Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Anyone done it before know if there is sideline entertainment on the route? I've heard of other marathons with Band//music/bongo drums etc to keep you going?!

Il play the bongos beside you stephen if it makes you feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SlowSprint

I'm getting excited reading these posts now.

I'm just recovering from a cold, I really hope my energy levels recover by Monday morning!

Last year was my first, and I started flagging at Miltown, I'm hoping to be in better shape this year.

Hoping to stick by the 4 hour baloons for the journey!

Best wishes,

SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Best of luck Everyone, thanks to Anne and everyone else for the advices, this thread has been a golden mine for information and if I make it under the 4hours ( or make it at all) that will be thanks to many people's advice on this forum.

Enjoy the race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Best of luck to everyone who's taking part on Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

SlowSprint wrote: »
    I'm getting excited reading these posts now.

I'm just recovering from a cold, I really hope my energy levels recover by Monday morning!

Last year was my first, and I started flagging at Miltown, I'm hoping to be in better shape this year.

Hoping to stick by the 4 hour baloons for the journey!

Best wishes,

SS.

In the same boat here.. just recovering after a nasty cold/flu thing. Has me doubting my abilities despite full training up to half way through taper. Just have to dig in on Monday and hope for the best!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone done it before know if there is sideline entertainment on the route? I've heard of other marathons with Band//music/bongo drums etc to keep you going?!
    There will be lots of people cheering you, I actually prefer Dublin to London in this aspect. In London it's almost a constant wall of sound, in Dublin you have moments of calmness between groups of great support. Your never far from a crowd though.
    There will be some people who put stereos out their front gardens playing uplifting tunes, there will be kids high fiving you, there will be some official sponsor areas with music playing and people cheering, there will be lots of shouting from other runners as you go under bridges.
    I can't remember any bands on the side from previous runs in Dublin, but that doesn't mean they were not there. Must be some pub along the route that sticks the house band outside playing to us somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Back from the shops all stocked up for next few days... lots of pasta, rice, veggies, oats etc (oh, and some chocolate, for like 'energy'... :))

Turned v cold out there so hope everyone has their warm clothes plan for Mon morning or be miserable hanging around at the start! Have an old hoody that was gonna give away so wearing that but thinking trip to Penney's after expo tomorrow is on the card to get cheap trackie bottoms & gloves so can stay warm..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Trampas

Run fat boy run is on rte 2 tomorrow night.

good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Oh my god I am a bag of nerves today. A few people have told me they are coming to watch and now thinking I will probably make a show of myself and take about ten hours to finish!!! Was driving along route at one stage today and felt sick with nerves! On the good side made a sign with my kids ( says" worst parade ever" ) and bought lots of jelly babies and bananas for them to hand out so look out for them around ternure.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Younganne wrote: »

Permanent marker, if you don't intend wearing it again or don't mind going around with your name on show on all your runs after Dublin!!!;)

thanks Anne I got myself a perm marker. It seems appropriate as you're not same after 26.2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

Trampas wrote: »
    Run fat boy run is on rte 2 tomorrow night.

good laugh

That's what put the idea of Marathon running in my head............hooked.com

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Didnt understand/really believe in "taper madness" until this evening! Have now succumbed to a VERY bad dose of it! All jittery and unsettled. Whose idea was it to have the marathon on a Monday??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

If anyone happens to find my marbles on the route can they please return them to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Finally the expo is tomorrow! Saw on the website that we collect our numbers at the expo, so I might actually get a t-shirt that fits! I'm normally too slow :o & end up with an XXL :(
    I'm going to wear my t-shirt every day after Monday. But not before. I have to earn the right to wear it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Finally the expo is tomorrow! Saw on the website that we collect our numbers at the expo, so I might actually get a t-shirt that fits! I'm normally too slow :o & end up with an XXL :(
    I'm going to wear my t-shirt every day after Monday. But not before. I have to earn the right to wear it! :rolleyes:

You normally don't get a t-shirt until you cross the finish line......I have never heard of them running out for the marathon. I hear this year they are black and long sleeved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gotta get me one of those.:p

Made out a pace band for my target time (3:54) + my optimistic (3.50) and pessimistic (3.59) targets. Alongside the list of times I have three coloured blocks. For the first 8m it says STFD, for the 2nd 8m its HTFU, for the last 8m it's STFU ('cos I'll probably be raving & spouting lots of cwap at that stage)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

^^^ Haha very good :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    You normally don't get a t-shirt until you cross the finish line......I have never heard of them running out for the marathon. I hear this year they are black and long sleeved.

Aww! Says on the expo home page "All racers are required to attend the Dublin Marathon Expo to pick up their race number, timing chip & T-shirt." Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers they still have small ones left after 5 hours... :(

http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aww! Says on the expo home page "All racers are required to attend the Dublin Marathon Expo to pick up their race number, timing chip & T-shirt." Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers they still have small ones left after 5 hours... :(

http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/

Maybe they have changed it this year. We'll find out tomorrow :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Maybe they have changed it this year. We'll find out tomorrow :D
    I hope so! But I'll be wearing mine on Tuesday even if it's like a tent :D

• Advertisement

Shortie you should run the 3/4 in Athlone next year - they have the best t-shirts. I love mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Walkedit wrote: »
    Any one know where you can get any value shirt printing in Dublin, was quoted €18.50 today to print name of Technical shirt

Or is there a practical DIY way to do this that will survive the rain if it comes Monday? market on number bib?

We were just looking t get our name on ......... Hopefully get some of that By Name encouragement when times get rough!

I got my t-shirt printed in Reids Sandyford, there Nassau St store is open tomorrow, you can also try any Lifestyle sports stores.

Shortie you should run the 3/4 in Athlone next year - they have the best t-shirts. I love mine :D

We'll see how long I'm saying "never again!" for after this! If I'm eyeing up DCM2013 :eek: I might try the Athlone 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    I can’t believe the time is almost here! I’m almost finished work and I am going to try not to read this thread over the weekend. I think I am officially obsessed, checking Boards every 10 mins or so! And I think it’s adding to my nerves, so I think I am going to sign of until Monday or Tuesday until I do my race report.

I just want to wish everyone the very best of luck. There has been some great running and great stories of triumph and despair over the months, but I think everyone on here has done incredibly well and I have no doubt that everyone will do themselves proud on Monday.

Thanks to Younganne for starting this thread and the other ‘old hands’, Menoscemo, Mr Slow, Average Runner, Ray Cun, Running King and all the others that I’m forgetting. Your advice here has been fantastic and no question had been too small or insignificant for you guys to answer.

And thanks to everyone on this thread, I actually feel like I know some of you after all the postings and craic that’s been had! I really think this forum has made the whole training experience so much better, I really think the comraderie and support on this thread got me through some of the tough weeks I had during the training.

So best of luck everyone. I will be hanging round the 4hr pacers and I will have my user name on my number, plus my number is 6800, so pretty easy to remember. If anyone sees me, please come and say hello! Don’t think I will get to McGrattens, so can’t wait to read all the race reports on Tuesday. So run your heart out everybody! Good luck! xxx

+1 to pretty much all of that. I was running alone almost all the way through the last 18 weeks but I wasn't training alone thanks to the advice, support and company from everyone here. I'm planning to be somewhere between the 3:45's and 4:00's on Monday, black & fluorescent green t-shirt with my name across the front, no. 8018, with my Boards name on it. Please feel free to throw a STFD, HTFU or STFU my way, as the situation merits. :D

Might see some of you at the Expo on Sunday midday/lunchtime, others on the day, and may not even know I'm standing beside you. But it's been great fun. Enjoy the final steps on your way to the elite 1% of the world's population who'll ever complete a marathon. And hopefully we'll all be home in 1 piece, sooner or later.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Early bird on Kildare Marathon open till 30th of November for those looking at spring marathon next year. Its on 12th May 2013.

tang1 wrote: »
    Early bird on Kildare Marathon open till 30th of November for those looking at spring marathon next year. Its on 12th May 2013.
    Is that your new goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is that your new goal?

I dont know, thinking of doing the half. Want my first marathon to be Dublin for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

My house is on the marathon route, so I'm currently "working"/ making banners to put up outside the house for himself and some friends (and hoping he'll return the favour by doing me one). Any words of inspiration I should put up on a banner for everyone else? Have you seen anything clever that would get people pumped. My house is at the 10 mile mark.[/Quote]

One I like at the moment is

"what you do now you will have done forever"

and my main one - my username actually - that pushes me through any hard thing I have to do is

"Won't Just Happen" (WJH)

nothing just happens but if you want it it will be worth the effort (and I really want to tweet a picture of me in the finishers tshirt sayin 'been there, done that, got the t-shirt')

Good luck everyone - glad to know I'm not alone, we're all in this together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What's this! People still up posting on boards?is that a glass of wine I see you having?

Get thee straight to bed! You have a Marathon in 3 more sleeps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Just looking at a route map there on the dublinmarathon website. Where are the portaloos along the route???? Is there one at every water station? Will there be long queues at them? Hoping not to lose too much time queuing!

Advertisement