Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lots and lots of effort and some heartache along the way to get here. Best of luck shels - really hope it goes to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Lots and lots of effort and some heartache along the way to get here. Best of luck shels - really hope it goes to plan.

Thanks, I know havent races since last july now, so planning on enjoying every step of this no matter how hard it gets. You have had a hard time of it also, any progress with the injury?

Wed 18th April.
    5 miles today with 3 @ marathon pace(ish). Legs felt really good today and was hard to stick to target pace. Needed to check the garmin a lot just to be sure the pace wasn't getting to fast(most of the run it was but not by much). Was really moving well today and can't wait to hit the roads now on Sunday....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

shels4ever wrote: »
    Thanks, I know havent races since last july now, so planning on enjoying every step of this no matter how hard it gets. You have had a hard time of it also, any progress with the injury?
    Rehab, lots and lots of rehab. Split my hamstring tendon in two at the back of my knee. Be a while yet.

You've done the training, you'll be fine!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Rehab, lots and lots of rehab. Split my hamstring tendon in two at the back of my knee. Be a while yet.

You've done the training, you'll be fine!

Outch :(. Noting worse than been injured, only pluse side is that when your not you enjoy it that much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

You will have no problems Sunday shels, good luck :)

Thursday 19th April
    30 mins easy in corkagh today. Last run on the green stuff for a while. Hope to get a mile or two in on Sat morning depending on the area I'm in. Legs were feeling super today best in a long long time....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck shels.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Skidrow

Take it handy at the start and ease yourself into it. Best of luck Shels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck shels, you deserve a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Shels. Hope you run a great marathon. Looking forward to hearing the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good luck in the morning Shels and hope you enjoy it.

To really into big race report but will give this one a little more once i'm back. The short story is arrived on Friday and had a quick visit to the expo to pick up number for myself and theroadrunner. Took it really easy friday evening naps and an early night. Legs were feeling so so good and just couldnt wait to get going.
    Popped down to a local pizza place for some pasta, on arrival noticed a few runners about and tadese was about two tables down. Good to see that these lads just to the same as us prior to a race.

Race day.
    Got down to the start nice and early and chekced out where I was starting around this time I knew that I was going to need to watch the pace for the first few miles. Was starting just behind the UK cc runners, and could almost touch the world record holder at the start. Where was the masses of people and congestinn????

In short the race was going totally to plan, first mile was about 5-10 seconds to fast but was mostly down hill . From mile 2 I was slapping hands with kidds and having a bit of fun with the crowd. Kept a close eye on pace as I could have easly run alot faster thorugh these miles. Got to mile 5 just slightly quicker than expected, but having a ball knew what was coming at about 7 miles was the cutty sark, this part of the race basically made my day, dropped the pace a little going around this section to get a good look, Wow wow wow .... I would come back again just for that 200m section.

The next few miles are a bit of a blur now and was running really well pace was about 8:45/50 but running really relaxed. Just had to keep holding back for now. Reached 11-12 miles stll slapping hand with kids on the route and takign in as much as possible. rounded the cornor onto London bridge and nearlly passed out at the sight, This was amazing and support was just first class, there was a hill at this section but didnt notice it. Pace picked up a little but quickly slowed down. At this potin couldnt believe I was almost half way through the race, Felt like I had only covered 5 miles and was starting to feel really good. Had visions of speeding up now but kept the pace to target.
    Next few miles a couple of bands along the route and the half way mark, think I went through some where around 1.55/56 and was still buzzing with the crowd. Hit the 16 mile feeling good and and hoping that I might run a nice last 10, kept telling myself to relax and just run easy easy .
    At about 16 miles went up a slight hill and felt a slight tweek in the quad but though nothing of it, eased back for about 10 seconds then back on target. 100m further down the road felt it again..mmm and again.. Ended up stopping to stretch it out , going back running again and felt good when the full quad cramped up.
    From then managed to get back running and got to 17 miles but felt it again around then, needed to stop at the next water station to stretch at this point couldnt even walk. Managed to get going again but was getting really worried that this wasnt going to go . Sat down to stretch it out and had some help from someone on the course. Cryed like a baby for abotu 1 min at this point and though the race was over. But got back up and hobbled the next 800m . From there on managed some sort of run walk hobble for the next 4 miles. At this stage the leg was going into cramp each time I ran. So just decided that I was going to walk to the finish and enjoy the race. From 21-24 miles were great had some fun with the crowd but some aspects werent so good, seen 5-6 people been pulled of the course and at one point had to catch a guy who passed out beside me. Hope he was ok, not sure what the correct protocol in a race is, but though it wise to wait with him

From then one it was a case of making to the finish was still full of enegry and a little frustrated. Tried to run again and 22 miles but with the same results. So just kept plodding away reached birdcage walk and knew the end was close and now knew that no matter what happened with the leg I'd get to the line. Jogged down the last 800m just having some crack with the crowd and came onto the Mall - This was just an amazing finish and lapped it all up. crossed the line just insided 4:28 which is fuuny because it was actualyl a pb in the end but not the way I had expected.

If anyone ever gets a chance to run this race no matter how fit or unfit you are just do it. Its the most amazing thing i've ever done.

All in all very happy with making the start line , happy to make the finish line but there is a but what if there.....Not sure what I did wrong , Don't think the pace was to fast, wasnt injured coming into the race, and not injured finishing apart from a really sore quad right not I dont feel bad at all. So will decide whats next in a few days. The hardest part was the witty remarks from brinaderunner over beers last night :) THANKS BRIAN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Tough day for you M, but good on you for persevering and getting your PB. I was watching it on tv and it looked amazing over there.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Tough day for you M, but good on you for persevering and getting your PB. I was watching it on tv and it looked amazing over there.

Thanks, how are you set yourself now? 3:44?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great going Shels to keep it going when it was agony from reading your report.

Glad that you enjoy the day and well done on finishing in a PB in London. Tis a great boast to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Shels! Great report and great hustle finishing the race with a dodgy quad. How is it feeling today? Hope there's no long term damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I love your positive spin....your glass is half full attitude. Well done!! And a PB is a PB!! But next time you'll smash it to bits! :)

• Advertisement

Well done Shels! Great report and great hustle finishing the race with a dodgy quad. How is it feeling today? Hope there's no long term damage.

Very stiff today, so going to feed it a few more beers and hope that helps. Will know more tomorow but fairly sure it just cramped up and not a pull. Funny thing is my dodgie calf doesnt even feel like its been running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Luck wasn't on your side. You didn't run the time your training deserved but it will come with a bit of patience ;)

Luck wasn't on your side. You didn't run the time your training deserved but it will come with a bit of patience ;)

Well it was better than Berlin.

We'll see, I'll try for sub 3.45
    Who knows what will happen on the day

I think your more than capable of running that time :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good motivation to keep going through to the finish - less high 5ing the next time you were probably over compensating on that side :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You seemed to be going great guns, what do you think went wrong shels? I know your quad cramped up, but do you think that was just pure bad luck or was there some other reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Great run Shels. Some pain in the jacksie that cramp ruins all the prep. Still... a PB is a PB. You give a great account of London marathon as an event. From someone who has never had much interest in doing it, I'm beginning to think I'd like to do it with the atmosphere you describe.
    Well done again

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    You seemed to be going great guns, what do you think went wrong shels? I know your quad cramped up, but do you think that was just pure bad luck or was there some other reason for this?

Honestly think it might have been becaue of a few things, was holding back a little on down hill sections over the first few miles, but not sure thats a factor, could have been short 1-2 long runs from a few sick weeks early in the plan, or maybe just a little bit more running on the road is needed. Maybe a bit of all 3. I know it wasn't down to hydration or over training i've actually taken a lot from this race from TRR lessons on carb loading. I'm geting closer to actually running very well just need a little more time...

Advertisement