts and advice from marathons past - just what I needed tonight & they have really lifted my spirits - bad day at the office, had to go to the doc and turns out I have bronchitus so I am on antibiotics and an inhaler - fingers crossed the pain in my chest will be gone by Monday morning and I'll be able to hear the crowds, climb Roebuck road and cross that finish line for the first time. Bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

peggysue2 wrote: »
    What great posts and advice from marathons past - just what I needed tonight & they have really lifted my spirits - bad day at the office, had to go to the doc and turns out I have bronchitus so I am on antibiotics and an inhaler - fingers crossed the pain in my chest will be gone by Monday morning and I'll be able to hear the crowds, climb Roebuck road and cross that finish line for the first time. Bring it on!!

PeggySue, did you tell the Doctor you plan on running the marathon and did he say it was ok to do it. If you have bronchitus and are on antibiotics you might not have the energy for 26.2+ miles and it could turn into a very difficult run. I hope you get your energy back and the race goes to plan for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Your talk on headphones got me thinking, I didn't wear any for the half. But I do for all my training. I planned on strapping my iPod to my arm for the marathon. The earphones have pause/volume control, so was thinking ill put them on low volume to hear the atmosphere also. I think it will help for the last few miles! But now I'm 50/50...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Anyone else wishing it would just start already?

Getting a little tired of work mates/etc constantly bringing it up. Kinda wish i hadn't said i was doing it in work now...

• Advertisement

peggysue2 wrote: »

I trained through a low grade virus last year and even though I was unwell on the morning of the marathon I raced, I ran 3:29 and suffered from the first mile, my running career has been on pause since, Monday will be the anniversary of my demise.I now suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it affects every aspect of my life - I had shaved 46 mins off of my marathon time in a year, now I'm struggling to put 4 miles together at 9 min miles.

There are other races, don't be stupid.

Advertisement